As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Michigan Politics: Dem Trifecta!!!

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Summer school for all my kids. This'll be fine.

Any online work won't count for kids.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    "He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Well this is just great.
    Michigan, the site of one of the country's fastest growing outbreaks, has found itself unable to get an adequate supply of personal protective equipment, with lawmakers telling CNN that Gov. Gretchen Whitmer had placed an order only to be told by the company later the federal government had placed an order that would take priority.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    How are Flint and Holland faring with covid?

• Options
    West side of the state seems to be ramping up which isn’t good.

The amusing thing is Meijer is pushing travel sized everything on their endcaps.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Kent County only had five new cases, for a total of 60 or so. That's Grand Rapids.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    LowHitPointsLowHitPoints Sword of the Afternoon MichiganRegistered User regular
    Ottawa County (Holland, Zeeland, Hudsonville) have been seeing about 2 new cases a day, currently at 18. Stores are generally stocked, minus TP. Most large employers here have been taking this very seriously. I was 100% WFH as of March 13th.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Southwest is seeing Berrien County (extreme SW Michigan) blow up- but it's only a matter of time before Kalamazoo (Kalamazoo/Portage) and Calhoun (Battle Creek) Counties really start cracking.

Groceries have been hit or miss around me- we got some stuff a week ago, but we're trying for more frozen and meat this time.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Well this is just great.
    Michigan, the site of one of the country's fastest growing outbreaks, has found itself unable to get an adequate supply of personal protective equipment, with lawmakers telling CNN that Gov. Gretchen Whitmer had placed an order only to be told by the company later the federal government had placed an order that would take priority.

This has happened a few times, but I never hear what the Federal Government is DOING with all the PPE they outbid States on. Sitting on a Dragon Hoard?

• Options
    Whitmer says it's "very unlikely" that Michigan K-12 schools re-open this school year.

• Options
    Supply issues for Michigan from the feds, supposedly due to the fact that Trump went off on Whitmer.
    Trump said of Whitmer, "She is a new governor, and it's not been pleasant ... "We've had a big problem with the young — a woman governor. You know who I'm talking about — from Michigan. We don't like to see the complaints."

Michigan's request for disaster assistance has not yet been approved by the White House, and Trump told Hannity he's still weighing it.

"She doesn't get it done, and we send her a lot. Now, she wants a declaration of emergency, and, you know, we'll have to make a decision on that. But Michigan is a very important state. I love the people of Michigan."

• Options
    LowHitPointsLowHitPoints Sword of the Afternoon MichiganRegistered User regular
    After a one hour delay, today's numbers are up. 3657 cases with 92 deaths. 801 case increase since yesterday with 32 deaths. I triple checked the math because I did not believe it.

• Options
    Supply issues for Michigan from the feds, supposedly due to the fact that Trump went off on Whitmer.
    Trump said of Whitmer, "She is a new governor, and it's not been pleasant ... "We've had a big problem with the young — a woman governor. You know who I'm talking about — from Michigan. We don't like to see the complaints."

Michigan's request for disaster assistance has not yet been approved by the White House, and Trump told Hannity he's still weighing it.

"She doesn't get it done, and we send her a lot. Now, she wants a declaration of emergency, and, you know, we'll have to make a decision on that. But Michigan is a very important state. I love the people of Michigan."

OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE. "I only beat you to show you how much I love you." is the translation of that bolded.

People are fucking dying, and he's just holding the promise of federal aid over us like a fucking toy because Whitmer (the best governor in the whole damned country) hurt his fee-fees on television, so now he's got to swing his tiny dick around and try to look all dominant and manly again.

We're just fucking tools to him. He wants to make his point, but we're going to die because he feels oh so slighted a woman stood up to him, so this is the only way he thinks he can look like a big, strong manly man again. By threatening a woman.

Gods. We're all going to die because of hurt fee-fees. What a way to go.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    JaysonFour wrote: »

OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE. "I only beat you to show you how much I love you." is the translation of that bolded.

People are fucking dying, and he's just holding the promise of federal aid over us like a fucking toy because Whitmer (the best governor in the whole damned country
    ) hurt his fee-fees on television, so now he's got to swing his tiny dick around and try to look all dominant and manly again.

