Options

[Board Games] Saving the world from Monopoly and Life, one person at a time

• Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    @ObiFett, buddy, I love you, don't read the rest of this post.
    I'm heading off to my parents' for Christmas. I'll be bringing X-Wing to play with friends and family, but I need a few more TIEs, so I asked my mum to pick a couple up for me when she happened to be in town shopping.

I just got a text from her, letting me know that she managed to pick up one TIE Fighter, one TIE Advance, and one TIE Interceptor.

Yeah. I know. I immediately called her for more information. Apparently the store just had one on the shelf, for unexplained reasons. She had no idea it wasn't on general sale or anything.

So. That happened.

:D

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Tayrun wrote: »
    I'm heading off to my parents' for Christmas. I'll be bringing X-Wing to play with friends and family, but I need a few more TIEs, so I asked my mum to pick a couple up for me when she happened to be in town shopping.

I just got a text from her, letting me know that she managed to pick up one TIE Fighter, one TIE Advance, and one TIE Interceptor.

Yeah. I know. I immediately called her for more information. Apparently the store just had one on the shelf, for unexplained reasons. She had no idea it wasn't on general sale or anything.

So. That happened.

...I hate you.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012

So. That happened.

The fact that your mom made those excellent buying decisions deeply impresses me for some reason. Way to go, mom!

EDIT: In other barely-related news, we welcomed a proto-game-player into our house this week. This means that the family can eventually support 4-player games. Excellent.

jergarmar on
    When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The only thing stopping me from buying the ships from Xwing is I would also need the main set but there is NO way I am going to pay for than list for it

Also I bought Netrunner

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Buying multiple core sets to get play sets of cards seems like the exact opposite intention of having an LCG in the first place :s

Side note: any idea how long amazon's current deals will last? Im hella interested in getting 7 wonders for like 18 bucks off but I am short on cash right now.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    jergarmar wrote: »

So. That happened.

The fact that your mom made those excellent buying decisions deeply impresses me for some reason. Way to go, mom!

I was similarly amazed.

Bedlam wrote: »
    Buying multiple core sets to get play sets of cards seems like the exact opposite intention of having an LCG in the first place :s

Yeah there not being a great way to get a full set of the base cards from Netrunner is annoying me. I'm really not up for buying two more core sets to get three copies of all the singletons.

I wonder if the card trading sites are likely to start trading Netrunner cards - it's not got the randomisation from boosters though, so maybe there's less of a market. Hmmm.

• Options
    jergarmar wrote: »
    EDIT: In other barely-related news, we welcomed a proto-game-player into our house this week. This means that the family can eventually support 4-player games. Excellent.

Almost missed this.

WHOOOO! :D Excellent news!

Another soldier in the fight against roll-and-move...

• Options
    You do realize if the core sets had full sets that they'd be more expensive, right? They do the core sets like they do so people can get in to try it--you only need the full sets to be competitive, not to just play. They want the bar to entry to be lower, which is a good thing.

• Options
    Yeah, and I agree that's great. I just wish I could buy a product which is simply the rest of the cards needed to bring the core set up to 3x each.

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    You do realize if the core sets had full sets that they'd be more expensive, right? They do the core sets like they do so people can get in to try it--you only need the full sets to be competitive, not to just play. They want the bar to entry to be lower, which is a good thing.
    True, but their price point wouldn't increase by much since printing a couple dozen more cards isn't exactly cost-heavy. It's just them trying to make the game a bit more profitable, which is alright.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    To be fair, most of the singletons are singletons because they are either unique (can't have more than one out at a time) and/or don't really need to be included more than once in a deck.

We feel our strategies are not limited by just our Core Set. We don't play in tournaments, though, so there's that.

• Options
    I get the feeling that this will be moot by the time a couple more data packs come out and card variety increases drastically.

• Options
    I definitely plan on getting double core sets of Star Wars, but since I got my first set for $6.50, that's not such a burden, heh. Though, for Star Wars, its also all the main characters you'll want 2 of. But at least the deck limit is 2, so its not too bad. I'd probably hate having to buy 3 Starters myself. I know it kept me from getting further into LotR.

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    I am just not convinced you really really have to buy multiple sets. I play lots of LOTR games, and I only have 1 core set and a couple of expansions.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I think the core-set card-counts in Netrunner are pretty stupid. It's justifiable as a cash grab, but the other reason for it? So you can take all of a faction + neutral cards and have a legal deck. Yup, singletons just so Timmy doesn't have to remove 10 suggested cards. :(
    And no, in the Netrinner core you would want 3 of pretty much every card. The consoles are about the only thing that would be overkill, but in the meantime they give you 2 Rabbit Holes. Seriously, ridiculous. As for the printing cost increases, they would add an extra ... what, 20-25% of cards? So again, even if you make me pay an extra 35%, it's 65% less than buying a second core set.

