Options

[Marvel Heroic Roleplaying] Breakout!

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Wolverine
    He's already emotionally stressed and traumatized and that was a great post. I'm not even gonna worry about it.

Logan's words, to the shock of everyone who has ever known him, are actually comforting. And they seem to actually calm Morrie down a bit. He takes a deep breath, and nods.

"Okay. Okay, man. I'll do it. Besides, he's an old buddy, he wouldn't lay a finger on me. We're partners!"

He takes steps towards the door, grabbing the handle and making his way in.

"Okay...okay..."

Logan, hidden in the darkness, keeps an eye on him as he goes in the power plant. He sees it. The main generator. It sparks and crackles, periodically lighting up the room. He can see a massive hole blown in the roof on the opposite side of the room, presumably heading back up through the complex. But there's something he doesnt see: Max Dillon. Electro. And he can't smell him, either.

Hydro-Man wanders into the middle of the room, looking around for his friend. He calls out to him, his voice echoing off the walls.

"...Max? Hey man, I'm a little late and all, but I'm here dude! You said we were breakin' somebody out, right? Come on, let's go get our payday! Max?"

A few drops of water fall from the ceiling onto his forehead.

"Dude! Come on! We gotta hurry before SHIELD or some capes get in our way!"

Drip. A few more droplets fall on him. For some reason, he doesnt just absorb it into himself.

The generator flickers again, and Wolverine sees something odd in the corner in the room. Some sort of cooler. The door hangs open, whatever contents it contained gone. Just then, Hydro-Man starts to scream. Logan sees him clutching at his face. Is he...bleeding?

"We found ourself. We are complete again."

A scratchy, distorted voice whispers at Logan...from behind him! Logan didn't smell anyone else down here! He snaps around and stares into the darkness.

"And now that we have feasted, we are thirsty."

Morris lets out a blood-curdling scream, Wolverine looks over his shoulder to see him being smothered by some sort of liquid. It's consuming him whole.

"We know you. If we cut you into pieces..."

The generator sparks again, and in the quick burst of light, Logan sees him. Stuck to the ceiling not unlike Peter Parker. Tendrils whipping around him like they have a mind of their own. His body like a lava lamp, globs of red and black. Sinister, huge, blank white eyes. And massive teeth in a massive, evil grin.

"...Will you grow back so we can cut you again?"

Wolverine comes face to face with Cletus Kasady, the monster known as Carnage.

The merger of serial killer and alien symbiote, Carnage laughs maniacally, ready to strike. And behind Logan, the Hydro-Man has become something more. The water that makes up his body now joins a mass of red and black goop. What was once Hydro-Man opens it's tooth-filled jaws and screeches like a rabid animal.
    This should be interesting.

Normally making a spawn for Carnage costs a d10, but since he took over a supervillain I'm going to say it'll cost me a d12. So that'll be a new xp for you. And since Carnage was nice enough to not sneak attack and play with his food a little, we'll have Logan go first.

Have fun!

Doom Pool: 1d6, 2d8
    Scene Distinctions: Power Generator, Big Hole
    Wolverine: 2xp, 2pp
    Carnage: N/A
    Hydro-Carnage: N/A

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    SakutianSakutian Registered User regular
    I would like to thank you for actually making Carnage scary. That was a great introduction for the character man.

My Games

Dresden Files RPG- Dumb Luck

Playing Phillip Hess in Motor City Blues

GM of M&M "And Justice For All."
    GM of Dresden Files Low Life
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Into the Unknown
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Lost Hope- Concluded
    GM of Star Wars Sagas the Dark Times- Concluded.
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Jabba's Palace- Concluded due to injury.
    Bart Allen/ The Flash in M&M Metropolis- Concluded.
    Koyi Disturbances in the Force- Concluded.
    Jessup Owlbeard Forge of the Dawn Titan- Withdrawn due to injury.
    Sal Mander In the Shadow of Zeus- Concluded.
    Zevoto in Out in the Black- Withdrawn due to injury.
    GM of Wyvern Watch
    Berru Secune in Rise of the Jedi
  • Options
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Wolverine

I grin savagely -- but tightly. This ain't gonna be easy.

"Boy, you just made a huge mistake. See, most'a the heroes I know? They hold back all the time, make sure they don't do any real damage, and this'd be no exception. I ain't a big fan of separatin' a mook from his limbs either, but if you think fer a second I'm gonna refrain from rippin' you ta shreds, heh, 'allow me to disabuse you of this notion', as my ol' pal Beast would say."

