Options

[Board Games] Saving the world from Monopoly and Life, one person at a time

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    poshniallo wrote: »
    I mind any time a company asks me to buy things I don't need to get things I do. If I buy multiple core sets of some LCG, I will have 6 or more of some cards. If they're designing the proportions of the cards in the core sets to get people doing that, then I'll not buy that product. It actually makes me quite mad. I'm always surprised some people don't mind.

That's one nice thing about SW--you only end up with two extras, and that's because they added a double of a 1x only pod to the core so that all the starter decks could be built at the same time.

And it could be vastly worse.

Like, say, with random boosters. Where you might be buying 14 cards you don't want per pack and 1 you might need.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Yeah, I didn't like CCGs.

The only one I really bought a fair bit of was the Decipher Star Wars one, and that's because I got Darth Vader in my first booster, sold it back to the shop, and actually made a profit overall, despite picking up some more boosters.

'It could be worse' - That's true, but doesn't make me like companies explicitly trying to tack package shit I don't want on to things I do.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Played some EPYC to hilarious effect since I couldn't lay hands on Cards Against Humanity. The mechanics of just screwing around folding sheets of paper was a challenge, though. Anyone have a better way to quickly and painlessly support the mechanics of the game?

Also, tried out some Dixit. It was pretty popular and enjoyable, once we all got a feel for exactly how vague was appropriate.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Found an auction selling Quarriors for 1300 yen!

Doesn't finish till 1am tonight. I guess I will go to bed late.

Gotta prepare Santa stuff anyway. And assemble a bicycle.

Yay Xmas!

• Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    I have the worst fucking luck when it comes to Betrayal at House on the Hill. I'm either a traitor with pisspoor equipment or none at all, or I'll be hero and roll terribly throughout the game. I'm pretty sure out of the 9-10 times we've played thus far I've only won once. Still fun though!

• Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh man I just played the quick start rules version of X-wing minis. If I didn't already know how good the rebels can get with lots of upgrades I would think it was hopeless for them. I just don't get how equal skill players are supposed to be balanced in the starter set.

IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    ElderCat wrote: »
    Oh man I just played the quick start rules version of X-wing minis. If I didn't already know how good the rebels can get with lots of upgrades I would think it was hopeless for them. I just don't get how equal skill players are supposed to be balanced in the starter set.

The quick start match isn't equal points? :/

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    It can be, I think it's Skywalker vs. Night Beast and an obsidian squadron pilot

• Options
    Its rookie pilot vs academy pilot and obsidian pilot. 21 vs 25 pts, but the biggest thing is the 2 on 1. The ties can just outmaneuver the Xwing.

IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Its rookie pilot vs academy pilot and obsidian pilot. 21 vs 25 pts, but the biggest thing is the 2 on 1. The ties can just outmaneuver the Xwing.

An X-Wing can eeeeasily smoke 2 TIEs.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options

2 on 1 is bad, yeah, but not as bad as it's sounding here. If the X-Wing doesn't get at least one TIE, that's pilot error or horrific luck.

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    I got confused about the facing on my Ties first time I played X-Wing and played the wrong manuever on my dial. Sent my Obsidian pilot off to hang out by himself at the edge of the table, and my Academy pilot got vaporized before he corrected course and got back in the fight. So it was basically two 1v1 fights, and the X-Wing easily won both.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I have the worst fucking luck when it comes to Betrayal at House on the Hill. I'm either a traitor with pisspoor equipment or none at all, or I'll be hero and roll terribly throughout the game. I'm pretty sure out of the 9-10 times we've played thus far I've only won once. Still fun though!

Have you tried Mansions of Madness? In my opinion it makes Betrayal totally obsolete. Not only does it actually have respectable game mechanics, but it bumps the narrative fun factor up too. How many rounds of Betrayal have old professors deliver flying jump kicks to monsters? NONE. Mansions has stuff like that happening every turn!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfkHkdu5IEI

It's really not even that much more complex for the players. Only the Keeper has more stuff to keep track of. Much easier to manage giving the Keeper role to a capable player. Compare that to Betrayal where you always have a good chance of the traitor role going to a casual boardgamer who's going to mess it up without anyone knowing.

