Options

Finally a new [Android] Thread

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    chasm wrote: »
    You won't be disappointed. I have the Tegra Note and it's a pretty fantastic device. And it's fairly close to stock Android.

My fiancee has the Tegra Note and it is a nice little tablet, basically a 2012 Nexus 7 with better speakers and stylus support. And really the only decent option on the market for a small tablet with a stylus since the Galaxy Note 8 mediocre and still insanely overpriced.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I uh also grabbed a Note 4. Shit is great!

EDIT: I'm gunna go a little more in depth here:

Note 4 Initial Reactions:
    Things I like:
    Screen - seriously, its amazing
    Size - big enough for me to actually feel like I can do what I want on it while still being small enough for me to use one handed (I'm 6'4 so I'm not exactly small)
    Speed - this thing is fast; I've yet to do anything to really slow it down and I've had it doing a lot of multitasking
    Download Booster - I have unlimited data so I basically don't use wifi, but Download Booster gets me to at least connect to my home network. Apparently it only kicks in on files greater than 30MBs, but when it does it works. Really liking it.
    The power button lets me turn off the screen (and it stays off!) - I'm coming from a S3 with a damaged power switch
    GPS seems to work much better than my S3s, but I wont really know how that all plays out until Monday morning

Things I don't:
    4.4 is a little weird when it comes to SD cards, apparently I can only let 3rd party programs (namely SMS Backup and Restore) backup my text messages to an app specific folder which will be deleted should the application be uninstalled or the phone data be wiped. Thats pretty lame.
    I'm not super stoked about the new calendar widget, I can see a weeks worth of upcoming events on my S3, but on the Note 4 its either the entire month or just that day.
    New folder icons are ugly - on my S3 folders are nice looking platforms but on the Note 4 they're these folders which don't scale the icons inside them so a folder with 2 apps in it looks dumb.

I'm sure I'll find more as I havent really been able to see how this thing will hold up in daily use, but so far its looking very promising.

All that aside, does anyone have a recommendation for a good case? I paid full price for the phone so I'd really rather not break it.

emp123 on
  • Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    Gents, I am thinking about getting a dedicated SMS app, as I don't like how Hangouts is working. What would you all recommend?

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    I like Textra.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I've been using Handcent for a while now and like it.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    ASy3B67l.jpg

yessssssssssss

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I've used both and prefer Textra over Handcent. Many also prefer WhatsApp, especially due to its recent security upgrade

Mugsley on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Does handcent let you respond from the lock screen?

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Does handcent let you respond from the lock screen?

Basically, yeah. I'm pretty sure the full text window pops up and you can type right there. If not, you just touch the notification and it'll open. I don't remember exactly because I never think about it. Though it's probably an option if you want to disable it. I think it's free if you want to try it out.

• Options
    HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    HexDex wrote: »
    Gents, I am thinking about getting a dedicated SMS app, as I don't like how Hangouts is working. What would you all recommend?

Messenger is the new default SMS app with lollipop... available for download in play store now

BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    cross posting this from SE
    Naphtali wrote: »
    so my m8 is starting to chug battery lately, gsam battery monitor saying that 90% of the charge is getting eaten by Apps, specifically Kernel/OS but its not wakelocks/mediaserver as far as I can tell. I've already reset the global cache once but that didn't seem to fix it for very long

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Is this since getting Lollipop? Have you tried a factory reset and downloading your apps again? Reset cured a lot of minor bugs on my N5.

• Options
    HooverFan wrote: »

Messenger is the new default SMS app with lollipop... available for download in play store now

I don't like messenger either. It looks into my google account, and handles google talk messages, and shows me online as google.

I want an SMS app that only interfaces with my carrier SMS and nothing else.

Giving Textra a shot.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

I don't like messenger either. It looks into my google account, and handles google talk messages, and shows me online as google.

Giving Textra a shot.

?

OK this is now getting confusing.

First of all the built-in Lollipop SMS app is not called Messenger, it's called Messages. Search Messenger on the Play Store and you'll get the Facebook messages app.

Second, Google Talk officially no longer exists, it got replaced by Hangouts.

The Hangouts app can also handle SMS and that's been the case for a year or so.

Now you're saying the Messages app can also handle Google Talk messages, by which I have to assume you mean Hangouts?

If that is true there is functionally no difference between the Hangouts and Messages apps.

Edit: I just looked at the Messages app on my Lollipop 2014 Moto X, I see no functionality to get Hangouts messages through it.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Who's your carrier? Verizon has a messaging app, but I'm using the default Samsung Messages app. I've tried GoSMS and I didn't hate it, but I stopped because it was a little slow (this was a year or so ago) and I think had difficulty with group texts.

• Options
    Oh, I also got my Shield Tablet yesterday and its pretty nice. I got home around 7 and immediately started playing with it and despite downloading things for like 3 hours and constantly playing games the device was still at just under 20% at 1230.

My only complaint thus far is that it looks like Lollipop is delayed for those who haven't grabbed it until Nvidia resolves some issues people have been experiencing (battery life and sluggishness I think). I was able to grab a couple of updates from Nvidia so I doubt their servers are down...

The stylus doesn't seem all that necessary, but its hard to complain about it (the more functional one on my note probably won't see much use either).

Shortly before receiving the tablet I realized I'm probably going to use its Game Stream feature, there are a number of games I'd like to play but would prefer to either play with others or just want to play on a big tv (namely Lego games and a couple of console ports) so thats nice. Saves me from building a HTPC anyway.

• Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    If you've got a Verizon Note 4, avoid Spigen cases. They didn't compensate for the different mic placement. Tech21 cases are pretty awesome.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Is this since getting Lollipop? Have you tried a factory reset and downloading your apps again? Reset cured a lot of minor bugs on my N5.

No, still on 4.4.4. T-Mobile edition.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Gaslight wrote: »

Giving Textra a shot.

?

First of all the built-in Lollipop SMS app is not called Messenger, it's called Messages. Search Messenger on the Play Store and you'll get the Facebook messages app.

Now you're saying the Messages app can also handle Google Talk messages, by which I have to assume you mean Hangouts?

If that is true there is functionally no difference between the Hangouts and Messages apps.

Edit: I just looked at the Messages app on my Lollipop 2014 Moto X, I see no functionality to get Hangouts messages through it.

I'm looking at my Nexus 6 with bare-bones stock Lollipop... it's Messenger which is the default SMS app which has NO INTERACTION with Hangouts or Talk or anything, it is strictly SMS and MMS since people wanted a bareboned alternative to Hangouts.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging

HooverFan on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I have a stock N5 (Sprint) with Lolipop, and all I have is Hangouts which handles my SMS/MMS and hangout messages of course.

• Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I have a stock N5 (Sprint) with Lolipop, and all I have is Hangouts which handles my SMS/MMS and hangout messages of course.

only new devices that come with lollipop, not upgraded ones, will have messenger by default

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Is there a site that shows what's free on the play store? Also when is the music generally refreshed in what's free? I picked up imagine dragons and Lincoln Park, free is free even if I'll probably never listen to it.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Seems to be werkly or sooner, not sure the day. Movies are occasionally, though it seems to to have picked up.

Lord of the Rings 1 is free in Movies, and related Tolkien media is in sale right now. Thinking about buying the books.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Guys, anythoughts on the Asus transformer? specifically the TF103C.

Wife got it for me as a present, but unsure if I want to get a different one. Would be replacing a gen1 N7. on the one hand it seems pretty cool, but the specs aren't exactly mindblowing

camo_sig.png
  • Options

Giving Textra a shot.

?

Yes, I double checked, and it's still hangouts on my N5. I thought the app itself changed totally when it went material design after the lollipop upgrade, so I just assumed that is what Hoover was talking about and agreed with him. Shame on me.

Yes, hangouts is also SMS, and it is also Gtalk. I didn't like the integration when it went live in 4.3? 4.4? And I still don't.

Giving Textra a shot.

?

I'm looking at my Nexus 6 with bare-bones stock Lollipop... it's Messenger which is the default SMS app which has NO INTERACTION with Hangouts or Talk or anything, it is strictly SMS and MMS since people wanted a bareboned alternative to Hangouts.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging

That is exactly what I want, thank you.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    5.01 dropped last night UK, N5.

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Google is a bunch of damn liars.

They told me that my Nexus 6 would leave the warehouse on 1/5/2015.

But I just got an email telling me it'll be here tomorrow.

HOW DARE THEY?!?!???

<3<3<3

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    It's awesome!

I won't be able to use it on anything but wifi till next week, but whatever.

I don't know what to do with all of this screenspace. Its built in widgets are super sparse; and with the 5 icon width most widgets I know of don't work quite right.

Any suggestions?

Also apparently FFVI isn't updated to work with lollipop :(

But FFIII works with this phone (it didn't on my old phone), but I'm not sure if that's worth the tradeoff. :P

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Nexus 6 get.

Dis phone is biiiiiiiig

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Whats are you guys going with for N6 cases? I went with the two piece otterbox case for my S3, and after a while the buttons got less responsive.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    I haven't used a phone case in a while. I don't think I could handle a case on the N6, it'd make it even bigger.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    It kills me that bumper cases are the popular phone case.

Slip cases are the light and the way. Same (or better, since the screen protection is 100% and doesn't interfere with touch sensitivity) protection, way less ugly, less in your way, never falls off in your pocket.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    what is considered a "slip case" ? can you provide an example? It's just a term I haven't seen specifically before.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    This is the most basic example.

I prefer one with a small pocket on the front, specifically business card sized so I can easily take those and not lose them.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    This is the most basic example.

I prefer one with a small pocket on the front, specifically business card sized so I can easily take those and not lose them.
    Ah, I see what you mean. Well I would say that the reason these are not as popular as bumper cases is that they do not protect the phone from fall damage while you are using the phone. The point of bumper cases is so that if the phone is heading towards the ground it is less likely to impact in such a way that will break it. The slip case only protects the phone when you aren't using it, which is probably a very small percentage of the time drops/breakages occur. That said, I used to use a slip case for my blackberry a few years back and loved it ;)

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Yep, pulling something in and out of a case all the time is also just another opportunity to fumble it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I have an otter box for my s4 that has definitely saved it multiple times. A $600 piece of electronic equipment I carry with me all the time is going to be protected the best I can reasonably do so. Plus I have never seen a phone good looking enough for me to care rather or not I could see the outside.

I spent an hour and a half yesterday trying to figure out why my phone would not play my music. It turns out having a folder named Music on the internal and external memory breaks both Google Play Music and the Samsung Music app. At one point they both claimed I had 3 different copies of some of my songs. And of course neither of them have an option to just rescan your library. There are some baffling design decisions in play here.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I dont care for the Samsung music app.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Hey guys, I've been cleaning my house and listening to music in preparation for a party tonight. At some point, I figured there's probably a way with my phone, laptop, and wifi to stream my music collection and stuff. Hell, maybe it's already built into google. Am I right that there are some free/easy ways to do this?

This discussion has been closed.