Options

Pied [chat]

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    Anytime a series has to
    skip a bunch of years OUT OF NOWHERE and put the characters in wildly different situations than they were just minutes before of air time...

It's time to turn it off.

Which is what I did with BSG.

er,
    'a' year. iirc

and why is it a terrible idea? There's nothing inherently wrong with it.

I guess if you can't see how that's lazy/unfocused writing then we've got nothing to say. Since the writer have admitted they had literally no plan...

If you're referring to this specific case, then, yes, it wasn't handled well.

But that wasn't my question.

It sounds like you're saying no story should ever skip forward in time. That seems pretty short-sighted to me.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Meanwhile a lot of you guys thought the directors ending to "Dodgeball" was funny, and I was violently offended by it.

I did think that ending was hilarious, but I suspect that's probably entirely because it was presented as an alternate ending. If I'd watched the movie and it had just ended there, I would likely have been very irritated.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Shepard should have made things worse.
    Like he somehow breaks the Reapers, and they go forth and extinguish all organic life instead.

Thereby becoming what they were created to stop from happening.

And a bit of messing with "God's Plan" thrown in
    Keep me away from writing stories, I'm the worst.

I'm a fan of video games that let you be the bad guy.

It was intensely disappointing to discover you couldn't stay with UNATCO in Deus Ex.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I said "out of nowhere", Tamin. You are deliberately misreading what I wrote to be a blanket statement when it was not.

There is literally no foreshadowing or build up to what happens in that show. Plenty of other works I've enjoyed greatly have skipped forward in time or even backward and it's great. I'm reading one now actually. The difference is that they were well written, I guess.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    wazilla wrote: »
    Re: ME3 endings and why I don't buy indoctrination
    Once you start questioning the reality of events, there is no reason to stop. If you buy the existence of the entity, there is little reason not to buy its characterization, which in turn suggests that it has no reason to lie to you. It doesn't have a skin in the game aside from ideology, and I think the fact that it is willing to let you make a choice is reasonably convincing.

More concretely, the blue and green endings just don't make sense if indoctrination is true, as I mentioned before.

It's a nice idea but it isn't borne out by the actual mechanics of the ending.

I'm a little confused
    If shepherd is indoctrinated how do the blue and green endings not make sense? They are the trap choices.

I absolutely agree that indoctrination doesn't fit as a valid alternative ending btw

Because the events of those endings would not have occurred. If indoctrination were the case, it would be revealed that you have screwed it all up you goddamn sucker.
    plus Shepard is dead so it can't even be an illusion in his indoctrinated mind; we are seeing reality.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    @Regina Fong I see you choose the only correct ending to ME3. Good on ye. /nod nod

Indeed!

Not there yet, but I've already decided how it ends. The end is the bad part. I'm still looking forward to the parts of the game I've yet to do pre-shitty-ending-writing taking over.

But in response to EM:

It doesn't matter to me that blue/green don't "fit" with indoctrination because those choices are little more than unmeasurable sub-quantum noise.

They are options I didn't pick, because I picked the other one.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    on chris claremont:

nsfw: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/27783795/images/pu_Marada_37.jpg

the dialogue has a strong "claremont censored a bit off some rather personal fiction and then sent it to bolton to draw" whiff

well

that was nice and creepy

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    ME3 isn't so horrible. It just... ends. Lamely.

You still had your climactic battle.

Also if you pretend green doesn't exist, then the story is actually:
    Shepard shoots the Illusive Man, then blows the Reapers the fuck away after flipping the bird to the star kid.

Then in my headcanon, is picked up by Normandy after jumping off the exploding Citadel into space, only survives it just fine because fuck it, he survived the first time and now is even more cyborg.

I went red too
    Actually the conversation between my Shepard and littlestarshit would have gone:
    "Which one kills the Reapers?"
    "Well the red one does but..."
    "OK, thanks, got me some reapers to kill"
    "Wait! You should know that by doing so that..."
    "Reeeaaaaally don't care about anything else you have to say. You can shut up and go away now"
    "You don't understand! What you're about to do..."
    "I said shut the fuck up. This entire thing is dumb. All of it. But I came here to kill reapers, so I'm gonna kill reapers. Now go away you annoying little shit."

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I'm sure there can be situations where that abrupt out of nowhere change does something for the plot, but it's not here. George R.R. Martin wrestled mightily with planning to skip his book series forward 5 years and then decided he just couldn't. In my opinion, that's because he's a good writer and realized his error.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Today will be a day long remembered, it has seen the death of Rubio's political ambitions and will soon see the death of this bottle of scotch.

how bad was he? bad enough that i should go grab a drink and watch it?

Li-You know what, I'm not gonna spoil it. It's too beautiful.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I'm sure there can be situations where that abrupt out of nowhere change does something for the plot, but it's not here. George R.R. Martin wrestled mightily with planning to skip his book series forward 5 years and then decided he just couldn't. In my opinion, that's because he's a good writer and realized his error.

