Options

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] Plz be goeth to neweth thread

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    New DLC doesn't generally conflict directly with or break mods unless the mod is performing or changing a function that the DLC also uses, which is rare.

Dawnguard broke like none of my mods. Some had to be updated for some functionality to work with DLC items, but as long as you don't have other issues, just getting some DLC isn't going to break stuff.
    Some mods have even been preemptively updated for the new content, too. IIRC, Frostfall and Realistic Needs and Diseases have been Dragonborn-ready for weeks.

• Options
    PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Played for a few minutes, some saucy bastards ran up and implied I wasn't the swell hero I claim to be; arrows in foreheads settled the argument. Then I went for a boat ride! I picked new weeds, killed new creatures and set a new fashion trend for bandits: decapitated. So far so good!

The mental image of this is so great

Some nobody running up to the motherfucking Dragonborn, wearing the scales and bones of his slain foes, using weapons enchanted with the very souls of those that crossed him, just generally a completely terrifying dude, and just shouting at him that he ain't such a big deal.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm trying to decide whether to play this through the first time as my new redguard whirlwind of death, my breton cleric, or my imperial vampire god.

Was there a level range they suggest for it to start?

• Options
    JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    Hey guys, I found this out the hard way: With the unoffical patches and the dragonborn DLC, you can't actually be the dragonborn (Asorb souls of dragons) unless you load dragonborn.esm after the unoffical patches.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Jaramr wrote: »
    Hey guys, I found this out the hard way: With the unoffical patches and the dragonborn DLC, you can't actually be the dragonborn (Asorb souls of dragons) unless you load dragonborn.esm after the unoffical patches.

there's a bug in the original game that occasionally prevents dragons from "dying" after you put them down and you don't absorb their soul. that's just a bug that has been there forever.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    I just reinstalled this for the first time in several months and figured I'd install ENB for the first time, and I'm kind of overwhelmed by how user unfriendly it is.

I was able to get it hooked in an everything, but in the top left of the loading screen it says 'ENB version .102,' even though I downloaded and installed .146. Is this normal, or have I somehow installed an older version?

Also, I installed a custom ENB mod via the Nexus mod manager, but have no indication that it's both installed and working properly. Is there a way to check?

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Frei wrote: »
    Jaramr wrote: »

there's a bug in the original game that occasionally prevents dragons from "dying" after you put them down and you don't absorb their soul. that's just a bug that has been there forever.

Whether it's a bug or not, it's only for the ones that respawn at specific locations like word walls, meaning you can't go back to the same location over and over to farm souls from the same dragon. Dragons that spawn at random in the world don't have that issue. It could have been intentional.

Aistan on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    It definitely happens with the first dragon as well. By happens I mean, doesn't happen if you've got the load order wrong, meaning you can't progress.

• Options
    How the hell do I convince BOSS or NMM to load Dragonborn *after* the unofficial patches? They both seem pretty adamant about preventing that.

• Options
    How the hell do I convince BOSS or NMM to load Dragonborn *after* the unofficial patches? They both seem pretty adamant about preventing that.
    You don't. You can't load an esp before an esm.

• Options
    So...how the hell do you solve the "can't absorb souls" problem?

I see that there's already an unofficial Dragonborn patch, so maybe that'll do it.

• Options
    Unofficial Dragonborn Patch fixes the dragon soul problem, yeah.

As it turns out, something (not Dragonborn) has broken the scripting engine in my game. Figuring out what is not going to be fun.

• Options
    How do I get the Dragonborn content started? I saw somewhere you need to be at a certain point in the main quest, right?

• Options
    Bob the InsaneBob the Insane Registered User regular
    How do I get the Dragonborn content started? I saw somewhere you need to be at a certain point in the main quest, right?

Not sure about the "certain point" thing.. I think you just need to be in a main town (I was in Solitude) and they wander up to you...

Maybe you have to have been declared the Dragonborn by the Greybeards?

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    How does the game run on the ps3? I know Oblivion had its issues but I'm hoping they learnt their lessons from that. Plus I'd be coming at this from having played the PC version for around 60 hours when it released. I just need a big timesink and this would make for a relatively cheap one.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    You would have to be Dragonborn and possibly even have slain the big bad for the DLC to start. Basically, some jackass cultists will come and find you in the wilds. That first dungeon in Dragonborn is pretty awesomely huge, not a lot of new geometry to it, but still, I even got killed at one point after getting blown across a room and then slotted with arrows while I was getting up.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    According to what I've seen online, you have to have begun the quest for Jurgen Windcaller's horn. So, basically, you need to have visited the greybeards and then visit one of the cities. You can also just talk to the ship captain in Windhelm (I forget his name) and go to Solstheim to wander around and do sidequests. However, the actual Dragonborn quest line won't start until you do the above. That's pretty much what I did; did a bunch of crap in Solstheim, went back to Windhelm, and got attacked by some cultists.

• Options
    Okay, I guess I know what I'll be doing tonight.

• Options
    ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    So the Nexus has an unofficial patch for Dragonborn that fixes the Dragon Soul issue? I was wondering if something got broken when I killed two dragons and nothing happened before I even got attacked by those cultists.

• Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    Zaylenz wrote: »
    So the Nexus has an unofficial patch for Dragonborn that fixes the Dragon Soul issue? I was wondering if something got broken when I killed two dragons and nothing happened before I even got attacked by those cultists.
    Yeah, currently the Unofficial Skyrim Patch is looking like the prime suspect. Some have reported having the issue resolved by downloading and installing the Unofficial Dragonborn Patch and then running BOSS, but others have reported that the soul absorption issue remains even after that. I suppose you could also try just disabling the Unofficial Skyrim Patch for the time being, though I wouldn't recommend it, as that may mess up your save.

• Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    Is there a mod to make my shouts sound more awesome?

Also...does anyone else have an audio issue where if you are say, running by an NPC and he starts talking, it's fine, as you run past him it abrutply fades to unintelligible, then as you are past him it is normal sound again? Basically say the 3rd or 4th word of the dialogue you miss. I have subtitles on so it's not a huge deal (although is there any way to increasae the range at which subtitles work?) but it is a bit immersion breaking.

Also frostfall is awesome <3 There have been times where I would definitely have died to the cold had I not been a nord, which seems fitting!

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    So steam is downloading 1.5GB of something for Skyrim, any news on what it is?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    DLC that lets you play Morrowind on the Skyrim engine.

*dreams*

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Vorpal wrote: »

*dreams*

how long can you wait?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vru8HIvq_Ek

august on
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    So how often should "random" dragon attacks occur? I feel like I haven't had one for ages and could really do with some souls!

Should I fast travel less? I think I read further up that the ones at nests don't give a soul once they respawn?

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    So steam is downloading 1.5GB of something for Skyrim, any news on what it is?
    There's a third HD DLC pack now. I assume it's high res textures for all the Dragonborn content.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    august wrote: »

*dreams*

how long can you wait?

I'd rather just play Morrowind

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Darmak wrote: »

*dreams*

how long can you wait?

I'd rather just play Morrowind

yeah well, some of us are shallow and really like pretty graphics.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    We are morally obligated to remake Morrowind until I can walk the hills of Vvanderfell on the freaking holodeck.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    How does the game run on the ps3? I know Oblivion had its issues but I'm hoping they learnt their lessons from that. Plus I'd be coming at this from having played the PC version for around 60 hours when it released. I just need a big timesink and this would make for a relatively cheap one.

Is it really that bad, that n nobody answers? :p

• Options
    I was rather dubious about Frostfall, but after giving it a try i'm fully on board. That combined with limiting myself to carriages only for fast travel has added a ton to the game.

However, Frostfall + my new character being a Dunmer makes Windhelm even more of a miserable hole than it was before. I was planning on staying neutral in the civil war for this character, but any more time spent there may change my mind. Unfortunately there's a massive blizzard going on, so being stuck there seems to be in the cards for the near future.

• Options

Is it really that bad, that n nobody answers? :p

I honestly can't conceive of playing these on a console. The mods just add so much for me.

That said, I have no direct experience of playing it on consoles so I can't really help you. All I can say is the default UI for both Oblivion and Skyrim is a piece of shit, specifically because it's made for consoles, and one of the first things to do is get a mod that gives you a real UI.

For how much time you spend hopping through menus and inventories, you want that to be a painless process.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Sorry if it's been asked a bunch before, but anyone have an idea as to how long the new expansion pack is? I mean, assuming you're anything like me and have to do everything there is to do.

I've got way too much stuff going on to get lost in Skyrim (and the modding thereof) right now, but I definitely want to pick this up when things calm down a bit.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    Sorry if it's been asked a bunch before, but anyone have an idea as to how long the new expansion pack is? I mean, assuming you're anything like me and have to do everything there is to do.

I've racked up 21 hours so far with Dragonborn, and I still have quite a few areas to visit and the main quest yet to finish. I've heard numbers of 20-30 hours thrown around and that sounds about right. It's also has an awesome Lovecraft vibe and is probably the most fun I've had yet with Skyrim.

• Options
    I will say that I was surprised at how short the main quest was but there's a ton of other shit to make up the difference.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Cheers guys.

I'm really stoked to play this, but I know if I get skyrim installed again (and, per usual, waste hours modding it) I'll get sucked in like usual, which would be a bad thing right now. Shit, last time I fell down the rabbit hole was when Dawnguard came out. Started a new game intending to just to the new quests (HA!) and many, many hours later I still hadn't even touched it. Got side tracked and still haven't seen anything past the very beginnings of the damn thing! Rough life and all that.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Dizzen wrote: »
    Zaylenz wrote: »
    Yeah, currently the Unofficial Skyrim Patch is looking like the prime suspect. Some have reported having the issue resolved by downloading and installing the Unofficial Dragonborn Patch and then running BOSS, but others have reported that the soul absorption issue remains even after that. I suppose you could also try just disabling the Unofficial Skyrim Patch for the time being, though I wouldn't recommend it, as that may mess up your save.

Give this a try, but be prepared to go back to earlier saves. The Unofficial Skyrim Patch is designed in such a way that you SHOULD be able to remove it without breaking your game--but at the same time, removing the patch may not disable the fixes it implements. Earlier versions of the patch DEFINITELY had issues, so it's entirely possible some still are encountered with new things like Dragonborn.

Or it could just be something in the base game they haven't addressed yet. I had a Skyrim playthrough broken about 25 hours in because it turned out, surprise surprise, I wasn't the dragonborn--I couldn't absorb any souls have the first one.

• Options
    WydrionWydrion Registered User regular
    We are morally obligated to remake Morrowind until I can walk the hills of Vvanderfell on the freaking holodeck.

B'vek, it's Vvardenfell, get it right.

N'wah.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Woo! Starting Dragonborn with my new graphics card. <3

Dark elf bigotry at high settings.

Can even finally play Witcher 2 now. Good times ahead.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    So I somehow screwed up Goldenglow Estate (early thieves' guild quest) by burning more than three beehives. Which is silly, because I only burned three beehives. I did get detected at the very end though. Does that count as a weird universal 'fail' condition?