As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Single Origin, Organic, Genetically Nonengineered food thread [Food Thread]

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    No, I'm pretty sure this is a case of you noticing the ones that are annoying and not really noticing the ones that aren't and then assuming they're all annoying.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Alternatively you're just easily enraged by people's dietary choices.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Yes because my exact post was "I HATE ALL VEGANS AND HOPE THAT THEY CHOKE ON THEIR FUCKING VEGETABLES AND DIE"

No, what I said was that I have a problem with vegans and that's because the vegans I know are self-righteous and pushy about their food views. I'm happy to acknowledge that there are probably vegans who are lovely people who don't bother anyone and I don't mind them at all but none of them are in my immediate circle. Thanks for extrapolating a crudely extreme view out of a relatively mild statement.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2013
    Sometimes I like to make a double burger with one beef and one gardenburger because they are tasty.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    if you ask me, vegans deserve to be self-righteous. doin' it tough for our sustainable future

they don't even get yoghurt

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    I like how you're basically going, "look I didn't make a generalization about vegans, I just said I have a problem with vegans!"

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »
    if you ask me, vegans deserve to be self-righteous. doin' it tough for our sustainable future

they don't even get yoghurt

But veganism isn't sustainable without widespread changes to agriculture either?

• Options
    er... ethical future?

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Druhim wrote: »
    I like how you're basically going, "look I didn't make a generalization about vegans, I just said I have a problem with vegans!"

I like how you're the arbiter of good opinions and how if something isn't expressed in a perfectly nuanced way so as to make a person's exact thoughts clear you jump on them. THANK GOD YOU'RE HERE TO KEEP US IN LINE

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    er... ethical future?

quinoa popularity may be causing food shortages in the countries where it is harvested because demand is driving price to the point where people who grow it can no longer afford to eat it
    basically every diet and food has problems and people who get up and tubthump about how this or that way of eating makes them in any way better than anyone else is an idiot - which is not to say all vegans or locavores are like that, but it does seem to be far more common within those groups - not to even get into the classism that's pretty common when it comes to dietary preferences

• Options
    yeah, we all read that article

i only ever mentioned it because i know i'd sleep easier at night not consuming mass-farmed meat and animal products, and as the world demands more of it as china and india pull themselves up into the middle classes, it'll become more and more of a strain on the environment. but i eat it because i love it, i love using it, and i don't feel that guilty that i could give it up. being vegan does make life harder and most people who choose that do it for the right reasons - it's not just arrogance - so i think they deserve some credit.

fuck, man, social entropy is hard work tonight

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I dunno. Following that rationale, shouldn't I get a pat on the back for changing to flourescent light globes? Surely the reward of knowing you're helping to try and solve the problem is all the recognition a person should ever need?

EDIT: This reads much snarkier than I meant. I mean no snark at all!

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    Peen wrote: »

I like how you're the arbiter of good opinions and how if something isn't expressed in a perfectly nuanced way so as to make a person's exact thoughts clear you jump on them. THANK GOD YOU'RE HERE TO KEEP US IN LINE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix_F7rEExqI

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    not being able to order a sandwich with mayonaisse, a plate of fettuccine or a bowl of cereal - let alone a hamburger or a pizza - is a little bit more of a sacrifice than getting up on a dining chair without someone to spot you. but sure, you get a pat on the back, too

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    not being able to order a sandwich with mayonaisse, a plate of fettuccine or a bowl of cereal - let alone a hamburger or a pizza - is a little bit more of a sacrifice than getting up on a dining chair without someone to spot you. but sure, you get a pat on the back, too

That's the fun part - I'm tall enough that I don't need a step up to change bulbs in standard height ceilings!

• Options
    no pat for you

i bet you even got it free from one of those booths at the shops

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Peen wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix_F7rEExqI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPCiW2xFKf4

• Options
    Nah mang, 4 packs of 14 watt flouro globes for $16 from Bunnings. There's only 7 globe sockets in our whole apartment, so yay!

• Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    Can anyone make any good cookbook recommendations for quick and healthy everyday meals? I'd like to take my cooking from a once a week thing to an every day thing, but as delicious as the things I make on the weekend are I don't think it's very good for your body to eat them every single day

xet8c.gif

• Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    i think @peen means that they have a problem with the vegans they know, based on what they know of them - and that opinion does not affect vegans of the world outside of that.

or that's how he or she should've phrased it anyway.

• Options
    hell i feel annoying right now because i can't eat gluten for 2 months (checking for reactions again.)
    i feel like such a fad-person.

• Options
    Sal wrote: »
    Can anyone make any good cookbook recommendations for quick and healthy everyday meals? I'd like to take my cooking from a once a week thing to an every day thing, but as delicious as the things I make on the weekend are I don't think it's very good for your body to eat them every single day

T T T TRIPLE POST -- "How To Cook Everything". This is the only cookbook I recommend because it tells you how to make particular things, and then 50 ways to change em up with the same knowledge. It's a book you'll find yourself reading even when you aren't looking for recipes.

http://www.amazon.ca/How-Cook-Everything-Simple-Recipes/dp/0470398574

• Options
    edited February 2013
    mully wrote: »
    i think peen means that they have a problem with the vegans they know, based on what they know of them - and that opinion does not affect vegans of the world outside of that.

or that's how he or she should've phrased it anyway.

