As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fire Emblem Fates: Shipping Spreadsheet Edition

StiltsStilts Registered User regular
edited February 2016 in Social Entropy++
4GW0byW.jpg

Hey, remember Fire Emblem: Awakening? That game where we paired up couples and then told everybody else how totally wrong and stupid their different pairings were? It's time to do all that again!

But wait! This time there are multiple games in one. For those people who complained that Awakening was an easy baby game for dumb babies, you can buy Conquest for the classic "realize you're hopelessly fucked 10 chapters in" Fire Emblem experience. But if you, like me, are a dumb baby who likes easy baby games, you can pick Birthright and grind EXP and money to your heart's content. Or you can buy both! Or...all three, I guess? Look, man, this is complicated. Can someone give me a handy chart to explain what the hell is even going on with this thing?

5az4kl4n69zk.png

Sweet, thanks.

And, like before, here's a handy guide to pairing characters from world-famous musical artist Huey Lewis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkAVfsw5xSQ

IKknkhU.gif
Stilts on

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Vaike is the best character just fyi everyone

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    FEMALE PROTAG X LON'QU OTP

CHROM X SUMIA

STAHL X CORDELLIA

uh I don't really have anyone else lined up to Marry so I'unno?

can anyone CONFIRM if Anna can marry male protag? I'ma probably go for that marriage next time through.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Huntera wrote: »
    FEMALE PROTAG X LON'QU OTP

CHROM X SUMIA

STAHL X CORDELLIA

uh I don't really have anyone else lined up to Marry so I'unno?

can anyone CONFIRM if Anna can marry male protag? I'ma probably go for that marriage next time through.

According to the mechanics guide, the avatar can marry any character of the opposite gender.

IKknkhU.gif
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I think the mechanic where you get to create your own custom unit sounds really cool. This is the one that has that, right?

I heard someone was making a Fire Emblem/SMT crossover game. I just remember thinking "man what". If there's one thing I want in a game with auto-saved permadeath it's hours of meticulous character breeding

Edit: also holy fuck Huey Lewis is white?

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I keep pairing characters and getting them up to S Rank despite them not being such a great pairing for combat

sorry lon-qu and panne, now you're married I guess?

Can you still get other people up to S Rank after they're married to somebody else

6F32U1X.png
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I think the mechanic where you get to create your own custom unit sounds really cool. This is the one that has that, right?

I heard someone was making a Fire Emblem/SMT crossover game. I just remember thinking "man what". If there's one thing I want in a game with auto-saved permadeath it's hours of meticulous character breeding

Yes, you can create your own character in Awakening

You can also turn permadeath off in this one, and the game doesn't autosave anyway.

Not sure how they're gonna do the FE/SMT crossover, but it probably won't have the marriage mechanics.

Edit: also holy fuck Huey Lewis is white?

Did...did you really not know that?

IKknkhU.gif
    I've done Lon'qu x Sully and Gregor x Nowi so far

working on Chrom x Cordelia right now and Lissa x M Avatar

edited February 2013
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I keep pairing characters and getting them up to S Rank despite them not being such a great pairing for combat

sorry lon-qu and panne, now you're married I guess?

Can you still get other people up to S Rank after they're married to somebody else

S Rank is exclusive to married couples.

The highest you can get with anyone else is A rank.

EDIT: The only exception is that parents can have S Ranks with their kids.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
    Chrom X Sumia
    Frederick X Lissa
    Kellam X Sully

That's what I've got right now, I'm only on Chapter 7

6F32U1X.png
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    So Wikipedia has the PAL release at April 19. That's still a month two months away, damn it.

