As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Five Easy [chat]s

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    I think, for every racist joke Lud tells, I will say something about his wife.

Sounds like something a Turk would do

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I almost bought beer today

But calories

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

It is on!

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

From all of the descriptions I've seen of her, she seems like a nice person. No reason to say something hurtful about her.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    At this point if M. Night Shyamalan wants to write a twist ending that would surprise me then he'd be best off just not writing a twist into the script.

I kind of assume he starts with the twist ending, then moves on to the author insertion character, then shits out the rest over a day or two.

Signs makes me so angry. So angry. He could have done something good there. Perhaps a bit overly thick on the emotion but still a satisfying movie but the twist is so fucking retarded that I want Zombie Phillip K. Dick to rise from his grave and bitch slap M. Night until he understands how to do a proper twist ending.

It's seems like going to a place where 70% of its surface area will kill you is a bit stupid.

The sequel should have a lone human on their ship, hunting them.

With a squirt gun.

I was going more for a acid for blood = Alien reference.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

you should see the things your wife did for not a whole lot of money last night

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Ludious: "Eskimos."
    Vanguard: "Ludious' wife cooks decent Tex Mex."

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    At this point if M. Night Shyamalan wants to write a twist ending that would surprise me then he'd be best off just not writing a twist into the script.

I kind of assume he starts with the twist ending, then moves on to the author insertion character, then shits out the rest over a day or two.

Signs makes me so angry. So angry. He could have done something good there. Perhaps a bit overly thick on the emotion but still a satisfying movie but the twist is so fucking retarded that I want Zombie Phillip K. Dick to rise from his grave and bitch slap M. Night until he understands how to do a proper twist ending.

It's seems like going to a place where 70% of its surface area will kill you is a bit stupid.

With a squirt gun.

laughing maniacally all the while.

Because damn, I would.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    the achewood animation does not look good, unfortunately.

I will only watch if Phillipe is voiced by Morgan Freeman.

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Also our young bursts out of cavities in a shower of blood.

...I might not know a lot about child birth.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options

you should see the things your wife did for not a whole lot of money last night

translation: ludious' wife is very generous.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    So what do you guys think makes a good gaming stream? Personally, I usually find them boring, but sometimes my narcissistic side kicks in and...

well, anyway, back to the question at hand. Obviously I've heard "good commentary" is necessary, which makes sense. But what is good commentary? Is it deep analysis of the mechanics at play? For that matter, should the streamer already have deep knowledge of the game itself?

Or is it more like a showey sort of thing? Should there be lots of jokes, or are those just annoying?

You mean for a let's play or the like? Or just a show about gaming?

Definitely more along the lines of a let's play.

the key is to talk really really fast

100% guaranteed or your money back

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    we actually are pretty hardcore. Oxygen is crazy destructive and we breathe that shit.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    And I'm sure you could make a facehugger = oral reference.

Okay, I'll stop now.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

One of the later Saw movies actually did this

Summon Phillip K. Dick back from the dead so he can punish M. Night Shyamalan? Because that seems like an odd direction for the series.

Ended without a tweest

Given the twists are the draw of the series to some folks, it was surprising to say the least.

It was good looking too, as Saw movies go - no flash cuts or shakey cam, the traps were all fairly tame in comparison, and the victims were intelligent folks who thought things through before flipping out and pulling a pin on a 60 second timer.

But no tweest so it's the worst of the series, obviously.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2013
    So what do you guys think makes a good gaming stream? Personally, I usually find them boring, but sometimes my narcissistic side kicks in and...

well, anyway, back to the question at hand. Obviously I've heard "good commentary" is necessary, which makes sense. But what is good commentary? Is it deep analysis of the mechanics at play? For that matter, should the streamer already have deep knowledge of the game itself?

Or is it more like a showey sort of thing? Should there be lots of jokes, or are those just annoying?

I dunno. I find most of them pretty boring. Not just trusting to the natural wit of the commentator and preparing a bunch of interesting shit to say beforehand would set you above like 90% of the competition. I could also do without herp derping in the MST3K fashion because god that's tedious.

I don't think I'm your target demographic, though.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

that ain't cool

and neither is racism

Then use your report button instead of adding to the problem.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Also our young bursts out of cavities in a shower of blood.

...I might not know a lot about child birth.

can confirm this is how it goes down

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    And I'm sure you could make a facehugger = oral reference.

Okay, I'll stop now.