MrBody on
  • Options
    FatedToPretendFatedToPretend Registered User regular
    Christmas brings me (via the ever awesome girlfriend, and her habit enabling parents):

Cosmic Encounter
    and
    A Game of Thrones: The Card Game

The first because I've been talking about how much I want to play it for a while, and the second because I'm really rather bad at any game where the primary mechanic involves cards (in any way). I tried to drunkenly read through the rules to each of them, but I figure it's an effort best saved for a clearer head. Anyone have any tips on either game?

Merry Christmas to you all!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    We haven't opened gifts yet and I don't anticipate getting any but I did force my sister to learn and play Innovation with me. I had a lot of fun, she had less fun but was a very good sport about it. I also the family to Galaxy Trucker which went over much better. It was nice to get away from Euchre and Ticket to Ride (last year's big introduction).

So tempted to push my luck and try Agricola with them.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    While my folks didn't get me anything boardgamey for Christmas, I've spent the day teaching my dad to play Star Wars X-Wing, and he's fallen completely in love with it.

Boxing day he's going straight out to buy more ships. He insists that with one more X-Wing he'll beat me. Whoo! :D

I guess he's one of us, now? :/

Tayrun on
  • Options
    RiqaRiqa Registered User regular
    Christmas brings me (via the ever awesome girlfriend, and her habit enabling parents):

Cosmic Encounter
    and
    A Game of Thrones: The Card Game

The first because I've been talking about how much I want to play it for a while, and the second because I'm really rather bad at any game where the primary mechanic involves cards (in any way). I tried to drunkenly read through the rules to each of them, but I figure it's an effort best saved for a clearer head. Anyone have any tips on either game?

Merry Christmas to you all!

Which version of A Game of Thrones card game is it? There is the original LCG one based on the books, while a stand alone one based on the TV series just came out a month ago that plays fairly similar to the original but supposedly simplified the rules. FFG has a video on their site for the LCG that's not too bad for learning the basics of the game. While much of it probably applies to the TV version I'm not sure what was changed, FFG doesn't seem to have posted the rules for it anywhere. Most of the game phases are fairly straight forward but the challenges (combat) phase is the most involved and is where the bulk of the game takes place.

3DS: 3411-1583-6442
    Steam: Noai
    Warframe: Fairwoods
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    yay Netrunner came in the mail yesterday! an Awesome Xmas present to myself!

Now to get people to play with me

• Options
    The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Woop! Got Bohnanza as one of the presents from my girlfriend. That has been on my wishlist for such a long time.

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    FatedToPretendFatedToPretend Registered User regular
    Riqa wrote: »
    Which version of A Game of Thrones card game is it? There is the original LCG one based on the books, while a stand alone one based on the TV series just came out a month ago that plays fairly similar to the original but supposedly simplified the rules. FFG has a video on their site for the LCG that's not too bad for learning the basics of the game. While much of it probably applies to the TV version I'm not sure what was changed, FFG doesn't seem to have posted the rules for it anywhere. Most of the game phases are fairly straight forward but the challenges (combat) phase is the most involved and is where the bulk of the game takes place.

As far as I can tell from a quick search on BGG, it's the original LCG, so thanks for that link, it's fairly informative even if I know I'll still screw up the rules for the first few plays.

Tempted to try and get my parents to play Galaxy Trucker this afternoon, though its probably too whimsical for them. We'll see how they day progresses

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Received X-Wing Miniatures games from a secret santa!

Quite a surprise, never really considered the game but it looks great. Now I can maybe follow what you guys are going on about here
    May my wallet be saved from the lure of expansion sets.

Alegis on
  • Options
    Mr. Mojo RisinMr. Mojo Risin Registered User regular
    Woo got Thurn and Taxis bundled with 2 expansions from my girlfriend for Christmas. We are in Germany with her parents for christmas so its the German version but I grabbed the english rules and hopefully going to get a game in today!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Got sniped on Quarriors - no problem, the post-Xmas sell-off will net me a game or two, hopefully Quarriors.

