Options

[25 years of 真・女神転生/Persona] SMTIV out! Gaians wanted, see Lucy for details.

• Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    Man, naoto really is the random encounter queen

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Gilder wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    I just want to gush a little more about P4G.

So, the ending (major spoilers):
    During the true end, when you're fighting Izanami-no-Okami (after you "resurrect" due to the Power of Love and Friendship), the whole thing where InO fruitlessly spams her ultimate attack was priceless. Even more priceless was how Yu casually takes off his glasses and throws them aside before royally fucking her with his own ultimate skill, like some kind of Saturday Night Fever disco showdown. I thought that was awesome.

Also, wasn't that kind of a big fuck you to the protagonist from Persona 3? Man, he really got fucked over big time. ATLUS was way nicer to the protagonist this time.
    Well P3's main had a much more serious problem on his hand. P4's was some fog, and eventually it would have happened again if you didn't stop it, but they were in no immediate threat like the fog coming back immediately once he left. It would probably be like 50 years or something. P3 was "The world is going to end in December and you cannot stop it. You're going to have to use some extreme measures to even stand a chance." So his sacrifice was greater because the threat was greater. Also I think a lot of people got upset when the main died, because typically people do when a hero dies, so they changed it for P4. P4 is also much more lighthearted in comparison.

Actually I have a plot issue with P4 that I've been reminded of after playing it again so maybe someone could explain it to me. Why did Adachi send the warning letters? Didn't he specifically say that he was getting enjoyment out of watching everybody think they were doing the right thing and just looping the process over and over? So isn't that inconsistent with the scenes of him in the fog saying things like "Again..." and him sending warning letters? Is it supposed to be some kind of implied "He actually wanted to be caught" thing?

Why he did that?
    Because Adachi is a childish moron, not a mastermind. He is surprisingly primitive. Criminals do things because they think they won't get caught. He was utterly confident he would not get caught and he actively wanted more people to die for entertainment. It wasn't the first time he pressed his luck either (Mitsuo Kubo). All he knows and cares about regarding The Midnight Channel is that mans go in and corpses come out.

Why he is a murderer and rapist wasn't obvious to me until my second play-through. He had a "crush" on Mayumi Amano, a chick he would probably never get to meet in real life, and when he finds out she was sexually active with someone (Namatame,) he is utterly offended and disgusted with her. That's right! She was his waifu.

He displays a similar attitude upon Saki. When Namatame was trying to warn her, Adachi quickly accuses her of fucking him. And then he says it: "High schoolers fooling around? This whole world's gone to shit! When I was a kid I wasn't allowed to do anything but study my ass off and look how I ended up!" There it is. That's a Nice Guy Superiority Complex. He thinks life, society, God, something, anything, owes him personal success and a wife/lover, and because he doesn't have it, it means life is unfair and bitches 'aint shit. It couldn't possibly be that he's a pig! It couldn't possibly be because he's a lazy sack of meat! Contrast this with Yu (well, Game-Yu anyway,) who strives for good grades, spends time with others, reads fictional equivalents to How to Win Friends and Influence People and ends up with a magnificent social circle, and most likely a girlfriend.

By the time the team is face to face with him for his boss fights, he wants to be a Shadow and drag everyone else with him because life, responsibility, eating food and drinking water is just too much unrewarding work for him at this point. I really wished that The Midnight Channel brought Adachi's juvenile attitudes towards success and intimacy to light instead of creating a generic evil dungeon and having him babble "TRUTH IZ BETTER THAN LIEZ LOL." Yu would be like "I've been here for a year and look at all my friends!" And Adachi will be like "I don't want friends, I want money and sex!"

It doesn't surprise me he's happy in prison. He will sit there and eat, drink, stare into space and fap until he dies. He needs to go to an American prison.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

During the true end, when you're fighting Izanami-no-Okami (after you "resurrect" due to the Power of Love and Friendship), the whole thing where InO fruitlessly spams her ultimate attack was priceless. Even more priceless was how Yu casually takes off his glasses and throws them aside before royally fucking her with his own ultimate skill, like some kind of Saturday Night Fever disco showdown. I thought that was awesome.

