Options

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] Plz be goeth to neweth thread

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    So I somehow screwed up Goldenglow Estate (early thieves' guild quest) by burning more than three beehives. Which is silly, because I only burned three beehives. I did get detected at the very end though. Does that count as a weird universal 'fail' condition?

If I recall correctly, that quest is bugged as hell. Once I attempted it, got attacked by a random dragon and it failed. Another time Dark Brotherhood guys were waiting for me at the hives, but it was all good, despite making a mess of things.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Two weird guys in masks came up to me while I was talking to Klimmek after having just descended the Throat of the World. Before they could talk to me, though, a blood dragon attacked and by the time I killed it they had vanished entirely.

I hope nothing got screwed up. Maybe they saw me murdering a dragon and absorbing its pure essence and figured that was enough evidence that yeah i'm a dragonborn.

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    So I somehow screwed up Goldenglow Estate (early thieves' guild quest) by burning more than three beehives. Which is silly, because I only burned three beehives. I did get detected at the very end though. Does that count as a weird universal 'fail' condition?

I've had the quest fail from burning too many hives due to a dragon attack as well, but generally have never had any problems with it other than that.

Getting detected is not a fail condition at all... in fact, I've completed the quest with a completely non-stealth character who basically just steamrolled through the mercenaries.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Anyone else having an issue with turning in quests? I'll talk to someone, go through the dialogue, and they'll just sit there at the last option I selected, not saying anything, not letting me choose. I have to tab out to keep walking around, and it usually takes the quest item/gives me the reward a few minutes later, after a load screen or something. Dragonborn mod conflict, or just dragonborn bugginess?

Also, it's snowing indoors. What.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Anyone have any suggestions on how to bind dual wielding weapons?

• Options
    I thought I could slip into Riften and sell stuff/finish my business quickly without any run-ins with the thieves guild since i'm playing a good character this time around, but no. All that stuff is mandatory or super in-your-face.

So, that's that. Downloading and installing the Destroy the Thieves Guild mod, I don't care if it breaks quests I wasn't going to do anyway.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I don't think any of the thieves guild is mandatory

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    they ask you to do part of it in the main quest, but if you know where to go you don't need to bother

same thing with the mage college

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Anyone have any suggestions on how to bind dual wielding weapons?

I don't think there's really an easy way... even the mod "More Hotkeys, please" can't quite find a way to bind something specifically to your left hand.

This is another reason I've never really done dual-wielding, besides the whole "can't block" thing.

• Options
    Perhaps mandatory was the wrong word. I just meant you can't do anything in Riften without first seeing how horrible these people are.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    First thing that happened when I walked into the Riften inn was that Brynjolf got in my face with his "so, I can tell you're a dishonest person like me" spiel.
    If he wasn't set essential, my very honorable warrior would have stared at him for a moment, then cleaved his head from his shoulders.

(Having to kill everyone else in the room afterwards would have been troublesome, but doable.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Anyone else having an issue with turning in quests? I'll talk to someone, go through the dialogue, and they'll just sit there at the last option I selected, not saying anything, not letting me choose. I have to tab out to keep walking around, and it usually takes the quest item/gives me the reward a few minutes later, after a load screen or something. Dragonborn mod conflict, or just dragonborn bugginess?

Also, it's snowing indoors. What.
    I had weird shit happening to me after I loaded up Dragonborn, but I don't know if it was related to Dragonborn or not. Basically, the scripting engine was super backed up. There was some script or other that wasn't running properly or something, and it was causing other scripts to not trigger. I couldn't use carriages because it wouldn't register me getting into the back of it. I'd just get in and wait and nothing. If I moved on, the gold would finally be pulled out of my inventory 5 or 10 minutes later. Dialogues that were supposed to lock me in place wouldn't, and would disable my movement after I'd walked away. Then there was no trigger to give me control back, so I'd just be stuck until I reloaded. I fixed it in my game by loading my save and disabled the scripts on all the mods I had running that gave me an MCM option to do so (Frostfall, Realistic Needs and Diseases, Dynavision, etc.). Then just waited it out while whatever was running finished. After a minute or two, I could properly cast the candlelight spell without a delay before the light came out, so I went back into MCM and turned those mods back on. Everything's been fine since.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    balmora__aerial_view_by_lelek1980-d4to7sw.jpg

Just wanted to share.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    I've seen some of that guy's stuff before. All of it's amazing, but I really like seeing some of those Morrowind locations at full scale.
    telvanni_tower_by_lelek1980-d4x2dx3.jpg

