As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Psycho-Pass]: Season 2 Now Airing (Dubbed Episodes Begin November 8th)

123457»

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Sad to hear this season is disappointing. I'd just watched the first season a few months ago and it was probably one of my favorite anime that I'd watched in a long time.

I don't know what it is but it seems like every time an anime I liked gets a 2nd season its always pretty lackluster compared to the first.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I'm only one dude, but I can say that I at least have been enjoying the second season. (I think I've still got two episodes to go; I'm a week behind because I'm sitting in the cheap seats.) It definitely lacks the amount of world-building done in the first season; what was cool about the first season is we got to see their underground music scene, their online spaces, their schools and their homes. The second season has been much more of a manhunt throughout. I don't think that's necessarily a detriment, though, just a matter of using the setting in a different way.

Then again, I'm pretty much criminally asymptomatic when it comes to the media. I have this weird ability to withstand things that send other viewers into conniptions, so take this one dude's opinion with a grain of salt.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I enjoyed this season well enough. Nowhere near as good as s1, but I cannot call it awful.

Hopefully the movie will turn out well.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    The ease in which people can easily pick apart the dozens of plot-holes introduced in Season 2 leads me to believe the writer they got never actually watched the previous season.

• Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Ssssort've. I've been putting this off because I know what to look forward to with some characters and guts and blood and stuff. I'm honestly more interested in SYBIL than in any other character in the series so far so I'm just wondering if we get enough PoV scenes from a SYBIL controlled camera or something so I have something to chew on regarding the system itself.

Have you seen the first season? I'm gathering you have not. In case, yes, I think there is sufficient material of that nature to be worth watching, thought it definitely focuses on the enforcers and inspectors primarily. I'd recommend the first season to anyone who is interested in science fiction, period, as I really consider it one of the better pieces of sci-fi I've seen, anime or not. The second season is merely okay, which is a terrible plummet from the quality of the first.

• Options
    WydrionWydrion Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Final episode of season 2.
    I asked for one motherfucking thing (Mika's removal from the series one way or the other) and I didn't even get that.

So not only does she get away with being an accessory to murder with Akane's grandmother, she somehow manages to mentally convince herself that she was manipulated and thus rendered guiltless while also aware of what she has done....and still keeps her Psycho-Pass from increasing???

The mere idea that she's going to continue being around makes me not want to even think about giving the movie a chance. Her character is beyond salvaging, in my opinion, even if they just decide to completely ignore her actions in this season and use it as an excuse to "rewrite" her shitty personality.

It never even made any goddamn sense why she was so devoted to the Sibyl System, considering her best friend was killed because the system couldn't locate the serial killer living in her school. Her inclusion in the end of season 1 led to a lot of interesting potential and they just went the complete opposite with her portrayal.

And if you're going to say that she was a character that was intentionally set up to reach a downfall, then they handled that shittily as well. If you want to see a series that does a terrific job of steadily making a character worse, watch Kamen Rider Gaim (guess who wrote it).

Here's a good recap of the season that mirrors pretty much how I felt (and introduces even more plot holes I overlooked): http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/psycho-pass-2/episode-11/.82404

From what I'm reading, it sounds like season 2 is going to be wholeheartedly ignored in every single way with the movie, as if the staff knew it was going to be inconsequential filler from the start. Even so, it's really hard to just whitewash a black stain in a series' storyline, especially when certain remnants are still lingering around. I don't know if they plan to continue the story beyond the movie, and I also don't know if I'll be interested to see what they plan. I don't think even Urobuchi could course-correct the level of dumb that went on here.

At least I know to avoid whatever else this guy writes.

That breakdown of the last episode on ANN actually made me change my mind on my assessment of the season. I still think it could be improved by introducing what its trying to accomplish from the get-go, but that definitely pointed out why it sucked compared to season 1.

Wydrion on
  • Options
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2015-01-05/psycho-pass-sybil-system-scans-visitors-at-shinjuku-station/.82859

A hilarious (and somewhat morbid) marketing stint for the movie, which hits Japanese theaters on January 9th.

I'm going to be very interested in non-spoiler impressions to see if the movie manages to bounce back from the horrendous second season. I still have no idea if Urobuchi is actually involved in that one.

It's also rumored that the XBox One game is getting localized, which I would be all over it if being the case.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Season 2
    In reference to the criticism that people (and brains) that become clouded after previously being criminally asymptomic contradicts the first season, what if this happened because being forced to scan Kamui caused the Sybil System to reevaluate its criteria for what constitutes an asymptomatic scan?

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Hex, I think that is what they were shooting for,
    redefine clouded and upon fear of the whole system killing itself, forced those who were against group scanning to be defined as clouded?

gross. I dont even like discussing the theory behind the whole season because of how baddumb it became. Hopefully the movie is better.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    It sounds like a season 3 has been confirmed and the movie apparently is not disappointing garbage, since Urobuchi actually worked on it.

In fact, allegedly season 2 is Urobuchi's fault; since the movie's plot was already written, they were expressly told not to develop season 2's characters too much so as not to contradict the movie. In other words, it was doomed to filler from the start....in which case they never should've made the fucking thing in the first place.

Considering that season 2 ruined a certain character beyond repair, this only hurts things more. I still want to see the movie and hope it plays here like Madoka, but they're going to have to really do a lot of work to restore my faith in the series itself.

Professor Snugglesworth on