Also, wasn't that kind of a big fuck you to the protagonist from Persona 3? Man, he really got fucked over big time. ATLUS was way nicer to the protagonist this time.
    Well P3's main had a much more serious problem on his hand. P4's was some fog, and eventually it would have happened again if you didn't stop it, but they were in no immediate threat like the fog coming back immediately once he left. It would probably be like 50 years or something. P3 was "The world is going to end in December and you cannot stop it. You're going to have to use some extreme measures to even stand a chance." So his sacrifice was greater because the threat was greater. Also I think a lot of people got upset when the main died, because typically people do when a hero dies, so they changed it for P4. P4 is also much more lighthearted in comparison.

Actually I have a plot issue with P4 that I've been reminded of after playing it again so maybe someone could explain it to me. Why did Adachi send the warning letters? Didn't he specifically say that he was getting enjoyment out of watching everybody think they were doing the right thing and just looping the process over and over? So isn't that inconsistent with the scenes of him in the fog saying things like "Again..." and him sending warning letters? Is it supposed to be some kind of implied "He actually wanted to be caught" thing?

Why he did that?
    Because Adachi is a childish moron, not a mastermind. He is surprisingly primitive. Criminals do things because they think they won't get caught. He was utterly confident he would not get caught and he actively wanted more people to die for entertainment. It wasn't the first time he pressed his luck either (Mitsuo Kubo). All he knows and cares about regarding The Midnight Channel is that mans go in and corpses come out.

Why he is a murderer and rapist wasn't obvious to me until my second play-through. He had a "crush" on Mayumi Amano, a chick he would probably never get to meet in real life, and when he finds out she was sexually active with someone (Namatame,) he is utterly offended and disgusted with her. That's right! She was his waifu.

He displays a similar attitude upon Saki. When Namatame was trying to warn her, Adachi quickly accuses her of fucking him. And then he says it: "High schoolers fooling around? This whole world's gone to shit! When I was a kid I wasn't allowed to do anything but study my ass off and look how I ended up!" There it is. That's a Nice Guy Superiority Complex. He thinks life, society, God, something, anything, owes him personal success and a wife/lover, and because he doesn't have it, it means life is unfair and bitches 'aint shit. It couldn't possibly be that he's a pig! It couldn't possibly be because he's a lazy sack of meat! Contrast this with Yu (well, Game-Yu anyway,) who strives for good grades, spends time with others, reads fictional equivalents to How to Win Friends and Influence People and ends up with a magnificent social circle, and most likely a girlfriend.

By the time the team is face to face with him for his boss fights, he wants to be a Shadow and drag everyone else with him because life, responsibility, eating food and drinking water is just too much unrewarding work for him at this point. I really wished that The Midnight Channel brought Adachi's juvenile attitudes towards success and intimacy to light instead of creating a generic evil dungeon and having him babble "TRUTH IZ BETTER THAN LIEZ LOL." Yu would be like "I've been here for a year and look at all my friends!" And Adachi will be like "I don't want friends, I want money and sex!"

It doesn't surprise me he's happy in prison. He will sit there and eat, drink, stare into space and fap until he dies. He needs to go to an American prison.
    I actually wasn't so clear on whether or not Adachi had an actual relationship with Mayumi or not. I lean toward your interpretation, considering her reaction to him in that scene, but it's not explicitly stated whether they were actually involved or not, right?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

Why he did that?

I actually wasn't so clear on whether or not Adachi had an actual relationship with Mayumi or not. I lean toward your interpretation, considering her reaction to him in that scene, but it's not explicitly stated whether they were actually involved or not, right?
    There is nothing to suggest that they had any kind of relationship ever or that they had even met before the night of the murder.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    The downside of finishing P4G is that I need to pick a new handheld game to play.

I choose...Etrian Odyssey III.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    The downside of finishing P4G is that I need to pick a new handheld game to play.

I choose...Etrian Odyssey III.

Off topic, but good choice. Working on Persona 2 myself (with a lot of Gravity Rush on the side).