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    holy shit that guy:
    nerevar_brooding_by_lelek1980-d57xuze.jpg

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Telvanni = best reason for flight magic

• Options
    cmdchickencmdchicken Registered User regular
    Is anyone else running the Warzones mod to liven up the landscape and civil war a bit? I'm playing a Redguard Imperial loyalist and the half dozen or so warzones I've come across have been super imbalanced in favour of the Stormcloaks. Like, a tidal wave of racist scumbag Nords that beat me down everytime. No Imperials in sight but corpses. I'm not currently flagged hostile to the Stormcloaks but its bugging my RP bones to just run past them because fighting is impossible.

Have I just been unlucky, are the Imperial NPCs just rubbish in the vanilla game, or is the mod maker just biased as hell?

...fucking snowflakes!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    1. I really need to get Skyrim for my rockin' PC. I'm depressed I can't play with some of the mods.

2. It's still a really fun game on the XBOX (my copy came for free with my XBOX I got for college, hence the lack of a PC version). Just spent a little time with some random adventuring, delivering swift violent justice to those not worthy of the gift of life (namely some Thalmor), cause that's what my Redguard does. He is an avatar of Death and vengeance, here to bring bloody ends to the Thalmor and anyone else who is generally a dick. Sadly, it also means I've sided with the Stormcloaks, but only because the Empire capitulated to those Elven bastards. But Ulfric is one man, and his racism will likely die with him.

That, and it feels good to know that to the Thalmor, thieves, and arrogant rich people, I'm some sorta Punisher like figure who could swoop from the shadows at anytime to slice off their heads. And I love that my character's physical appearance is a cross between Baron Samedi and Avon Barksdale... and I guess Azeem from Robin Hood (in fact, I named my game Azim without even thinking of it, and was actually inspired to do that thanks to CKII). Al'Ikir Hood? Check. Scimitar? Check. Never drinks alcohol? Huh, also check. If I have any regrets, its that I've gone straight sword n' board, and haven't embraced a bit of Destruction magic. Lighting people on fire seems like it would've fit the character I've sculpted.

• Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    Comradebot wrote: »
    1. I really need to get Skyrim for my rockin' PC. I'm depressed I can't play with some of the mods.

2. It's still a really fun game on the XBOX (my copy came for free with my XBOX I got for college, hence the lack of a PC version). Just spent a little time with some random adventuring, delivering swift violent justice to those not worthy of the gift of life (namely some Thalmor), cause that's what my Redguard does. He is an avatar of Death and vengeance, here to bring bloody ends to the Thalmor and anyone else who is generally a dick. Sadly, it also means I've sided with the Stormcloaks, but only because the Empire capitulated to those Elven bastards. But Ulfric is one man, and his racism will likely die with him.

That, and it feels good to know that to the Thalmor, thieves, and arrogant rich people, I'm some sorta Punisher like figure who could swoop from the shadows at anytime to slice off their heads. And I love that my character's physical appearance is a cross between Baron Samedi and Avon Barksdale... and I guess Azeem from Robin Hood (in fact, I named my game Azim without even thinking of it, and was actually inspired to do that thanks to CKII). Al'Ikir Hood? Check. Scimitar? Check. Never drinks alcohol? Huh, also check. If I have any regrets, its that I've gone straight sword n' board, and haven't embraced a bit of Destruction magic. Lighting people on fire seems like it would've fit the character I've sculpted.

I'm in the process of swapping my xbox copy for a pc one, I just put my xbox copy on an auction site currently sitting at $30 which is perfect because the place I'm going to get skyrim pc from sells download codes for $30

xbox was alright but those load times were fucking terrible

I played for close to 100 hours but by the end they were driving me insane

• Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Comradebot wrote: »

I'm in the process of swapping my xbox copy for a pc one, I just put my xbox copy on an auction site currently sitting at $30 which is perfect because the place I'm going to get skyrim pc from sells download codes for $30

xbox was alright but those load times were fucking terrible

I played for close to 100 hours but by the end they were driving me insane

Sadly, not an option for me. The free copy that came with my XBOX is of the digital variety.

Eh, one day, when I've got a bunch more money to just burn on a game I already own. Even with extensive, awesome mods, it's hard to justify right now.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    You must take the lexicon to Avanchnzel
    to Avanch
    to Avanch
    to Avanchnzel
    You must take the lexicon
    You must take the lexicon
    You must take the lexicon to Avanchnzel

Vorpal wrote: »
    I feel more immersed when it's harder to kill things.

