Options

[Board Games] Saving the world from Monopoly and Life, one person at a time

• Options
    bbqsandwichbbqsandwich Registered User new member
    I only own Towers of Ruin, so I can't speak definitively, but I believe Towers of Ruin is intended to be the Thunderstone Advance "core game", with the other two being expansions. I'd start with Ruin.
    Figgy wrote: »
    Thunderstone Advance. Which one do I want to start with?

Root of Corruption, Towers of Ruin or Towers of Bane?

• Options
    The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Tayrun wrote: »
    I am so jealous of y'all Yankees with that Amazon sale.

The X-Wing expansions are around $17 each here in merry fucking Britain.

:(

I sympathize with this.
    Not because things are horribly expensive here in Canada (they aren't, although the general 20-35% increase on anything over the US does get tiresome, but whatever, it's not EU or AU levels of stupidity), but because I bought my BGG Secret Santa 2 expansions to Quarriors. And since he lives in Denmark, it cost me just over $100.
    I know shit is silly over there, Tayrun. So I do indeed sympathize.

And I have to live with this every day D:
    But I see you found something for your santee. Did you spend any time on the Danish sites, or did you go straight for Amazon.co.uk ?

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

YOU DONT GET TO COMPLAIN

I CAN'T AFFORD TO CREATE A CREDIBLE IMPERIAL FORCE TO GO UP AGAINST MY MILLENNIUM FALCON AND A-WING PAIR WITH THEIR X-WING AND Y-WING BACKUPS OMG WOE IS MEEEEE! :rotate:

How many points does your Rebel squad with the Falcon add up to on the table when kitted out?

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Figgy wrote: »
    Thunderstone Advance. Which one do I want to start with?

Root of Corruption, Towers of Ruin or Towers of Bane?

Towers of Ruin. It's the base set and you need it. The rest...meh. The whole game is pretty meh actually.

More meh than the original, or just equal meh?

I find it very meh as well, and sort of a less well-accomplished version of Dominion. Some people I game with find the more easily embraced theme attractive, though.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    The Mantiz wrote: »

I sympathize with this.
    Not because things are horribly expensive here in Canada (they aren't, although the general 20-35% increase on anything over the US does get tiresome, but whatever, it's not EU or AU levels of stupidity), but because I bought my BGG Secret Santa 2 expansions to Quarriors. And since he lives in Denmark, it cost me just over $100.

But I see you found something for your santee. Did you spend any time on the Danish sites, or did you go straight for Amazon.co.uk ?

He was involved with another secret santa which was apparently local. I contacted his friend who was his Santa to make sure we didn't get him the same stuff. He pointed me towards a site that had the best price on those particular games, which I believe was GamesLore.uk or something. I had checked the Danish sites, but it didn't seem any more worth my while (UK ships to DU cheap while still knocking off dollars, so it seems to be the best route for me).

And don't worry, Dude, I know this is the pain you live with regularly.

• Options
    TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Farangu wrote: »

Yikes. Those are some commuting times right there. Ah well.

IIRC there's a lokel yokel store that just popped up, I can always go and pray for the best.

If you're up north look at Unique Gifts and Games. We have a solid community building up rapidly. A friend ran the Kessel Run event and had a full house for it.

TheColonel on
  • Options

I sympathize with this.

He was involved with another secret santa which was apparently local. I contacted his friend who was his Santa to make sure we didn't get him the same stuff. He pointed me towards a site that had the best price on those particular games, which I believe was GamesLore.uk or something. I had checked the Danish sites, but it didn't seem any more worth my while (UK ships to DU cheap while still knocking off dollars, so it seems to be the best route for me).

I will have my relief when I visit California in april. I'm going to buy all the boardgames!

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    edited December 2012

I sympathize with this.

I will have my relief when I visit California in april. I'm going to buy all the boardgames!

Where at in California? Endgame in Oakland is my favorite gaming store in the country, and I've been to hundreds. I can't say enough great things about that store.