We're just fucking tools to him. He wants to make his point, but we're going to die because he feels oh so slighted a woman stood up to him, so this is the only way he thinks he can look like a big, strong manly man again. By threatening a woman.

Gods. We're all going to die because of hurt fee-fees. What a way to go.

I wouldn't go that far:

She absolutely blew it with backing down from the shutdown. State workers were chomping at the bit to go home, and to get a comprehensive road plan passed -- we had every indication she was going to -- and she gave up at the 11th hour with nothing to show for it. She has no legislative lever to pull, that was her only leverage.

As damage accelerates the expense of repairing them doesn't scale linearly. I understand the tax was intensely unpopular- do it anyways, it needs to be done.

Then, she used the State Administrative Board reallocation to punish red districts, which ultimately just hurts low income people living in those, since there was never enough money to actually fund new projects.

I'm pleased with how she's been handling COVID-19 but honestly I'm not really seeing a lot else.

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    She's standing up to Trumpy the Clown. I'll take what I can get.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Well this is just great.

With what we've seen happen today, I think we're seeing what Donnie's doing with all that fresh emergency gear the government's buying: he wants to hand it out to those states who come crawling up on hands and knees to kiss his feet and give him the sloppy publicity BJ he desires and punish those states (like Michigan) who have governors who dared speak poorly of him.

So it's going to be a cold day in Hell, MI if we ever see another mask or gown or dollar of federal aid.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ottawa County (Holland, Zeeland, Hudsonville) have been seeing about 2 new cases a day, currently at 18. Stores are generally stocked, minus TP. Most large employers here have been taking this very seriously. I was 100% WFH as of March 13th.

21 cases now in Ottawa county.

https://www.miottawa.org/Health/OCHD/coronavirus.htm?fbclid=IwAR0mRDqSot3eGPUVmUy-KcZHCDvhQw0hEwdonWIlN32payuxsehIaLmmwgE

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Tri-cities got swept for shutdown enforcement Friday and Saturday. Several bars lost their liquor licenses, and a couple stores that reopened Saturday after getting hit Friday had their business license pulled. I'd previously said the shutdown felt like a failure out of the gate because of just how much it was being ignored in Saginaw and Bay, but now it's actually being taken seriously.

There's an ongoing dispute about several retail categories - a change in the verbage between the first and second orders dropped hardware and auto parts from the list, with retailers who support critical infrastructure being told to go to minimum operations to serve the infrastructure and not the general public.

Judging by who's shut down and not police are currently hitting places that were unambiguously closed under both.

Hevach on
  • Options
    April 9 and 10 are being projected as the peak in Michigan now.

https://www.woodtv.com/health/coronavirus/ihme-forecast-mi-covid-19-pandemic-to-peak-april-9-10/

• Options
    Whitmer is going to close schools through the end of the school year.

Important notes: kids will advance a grade/graduate if schools decide they were in good standing.
    Teachers will be paid.
    Juniors will still get their free shot at the SAT in the fall.
    Third grade reading law not enforced this year.
    Some sort of learning is to be provided. What that looks like and if it is mandatory for students to do is up to the district.

• Options

Important notes: kids will advance a grade/graduate if schools decide they were in good standing.
    Teachers will be paid.
    Some sort of learning is to be provided. What that looks like and if it is mandatory for students to do is up to the district.

What sort of curriculum adjustments will there be next year

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Teachers will be paid.

What sort of curriculum adjustments will there be next year

Yeah, it's not just that kids miss out on tests. This is, at least on quick perusal, ~10 weeks missing (ex, Flint is in session from April 10th through June 18th). Given there's ~40 weeks in a school year, that's 1/4 of their learning time, just gone.

For successful students with good support networks and tutors, that's not gonna matter shit. For kids struggling at their grade level, it's going to require either a lowering of the standards next year too, or it's going to mean even more difficulty and worse grades.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Yeah, none of us have any idea yet. My math teacher group text is getting kind of obnoxious.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I kinda figured they’d push it until the end of April, and then another 2-3 weeks at a time if needed.

But I know the numbers here don’t look good, and I assume they’re setting things that the public are not.

• Options
    Growth rate is a little better (< 20% ) the last two days, but exponential growth is a bastard.