Time to unleash the rage, and let the animal come out to play. I launch myself at Carnage Prime; bettin' he's the most dangerous, and hell, maybe if I take him down Bench'll go back ta normal. As good a reason as any ta pick, at least. My claws are out an' ready; bring on the pain. And it'll come; Carnage ain't known fer bein' delicate or indirect, but I can take anythin' he dishes out.
    Godlike Stamina, Solo, Adamantium Claws, Combat Master, Best There Is, Frenzy (d6 from the doom pool, which goes back as a d8): 1d12+3d10+1d8+1d6=7, 8, 10, 7, 8, 2. 18 total with d12 effect to Carnage.

Let me make sure I have this straight: I can use either Scene Distinction as a free d8 if I'm taking advantage, or a d4 and a plot point if it's a hindrance, in each reaction and attack roll?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    Spider-Man

The Living Laser is moving fast! Probably has something to do with being made of sentient light.
    I'll hand you a pp and step up the d6 in the pool.

Solo d4, Godlike Flight d12, Science Master 2d8

Reaction: [1d4=3] [2d8=7, 4] [1d12=1]

Opportunity available.

11 total with a d4 means success for Spidey. Totally forgot to use that asset. Oh well, I'll find a way to spin it into his next action this round.

I think you and/or Howard maybe gets xp for taking down Nefaria? We'll get that settled at the end of the fight.

Spidey picks who goes next, Laser or Howard?

Doom Pool: 3d8

Scene Distinctions: Open To The Elements, Big Hole
    Howard: 1xp, 1pp
    Spider-Man: 1xp, 1pp, d10 physical stress, Covering Fire d8 asset
    Count Nefaria: KO
    Living Laser: d10 physical stress, d6 emotional stress, d12 He's Getting Away! asset, d10 Webbing Tether complication

Spidey's webbing wraps around his ankles, and he jerks to a stop in midair as the wall-crawler gives it a good yank.

• Options
    @Captain Carrot you can take any distinction between your personal ones or a scene one as a d8 or d4+pp, yes. For every roll where you can justify it. You can also spend a plot point to take a second distinction. And yes that technically means you can take a d8 and a d4, gaining and then losing a pp at the same time, as well.

• Options
    Since Howard is unavaialable for a bit lets see what Living Laser can do with a turn.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Okay so Wolverine's SFX is already stepping up that d6 doom die, so instead of doing that on Spidey's opportunity I'll just add a new d6.

So doom pool is 1d6 and 3d8 after I resolve Logan's turn.

• Options
    Hmm I'm not sure I buy Stamina as part of that attack. Think I might have to ask you to roll something more appropriate in place of that d12. Unless you can make a convincing argument for using it.

• Options
    Wolverine's getting up close and personal with Carnage. For anyone else, this would not be a good career move. The only reason he can do it as a reasonably routine move is being able to take whatever punches Carnage throws. Spiderman relies on his reflexes to dodge them; Wolverine will weather the blows, because he can take a beating like very few other people, and still come back swinging.

• Options
    Spider-Man

Laser look a little more than upset. He had just made it over the water when Spidey rudely interrupted his escape. He turns in the air and screams at webhead.

"You think this can stop me? This is nothing!"

Laser starts to glow a little brighter, and the webbing starts to burn.
    Targeting the complication here. I could get rid of it if I had a doom die to match it, but instead he has to work for it.

d4 Solo, Show-Off d8, Light Supremacy d12, Science Master d10, He's Getting Away! d12

Attack: [1d4=3] [1d8=2] [1d10=9] [2d12=3, 9]

So that's an 18 total with a d12 effect. Spidey gets to make a reaction using whatever he thinks makes sense. If he can't beat it then the complication is removed.

• Options
    @Captain Carrot I think maybe I misunderstood your intent. Are you physically attacking him with that action or are you trying to intimidate him with emotional stress/some kind of complication?

• Options
    Physical attack. The speech was just for fun/characterization. If I'd been going for emotional stress, I would've included Fearsome, though frankly I don't see that working in general on Carnage; the prospect of being the subject of grievous violence isn't particularly intimidating to him, I think.

• Options
    Hmm see I think your justifcation works for defending against attacks but for making them I don't really feel it works. Aside from certain cases where Wolverine intentionally is risking harm to himself to attack someone(like if he ended up following through on that threat to stab Hydro-Man with electronics on his claws). But for this action I don't feel it works.