I...I can't figure out how to do magic right. Granted usually magic is either useless or horrifically OP - same with alchemy, enchanting, and player made gear. Generally I just play a melee fighter and don't craft/enchant things, stay away from min maxing and don't look up guides, etc, spend my time going "oooh what is over HERE" and have fun in the games.

But anyway... I finally figured out the favorites -> hotkeys method. But it doesn't seem to work for magic. I'd like to equip a healing spell in my RIGHT hand but the healing spell in my favorites always goes to the LEFT hand when I click the hotkey. But it seems like I have to click that hotkey *every time* I want to use my magic. If I equip a spell and use it by clicking Z, then go hit something with a sword, clicking Z again does nothing. I'm not too bothered as I was mostly planning to give magic a pass anyway.

I will say I found Morrowind by far the best, story wise. Everyone treated you like criminal scum and was constantly making snide remarks about you (get out of here, OUTLANDER) until you had really done something in the world.

In Oblivion you're the chosen hero of the emperor and have earned the trust of the blades PDQ. And in Skyrim you are the amazing dragonborn having killed a dragon and absorbed his soul all in what felt like a few minutes. If anything Skyrim feels too easy (I'm using ACE and ASIS which is supposed to make things harder?) Oblivion was way too easy was well, at least until you installed OOO. I felt like Morrowind was hard as heck though :D But that was the first one I played.

The world also felt much bigger then, as there was no fast travel of any kind. You had to hoof it to silt strider/mage guild locations.

Hotkeys equip the same hand a lot. It works better if you press Hotkey 1 -> Hotkey 1 -> Hotkey 2, because the second Hotkey 1 will put it on the other hand, too.

But you might want to do it my way. The Magic-menu. The big one. When you get the habit, it takes no effort, because habit. The big, big thing with that list is that everything is categorised and alphabetised. Easy to use. It is your big wizard-book. Favourite-list sucks.

It becomes overpowered. Some make the mistake of not using much Alteration, Illusion or Conjuration.

Stabbing things: Dual daggers don't please me aesthetically. It's not a proper backstab with more than one.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Favourite list is great when you have the Categorized Favourites mod. It's one of two things that I'd recommend to everyone (along with SkyUI).

• Options
    I received some tutoring in archery from a big, deformed wolf. Seems a rare opportunity.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    So, I don't remember exactly who it was, but a long long time ago someone in here made a mod to make the dragonpriest masks/diadem of the savant not be armor, because it's dumb to give mage items enough armor to ruin the mage armor perks, but not enough to be useful.

That someone should update their mod for Dragonborn's new content.
    :edit: just looked up the mod, it was @Echo what did it.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Stupid Mjoll. Why you no give quest?

Elven Helmet looks funny on Nordic Carved Armor.

PLA on
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    First thing that happened when I walked into the Riften inn was that Brynjolf got in my face with his "so, I can tell you're a dishonest person like me" spiel.
    If he wasn't set essential, my very honorable warrior would have stared at him for a moment, then cleaved his head from his shoulders.

(Having to kill everyone else in the room afterwards would have been troublesome, but doable.)
    The Skyrim version of the Thieves guild is a lot darker than Cyrodiil's. Gray Fox was more of a Robin Hood figure working towards the goal of getting his life back.

They're real crooks, a true bunch of slimeballs. They even have friendly relations with the Dark Brotherhood and have some of their former members.

To be honest, I was not a fan of the one in Oblivion aside from the last mission which was pretty crazy. These guys more fit my style when I go sneaking around and pickpocketing.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Oh, haven't heard this line before.

Mr. Balgruuf: "In a world full of fools, you stand out above the rest. Here. Take this as a small sign of my friendship."

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I've been putting together a sneaky rogue character who avoids killing at all costs and only steals from bandits.

Not killing people in this game is hard.

• Options
    AcharenusAcharenus Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Getting weird black circles around a lot of spell effects/ some monsters, before I spend the rest of the day testing mods/settings has anyone else experienced a similar problem and have hit a solution?

Also I both love and hate apocrypha, it's got awesome visuals but it's all so samey except one where all the shadows do slow damage to you, and you need to stay in the moving light sources while fighting seakers/lurkers made for a tense but unfortunately short exp. really skyrim in general needs different game play like that. Once you've done one dungeon you've pretty much done them all.

And dragon riding is more frustrating then fun, less effective then being on foot to...can't wait for modders to dig into it.