We can justify their choice in myriad ways, but at the end of the day it's an annoying decision solely to make people buy extra product (gotta love business designed to screw with the people most supportive of your product :/).

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    poshniallo wrote: »
    I am just not convinced you really really have to buy multiple sets. I play lots of LOTR games, and I only have 1 core set and a couple of expansions.

Well, in Star Wars, if you want to have a better chance of drawing Luke, Vader, Han, or whoever, you want 2 sets, simply because that'll give you 2 copies. However, its also true in Star Wars that you tend to see most of your deck--generally you'll have about 15 cards left at the end. But still, if you want consistency, a second copy in a 50 card deck sure helps.

In LotR, I found that it was more that, at least with just the base set, you ended up restricted on what sort of teams you could have. If my wife wanted to play a certain type, I just simply couldn't use that same type, because I didn't have the cards.

• Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    Having 2 sets of LOTR really helped because then you at least can put in three of some of the cards that only come as doubles. The singles, as apparently with Star Wars, are usually uniques so having three isn't always the most useful thing.

If I ever find a third core on for sale at a really good price I might get it, but I'm really happy with 2 and I play it enough it wasn't terribly onerous to have to buy more than one. But yeah, if the core cam with 3x of each card I would have been a lot happier.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Oh sure, of course I understand that it helps to have more, and why.

It's just, I dunno, I find people tend to say X is necessary for something game-related, whether it's a WOW build, an LCG card, or a boardgame expansion, and I always want to know how important it actually is. Like, I enjoyed Rune Age without the expansion, but it was really really important to the game. Core Worlds has been fabulous, the expansion looks even more fabulous, but it's much more optional than the Rune Age one was.

Equally, I used to play Netrunner CCG, and it was probably the CCG that needed the least expanding, mostly because of the asymmetrical play and the excellent starter decks. Decipher's Star Wars CCG had that Force/Fate/whatever number mechanic that boosted the 'weak' cards, giving me a lot of deck-building options with only a few cards.

Others, like LOTR: LCG, I get your point about how limiting your options are, but I don't have a partner to share the pack with, so I just bought the expansions which had heroes I liked.

I just wish people would say 'useful because X' more, instead of 'must-have'.

poshniallo on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Yeah, I wouldn't be able to play two spirit-heavy decks in LOTR, but at the same time, I just don't see myself wanting to do that, as 2 player is when I want to be able to create synergies.

Plus, even with two sets, you'd be limited to the same set of unique heroes, already making it difficult, because of rules instead of cards, to play two of the same focused type.

I've not felt the need in LOTR to buy a second set, mostly because it comes down to about three cards that I'd really want one more of, and that's just not worth it. Plus, I could just proxy them.

Edit: Also, *snrk* this is what I played tonight. http://db.tt/jSWBK11y

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Septus wrote: »

Well that's the first time I've ever got any amusement from Carcassone.

• Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    I just finished a game of TI3 for the first time ever!

8 hours, won as the Winnu. :)

I take back some of my criticisms- in that particular game, the politics worked beautifully, just as the designed, and the combat also worked.

My love is reaffirmed.

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    congrats

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Hensler wrote: »
    Septus wrote: »

Well that's the first time I've ever got any amusement from Carcassone.

I happen to like the game, but some of the expansions are real turds. They are kind of hit or miss.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Carcassone is a fantastic family game. Inns and Cathedrals essential. Pretty much all other expansions to be ignored.

And quoting myself from the G and T secret Santa thread:

Anarchy wrote: »
    It seems that the mere mention of waiting for the missing part 2 of 3 of my gift was enough to summon the postman to my door an hour or so later. So without further ado:
    GiftGet.gif

My daughter Molly poses with the pile. Two Amazons and a home packed.

A458985B-D745-47A7-A627-FA576C784570-4250-0000032CA3D25C44.jpg

Gift one is the little Amazon package. And comes with bonuses on label! The fun and experimental Double Fine Amnesia fortnight bundle and the frankly ridiculously extensive THQ bundle! Redeemed already so no need to hide the codes from sneaky internet thieves.

49B25DCF-D58E-40C1-A09F-30F5AF823C0D-4250-0000032C9E4E37D5.jpg

Contents, the Hellboy Companion! I love Hellboy and BPRD and this handy collection of plot lines, biographies and artwork will save the regular delving back into my library when a new issue requires searching for clarification of a previous plot point.