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    So after beating Golden I'm considering trying Persona 1 on PSP again before I do the Margaret/Remaining Trophies run of 4. Can anyone remind me of the usual tips for Persona? Like there's either a stat that's more useful than any other or one that's completely useless, and you have to take specific steps to do the Snow Queen quest right? Isn't there a weapon type that's useless as well or something?
    Jintor wrote: »

I'm just going to quote this for anyone playing Golden right now, do the bike rides with Naoto. You might not be doing them because you don't know what they're actually for, you're working on social links every day, and maybe you just haven't taken the time to experiment because you did it with Kanji or something and you saw you get shit moves like Media. If you don't do the bike rides Naoto is stuck in the realm of the average, but once you do them she enters into the god tier. Once you get a chakra ring you've won every random encounter. All you need to be in control of is using Hama/Mudo.

Gilder on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    In P1, one stat is broken as heck, I think it's VIT, it boosts mostly everything.

For SQQ, I recall you'll want to farm spell cards and such before you go into the school again which sets it into motion. Beat the SEBEC quest first if you haven't, though.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I haven't even started yet, I was just going to start over from the beginning since I only played like an hour when it came out. I just wanted to know in advance what things to look out for, like any quests or flags or choices.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I wish they were making an anime about DS1. I really wasn't a fan of DS2.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    So after beating Golden I'm considering trying Persona 1 on PSP again before I do the Margaret/Remaining Trophies run of 4. Can anyone remind me of the usual tips for Persona? Like there's either a stat that's more useful than any other or one that's completely useless, and you have to take specific steps to do the Snow Queen quest right? Isn't there a weapon type that's useless as well or something?

Agility, Dexterity, and Luck are the most useful stats in Persona 1. And you should boost them in that order (or, better, focus on Agility and Dex until they're maxed, then go to Luck). Strength and Vitality can be ignored completely.

All weapons are dumb and bad in Persona 1. At least, the Weapons you use when you use "Attack." Guns are great and will destroy bosses super fast. Personas should be used for the normal fights.

You only get five characters, and in the main plotline, four of them are chosen for you. So, you can only pick one out of four possible fifth members. One of those fifth members is a secret character with a bunch of hoops to jump through. IMO, the best fifth member is either Ayase or Eriko so you can ignore the secret one.

SQQ requires you to avoid advancing the plot when you return to the school at the start and instead go around and talk to various people about the "cursed mask" -- it's actually pretty easy to find yourself while still difficult to do accidentally.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Thanks, that will be useful. I remember hearing all this before when the game first come out, but that was a while ago now.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Well, certain weapons saved my life during the SQQ final battle, so YMMV. I never neglect weapons in P1 or P2, you just never know.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Well, certain weapons saved my life during the SQQ final battle, so YMMV. I never neglect weapons in P1 or P2, you just never know.

Yeah, but you also went through Persona 2 with just Media, so let's just say you're not the best at optimizing. :P

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I wish they were making an anime about DS1. I really wasn't a fan of DS2.

Do you really want to deal with Yuzu having more lines and a voice?

• Options
    Blackjack wrote: »

Yeah, but you also went through Persona 2 with just Media, so let's just say you're not the best at optimizing. :P

The first time! Well, I might wind up doing that in EP PSP right now, because I'm kind of lost in regards to fusion and spell cards, my Japanese isn't that good.

I'm as far as Gold's, so I can't be doing too bad.
    Also:

daSU1.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    8,363 so far.

Pray.

9.892. YOU BETTER COUNTER ON THE SECOND TURN!

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    YES!!

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DTE001.jpg
    DTE002.jpg
    DTE003.jpg
    DTE004.jpg

It was all worth it.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Naoto might be my favorite character in the entire series.

With Nanjo a close second probably. All hail the introverted nerd master race!

I would love to see her return in a future game. Seems like her occupation would make her gravitate towards this kind of crazy shit the next time it happens.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    So with THAT nonsense out of the way, the next thing I have in store:

*Absolutely steamrolling Nyx.
    *Replaying The Answer.
    *Going after Lucifer in Raidou 2.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Absolutely steamrolling Nyx is one of my favorite parts of P3. It's so ridiculously easy to do.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »

I really like the music in that Soul Hackers trailer. Anyone happen to know if it's part of a longer song or sung by a particular band or something?

• Options
    edited January 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EGqO7W8G3c

It was composed by the guy who's doing SMT IV's OST, vocals by 'wink wink'. Wouldn't be surprised if it's some Atlus sound team pseudonym.

I like that it has the motif of the original OP, unlike Innocent Sin PSP's OP.