Acharenus on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I think I need to disable/clean out my enb config. The light levels and changes are just giving me headaches.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Acharenus wrote: »
    Also I both love and hate apocrypha, it's got awesome visuals but it's all so samey except one where all the shadows do slow damage to you, and you need to stay in the moving light sources while fighting seakers/lurkers made for a tense but unfortunately short exp. really skyrim in general needs different game play like that. Once you've done one dungeon you've pretty much done them all.
    That section of apocrypha is far less exciting when you realize that that one useless Alteration spell that makes a light that follows you protects you from the damage.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    It's only useless if you have nightvision.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Destroy the Thieves Guild

Figured this would be a quest mod of interest to do-gooders.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    I have ACE installed, as well as the CCO and WAF.

I was told ACE made SPO bad to install, so I don't have that one installed.

Thing is, I think they are interacting funnily. I have duplicate recipes for a lot of things (something CCO & WAF say they took out) and am missing some recipes. My memory of vanilla is hazy, but I think I could make steel from corundum and iron? Now I can just make it from iron & charcoal (but there are multiple entries for that)

Should I have installed SPO after all? Note that the 'auto levelling' smithing perks for ACE are working correctly, so that is nice.

Though I'm not sure how the upgrading works. My stuff is all at 'fine' but I can't figure out how to improve it. I got the perks that let me upgrade armor and weapons one more level, but fine is all I can upgrade them too.

Of course, since I'm not really having trouble with the combat, I'm not too distressed at my inability to make better gear.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Tried to boot up Skyrim for the first time in over 6 months the other day using CoT and an ENB. Unsurprisingly, the game CTD before the title screen.

Since it's been so long since I went through my mod list, I'm thinking of just wiping the slate clean and starting over, sticking to the essentials and slowly work my way upward.

I just wanted to know what was the best way to do this. Would I suffice just unchecking all the mods, or is it better to just outright uninstall everything?

Assuming it's the latter, what's the most efficient way to do this, just to avoid any lingering (and conflicting) files?

• Options
    Things start off pretty strongly once you get to Solstheim. Start with a simple quest to clear out a mine, then things go well off into 'what the fuuuuck' territory quickly.

Plus it's nice to be back in Morrowind again, even if only technically.

• Options
    AcharenusAcharenus Registered User regular
    If you're wanting to start from scratch mod wise the easiest way to do it would probably be to turn them all off and or uninstall them and start a new character(s)

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Acharenus wrote: »
    If you're wanting to start from scratch mod wise the easiest way to do it would probably be to turn them all off and or uninstall them and start a new character(s)

Willing to do all that except start a new character.

Already put nearly 200 hours into the game, and haven't even finished the campaign. Not willing to start over.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Vorpal wrote: »
    I have ACE installed, as well as the CCO and WAF.

I was told ACE made SPO bad to install, so I don't have that one installed.

Thing is, I think they are interacting funnily. I have duplicate recipes for a lot of things (something CCO & WAF say they took out) and am missing some recipes. My memory of vanilla is hazy, but I think I could make steel from corundum and iron? Now I can just make it from iron & charcoal (but there are multiple entries for that)

Should I have installed SPO after all? Note that the 'auto levelling' smithing perks for ACE are working correctly, so that is nice.

Though I'm not sure how the upgrading works. My stuff is all at 'fine' but I can't figure out how to improve it. I got the perks that let me upgrade armor and weapons one more level, but fine is all I can upgrade them too.

Of course, since I'm not really having trouble with the combat, I'm not too distressed at my inability to make better gear.
    SPO is redundant with ACE Smithing. You want ACE Smithing installed, because it has the rad-ass perk tree. You don't want SPO installed, because ACE Smithing was designed to replace it.

CCO removes the corundum/iron recipe from steel, so you shouldn't have it. You should have two coal/iron recipes for steel. One is for charcoal, which you get from smelting firewood. The other is for charcoal sticks, which can be looted or bought from stores. If you have more than that, something's weird. The only thing that you should actually have completely redundant entries for are arrows if you have Dawnguard installed, since both CCO and Dawnguard add craftable arrows.

If you want to improve your equipment further, you need a higher smithing skill. CCO changes how improvement scales with skill, such that you can't get legendary items until you have 100 skill and both perks, excluding potions or enchantments that improve smithing. If you just got the first perk, you'll probably have to get at least one skill increase before you can improve your stuff again, even though you could actually do it. I think that's a problem with the vanilla game.

Monger on