The movie prometheus is dicks all the way down

• Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    we actually are pretty hardcore. Oxygen is crazy destructive and we breathe that shit.

oh the siren song of exposed electron pairs

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Just a guy talking over a game seems kinda boring, even when done well.

I say it works better with two people. No 'dead air' and one can play of the other.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    That Lestrade's boss was unaware of the depth of Sherlock's involvement in crime solving in London is a bit much given the opening scenes of people saying how instrumental Sherlock was to solving crimes.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    I'm getting a bit annoyed at people that proclaim to not be knowledgeable about X, pride themselves in their disinterest in X and still try to discuss the qualities (or lack there of to be more precise) of X and make suggestions about these "dumb" or "archaic" designs.

Currently the thread for todays comic but it is a pretty general thing that crops up with just about anything that reaches the status of popular.

• Options
    bogart u r not my target audience

u r 2 white and male

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

that ain't cool

and neither is racism

I've hit backspace on this post a lot. Not because I've wanted to be nasty or anything. Quite the opposite. If I've offended you deeply, I apologize, but at the same time, I have kind of gotten to the point where I feel like people get me a bit better than this. Perhaps if you were someone unfamiliar with me, I'd be beside myself with regret. But, I don't know man. Seems kind of funny to go from 0-60 on me.

But you do you and I'll do me.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

With a squirt gun.

I was going more for a acid for blood = Alien reference.

I thought of that but the sheer comedy value of him with a squirt gun to an alien's head going:

" I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six ounces or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a super cheap squirt gun, perhaps the cheapest in the world, and would melt your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

Especially if it's one of those dollar store squirt guns.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    There are so many problems with the religious shit in Signs.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

that ain't cool

and neither is racism

fair point

@Ludious I will not talk about your wife, but I will report you for petty racism

• Options

I dunno. I find most of them pretty boring. Not just trusting to the natural wit of the commentator and preparing a bunch of interesting shit to say beforehand would set you above like 90% of the competition. I could also do without herp derping in the MST3K fashion because god that's tedious.

I don't think I'm your target demographic, though.

I think for the most part we feel the same way about it, which is why I'm so clueless about what makes a good one. I tried watching those Yogs guys take on some games, and it was just like.. damn, you fuckers are shrill. And they're the popular guys so...

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    That Lestrade's boss was unaware of the depth of Sherlock's involvement in crime solving in London is a bit much given the opening scenes of people saying how instrumental Sherlock was to solving crimes.

Upper Management, amirite?

So out of touch.

They don't know what it's like down here.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    When the first microorganism evolved to produce O2 as a biproduct if its respiration, it killed off all the other life on primordial Earth.

Everything that came along after that is less "hardcore" and more "what you get when you don't allow for anything else".

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

u r 2 white and male

I am pretty white. I have a lot of Billy Joel CDs.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

I would watch/play a movie/game that reverses genres like this so hard.

You're an alien and have come across a ship that's been ravaged, and human death squads come in to hunt you. Because fuck you, aliens.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    No one specific thing is necessary to make a let's play good, but if you're focusing on good commentary, I think there are ideal forms of commentary that you could either aim towards or synthesize together

You could be really, really good at video games and be relatively taciturn, speaking only when necessary. You could be funny and talkative and just enjoy the heck out of whatever you're doing. You could just flat out be knowledgeable and informative, showing off easter eggs and explaining various themes etc etc

IMO the best mix of commentary styles is the second and third. You don't want to be too weirdly enthusiastic like Nintendo Capri Sun and lisp all over the mic in a weird attempt to ingratiate yourself to the audience, but you don't also want to sound like a robot that's read one too many strategy guides

*kisses the feet of day9*

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options

u r 2 white and male

this one time i caught you huffing mayonnaise mixed with cocaine

how do you plead

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

that ain't cool

and neither is racism

fair point

@Ludious I will not talk about your wife, but I will report you for petty racism

Is racism infractable here? I don't think I've ever seen anything but the most egregious examples enforced, at least.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    gaming streams have 0 utility to me but I would welcome more discussion and critical commentary and like aesthetic appreciation and shit

like if RPS had a youtube channel

• Options

u r 2 white and male

In the liberal dystopic future the punishment for this will be 9,000 hereditary years of indentured servitude to a brown person.

Per CD.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I loved SimBen's LP of Chrono Trigger.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

u r 2 white and male

this one time i caught you huffing mayonnaise mixed with cocaine

how do you plead

I thought Billy Joel was just a Long Island / New Jersey thing. I did not know he had international appeal.

This discussion has been closed.