• Options
    Eh, fair enough. I'll roll the d8 for Enhanced Strength, since I don't think Reflexes or Senses work any better here. Heh. 7. So it's still 18, with a d10 effect die instead of d12.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Wolverine

Still laughing, Carnage seems to welcome Wolverine's ferocity. He dives forward and bounds down off the wall, meeting his foe head-on.
    I think I'm doing to regret getting rid of that d12 and not stepping up a die to d10 when I had the chance.

Buddy d8, Insane d8, Superhuman Reflexes d10, Combat Expert d8

Reaction: [1d10=3] [3d8=8, 3, 2]

Man if I had rolled just a little worse you would have one-shot freaking Carnage. Instead you'll have to settle for only giving him d12 physical stress.

In fact, why don't you go ahead and describe how you badly hurt him the way you would like to. And then pick who goes next, him or his spawn.

Doom Pool: 1d6, 3d8
    Wolverine: 3xp, 2pp
    Carnage: d12 Physical Stress

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    Oh and that's another xp for inflicting physical stress on someone for the first time. So you're up to 3.

• Options
    Heading to bed. Night ya'll.

• Options
    Wolverine

I feel a twinge'a regret for a moment as I start dancin' with Carnage -- havin' Elf an' Hulk here sure would be handy. But as I swing an' parry, Carnage just ain't bringin' what I expected. Sure, he avoids the worst o' my cuts an' slashes, and pounds me pretty hard once or twice, but pretty soon my claws start goin' deep, and th' black 'n' red blood flows thick from his wounds. He screams in fury an' pain, an' jumps t' th' opposite wall, hissin' at me like I wasn't s'posed to be able t' match him.

"C'mere, bub," I growl, adrenaline floodin' my body. "I ain't finished with you yet."
    Carnage should return the shot I took, I think. Man, I thought about spending a power point to up my total a bit, almost wish I had.

• Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Sorry for the delay; family jazz has me tied up. I hope to post later on today.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spider-Man

Over the years Spider-Man had learned that despite the incredible tensile strength it was far from unbreakable. In fact against foes like the Rhino, the Juggernaut, and the Hulk it was little more than an inconvenience. Living Laser might not be that strong but stopping someone moving that fast was no simple task. The strands of webbing started to fraying in his grip.
    1d4 With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility
    1d10 Buddy
    1d10 Superhuman Strength
    1d8 Enhanced Durability
    1d8 Combat Expert
    1d6 Grapple SFX

Attack:1d4+1d10+1d10+1d8+1d8+1d6= [1d4=3 ][1d6= 3][2d8= 2,8] [2d10= 2,8]
    Total: 16
    Effect: d12

I used my Grapple SFX to try and hold onto Living Laser by adding a d6 to my pool and stepping up the effect die but I don’t think it is going to make much difference.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Spider-Man and Howard

While Spidey is strong enough to keep the Living Laser reeled in, the Laser manages to burn through the webs around his ankles. With a snap, the webline breaks.
    Howard is up next, webline complication removed.

Doom Pool: 1d6, 3d8

Howard: 1xp, 1pp
    Spider-Man: 1xp, 2pp, d10 physical stress, Covering Fire d8 asset
    Living Laser: d10 physical stress, d6 emotional stress

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    How high up is he, and is he over the hull, the hole or the water

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Wolverine

Carnage screams in rage, jumping back and away from close range. His tentacles shoot forward, slamming Wolverine into the wall beside the generator. Logan call feel his tendrils start to burrow their way into his skin.

"We will devour you, Wolverine! Devour your soul until there is nothing left!"
    Buddy d8, Muderous d8, Superhuman Strength d8(stepped down with multipower), Tentacles d6(stepped down), Combat Expert d8

Attack: [1d6=6] [4d8=1, 8, 8, 5]

All right, that's an opportunity available from that 1. Gonna spend a d8 to add three for a total of 22 and a d8 effect die. Also as a note: any physical stress inflicted by Carnage in a roll involving Tentacles gets stepped up by one.

Remember, you can add his d12 stress to your roll.

Wolverine: 3xp, 2pp
    Carnage: d12 Physical Stress

• Options
    How high up is he, and is he over the hull, the hole or the water
    Not too high up, Spidey kept him from going too far. I'd say he's roughly right about where the edge of the hull is, about to start flying over the water.