His publisher probably said 'Time skip?! Just write another book! Hah hah hah *serpent's tongue flicks out*"

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    on chris claremont:

nsfw: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/27783795/images/pu_Marada_37.jpg

the dialogue has a strong "claremont censored a bit off some rather personal fiction and then sent it to bolton to draw" whiff

well

that was nice and creepy

That's our Claremont!

• Options
    Sarksus wrote: »

His publisher probably said 'Time skip?! Just write another book! Hah hah hah *serpent's tongue flicks out*"

More like JESUS GEORGE PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WRITE ANOTHER BOOK IT'S BEEN SIX YEARS

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Once you start questioning the reality of events, there is no reason to stop. If you buy the existence of the entity, there is little reason not to buy its characterization, which in turn suggests that it has no reason to lie to you. It doesn't have a skin in the game aside from ideology, and I think the fact that it is willing to let you make a choice is reasonably convincing.

More concretely, the blue and green endings just don't make sense if indoctrination is true, as I mentioned before.

I'm a little confused
    If shepherd is indoctrinated how do the blue and green endings not make sense? They are the trap choices.

I absolutely agree that indoctrination doesn't fit as a valid alternative ending btw

Because the events of those endings would not have occurred. If indoctrination were the case, it would be revealed that you have screwed it all up you goddamn sucker.
    plus Shepard is dead so it can't even be an illusion in his indoctrinated mind; we are seeing reality.
    Well, I would imagine that once the choice is made there would be no reason to disintegrate Shepherd, but to fully indoctrinate him and remove his agency. Your position does make sense though.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Man, that sex face in panel 3. Weird.

What comic is that? I like the art and I like Conan type stuff.

• Options
    I'm going to laugh when GRRM's books get so long and so slow that one 900 page novel fills out half an episode of the show because it's 5 pages of internal monologue, 1/2 page of dialogue, 1/2 page of exposition, and 894 pages of detailed descriptions of heraldry.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    I'm going to laugh when GRRM's books get so long and so slow that one 900 page novel fills out half an episode of the show because it's 5 pages of internal monologue, 1/2 page of dialogue, 1/2 page of exposition, and 894 pages of detailed descriptions of heraldry food items (edit:) and sex and dongs.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    -ah

MentalExercise on
    "More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    I don't see why the disintegration/immolation has to be taken literally.

I think you are being too literal, EM.

I get what you are saying, "If you question this, it all unravels!" but really, no.

No it doesn't.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    ME3 isn't so horrible. It just... ends. Lamely.

You still had your climactic battle.

Also if you pretend green doesn't exist, then the story is actually:
    Shepard shoots the Illusive Man, then blows the Reapers the fuck away after flipping the bird to the star kid.

Then in my headcanon, is picked up by Normandy after jumping off the exploding Citadel into space, only survives it just fine because fuck it, he survived the first time and now is even more cyborg.

I went red too
    Actually the conversation between my Shepard and littlestarshit would have gone:
    "Which one kills the Reapers?"
    "Well the red one does but..."
    "OK, thanks, got me some reapers to kill"
    "Wait! You should know that by doing so that..."
    "Reeeaaaaally don't care about anything else you have to say. You can shut up and go away now"
    "You don't understand! What you're about to do..."
    "I said shut the fuck up. This entire thing is dumb. All of it. But I came here to kill reapers, so I'm gonna kill reapers. Now go away you annoying little shit."

I don't like fiction which depends on me actually listening to my enemies opinions. They're my enemies. As good adversaries I expect them to lie their ass off to me and try and confuse and delude with implications of grand importance to their evil works which I couldn't possibly comprehend.

And then Shepard sets off a large anti-matter explosion.

Damn I loved the ME2 ending sequence - that was an explosion which had gravitas.

• Options
    I'm still chuckling over being upset by that since the subtitle a TRUE underdog story does mean they are almost guaranteed to lose.

• Options
    Cambiata wrote: »
    @Regina Fong I see you choose the only correct ending to ME3. Good on ye. /nod nod

Indeed!

Not there yet, but I've already decided how it ends. The end is the bad part. I'm still looking forward to the parts of the game I've yet to do pre-shitty-ending-writing taking over.

But in response to EM:

It doesn't matter to me that blue/green don't "fit" with indoctrination because those choices are little more than unmeasurable sub-quantum noise.

They are options I didn't pick, because I picked the other one.

That's kind of a silly thing. The ending is going to be dumb no matter how hard you try to believe it isn't. Picking different endings doesn't alter the preceding events.

Dealwithit.gif

• Options
    I just want to be mad at ME3 since my readiness rating was 100% since i played all MP when it came out but by the time I beat it, my rating dropped back to 50%. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

• Options
    Endings are fucking hard.

I will give a pass (not a cookie, but a pass) for a lame or meandering ending as they struggle to reach their destination. Mark Twain, I forgive you for Huck Finn. You just didn't know how to end it. It's OK. You said what you needed to say on the river and it was beautiful and no one will ever forget it, even though they will be annoyed that the story goes on for 100 pages after that.