4EF65DA9-6132-409F-B8C0-F8A3FB72760C-4250-0000032C976EE3A8.jpg

At this time, no idea who Santa is.

On to the BIG package.

E5E33864-B2AA-44AB-86B5-488CA9E0017C-4250-0000032C8C495075.jpg
    (bonus cameo of daughter 2 in gestation sneaks in here courtesy of my wife)

272799B8-F185-4898-AE22-4398B0934937-4250-0000032C91F96827.jpg

0270280D-DBE9-41F1-B521-91EBF1F61782-4250-0000032C8623D601.jpg

09A0692C-5A96-4494-989E-DF15BBABCA71-4250-0000032C7E05D7E1.jpg

Lords of Waterdeep! Woo! Just in time for family Christmas game times, sweet. My family loves a game of Settlers of Catan but seems to go cross eyed and drift away during an explanation of the rules of Puerto Rico. I hear the complexity of this this is closer to the former than the latter so feeling hopeful!

Package label starts to narrow down Santa as we're now looking at the narrow pool of people I've played forum D&D with in the past who also post in G&T.

And on to the last package. It seems to have been posted from within the UK, which combining with the D&D information Cluedo (or Clue if you're a Yank) style gives me a definite prime Santa suspect.

791A71DD-83B6-46FD-8309-CE8C33131E37-4250-0000032C71236DFC.jpg

Kinder Eggs and Lego! One Kinder egg has gone boom in the post but luckily I have no qualms over eating floor chocolate. The other one is swiftly grabbed by Molly!

04F9A939-B1C8-4704-AA42-BCBB043ED133-4250-0000032C77C155D1.jpg

And finally a Christmas card and some Steam monies. The card confirms suspicions that the Santa responsible for all this brilliant stuff is my old comrade in arms @Anarchy aka Lucan Loreweaver! Massive thanks man. A great haul.

BF22D0C7-55EC-44E7-A125-FCABA3FD33F5-4250-0000032C6B04ACE5.jpg

Bonus pictures:

Kinder Egg toys to race:
    D6348368-4E06-4138-8B46-136360CF1357-4250-0000032C5FBAF800.jpg

And sausage versus siege crossbow who will win?
    C6F7DC0D-6D19-4026-8785-CCB942891BB3-4250-0000032D1D8D5F5D.jpg

Very glad its all finally arrived. I was rather worried when you said you hadn't recieved Gift 2 as my super secret tracking indicated it was out for delivery. Glad you liked it all, let me know how Lords of Waterdeep works out.

Tried it out tonight with the in-laws and it seriously could not have gone any better.

- Simple rules with easily graspable goals.

- All done in a nice concise time frame.

- I can call the cubes wizards and rogues while my mother-in-law calls them purples and blacks and everyone is happy.

- Close score line right until the end.

- I won.

Hell, even my Father-In-Law who often loses interest half way through a game and starts taking his turns at random was engaged right up to final turn.

Really good stuff. Could not be more pleased.

Thanks again!

Phone posting so not able to edit out the earlier irrelevant quote levels.

I can see why the hardcore board gamer might find Waterdeep a bit shallow, but for my purposes it was absolutely fucking spot on.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    My group just got Lords of Waterdeep, and we really like it so far. Admittedly we've only played two games, but I expect it to hold up for a while. And I'd consider us pretty hardcore board gamers in general.

Sometimes it's nice to have a game that plays quickly enough that you can manage several games in an evening. Also, the combination of tight, elegant (euro-y) gameplay with actual theme less dry than eg. subsistence farming* in the 18th century is one of my favourite things.

*Not that I don't like Agricola, I've even been playing a few solo games because I'm so anxious to get to play it again.

• Options
    Played lots of games today, including Alien Frontiers with the expansion, which I was really pleased with. I really liked how it made the endgame semi-secret, to prevent overcalculation dragging out the game.

Played Lords of Waterdeep, Takenoko, lots more today, and saw many more played, but the two highlights for me were Quarriors, played with the new rules and Quarmageddon - much less random than I was led to believe, and very fun despite its lightness.

... and Spartacus. Haven't watched the TV show, but I will now, and we will definitely be playing the game again. A combination of the evil politics of Diplomacy, AGOT etc, combined with an elegant little combat system for gladiatorial combat. The tone is light enough, somehow, that you don't mind the backstabbing and politicking. Maybe because it makes you be a shit to each other from turn 1, unlike that Risk moment where you break a 2-hour alliance for the first time.

