Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Favorite TV series?

124678

Posts

  • SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Registered User regular
    For all-time TV comedy, I think the Simpsons seasons 2 - 8 (9 maybe?) is like the best TV comedy ever written. They hold up better than they have any right to given how old they are. And not in a nostalgic "This was funny when I was a kid, therefore it is still funny to me today" way. Troy McClure is still funny. "Me fail english; that's unpossible" is still funny. The jokes still legitimately work.

    Atomika
  • AtomikaAtomika not a robot. does not eat bugs!Registered User regular
    Best Simpsons episode is still "Lisa's Substitute" from the 2nd Season.

  • JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    Does FLCL count? It's only six episodes, but it's my favorite show for miles and miles. If another show ever hits me like FLCL did, I'll be surprised.

    What about Gurren Lagann, by the same company? It's a full anime season + 1 (27 episodes, I think.) It's an awesome love letter to the human race. Almost every episode raises the stakes in an amazing way, and the conclusion is the most epic thing I have ever seen. And I HATE the word epic. This show earns it though.

    Adventure Time is my favorite show on TV right now, sandwiched between the previous two for "of all time". They show is just pure joy, and hits the sweet spot between juvenile and sophomoric that is an incredible, effortless cool.

    I'm watching Doctor Who right now, and it's fantastic. Very creative stuff. Makes me think a lot about my own creations.

    Other greats: Home Movies, Arrested Development, Early 30 Rock, Breaking Bad.

    I don't watch a lot of TV though. But this thread makes me want to check out The Wire.

    sig.gif
  • SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    It's really a shame Home Movies didn't catch on more. It was such a funny show. McGuirk is still the best H. Jon Benjamin character.

    SarcasmoBlaster on
    Dark Raven X
  • DeadfallDeadfall Registered User regular
    Best Simpsons episode is still "Lisa's Substitute" from the 2nd Season.


    Sorry, but You Only Move Twice disagrees.

    BFzWh4r.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    www.hoptonogood.com - Beer/Adventure/Life
    shrykeInfamyDeferred
  • AtomikaAtomika not a robot. does not eat bugs!Registered User regular
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Best Simpsons episode is still "Lisa's Substitute" from the 2nd Season.


    Sorry, but You Only Move Twice disagrees.

    "You Only Move Twice" is a great episode. Easily top five. I give "Lisa's Substitute" more points for being more poignant and heartfelt.

  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Eupfhoria wrote: »
    oh yeah, lack of resolution was Deadwood's biggest problem for sure.

    Some pacing issues in both seasons 2 and 3 maybe, but when you consider that the creators probably thought they were going to have at least one or two more seasons to tell the story they wanted to, those things are pretty forgivable (watching the DVD extras where they talk about how the series ended was a little depressing...)

    I am definitely going to have to check out Six Feet Under someday too. I've heard good things
    Oh, I totally forgive Deadwood, but it does mean the series as a whole suffers somewhat. It's still one of the best series I've ever watched, mind you.

    Six Feet Under is the sort of series that, depending on your preferences, is either one of the best dramas out there or a melodramatic soap. I'm firmly in the former camp. There are some low points, but on the whole I don't think there are many (or indeed any) series that have done the dysfunctional family theme as intelligently or as compassionately, without it becoming sappy for a second.

    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    see317 wrote: »
    Anyone remember Brimstone? Was an entertaining show, but got shut down something like halfway through the first season.
    John Glover as the Devil made that show.

    Man I sure could go for a Reggie Bar.
    Brimstone.jpg

    Stargate SG-1 mentioned? I really loved that show. Yes, even seasons 9 & 10.

    jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Eupfhoria wrote: »
    oh yeah, lack of resolution was Deadwood's biggest problem for sure.

    Some pacing issues in both seasons 2 and 3 maybe, but when you consider that the creators probably thought they were going to have at least one or two more seasons to tell the story they wanted to, those things are pretty forgivable (watching the DVD extras where they talk about how the series ended was a little depressing...)

    I am definitely going to have to check out Six Feet Under someday too. I've heard good things
    Oh, I totally forgive Deadwood, but it does mean the series as a whole suffers somewhat. It's still one of the best series I've ever watched, mind you.