• Options
    Howard should jump onto his back and ride him like a mechanical bull. He's totally got this.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Do tentacles count as a blunt attack for the purposes of the Adamantium Skeleton SFX? And how exactly does that work, anyway? What does converting the die into a Weapon X Program stunt mean? Would the stepped-back physical stress be inflicted on me or him?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    Do tentacles count as a blunt attack for the purposes of the Adamantium Skeleton SFX? And how exactly does that work, anyway? What does converting the die into a Weapon X Program stunt mean? Would the stepped-back physical stress be inflicted on me or him?
    My understanding is that narratively the SFX is supposed to represent a villain's physical attack cracking against Wolvie's hard bones. So like, dude punches Wolverine and ends up breaking his hand, and stuff like that. Mechanically a stunt is a die to add to your next pool. Typically a stunt requires a pp and then gives you a d8. In this case, if you win on the reaction, you can then use Carnage's effect die, a d8, in your next pool against him. Or you could step it down to a d6 and inflict physical stress on him.

Narratively Carnage is basically piercing Wolverine to suck the life out of him Not really the kind of attack I think this SFX is meant for normally, so if you wanted to use the SFX against him, you'll need to describe how the skeleton would end up harming him when he makes this kind of attack. I can think of a justification or two, but I'll let you take a crack at it.

• Options
    Would that d8 be in addition to the d12 physical stress he already has, or instead?

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Would that d8 be in addition to the d12 physical stress he already has, or instead?
    A stunt die is it's own thing. So it would be used in addition to the stress and all the other stuff in the pool.

Now keep in mind that with the way the SFX is worded this is something that happens after your reaction has been calculated. The stunt die wouldn't be added to THIS pool, it would be for your next one. Either your next attack or your next defense against Carnage, depending on how the turn order goes.

I assume it's meant to be sort of a "guy attacks Wolverine, guy hurts himself by hitting adamantium, this gives Wolverine an opening" kind of thing, narratively.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Howard leaps at Living Laser, hoping to tackle him into the water. There, Howard will have the advantage.

"I told you to give up. I told you! But oh nooo, Mr. I'm too good to fight wi..Scratch that, GET MY @$#! KICKED! by a duck had run like a shiny baby! Well here's the news, pal. DUCK YOU!"

Buddy D8 (due to SFX) Lucky d8, Combat d8, leap d6 Fowl Mouthed SFX d6

I end up with 3d8 = 5, 4, 5 : 2d6 = 3 1

I'll use my pp to use 3 die, take 14 with a d6 effect. Also i hope my berating him is enough to qualify for emotional stress, if so, step it up to d8 from Fowl Mouthed

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Howard

Howard leaps and tackles the Living Laser out of the air. Taken by surprse, Laser is thrown off course and darts down towards the ocean, Howard riding on his back, struggling to hold on.

"Get the hell off me!"
    I'll hand you a pp for that 1 and step up my d6 to a d8.

Solo d4, Open to the Elements d4(I'll step up a d8 to a d10 in the pool), Godlike Flight d12, Science Master d10

Reaction: [2d4=2, 3] [1d10=7] [1d12=12]

Oh snap. For a pool with 2d4 that is a pretty awesome roll. Okay I'm going to get a bit creative here...

Laser darts around, heading back towards the Raft at top speed. With Howard still riding him, he chuckles.

"Oh, you are going to regret this, fowl creature."

He speeds forward, skimming just above the water's surface, heading straight for the wall of the Raft on a collision course!

"I can go intangible you idiot! I can just pass through! Something tells me you can't do the same!"

But the apparently brilliant scientist forgot something. The light from his body begins to reflect with the surface of the water. Laser's body starts to freak out, little bits flickering and breaking off. The reflection interferes with him just enough that he loses control! His body shorts out and crashes into the ocean. But it's too late. Howard's momentum carries him the rest of the way. He crashes hard into the side of the building, and then topples into the water himself.
    Okay so I'm going with a 15 total to beat Howard and a d10 effect die. I am then spending a d10 from the doom pool to use it against Howard on a successful reaction. The crash into the wall gives him d10 physical stress. Meanwhile, I am activating Laser's Mirror Mirror limit. This has me add a new d6 to the doom pool, and then turns his flight power into a d12 complication against him. He can recover from that if someone rolls a 1 and I buy it but for now he has the complication and can't fly.

So that leaves us off with...

Howard: 1xp, 1pp, d10 physical stress
    Spider-Man: 1xp, 2pp, d10 physical stress, Covering Fire d8 asset
    Living Laser: d10 physical stress, d6 emotional stress, d12 Mirror Mirror complication

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    Howard was the last in the order so he picks who starts the new one.