And the original's in the 3DS version too, thankfully.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    It was composed by the guy who's doing SMT IV's OST, vocals by 'wink wink'. Wouldn't be surprised if it's some Atlus sound team pseudonym.

I figured it'd be something like that. Still, it gives me something to search for. Thanks.

• Options
    At least I got past The Answer's prologue this time. Yeesh, that's more tense than Pretas in Nocturne.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I really should finish P3 some time so I can see how bad The Answer is.

I started DS:O on Easy. Wendigo is too much for me.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    I love The Answer(and I remember why right from the start), but much like enjoying FFXIII, I'm in a very small minority. It has great music, is tough as heck, eliminates the SLink/school slowdown, and most of the VA, namely Fuuka's, is vastly improved.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

I would love to see her return in a future game. Seems like her occupation would make her gravitate towards this kind of crazy shit the next time it happens.

Someone clearly agrees with you, since they did a spin off novel focused on Naoto. And then hired a generic cheesecake artist who just drew some big-breasted chick with long hair that could never be identified as Naoto. The writing is pretty iffy; the actual story is solid enough, with a fun partner for her, but the writer seemed heavily focused on teaching her to embrace her feminine side. He did a good job of constructing situations where she would need to identify as female to do her job, but I think the approach was fundamentally wrong headed. Particularly the bit where Rise forces Naoto to model a bikini.

• Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Someone clearly agrees with you, since they did a spin off novel focused on Naoto. And then hired a generic cheesecake artist who just drew some big-breasted chick with long hair that could never be identified as Naoto. The writing is pretty iffy; the actual story is solid enough, with a fun partner for her, but the writer seemed heavily focused on teaching her to embrace her feminine side. He did a good job of constructing situations where she would need to identify as female to do her job, but I think the approach was fundamentally wrong headed. Particularly the bit where Rise forces Naoto to model a bikini.
    I think I remember seeing some promotional art for that awhile back, she had long hair and was on a motorcycle, it looked very WTFy and was missing that badass Raidou style look. Sounds like a nightmare.

I thought the bits in the game where she started to get closer to Yu and fall in love with him was enough as far as starting to appreciate her gender a lil more. Also, whenever she's stuck with the other girls and completely uncomfortable like a fish out of water was always pretty funny.

• Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    I'm about to restart Persona 2 Innocent Sin (I had only played a little of it and have no idea what I'm to do). What stat(s) should I focus on?

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    I'm doing 4/2/1 MAG/VIT/AGI right now in EP, so I'd say that. STR isn't bad for Tatsuya either(never mind what Blackjack says).

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I love The Answer(and I remember why right from the start), but much like enjoying FFXIII, I'm in a very small minority. It has great music, is tough as heck, eliminates the SLink/school slowdown, and most of the VA, namely Fuuka's, is vastly improved.
    And I am also part of that minority.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    heenato wrote: »

As am I.

The boss battles in The Answer are fantastic. And the character tension is damn good.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    heenato wrote: »
    Add me in aswell!

I thought it was a beautiful lil epilogue.

That song that plays in battle when the party members are deciding what to do near the end as they battle each other was equal parts badass, epic and sad.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    The Answer fails for me by not having social links and the rest of the non-dungeon time management stuff.

Also no compendium sucks balls.

And 3 was hard enough for me. I don't need the game trying to bust my balls.

• Options
    Man I am really not feeling the new dungeon in Golden.

• Options
    I can't help but think there's a story reason you can't use the compendium.

Elizabeth maintains it. And she wants nothing to do with Aigis.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    The Answer fails for me by not having social links and the rest of the non-dungeon time management stuff.
    Different strokes, because that's what MAKES THE ANSWER FOR ME. I play a shin megami tensei game to murder all things, and explore dungeons. I don't want to play for a half hour, get my character SICK (Because that's the stupidest fucking mechanic) And then not be able to go into the dungeon again for like 2 more hours.

The answer fixed that problem for me.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Also no compendium sucks balls.

And 3 was hard enough for me. I don't need the game trying to bust my balls.
    It didn't really need any of that though, it was never advertised as a whole new game, it's just an extra lil story to go along with the remixed version of the game. I thought it was a nice final bookend on the themes of Persona 3 and coming to terms with death as a part of life and moving on.
    Them learning to do that through the loss of the protagonist in particular.

Dr. Chaos on