    Six Feet Under is the sort of series that, depending on your preferences, is either one of the best dramas out there or a melodramatic soap. I'm firmly in the former camp. There are some low points, but on the whole I don't think there are many (or indeed any) series that have done the dysfunctional family theme as intelligently or as compassionately, without it becoming sappy for a second.

    Six Feet Under also has a similar issue that a lot of long-running series have, in that the tone and the focus of the show shifts rather notably between the first season and the later seasons. Just as Oz went from being something akin to a semi-realistic take on life in prison to being a melodramatic Greek tragedy, Six Feet Under started as being more focused on the funeral home setting, the mechanics of the funeral business, and a less than affectionate look at the characters, but as the series progresses the first two are shoved into the background and eventually abandoned while the characters take center stage and become more multidimensional.

    For all it's flaws (NARM!), Six Feet Under also has one of, if not the best, series finale episodes ever.

  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    The best Simpson's episode is Lisa On Ice, hands down.

  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    American:

    -Forever Knight.
    -Friday the 13th: The Series.
    -Millennium.
    -Brimstone.
    -Mortal Kombat: Konquest.

    Korean:

    -Iris
    -Athena: Goddess of War


    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    [
    Jurg wrote: »
    Does FLCL count? It's only six episodes, but it's my favorite show for miles and miles. If another show ever hits me like FLCL did, I'll be surprised.
    that's about a British season.
    Also check out 'Miami Guns'

  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    To go back to page 3: I watched Party Down because it was from Rob Thomas, who is a saint for creating the wonderful Veronica Mars, along with my friend who is an even bigger Veronica Mars fan than I. We watched the first two episodes and hated it. :| There was maybe one joke that I thought was funny, and none of the characters in general really felt like people I wanted to keep watching.

    Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • BogartBogart Because I hate you Registered User, Moderator mod
    The best TV show is Twin Peaks.

    Mike Danger
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Riget, which is probably called The Kingdom in English.

    Lars von Trier (he of Nazi scandal fame) tells the story of a hospital that is beset by ghosts, daemons and the people who worship them. This one is so dependant on Scandinavian stereotypes it might not work for y'all foreigners.

    Edit: It inspired Garth Marenghi's Darkplace!

    Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Has anyone watched Barquo on Hulu? It's a French crime drama, Wire like, and looks pretty good. I watched the opening scene of the first episode, and it is pretty damn gripping.

  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    [
    Jurg wrote: »
    Does FLCL count? It's only six episodes, but it's my favorite show for miles and miles. If another show ever hits me like FLCL did, I'll be surprised.
    that's about a British season.
    Also check out 'Miami Guns'

    FLCL is crazy good.

    Also, I'm a big fan of Gunbuster 2, for similar reasons of just plain off-the-wall insanity that turns out be deeper than expected. Especially in the later eps when you find out exactly what's happening in the story...

    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
    PSN: ZokuGojira
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I really love the directing of FLCL

    Not because of its craziness, but just the entire art style, and the unique color palette of the show, combined with the almost constant background music and sense of energy. Once or twice an episode the music and energy will stop dead and every time it gives you shivers. And the cinematography is heads and shoulders above most animated shows, with a great sense of light and camera placement. Plus it was the first anime, and one of the first animated shows at all, to be completely animated on computers, ending the era of hand-drawn cels.

    Plus if you manage to make it past the bizarre, drug-addled story there's actually quite a bit of pathos to a lot of the characters, Naota's dad and grandpa are both total sleazeballs and the mom is never mentioned, his big brother's ex-girlfriend seems like she's basically one step up from being homeless and is probably an arsonist, the 6th grade class president hates her dad for cheating on and then divorcing her mom, and the only adult figure in Naota's life that he could trust left for college in America. Behind all the goofy antics on the surface there's actually a pretty well-built human setting.

    Oh, and Episode 3 also has one of my favorite ending lines ever

    Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    Doodmann
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Currently the only things I'm eagerly following are Utopia and Justified.

    But I am anticipating new episodes of Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, and The Good Wife.

    A lot of my past favorites have already been mentioned: Veronica Mars, Terriers, Deadwood, and so on. I don't feel the need to discuss those.