• Options
    Isuppose i cant pick myself

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Nightcrawler

Kurt starts to say something about not splitting up the group, but Wolverine and Hydro-Man disappear into the darkness before he can raise the objection. Kurt rummages through a nearby workstation and finds a first aid kit. "Ah, just what the doctor ordered." He hisses as the antibiotic ointment touches his burns. "Mein Gott! Is this antiseptic or jet fuel?" he asks, furiously reading the ingredients on the tube. He quickly wraps a bandage around his wounds and forces a smile for Jen.

"Good as new! Now, let's go find your cousin and take on an entire prison full of lunatics! What could be more fun?" Nightcrawler's chuckles nervously and walks on into the darkness towards Banner's cell.
    Attempt to de-stresss
    Less than Dashing Swashbuckler 1d4+ 1 PP
    Buddy 1d10
    Medical Expert: 2d6

Reduce Physical Stress: 1d4 3 1d10 4 1d6 4 1d6 3

7 with a d10 effect.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Wolverine

I laugh cruelly as he tries to feed on me.

"Hah! Nice try, meat-boy, but you've made another big mistake! See, the claws are one thing, they're just cuttin' yah, and bein' out is kinda the natural state. But as you'll find out in a moment - ah! - touchin' the bones deep inside is another thing entirely! That adamantium is constantly poisonin' me, just a bit, and now it's poisonin' you! And the best part is, when Weapon X stuck this in me it was enormously painful. The longer you're touchin' it, the more it'll hurt."

At that, the tentacles are wormin' around, tryin to stay in muscle an' fat, but I tense up, makin' it much harder for 'em to move.

"Ah-ah-ah! Feel the burn, Carnage!"

I yank his face closer t' mine.

"Feel yer death," I whisper, "in every molecule of the metal coatin' my skeleton. Feel that ache, slowly killin' ya. And when you're dead, I'll just yank out these little wormlets and be good as new, 'cause even now you're bein' squeezed, as my flesh repairs itself."
    Godlike Stamina, Carnage Physical Stress, Solo, Adamantium Claws (Adamantium Skeleton), Combat Master, Best There Is: 2d12+3d10+1d8=4, 4, 6, 1, 4, 8. 14 total with d12 effect die, so (I think?) I still take the d8, but Carnage's tentacle increase and my d12 beating his original d8 means Wolverine takes d8 physical stress? Since Carnage succeeded, the effect of the Skeleton isn't automatic, but I'll spend a pp anyway (particularly since I just got one), to inflict the original d8 as a d6 for physical stress, which if I'm not mistaken takes him out.

• Options
    lets see, well i suppose wolverine can kick things off this time

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    lets see, well i suppose wolverine can kick things off this time
    Each fight has it's own order, just pick someone in yours. So either Spidey or Laser to start off the next order. You can't pick yourself, but you can pick Spidey and then he can pick you to go next if you're wanting to try and finish him before he takes another action.

• Options
    You know @Captain Carrot I was totally gonna spend my d6 doom die to change that d6 to a different kind of stress and keep Carnage in the game, but goddamn I am just gonna let him burn cause that was awesome.

• Options
    Wolverine

Carnage starts to freak out, the symbiote twisting and splashing as he howls in pain.

"NO! It burns! It burns our insides! AAAAARRRGHHGHGHHAAAA"

He yanks his tendrils out of Logan, but it's too late. The adamantium has already infected the symbiote. Carnage collapses and starts convulsing on the floor beside the generator, the symbiote slowly stripping itself away from Kasady's body.

But he's not the only criminal possed by a psycho space creature in the room. Hyrdo-Carnage's arm extends in a disgusting stream of red, black, and blue goop, slamming into Wolverine's face. It sticks onto him, and begins to spread, in an attempt to suffocate the X-Man.
    I'll buy that 1 of yours to step up a d8 to a d10, and then you used that point for your SFX so it evens out. And yeah you got all the details right I'm pretty sure so d8 stress for you and Carnage is now out. As for his partner...

Solo d6, Thug d8, Wolverine's stress d8, Water Blast d8, Superhuman Strength d8(stepped down with Drown SFX)

Attack: [1d6=4] [4d8=8, 7, 6, 2]

Gonna use my last d8 to add three for a total of 21 an a d8 effect die. Going for a Drowning complication, and with the Drown SFX if it hits it'll step up to d10.

Doom Pool: 1d6, 1d10

Wolverine: 3xp, 2pp, d8 Physical Stress