Hensler on
  • Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Hensler wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »

YOU DONT GET TO COMPLAIN

I CAN'T AFFORD TO CREATE A CREDIBLE IMPERIAL FORCE TO GO UP AGAINST MY MILLENNIUM FALCON AND A-WING PAIR WITH THEIR X-WING AND Y-WING BACKUPS OMG WOE IS MEEEEE! :rotate:

How many points does your Rebel squad with the Falcon add up to on the table when kitted out?

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    I just fucking love Blood Bowl so much. I play the broad spectrum of board games but nothing can ever match the feeling of falling 3 - 0 behind, coming back to 3 - 3 and, on the last turn being a single GFI from winning the match and fail. What a roller-coaster. What a fucking rollercoaster.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    edited December 2012

I sympathize with this.

Where at in California? Endgame in Oakland is my favorite gaming store in the country, and I've been to hundreds. I can't say enough great things about that store.

It is a 3 week study trip, and we will spend 5 days in L. A. and then travel up the coast to San Francisco where we will spend about a week there and in Santa Cruz. Then we are going to travel to Yosemite and some of the other national parks.

And since we have a whole week in San Francisco it shouldn't be impossible to go to Oakland, even with a tight schedule. I'll definitely mention it to the guys I'm traveling with. Luckily a few of them are some of the guys in my game group. Not big collectors themselves, but they love to play.

The Mantiz on
    3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I just fucking love Blood Bowl so much. I play the broad spectrum of board games but nothing can ever match the feeling of falling 3 - 0 behind, coming back to 3 - 3 and, on the last turn being a single GFI from winning the match and fail. What a roller-coaster. What a fucking rollercoaster.

Same here. It's wacky and random but it also involves a lot of skill, figuring out what needs to be done first to minimize risk. I have to say though, playing two consecutive games in pouring rain gets pretty hilarious. Last match we spent five or six rounds of the first half just squabbling over the ball next to where it landed - people just couldn't pick it up, it kept slipping out of their hands and onto the field or others, and even when someone did get it, they just got sacked next turn.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    i dont typically play a lot of board games, but im super excited about the copy of Dungeon that i bought for my family for christmas. me and my brothers and our parents played the original version of this so damn much in my youth, and this is a gussied up brand new version of it that came out recently. i cant even wait to get my brothers and their kids together over the holiday and crack into it!

• Options
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    i dont typically play a lot of board games, but im super excited about the copy of Dungeon that i bought for my family for christmas. me and my brothers and our parents played the original version of this so damn much in my youth, and this is a gussied up brand new version of it that came out recently. i cant even wait to get my brothers and their kids together over the holiday and crack into it!

I was fucking astounded to see that relaunched the other day. I, too, played that game for god knows how many hours.

• Options
    This doesn't really go anywhere, and we discussed it here before, so:

Solforge, the TCG for iOS, PC and eventually Android, which got kickstartered awhile back, e-mailed me to say you could get a free demo for ipad right now. Which sucks, because I don't have an ipad. And the real version won't be available till the end of Q1CY13. And the Android version won't be around till summer. Blargh.

• Options
    Got to play with and against the X-Wing Interceptor tonight - it's a very fun little ship. Not enough to make me switch to playing Imperials, but I really like it's special movement ability and the named pilots who come with it. Boost and Turr Phennir are going to be big game changers for the Imps.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Got to play with and against the X-Wing Interceptor tonight - it's a very fun little ship. Not enough to make me switch to playing Imperials, but I really like it's special movement ability and the named pilots who come with it. Boost and Turr Phennir are going to be big game changers for the Imps.

:|

• Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    I seem to remember in the X-wing novels there was some sort of ship with like an X-wing fuselage and TIE wings named an X-TIE or something....

• Options
    Alright, worded that funny. Got play with the Tie Interceptor in the X-Wing Game :D.

• Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    The X-Wing Interceptor: Epitome of confusing technology. Fool your friends! Fool your enemies! No wait don't shoot!