    But I do think you guys should look into Utopia and The Good Wife. The first one just started out so it's lacking in recognition in general, and The Good Wife is the type of show this forum overlooks.

    Hoz on
  • phillerphiller Registered User regular
    Hoz wrote: »

    A lot of my past favorites have already been mentioned: Veronica Mars, Terriers, Deadwood, and so on. I don't feel the need to discuss those.

    But I do think you guys should look into Utopia and The Good Wife. The first one just started out so it's lacking in recognition in general, and The Good Wife is the type of show this forum overlooks.

    Since both Terriers and Veronica Mars were set in California, I always imagined a crossover between Hank & Britt, and Veronica and Keith, solving cases and making quips. One can dream.

    I've heard surprisngly good things about The Good Wife but I can't get over the hurdle of the initial premise being kinda goofy. But its definitely on my shortlist of things to start watching.

    All Kinds of Philler: A pop culture podcast remarkably free of filler!
    Twitter: @phillerworks || @AKOPpodcast || Steam: mr_philler
    PAX East '14 Locations: || Classic Console Freeplay || Tabletop Area || Long Wharf Pre-PAX Game Night (Come say hi or trade buttons!)
  • JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    I really love the directing of FLCL

    Not because of its craziness, but just the entire art style, and the unique color palette of the show, combined with the almost constant background music and sense of energy. Once or twice an episode the music and energy will stop dead and every time it gives you shivers. And the cinematography is heads and shoulders above most animated shows, with a great sense of light and camera placement. Plus it was the first anime, and one of the first animated shows at all, to be completely animated on computers, ending the era of hand-drawn cels.

    Plus if you manage to make it past the bizarre, drug-addled story there's actually quite a bit of pathos to a lot of the characters, Naota's dad and grandpa are both total sleazeballs and the mom is never mentioned, his big brother's ex-girlfriend seems like she's basically one step up from being homeless and is probably an arsonist, the 6th grade class president hates her dad for cheating on and then divorcing her mom, and the only adult figure in Naota's life that he could trust left for college in America. Behind all the goofy antics on the surface there's actually a pretty well-built human setting.

    Oh, and Episode 3 also has one of my favorite ending lines ever

    I like that he can be surrounded by terrible people without the show going, "LOOK AT HOW TERRIBLE THESE PEOPLE ARE, HOW TERRIBLE". I think it's partially because there's no one really GOOD in the show. Amarao is probably the closest, but everything he does is out of bitterness. (Alluded to during the coffee scene.) Plus he's kind of a creep.

    And Naoto reacts like a kid would. Not rising above everyone else with the supreme, uncorrupted morality that only a (fake) child would have, but writing off all adults as stupid and corrupt. But, because he's just a kid, and because he has no good role models, he doesn't really know WHAT is good, and there's this great inner tension between doing the mature thing and excusing himself for being in grade school.

    The music is also fantastic. the pillows are my favorite band, and I probably wouldn't have even listened to any non-videogame, non-anime music if it weren't for this show. If you ever get the chance to see them live, do it: it's the best show I've ever been to.

    The one thing that pisses me off, though, is how a lot of people will call the show "random", in a "omg FLCL is so random" sort of way. I'm willing to forgive the fact that that is not what random means, but even though FLCL feels very chaotic, it is one of the most meticulously planned out shows I have ever seen.

    sig.gif
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Kana wrote: »
    I really love the directing of FLCL

    Not because of its craziness, but just the entire art style, and the unique color palette of the show, combined with the almost constant background music and sense of energy. Once or twice an episode the music and energy will stop dead and every time it gives you shivers. And the cinematography is heads and shoulders above most animated shows, with a great sense of light and camera placement. Plus it was the first anime, and one of the first animated shows at all, to be completely animated on computers, ending the era of hand-drawn cels.

    Plus if you manage to make it past the bizarre, drug-addled story there's actually quite a bit of pathos to a lot of the characters, Naota's dad and grandpa are both total sleazeballs and the mom is never mentioned, his big brother's ex-girlfriend seems like she's basically one step up from being homeless and is probably an arsonist, the 6th grade class president hates her dad for cheating on and then divorcing her mom, and the only adult figure in Naota's life that he could trust left for college in America. Behind all the goofy antics on the surface there's actually a pretty well-built human setting.