PaperLuigi44 on
    Also I don't think I understand the difference between Master Seals and Second Seals and why you CAN upgrade people's classes at Level 10 but you shouldn't and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

6F32U1X.png
    Also I don't think I understand the difference between Master Seals and Second Seals and why you CAN upgrade people's classes at Level 10 but you shouldn't and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

ok so a second seal changes your base class to another base class that's available to that character

so you can make a thief into a myrmidon or something like that, it's a side grade rather than an upgrade and you lose some stats during the change but gain others

a master seal promotes a character, ie a thief into a rogue or an assassin, which raises stat caps and resets their level to 1 without losing any stats, and you also gain class specific stats

you want to upgrade either way at level 20 to maximize the amount of levels you get, which increases the number of stats you have

if you upgrade someone at level 10 rather than level 20, that's 10 levels you miss out on and can't make up later

edited February 2013

I'm not a mechanics master yet, but I think I can help a little bit.

Second Seals allow you to change to a different "base" class. So you can change Miriel from a Mage to a Troubadour.

Master Seals allow you to change to an upgraded class. In this case, Miriel could change from a Mage into Dark Knight. This class listing might help you understand the difference.

As for why you wouldn't change class immediately upon reaching level 10, I believe it's because the only level cap that exists is on your class. So if you wanted to, you could keep leveling as a Mage until you reached the cap and gain more stat increases. Then when you promote, you'd start from level 1 as a Dark Knight but still keep all the stat gains you got from maxing out the Mage. You'd be objectively more powerful than a level 1 Dark Knight who changed at level 10 of Mage.

Though whether or not that's worth it depends on how much grinding you're willing to tolerate.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Guys Avatar X Sully is the best.

Bonding over mutual bodily malfunctions and poison dietary supplements.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    So Wikipedia has the PAL release at April 19. That's still a month away, damn it.
    Two months away.

I'm sorry.

YL9WnCY.png
    The Betman wrote: »

ok so a second seal changes your base class to another base class that's available to that character

so you can make a thief into a myrmidon or something like that, it's a side grade rather than an upgrade and you lose some stats during the change but gain others

a master seal promotes a character, ie a thief into a rogue or an assassin, which raises stat caps and resets their level to 1 without losing any stats, and you also gain class specific stats

you want to upgrade either way at level 20 to maximize the amount of levels you get, which increases the number of stats you have

if you upgrade someone at level 10 rather than level 20, that's 10 levels you miss out on and can't make up later

But if you Master Seal at Level 20, don't you skip the class they would've gone to at Level 10 and then you miss out on the two skills they would have learned?

I've got Chrom and Donnel at 10, and Kellam at 12 right now

fuck this game is so good but so dense

6F32U1X.png
    Stilts wrote: »

Second Seals allow you to change to a different "base" class. So you can change Miriel from a Mage to a Troubadour.

Master Seals allow you to change to an upgraded class. In this case, Miriel could change from a Mage into Dark Knight. This class listing might help you understand the difference.

As for why you wouldn't change class immediately upon reaching level 10, I believe it's because the only level cap that exists is on your class. So if you wanted to, you could keep leveling as a Mage until you reached the cap and gain more stat increases. Then when you promote, you'd start from level 1 as a Dark Knight but still keep all the stat gains you got from maxing out the Mage. You'd be objectively more powerful than a level 1 Dark Knight who changed at level 10 of Mage.

Though whether or not that's worth it depends on how much grinding you're willing to tolerate.

And upgrading at level 10 doesn't really make them useless either, I did that to Sully and she's holding her own just fine (admittedly I haven't gotten anyone else to 20 for their master classes but Chrom is close so weee)

But if you Master Seal at Level 20, don't you skip the class they would've gone to at Level 10 and then you miss out on the two skills they would have learned?

I've got Chrom and Donnel at 10, and Kellam at 12 right now

fuck this game is so good but so dense

No.

Regardless of what level you are in your base class when you use a master seal, you start the upgraded class at level 1.

IKknkhU.gif
    This game manages to hit two parts of my brain at the exact same time

The part that goes "THIS IS SO GODDAMN GOOD" and the part that goes "THIS IS SO MUCH SHIT TO DEAL WITH JESUS CHRIST"

6F32U1X.png
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    So Wikipedia has the PAL release at April 19. That's still a month away, damn it.
    Two months away.