Sorted out my Xmas voucher from my long-suffering mum, and ordered:

Merchants & Marauders
    City of Horror
    Core Worlds: Galactic Orders

They will be going to her house and then she'll be sending them on to me here in Sunny Nippon.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

• Options
    The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    The Mantiz wrote: »
    Woop! Got Bohnanza as one of the presents from my girlfriend. That has been on my wishlist for such a long time.

And now I just got Android Netrunner. Great succes!

8->

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Unwrapped Wiz-War and Castle Panic.

I was gonna say great success, but Mantiz already did, so: it's hard to overstate my satisfaction.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    My wife got me Merchants & Marauders for Xmas which was a bit too dense for the family that afternoon (we did Xmas this weekend). So, instead, we all played 7 Wonders for the first time. That went quite well, despite my mom asking constant questions constantly and everyone being exasperated with her. She even had the cheat sheet!

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Unwrapped Wiz-War and Castle Panic.

I was gonna say great success, but Mantiz already did, so: it's hard to overstate my satisfaction.

Played my copy of Castle Panic! last night with wife, sister and her fiance and my mom.
    It was a lot of fun, you get some tense moments where there is a buildup of enemies all in the same section and you have no idea how you're going to deal with it. Ended up winning in the end with half the castle still standing. We had wiped the board before the last monster got drawn and it was...a goblin. Which was hilarious for to me thinking of these massive hordes attacking the castle and they all die, then the one lone goblin who was late to the party comes charging out of the woods...

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I feel like a dick for being a bit disappointed with my BGG secret Santa, but they said not a thing the whole event, and while Seasons was on my wish list (yay!), it was rather low. I guess I've just gotten enraptured in the usual insanity we see around these boards (<3), and I really can't complain given the ludicrous generosity of my critical failures Santa.
    I hope everyone has an awesome and game-filled Christmas!

(I will not, as my family is both tiny and comprised of non-gamers, except my brother who is away this Christmas. Alas, I pass on my unused festive gaming cheer to you all :) )

• Options
    Merry Christmas, everyone. :)

*smoochies with tongue under the mistletoe for all!* (Whether you want it or not. Pucker up. ;) )

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Tayrun wrote: »
    Merry Christmas, everyone. :)

*smoochies with tongue under the mistletoe for all!* (Whether you want it or not. Pucker up. ;) )

Awkward times at Tayrun's family gathering!

Merry Christmas.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Seeing as how I imagine you look like your avatar; That seems fairly pleasant.

IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Seeing as how I imagine you look like your avatar; That seems fairly pleasant.
    Someone is going to be horribly disappointed.

And by someone, I mean you.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Nope, no matter what happens, you can't take away my imaginary french kiss from Katee Sackhoff. And then we played some X-wing, while she lamented the lack of a tactical mini game for BSG.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Muwahaha. Enough CSI gift certificates to preorder a nearly full set of Wave 2. 5 A-Wings, 5 Interceptors, Falcon and Slave 1s. Is it February yet?

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    I just made a list with 3 yt-1300s in it. It was pretty scary.

IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

Would that just be three generic pilots?

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »

Would that just be three generic pilots?

Fuck that, Lando in one, Han in the second, Chewie in the third.

• Options
    CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Tayrun looks nothing like his avatar... I have met him and I was dissapointed.

• Options
    Yeah, 3 outer rim smugglers, with gunners, 2 of them have mercenary co-pilots.

Or cheaper ($), and perhaps even scarier: 1 yt-1300 and the Millennium Falcon:
    Chewy in the Falcon with Draw their fire, Concussion missiles, and a weapons engineer.
    Lando with Nien Nunb, and Concussion missiles.

That's a lot of combo-goodness.

IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    Carcassone is a fantastic family game. Inns and Cathedrals essential. Pretty much all other expansions to be ignored.

What about Traders and Builders? I've bought Carcassonne recently and pretty much all the family likes/loves playing it, I went looking through the 20+ expansions and found these two to be recommended to buy, leaving others alone.