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Lykouragh wrote: »
    I seem to remember in the X-wing novels there was some sort of ship with like an X-wing fuselage and TIE wings named an X-TIE or something....

There are X-TIEs and Y-TIEs. They're "Uglies", made from scraps and busted ships.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    53996.jpg

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    That looks pretty badass.

EDIT: Actually... it looks more than a little like a Gunstar (from The Last Starfighter). What are the mechanics for Death Blossom? :)

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Personally it reminds me of the thing they built in Stargate as a cross between a Jaffa glider and a US F/A-18, that was badass

Finally broke down and went to target last night and got my own X-Wing core set :P

• Options
    Nullzone wrote: »
    Personally it reminds me of the thing they built in Stargate as a cross between a Jaffa glider and a US F/A-18, that was badass

Finally broke down and went to target last night and got my own X-Wing core set :P

One of us. One of us. One of us.

• Options
    The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »
    53996.jpg

This is the only Ugly which I would actually consider fielding. Interceptor wings make everything cool.

• Options
    Shut up you, I can quit when I want

• Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular

I did that on Tuesday.

Also ordered one of each of the expansions off Amazon.

I have no one to fucking play this with why did I do that!?

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Bloodsheed wrote: »

I did that on Tuesday.

I'm trying very hard to resist the urge to get extra ships because it means I'd have to get a foam kit to store it all and the foam kit would have extra room so I'd buy more ships

It's a vicious cycle

Nullzone on
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Edit: Bleh. Forum imbeding doesn't take into account starting the video at a later point. Nevermind.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »
    53996.jpg

This is the only Ugly which I would actually consider fielding. Interceptor wings make everything cool.

Do they make one that combines an A-Wing and an Interceptor? That'd be ridiculous.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Must be strong. Must not buy into the Star Wars miniature game.

Maybe I'll dig out on my old West End Star Wars RPG 2nd Edition books.

• Options
    I've just been constantly pressuring my Star Wars buddy. Every time you guys link a new sale, I e-mail it to him.

• Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    A friend of mine bought one of each of all the items available. I went out and got a base set so we had more dice and the extra ships. I am trying to be strong and hold out for the Falcon and A wings.

IWBRLjC.png
  • Options

I did that on Tuesday.

All the expansions? Well then you can play against yourself! Right Hand Rebels, Left Hand Imperials.

• Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular

I did that on Tuesday.

I'm trying very hard to resist the urge to get extra ships because it means I'd have to get a foam kit to store it all and the foam kit would have extra room so I'd buy more ships

It's a vicious cycle

I have many, many foam cases thanks to my old Warhammer habit. Which makes this worse because I know this pattern, I should have known better.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options

I did that on Tuesday.

It's a vicious cycle

I have many, many foam cases thanks to my old Warhammer habit. Which makes this worse because I know this pattern, I should have known better.

At least there are only the two armies.

Right?

• Options
    jabrams007jabrams007 Registered User regular
    The Core Worlds expansion is mine! So excited to play this. The box is BIG! It can easily hold the base game, expansion, and at least 2-3 more future expansions. The new homeworlds are cool, I love the idea of capital cities and I'm looking forward to what they can do with different ones in future expansions, and the Galactic Orders themselves will add an entirely new layer to the game. Plus the art is gorgeous as always.

• Options
    I was reading some of the designer diaries about the Core Worlds expansion and it looked amazing. It was really interesting reading about how they didn't want to have the expansions be restrictive in any way, and instead constantly give you stuff. It was especially fascinating reading about how they balanced factions. Originally they were just worth points at the end of the game for the leader, but that discouraged people from going for them once someone had a sizable lead. So they added the ability to cash in your faction points for one time bonuses.

What was most interesting is that they playtested the expansion a ton before they published the base game. It was so fun, when they went back to try the base game again before it's street date, it felt flat. This caused them to worry it wouldn't sell.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I love Amazon prime so much. The stuff I ordered yesterday came already, and I didn't specify next day shipping! Now to wait until I can gift these to my friend so we can play.

4dm3dwuxq302.png