I'm sorry.

Blurgh of course, brain no work good in the morning.

Also, it should be noted that Frederick starts as a Promoted Class (the Great Knight).

So you can't use a Master Seal on him.

But you could use a Second Seal to start him on a new base class if you wanted him to ride a wyvern instead of a horse.

IKknkhU.gif
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    When you figure out a puzzle it feels so good. I'm playing Hard and am at the side-mission to rescue a town being guarded by a merchant. it's not fair.
    I ship Vaike x Sully and Chrom x Lon'Qu.

4484-7718-8470
    Campion wrote: »
    When you figure out a puzzle it feels so good. I'm playing Hard and am at the side-mission to rescue a town being guarded by a merchant. it's not fair.
    I ship Vaike x Sully and Chrom x Lon'Qu.

That mission's pretty tricky even on Normal.

You get a pretty sweet healing staff if you visit the village before the bandits get there, though.

IKknkhU.gif
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I ship Hector x Lyndis

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
    Yeah, haha, I got that far and then she decided that on her turn she'd attack someone while at 4hp.

4484-7718-8470
    edited February 2013
    The merchant died for me on that paralogue and then showed up after the mission was over and thanked me for helping her, so i dont know that you NEED to save her

The Betgirl on
  • Up JobUp Job Registered User regular
    I don't know if it's been mentioned, but if you use a second seal on a level 10+ advanced class or 20+ special class you can jump straight into an advanced class instead of base.

Also as far as marrying
    does anyone know what happens if a future kid marries a present person? Could it trigger another future kid?

also Donnel x everyone

• MelokuMeloku Ask me about my Illusions Registered User regular
    edited February 2013

It's probably notable that using a second seal drops you down to level 1 of whatever class you change to but keeps your stats, and second seals can also be purchased after a certain point, the benefits you get from delaying use of a master seal after 10 are only the fact that promoted classes earn significantly less experience. However, due to how the skill system works in Awakening, using a Second Seal after you reach level 10 in a base class or level 15 in a promoted class is generally advisable, unless you already have all of the skills you want and you're really in your current class for the stat caps. You've got a lot more flexibility in upgrade paths and class changes than in earlier games, which is pretty nice.

e. As to the post above me, the only way you get
    any of the future kids to have children is by marrying them to the Avatar, and you only ever get Morgan, and Morgan's stat caps are lower than they would be if you married into the first generation (Reading, especially in the Inheritance section, if you're interested).

Meloku on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Man there seems to be so much secret stuff in this game but I do not want to just go read a faq.

But I also dont want to miss rad stuff

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    Can you keep playing this after you finish all the main missions? Is there any real reason to?

6F32U1X.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Can you keep playing this after you finish all the main missions? Is there any real reason to?

Yes. Basically, you can't save after the final mission so your last save is right before it.

As for there being a reason to. Outside of DLC, Spotpass stuff, and messing around with your characters and their supports more, not really.

Dragkonias on
    The merchant died for me on that paralogue and then showed up after the mission was over and thanked me for helping her, so i dont know that you NEED to save her
    That is because
    She has Nurse Joy syndrome in that there are scores of merchants named Anna. She literally mentions having a ton of identical twin sisters with the same name. The one you save is a totally different character.

YL9WnCY.png
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    That is because
    She has Nurse Joy syndrome in that there are scores of merchants named Anna. She literally mentions having a ton of identical twin sisters with the same name. The one you save is a totally different character.
    oh, that's a thing

okay then!

edited February 2013
    Eugenics & You: A Crash Course on Gaming Relationships for the Unfeeling

Fire Emblem lets you influence the parentage of offspring, making potentially powerful characters as a result. I'll try to explain this without spoilers, but there is one I feel inclined to mention so you don't feel hoodwinked. It's nothing major.