• Options
    jakobagger wrote: »
    My group just got Lords of Waterdeep, and we really like it so far. Admittedly we've only played two games, but I expect it to hold up for a while. And I'd consider us pretty hardcore board gamers in general.

Sometimes it's nice to have a game that plays quickly enough that you can manage several games in an evening. Also, the combination of tight, elegant (euro-y) gameplay with actual theme less dry than eg. subsistence farming* in the 18th century is one of my favourite things.

*Not that I don't like Agricola, I've even been playing a few solo games because I'm so anxious to get to play it again.

I enjoy Lords of Waterdeep the more I am allowed to read out the cards and take in the flavour-text. I like all the little stories.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    There are some people I have found online that sell the singles of Netrunner but they want $$ for it

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Are you guys who want multiple core of LCGs sets playing at a tournament level or something?

• Options
    Namrok wrote: »
    Are you guys who want multiple core of LCGs sets playing at a tournament level or something?

Its not always about that. Like I said, in Star Wars, if I want to have a deck that has like a 80% chance to draw Luke, or Han, or Vader, or Tarkin, then I need 2 core sets.

And that's true of most things. If I want a deck that focuses on Storm Troopers, doubles of the storm troopers are going to help with that. I don't need to play in tournaments to want those kind of options.

I don't think I'd ever buy three core sets though, like you "need" for some of the LCGs. But 2 is reasonable to me.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular

Its not always about that. Like I said, in Star Wars, if I want to have a deck that has like a 80% chance to draw Luke, or Han, or Vader, or Tarkin, then I need 2 core sets.

And that's true of most things. If I want a deck that focuses on Storm Troopers, doubles of the storm troopers are going to help with that. I don't need to play in tournaments to want those kind of options.

I don't think I'd ever buy three core sets though, like you "need" for some of the LCGs. But 2 is reasonable to me.

Since you are limited to 2 copies of a single objective per deck, there's no reason to get more than 2 for SW.

And it's not really needed. I mean, right now it is but in a couple of years once there are a bunch of force packs out (which do come with a complete playset) you could probably build a competitive deck with just one copy of core.

Also, LCG was never intended to be "one copy of every purchase", just not having blind packs and a more regular release schedule than a CCG. Early Game of Thrones and Cthulhu pack releases had 3 copies of commons and just 1 copy of rares, requiring 3 packs to get a playset. That is something I'm glad they got away from. I don't mind multiple copies of core sets.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Carcassone is a fantastic family game. Inns and Cathedrals essential. Pretty much all other expansions to be ignored.

It seems that the mere mention of waiting for the missing part 2 of 3 of my gift was enough to summon the postman to my door an hour or so later. So without further ado:
    GiftGet.gif

Gift one is the little Amazon package. And comes with bonuses on label! The fun and experimental Double Fine Amnesia fortnight bundle and the frankly ridiculously extensive THQ bundle! Redeemed already so no need to hide the codes from sneaky internet thieves.

Contents, the Hellboy Companion! I love Hellboy and BPRD and this handy collection of plot lines, biographies and artwork will save the regular delving back into my library when a new issue requires searching for clarification of a previous plot point.

On to the BIG package.

Lords of Waterdeep! Woo! Just in time for family Christmas game times, sweet. My family loves a game of Settlers of Catan but seems to go cross eyed and drift away during an explanation of the rules of Puerto Rico. I hear the complexity of this this is closer to the former than the latter so feeling hopeful!

Package label starts to narrow down Santa as we're now looking at the narrow pool of people I've played forum D&D with in the past who also post in G&T.

And on to the last package. It seems to have been posted from within the UK, which combining with the D&D information Cluedo (or Clue if you're a Yank) style gives me a definite prime Santa suspect.

Kinder Eggs and Lego! One Kinder egg has gone boom in the post but luckily I have no qualms over eating floor chocolate. The other one is swiftly grabbed by Molly!

And finally a Christmas card and some Steam monies. The card confirms suspicions that the Santa responsible for all this brilliant stuff is my old comrade in arms @Anarchy aka Lucan Loreweaver! Massive thanks man. A great haul.

Bonus pictures:

Kinder Egg toys to race:

Very glad its all finally arrived. I was rather worried when you said you hadn't recieved Gift 2 as my super secret tracking indicated it was out for delivery. Glad you liked it all, let me know how Lords of Waterdeep works out.

Tried it out tonight with the in-laws and it seriously could not have gone any better.

- I can call the cubes wizards and rogues while my mother-in-law calls them purples and blacks and everyone is happy.