Yes it is, thank you mully.

Peen on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Fried Catfish, Wild Boar Andouille and Shrimp Etouffee, Mustard Greens dressed with Alligator Bacon (yeah Alligator) Vinaigrette, Pickled Okras, Hush Puppies. $13.00

hmmm

sandwich special

poo
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Alligator is delicious

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    @Sal: i'm kind of falling in love with Jamie Oliver's cooking. so i'd say just about anything of his, although I will admit I don't have any of his cookbooks. yet.

As for vegan/vegetarian food. I have one vegan cookbook on my shelf. "How it all Vegan" and that's mainly because the author of said cookbook has the EXACT same name as I do. I've got a couple other vegetarian cookbooks, and they also happen to be Kosher vegetarian. One of them is a kosher vegetarian cookbook with recipes from around the world.

i like to cover my bases.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I could've had alligator a few months ago but the restaurant was pretty bad and we all got different entrees...I think my scallops were raw

In retrospect I'm happy I didn't get alligator there, first time I try it I want it to be properly prepared.

• Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    Thank you mully and lonelyahava! I think I'm going to go ahead and order that book now :)

xet8c.gif

• Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    mully wrote: »
    Sal wrote: »

T T T TRIPLE POST -- "How To Cook Everything". This is the only cookbook I recommend because it tells you how to make particular things, and then 50 ways to change em up with the same knowledge. It's a book you'll find yourself reading even when you aren't looking for recipes.

http://www.amazon.ca/How-Cook-Everything-Simple-Recipes/dp/0470398574

Yesss I second this! I have how to cook everything vegetarian and I love it.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Mixing up the first phase on the sourdough starter. I'm trying a natural yeast starter this time. The fun part is no knowing if it's working for a couple of days.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I made whole-wheat sandwich bread. Only without the whole-wheat part because we didn't have any whole-wheat flour. So I basically made white bread.

It's pretty good, though. The dough was way stickier than it should have been, which worried me, but it baked perfectly and rose nicely, so...

• Options
    i think my tiredness is making me more of a lightweight than normal, last night i had one glass of wine and was tipsy enough to come home and be like, hm i need a milkshake and a burger for dinner , tonight i had 2 glasses of prosecco and im def tipsy

but at dinner today
    i had like, smoked wild eel crostini, and split a baked branzino and some spinnach gnocchi, and had such good lemon cheesecake, mmm perfecto

oh i forgot, they gave us a little cup of mulled dessert wine too

hmm yes

poo
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I just made mac and cheese (cheddar/muenster) with caramelized onions (first time caramelizing onions, too!)

What a blessed combination.

• Options
    also i totally accidentally swallowed a tiny fish bone and i think it scratched my throat a bit but i think it's fine

poo
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i've got chicken thighs defrosting to be cooked in the oven tonight. I've got leftover corned beef. i've got some cans of tuna as well.

then we've got 2 bags of carrots, 4 english cucumbers, 2 heads of iceberg lettuce, 2 tomatoes, and some random capsicums.

gonna be making giant boxes of salads for my week of work.

we also plugged in our fridge which is out in the garage, so that i can start storing my ingredients in there as well as our lunches so that we stop taking up space in the main fridge.

also so that the mother in law will STOP EATING MY DAMNED VEGGIES!!!!

it's not cheap! we don't go grocery shopping for piles of veggies just so that she can use half of them in one meal. UGH hands off, lady!

• Options
    what happens when you talk to her about it

poo
  • Options
    she smiles, she nods, and she goes 'oh well you can have this instead!' and then offers me some random and strange thing that i don't know what it is. or offers me the leftovers of whatever she cooked. and i try to be gracious, but nothing she makes tastes like... well.... food. or at least edible food.

it's basically the same thing that happens when i ask her to not touch the ingredients because i'm on a strict food plan and I need to follow it. "oh that's so nice! but you already lose so much weight, you are looking better!" and then the next day whatever ingredient it was is gone! But to make up for it, here have some rice.

• Options
    fuk dat noise

poo
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    I hate vegans. and raw foodists. and vegetarians. and pescatarians. and people that are different.

it's a good thing I'm not self-rightous about food. I'd be fucking annoying. instead of just being right.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    fuk dat noise

hence the finally breaking down and cleaning out the fridge in the garage and basically telling her "now that i'm working, the fridge in the garage is going to be for my veggies and fruits and lunches and basically all of our food." She nodded and seemed to understand.

new thing. can't find our salad spinner. was a nice one too. hand a push button on the top plunger thing. I saw it when we moved in, while his mom and i were setting up the kitchen, She had one as well but we were going to use ours. So I put it in the drawer with all of the other plastic bowls and tupperware and things. Now, we go to look for it and oh wherever is it?

Nope. no idea. But we can use hers! it's better, you see, it has a grater attachment on it. that makes it better.

i can't wait to get my own goddamned kitchen again.

@Stale: you hate me too! because I don't eat pork! but that's ok. because I still <3 you.

This discussion has been closed.