1) Kids come from parents who have S Ranks with each other. A character is limited to one S Rank, and you cannot "undo" S Ranks. There are no same-sex S Ranks (yeah, I know). Only My Unit (henceforth Avatar) can S Rank with all members of the opposite sex, so check a player's support page to see whom they are eligible to S Rank with.

2) Kids are tied to the mother, with two exceptions: Chrom and Avatar. For example: Sully will always give birth to the same character regardless of the father.

Chrom is the first exception: at the end of Chapter 11, assuming he is not already at S Rank, he will marry the character with the highest rank possible (there is a hierarchy in the event of ties). If he has NO supports with any eligible woman, then he will marry a generic villager NPC. This is a Bad Thing because it means his child will lack a mother for the gameplayer purposes. And, you know, it's kinda boring from a story standpoint.

Avatar is the other exception: you will always be capable of having a child regardless of sex. The child will always be the opposite sex of Avatar, so you're not going to "miss out" on a kid by playing a male Avatar.

Because of the way this works, it is possible for Chrom and Avatar to have kids related to other kids. Chrom's wife will still have her own kid, which will be the sibling of Chrom's kid. Same for male Avatar and his wife. The female Avatar can marry Chrom and their kids will be siblings. From a gameplay perspective, siblings allow for a set of supports up to A Rank which is nice.

3) To get a kid, you have to complete his or her paralogue (you will know when these unlock). In many cases, the mother must be in your party to speak with her child, and the game will NOT force that mother in your party, so read up if you aren't sure.

4) Kids inherit stats and growths from the parents. They also gain a skill from each parent, and it's always the last skill of each parent (you can alter the order of your parents' skills to game this). Chrom is a special case, and will pass on Aether to his daughters and Rightful King to his sons (even if he himself doesn't know those skills). Also, kids can inherit skills from classes that aren't available to his or her sex. Starting class is normally set in stone, but Morgan's starting class is dependent on the father.

5) Reclassing for kids depends on the father. As Avatar, your kid is golden and can basically be anything within his or her sex (even Tactician). Although some classes like Manakete require a parent of that class. Chrom can pass on Lord to children, which is just keen. All other kids have a general pool of base classes and reclassing that varies on the father.

6) Kids can S Rank, but there's no "third generation" and they're mostly within the kid characters. The one exception is Avatar, who I guess is a bit of a creeper and can S Rank with any kid character of opposite sex. You will still have your kid character, but obviously there is no kid from the wife if you are a male Avatar. For this reason, it's debatable if it's worth bothering since, as a male Avatar, you miss out on two Avatar kids. As a female Avatar it's not as big a deal, but you miss out on hot Chrom action. It's also kinda...weird. Also, this should be obvious, but siblings will lose any possible S Ranks and, for Chrom and Lissa, their respective kids are cousins and also lose any S Ranks (this also counts for a male Avatar's kid if he marries Lissa).

7) The DLC/Spotpass "Legacy" characters have no supports at all: they're just spirits or some thin excuse. You cannot hook up with Lyn or hit on Hector.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    I am going to give in and buy this game on the eShop next week.

Usually I'd be down for it cause I love Steam, Comixology and iTunes but Nintendo not keeping up with the present really rubs me the wrong way.

On the other hand I'll probably never replace my 3DS XL and fuck carrying all these little game cartridges everywhere!

steam_sig.png
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    is this the one with marth

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    edited February 2013
    is this the one with marth

Yes.

Story spoilers:
    seriously, spoilers.
    also no

Huntera on
    Fire Emblem from the eShop is great. It's the best. I want all my games to be digital, I wish I bought my other 3DS games digitally, and wish I could digitize my DS games. I've got a box sitting next to me filled with probably 30 or so DS games just waiting to get invited to the new generation.

4484-7718-8470
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I am finally attacking chapter 11

6 couples S ranked, 7 or 88 characters sitting at 20

This discussion has been closed.