- I won.

Hell, even my Father-In-Law who often loses interest half way through a game and starts taking his turns at random was engaged right up to final turn.

Thanks again!

I can see why the hardcore board gamer might find Waterdeep a bit shallow, but for my purposes it was absolutely fucking spot on.

This convo put Lords near the top of my to-buy list.

I hope the boxing day sale at my FLGS includes their board games. Surprisingly good selection. Otherwise, I'll have to wait for shipping from Meeplemart, which is also an awesome board game resource.

Edit: Oh, and I meant to ask if anyone has played Mice and Mystics. Is it really rad? Because it looks really rad.

pic1463221_md.jpg

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Tomanta wrote: »

Since you are limited to 2 copies of a single objective per deck, there's no reason to get more than 2 for SW.

And it's not really needed. I mean, right now it is but in a couple of years once there are a bunch of force packs out (which do come with a complete playset) you could probably build a competitive deck with just one copy of core.

No, I know about SW, I meant more in the case of Netrunner and such, where you need up to 3 Cores.

And yeah, down the road you obviously don't need to worry about it as much, but for now, a second core set definitely helps.

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »
    Edit: Oh, and I meant to ask if anyone has played Mice and Mystics. Is it really rad? Because it looks really rad.

pic1463221_md.jpg

Pretty sure I have a copy under my Christmas tree. I'll post my thoughts as soon as it hits the table.

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »

GiftGet.gif

On to the BIG package.

Bonus pictures:

Kinder Egg toys to race:

- I won.

Thanks again!

This convo put Lords near the top of my to-buy list.

I hope the boxing day sale at my FLGS includes their board games. Surprisingly good selection. Otherwise, I'll have to wait for shipping from Meeplemart, which is also an awesome board game resource.

pic1463221_md.jpg

It's really rad.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Settlers Junior

Good game for kids (6 and 4 1/2) ?

I don't even like real Settlers, but.... seems like everyone else does, and my sisters kids live in Atlanta, so I won't even have to play it.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    I mind any time a company asks me to buy things I don't need to get things I do. If I buy multiple core sets of some LCG, I will have 6 or more of some cards. If they're designing the proportions of the cards in the core sets to get people doing that, then I'll not buy that product. It actually makes me quite mad. I'm always surprised some people don't mind.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    poshniallo wrote: »
    I mind any time a company asks me to buy things I don't need to get things I do. If I buy multiple core sets of some LCG, I will have 6 or more of some cards. If they're designing the proportions of the cards in the core sets to get people doing that, then I'll not buy that product. It actually makes me quite mad. I'm always surprised some people don't mind.

That's one nice thing about SW--you only end up with two extras, and that's because they added a double of a 1x only pod to the core so that all the starter decks could be built at the same time.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    For what is most likely the last boardgaming this year, I managed to sneak another game of Dominare in. It's kind of funny how bad I am at this game. I'm not entirely sure why. Other players fare much better, so I don't think it's anything to do with the game itself. My usual approach to games just doesn't seem to mesh with this game. And for some reason this makes me eager to play it again and to get better and more adapt at it. I think I am just fascinated by this game because it is so strongly dependent on you having a solid strategy in place as you play. It really comes down to setting up the board in such a way as to get the biggest possible payoff in the last round. All while fighting off meddling opponents and just general combativeness from the other players. It's a strange mix, but the more I play it, the more ambitious I become.

Unfortunately the game does tend to take about 3 hours. I don't think I am likely to find people with whom to play this regularly. It also seems to me that knowing what cards are out there lets you play a more focused and stronger strategy, but considering there are about 100 unique cards in this game, this seems unnecessarily difficult.

Wrapped up the night with a game of Escape (Curse of something or other). It was the game with the biggest buzz in Essen, but it was also hideously expensive for what is a fairly basic real-time dice game. It's fun, though. I can see enjoying this with the right group of people. If it were half the price, I'd probably pick it up right away.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    If my experience with Warhammer Invasion is any indicator, I sincerely doubt you need to buy multiple copies of the LCG core sets. If you are really anxious to deck build as much as possible I guess you can. But after buying a complete cycle (6 battle packs) I'd almost entirely stopped using most of the cards from the core set. By the time I was about halfway through the second cycle, there may have been one or two cards from the core set I still cared about. And the battlepacks always have 3 copies of all the cards, so you don't have to worry about buying multiple sets of those either.

At least, that's how it worked with Warhammer Invasion. Not sure how the style of play in the other LCGs quite maps out to card counts and such.