However.

I do not give passes for smirking, arch, "look at how bright my ideas are" endings when they are handled poorly and cleave against the narrative that has occurred to that point.

There is a reason I consider the BSG ending to be weak but acceptable even as most of you consider it high treason.

Meanwhile a lot of you guys thought the directors ending to "Dodgeball" was funny, and I was violently offended by it.

Wait. Why were you offended by the ending of dodgeball? Because their losing completely undercut the underdog theme?

Because it was a feature length film whose entire drama was just a set-up for a really stupid joke at the audience's expense.

Whereas the end of BSG was the writers having difficulties bringing a lengthy saga to a close after they had previously shot their load but then become committed to additional series episodes.

The first is a God damn hanging offense.

The second is a thing that just happens and it's not such a big deal.

• Options
    Listen, as long as that one guy and that sort of one girl got to bone, I'm happy.

• Options
    You really would have not enjoyed any of Dodgeball if it'd ended that way? You're not in the minority since it tested bad, but this seems like the same knee-jerk reaction against spoilers when they've been show to actually enhance enjoyment.

The journey, not the ending.

This is also why I quit BSG way before the ending.

• Options
    I said "out of nowhere", Tamin. You are deliberately misreading what I wrote to be a blanket statement when it was not.

There is literally no foreshadowing or build up to what happens in that show. Plenty of other works I've enjoyed greatly have skipped forward in time or even backward and it's great. I'm reading one now actually. The difference is that they were well written, I guess.

I am not misreading anything.

But, fine. You answered my question; you did not intend for it to a blanket statement. Thank you

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

I'm a little confused

If indoctrination theory is true, then
    the blue and green endings are hallucinations that Shepard is seeing during the final moments of succumbing to reaperization, rendering her compliant to the transformation to a completely cybernetic lifeform under reaper control

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Elki wrote: »
    I have comics to catch up on, but I don't want to. Someone give me a comic with a good backlog to jump in and start reading. Just one.

webcomics or real comics?

• Options
    You really would have not enjoyed any of Dodgeball if it'd ended that way? You're not in the minority since it tested bad, but this seems like the same knee-jerk reaction against spoilers when they've been show to actually enhance enjoyment.

I am not spoiler averse unless it ruins a legit reveal.

Like, spoiling the Sixth Sense is so wrong.

But if you spoiled Saving Private Ryan for me I would say that that doesn't cheapen the film for me at all.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    i talked to a bunch of mfa students and asked to see their novels tonight

i think like 1 or 2 are going to be okay

i feel so sad when someone came up to me and said 'hey uh so um i have a collection of short stories um so uh'

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I have comics to catch up on, but I don't want to. Someone give me a comic with a good backlog to jump in and start reading. Just one.

Fables! Planetary! Lucifer!

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

Webers. I got some Amazon money, but I want to spend it on some novels. Ben Fountain's new one, and many others.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options

I am not spoiler averse unless it ruins a legit reveal.

Like, spoiling the Sixth Sense is so wrong.

But if you spoiled Saving Private Ryan for me I would say that that doesn't cheapen the film for me at all.

Yeah, I agree with that. :)

• Options
    edited February 2013

Oddly, I was going to use him as an example of having a very loose chronology.

weeks pass between chapters, at least two chapters I can think of turn the clock back months while we catch up with what the character's been doing for all that time.

Tamin on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    I don't see why the disintegration/immolation has to be taken literally.

I think you are being too literal, EM.

I get what you are saying, "If you question this, it all unravels!" but really, no.

No it doesn't.
    There's some friction with the whole laser beam thing down on Earth though. If that's the moment when you supposedly went to lala land (if you picked the red ending) then what? You aren't on the space station so you can't kill the reapers. You are in a pile of rubble on Earth and nothing has happened outside of your head.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    @jacobkosh this is that marvel thing i messaged you a bit ago about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=790pXQwn5PY&feature=youtu.be

they aren't quite romance novels but they will both have romantic plots/subplots

• Options
    i talked to a bunch of mfa students and asked to see their novels tonight

i think like 1 or 2 are going to be okay

i feel so sad when someone came up to me and said 'hey uh so um i have a collection of short stories um so uh'

Every time you post about novels and how they're no good I feel like I'm going to throw up

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    I'm kinda surprised how long people have been burning up over the end of ME3. I feel like people had just picked it up last time I was here and that was maybe 6 months ago.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    but like any audience-crafted explanation for an in-work plot hole, indoctrination theory requires a certain disregard for occam's razor, presuming things to be narratively true without any reason for them to be so

which is why such audience theories sound suspiciously like conspiracy theories, because they're borne of similar thought processes

It's just in this case, an audience-crafted theory is adopted for its aesthetic appeal, not because the theorist believes it is true in an empirical sense

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
This discussion has been closed.