    Oh, and Episode 3 also has one of my favorite ending lines ever

    yeah it's got a Catcher in the Rye thing going.

    There's also a ton of Otaku jokes in there that you need to be a real nerd to appreciate. Oh and of course:
    l.jpg

    oh and speaking of parody: Excel Saga

    man I love that show.

    DanHibiki on
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Do TV movie series count? I'm a big fan of the Jesse Stone ones (starring Tom Selleck).

    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    The Twilight Zone

    0WBv0.png
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best On MarsRegistered User regular
    Almost everything I enjoy has been mentioned already but I'm noticing one glaring omission.

    Trailer Park Boys.

    Love that show. I must have watched the whole thing through at least ten times by now and it never gets stale for me.

    steam_sig.png
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Godfather wrote: »
    The Twilight Zone

    Yes, this.

  • RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    I was watching Suburgatory today and I paused a scene in which Alan Tudyk and Chris Parnell were standing side by side and I marveled in the fact that two of my favorite comedic actors are in one of my favorite shows

    btw, people need to watch this show. Not a weak link amongst the cast

    ProhassMalkorDoodmann
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Six Feet Under is the sort of series that, depending on your preferences, is either one of the best dramas out there or a melodramatic soap. I'm firmly in the former camp. There are some low points, but on the whole I don't think there are many (or indeed any) series that have done the dysfunctional family theme as intelligently or as compassionately, without it becoming sappy for a second.

    I watch the ending sequence of Six Feet Under on youtube a couple of years ago. It had me crying for reals. I had never watch a episode and barely knew who the characters where, but I saw the ending a thought about all the loved ones I had lost. It set up the inevitability of death so well. If there is a contest for perfect series ending Six Feet Under is the reigning champ. Breaking Bad and Mad Men might provide future competition, but as of now the crown is Six Feet Under to lose.
    Sopranos deserves nothing. The blackout is pure bullshit. If you are not going to tell us the ending of your story, why the fuck tell it at all? Either potential ending would have worked.

    Communicating from the last of the Babylon Stations.
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    I like a lot of British shows and prefer their shorter series over long, filler-heavy seasons that NA shows get. Especially with comedies. Not every sitcom is Seinfeld, and even that show could have used some trimming. With dramas it's even worse because they have to stretch shit out, and with genre stuff there's often some central premise or mystery that you know can't be resolved because they want a second season. From a (terrible) recommendation I recently watched the awful show Surface, which only got a single season, and didn't deserve a second season, but of course it ends in a giant, dumb, pointless cliffhanger because that's what you do when you want a second season.

    I'd be a lot more interested in serials if they were developed like Japanese anime, which often go to 26 episodes, but are almost always written to be fully contained stories that will end with the season (and they're still full of filler, but that's often due to budgets and such). I'm always wary about getting into a new serial, especially something sci-fi or fantasy, but if I knew for certain that the story would be completely wrapped up at the end of the season then I'd be more willing to take the plunge.

    Also, Alan Partridge is the once and future king, but I have very soft spots in my heart for Father Ted and Blackadder (especially Goes Forth). You can't beat stuff like this.

    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    I watch the ending sequence of Six Feet Under on youtube a couple of years ago. It had me crying for reals. I had never watch a episode and barely knew who the characters where, but I saw the ending a thought about all the loved ones I had lost. It set up the inevitability of death so well. If there is a contest for perfect series ending Six Feet Under is the reigning champ. Breaking Bad and Mad Men might provide future competition, but as of now the crown is Six Feet Under to lose.
    Sopranos deserves nothing. The blackout is pure bullshit. If you are not going to tell us the ending of your story, why the fuck tell it at all? Either potential ending would have worked.
    Re: Six Feet Under: definitely check out the series. The ending resonates so much more once you know the characters. The entire thing, starting from Claire's dream with Nate singing "I Just Want To Celebrate", the bit where she takes a photo while Nate says, "You can't take a picture of this - it's already gone," her driving away with jogging Nate receding in the car mirror, Sia's "Breathe Me"... Such a perfect ending.

    Then again, I also love the Sopranos ending. Still gives me shivers. For me, it was an immensely effective, satisfying ending.