• Options
    I have no idea how next year would work then. I have a kid in jr high and math isn’t his thing so that is going to be rough.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    I have no idea how next year would work then. I have a kid in jr high and math isn’t his thing so that is going to be rough.

Have Donald Duck tutor him on mathemagicland?

• Options
    moniker wrote: »

Have Donald Duck tutor him on mathemagicland?

I used to think this was going to make me a pool shark

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Whitmer's on Biden's shortlist for VP. Not a surprise since he said he'd nominate a woman.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    Whitmer's on Biden's shortlist for VP. Not a surprise since he said he'd nominate a woman.

And while it's arguable how much VPs deliver their home state, Michigan is critical for Trump's reelection.

Double white ticket isn't the best for optics though.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

While it'd look to be a gain for the nation (and would seemingly guarantee winning the state), what kind of hole would that put Michigan in?

She seems to be a competent executive, if she's pulled from office, how deep is the bench behind her?

• Options
    MorganV wrote: »

While it'd look to be a gain for the nation (and would seemingly guarantee winning the state), what kind of hole would that put Michigan in?

She seems to be a competent executive, if she's pulled from office, how deep is the bench behind her?

The lieutenant governor is a very young (37) guy without a ton of government experience. He'd take over as our first black governor. I still like Abdul El-Sayed who is also super young (in my graduating class at Michigan!) a lot but sometimes he teeters on the edge of burn it down progressivism rather than what I will call AOC progressivism. Hopefully he leans back the other way. He's been pretty visible over the last couple months since his background is in public health.

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular

Teachers will be paid.

After this was reported she has said in an interview that she isn't sure yet whether they'll be closing. Expected to announce one way or the other on Thursday.

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2020/03/gov-whitmer-to-announce-thursday-whether-shell-re-open-michigan-schools-closed-for-coronavirus.html

Based on some other states and the general outlook I've been assuming this would happen, but it's definitely a tough position to be in. The situation right now isn't great. Even district to district in the same ISD there's a lot of variation in how schools are handling continued instruction. Our school gave us very little initially. Basically every kid had some worksheets printed out to take home, and we had their logins to a number of online resources they use. That was for the first two weeks, then this week was supposed to be our spring break anyway. I'm hoping they are going to have some more concrete plans after this week but who knows. I think if the shutdown proceeded on a week to week basis (or reevaluated every two weeks or whatever) a lot of schools might just keep trying to limp along without any long term plans, always assuming they'll be back in a couple weeks.

Ideally there needs to be some statewide coordinated guidelines for continued instruction if they're going to be down the rest of the year, but I just don't know how they'd even manage that.

• Options
    The digital divide makes that impossible. Acting as if say, Saline and Detroit kids have the same access to online learning is ridiculous. So it can't be a statewide mandate.

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    The digital divide makes that impossible. Acting as if say, Saline and Detroit kids have the same access to online learning is ridiculous. So it can't be a statewide mandate.

That's why I said coordinated guidelines, rather than mandate. But if some schools are going to do pretty much nothing for the rest of the year and some schools are going to continue on with virtual classwork nearly as usual, that's not going to be great either. Make sure every student has a tablet/computer with resources provided for it for offline use -- though admittedly that's going to be slim pickings since practically everything operates online these days, printed packets with work, projects, etc at the grade level. No solution is going to be able to actually make up for missing several months of school, but providing coordinated guidelines and a skeleton of work could at least narrow things versus just having each school do whatever the hell they want.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

The lieutenant governor is a very young (37) guy without a ton of government experience. He'd take over as our first black governor. I still like Abdul El-Sayed who is also super young (in my graduating class at Michigan!) a lot but sometimes he teeters on the edge of burn it down progressivism rather than what I will call AOC progressivism. Hopefully he leans back the other way. He's been pretty visible over the last couple months since his background is in public health.

I think the 'burn it down progressivism' is more a stance for people not in a political position to take as it helps show the concessions progressives make for conservatives.

• Options
    1719 new cases, growth rate back up to 22.5% after three straight days under 20.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    My wife keeps wondering why we’re so far ahead of, say, Texas and Florida.

I keep telling her it’s because we’re doing more testing. I assume that’s true.

• Options
    Metro is also a massive international hub.

• Options
    The governor has an announcement at 10:30. I'm guessing the schools are closed.