    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    If we're talking great final episodes, I have to mention the final episode of The Shield.

    mcdermottJohnny Chopsocky
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Best last episode? TNG's All Good Things Must Come to an End.
    Amazing send off to the series and came at a time that the show was running out of ideas and did well to honor the series' beginning.

    That or Young One's "Look out! Cliff!".

    DanHibiki on
    ProhassDoodmann
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I was ambivalent about Treme for 4-5 episodes, but we've just watched the penultimate episode of S1 (the infamous "Pelecanos episode") and now the series has me for good. And the music (and the cooking...): divine.

    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote: »
    If we're talking great final episodes, I have to mention the final episode of The Shield.

    Good god yes. I was gonna call this easily the best finale ever, ten somebody has to mention TNGs.

    Still, I think The Shield is pretty much a perfect example of how to end a series.

    Johnny Chopsocky
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    I really love the directing of FLCL

    Not because of its craziness, but just the entire art style, and the unique color palette of the show, combined with the almost constant background music and sense of energy. Once or twice an episode the music and energy will stop dead and every time it gives you shivers. And the cinematography is heads and shoulders above most animated shows, with a great sense of light and camera placement. Plus it was the first anime, and one of the first animated shows at all, to be completely animated on computers, ending the era of hand-drawn cels.

    Plus if you manage to make it past the bizarre, drug-addled story there's actually quite a bit of pathos to a lot of the characters, Naota's dad and grandpa are both total sleazeballs and the mom is never mentioned, his big brother's ex-girlfriend seems like she's basically one step up from being homeless and is probably an arsonist, the 6th grade class president hates her dad for cheating on and then divorcing her mom, and the only adult figure in Naota's life that he could trust left for college in America. Behind all the goofy antics on the surface there's actually a pretty well-built human setting.

    Oh, and Episode 3 also has one of my favorite ending lines ever

    yeah it's got a Catcher in the Rye thing going.

    There's also a ton of Otaku jokes in there that you need to be a real nerd to appreciate. Oh and of course:
    l.jpg

    oh and speaking of parody: Excel Saga

    man I love that show.

    Screw you guys, I go to find the clip from episode 3, watch the whole series instead of FLCL. Man... just the music in that series is insane.

    steam_sig.png
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Is it just me or has the fcc lightened up on swearing considerably this season? Not in a saying things out right kind of way, but having a character swear and bleeping it out with a momentary digital block over their mouth.

    I was watching Happy endings x-mass episode and one of the characters uses what is obviously the F-word. Then I catch a episode of Go On(don't judge me. Mathew Perry is funny) and the something similar happened.

    Is this a trend or something?

    Communicating from the last of the Babylon Stations.
  • KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    If so, it's more the networks' self-policing than the FCC holding back. The FCC's power to punish networks for swear words etc. is sort of up in the air at this point.

  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    I've seen most of my favorite TV series mentioned by someone here (e.g. The Shield, Twilight Zone), but there's one I haven't seen anyone mention.

    I absolutely love Psych. The first few seasons are some of the funniest television I've ever watched. It's not quite as good as it used to be, but the antics of Shawn and Gus Ovaltine Jenkins are still great.

  • MitsuoMitsuo 강한 남자니다. MercuryRegistered User regular
    I'm currently enjoying Grimm a lot.

    鬱、美、心、血、手、生、死、愛、間、日、月、風、嫌。
    Johnny Chopsocky
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Is it just me or has the fcc lightened up on swearing considerably this season? Not in a saying things out right kind of way, but having a character swear and bleeping it out with a momentary digital block over their mouth.

    I was watching Happy endings x-mass episode and one of the characters uses what is obviously the F-word. Then I catch a episode of Go On(don't judge me. Mathew Perry is funny) and the something similar happened.

    Is this a trend or something?

    Quite a few series coming out soon that have Fuck in the title and everything, according the AV club.
    Going to throw in a vote for Spaced and Green Wing whilst I'm here too. BBC comedies make it around the world fairly well (often because they're getting on to over 40 years old now), but a lot of channel 4's offerings are just as good but less widely spread.

    Tastyfish on
Sign In or Register to comment.