As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Michigan Politics: Dem Trifecta!!!

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    It’s inception. Some news talks about an event, so the news becomes some news talking about the event, so you must also cover the event.

Plus the allure of the Cletus Hunt.

Also rich people want them to and have very good PR teams telling them that this is a big deal. And critical thinking is not really part of modern journalism.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Impressive how much coverage something like 100 assholes has gotten.

It's almost like there is some real money behind what is a very minor protest by disgruntled trump fans...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Yes and no. I'd imagine most reporters are also working from home so there's not much new news to talk about. It's basically hot takes on things with footage like this, delve into hundred page reports with Greek letters you don't understand, or talk to another doctor via zoom who is saying the same thing they said yesterday.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

It's almost like there is some real money behind what is a very minor protest by disgruntled trump fans...

Also, pigmentation.

If these protests were being held by predominantly black, brown, Asian or Native peoples (or even a mix, that wasn't predominantly white), regardless of the message, the coverage would be significantly lower.

The amount of attention a disgruntled white person, especially male*, gets from the news, is blatantly racist. Whether it's actual intentional racism, audience retention math, or just a self-perpetuation of bias, the ratios on coverage is pretty damning.
    * Unless it's an abduction or other crime that makes them a victim, in which case white female.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    It’s inception. Some news talks about an event, so the news becomes some news talking about the event, so you must also cover the event.

Plus the allure of the Cletus Hunt.

Also rich people want them to and have very good PR teams telling them that this is a big deal. And critical thinking is not really part of modern journalism.

It's the Brooks Brothers Riot or the Tea Party all over again.

shryke on
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I know there are silly geese out there who will take Trump's tweet to heart and do some stupid things.

lwt1973 on
    "He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    LeTwigLeTwig Registered User regular
    God, I hope Whitmer actually gets absentee ballots to every registered voter like she said she would. It might take apathy out of the equation and give us a better idea how stupid our state really is.

• Options
    The Royal Oak Commissioner everyone:
    "In my eyes, the scare on the coronavirus is over,” Gibbs was quoted as saying. “I’m not a doctor, but my personal belief is that the people who got it, or are going to get it, have already gotten it, so let’s get back to work.”

Whenever someone says, "I'm not a doctor but..." you know that it's going to be bad.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Rich white people, everybody!

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    "In my eyes, the scare on the coronavirus is over,” Gibbs was quoted as saying. “I’m not a doctor, but my personal belief is that the people who got it, or are going to get it, have already gotten it, so let’s get back to work.”

Whenever someone says, "I'm not a doctor but..." you know that it's going to be bad.

It's up there with the "I don't mean to disrespect, but..."

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »

It's up there with the "I don't mean to disrespect, but..."

Or with ''I'm not a racist but...''

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    This is shocking. I am shocked. Look how shocked I am.

https://m.metrotimes.com/news-hits/archives/2020/04/23/exclusive-audio-shows-governor-rick-snyders-fixer-lied-about-warnings-snyder-and-his-administration-received-on-toxic-flint-water-attem
    Two days away from what Attorney General Dana Nessel’s criminal prosecutors told Flint residents was the Michigan statute of limitations for new charges to be filed in relation to the Flint water crisis, Metro Times has obtained shocking audio from a February 2017 meeting between Governor Rick Snyder’s right-hand man and top adviser, Rich Baird, and a sick Flint couple. The audio reveals alleged criminal activity by Baird — that Baird claims he told the governor about — as well as potential evidence that Governor Snyder himself had lied about what, and when, he knew about Flint’s deadly water.

• Options
    moniker wrote: »

https://m.metrotimes.com/news-hits/archives/2020/04/23/exclusive-audio-shows-governor-rick-snyders-fixer-lied-about-warnings-snyder-and-his-administration-received-on-toxic-flint-water-attem
    Two days away from what Attorney General Dana Nessel’s criminal prosecutors told Flint residents was the Michigan statute of limitations for new charges to be filed in relation to the Flint water crisis, Metro Times has obtained shocking audio from a February 2017 meeting between Governor Rick Snyder’s right-hand man and top adviser, Rich Baird, and a sick Flint couple. The audio reveals alleged criminal activity by Baird — that Baird claims he told the governor about — as well as potential evidence that Governor Snyder himself had lied about what, and when, he knew about Flint’s deadly water.

Actually, I am shocked. A little bit.

That this was found out BEFORE the statute of limitations had exhausted.

Now, there needs to be no shenannigans to prevent new charges from being filed in those two days.

So, I'm not THAT hopeful it'll matter.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »

Actually, I am shocked. A little bit.

That this was found out BEFORE the statute of limitations had exhausted.

Now, there needs to be no shenannigans to prevent new charges from being filed in those two days.

So, I'm not THAT hopeful it'll matter.

From the article it sounds like the AG who fired people investigating the governor prior to the whole thing cracking wide open is still in power, so I'm not holding high hopes for them to not drag their feet two more days, say oops, and dump everything.

• Options
    Stay at Home now extended to May 15th with some changes:

What's allowed:
    Boating.
    Golfing, but without golf carts.
    Lawn cutting services, landscapers and gardening services can operate.
    Plant nurseries can reopen, with social distancing enforced.
    Bike shops, with social distancing, enforced.
    Shopping, with face masks required in enclosed public spaces. No fines will be issued to those who do not adhere to the face-covering restriction, but businesses can refuse service.
    Large stores can reopen garden and home improvement sections.
    Nonessential retailers that had been closed can now reopen to offer curbside pickup or delivery.
    Travel between residences, including outside the state and moving into a new home. People can travel to vacation homes, but are discouraged from doing so.
    Outdoor activities like running, hiking or cycling as long as social distancing guidelines are followed.
    Care for a family member, dependents, persons with disabilities, the elderly or a family member's pet in another household.
    Pick up nonessential supplies using curbside pick-up from a store that is otherwise closed.
    Pick up or return a motor vehicle that needed repairs or maintenance check
    Attend funerals, with no more than 10 people in attendance.
    Attend an addiction recovery meeting, provided no more than 10 people are in attendance.
    Volunteer or work for an organization that is providing food or other essentials to those who are economically disadvantaged.

What's not allowed:
    Dine-in service at bars and restaurants
    Operation of hair salons, tattoo parlors, and other non-essential services.
    Non-essential health procedures, including veterinary operations or check ups for pets.
    All travel, including travel to vacation rentals.
    Renting a vacation property, except to provide housing for a health care professionals or volunteer contributing to COVID-19 efforts.

Officials advise households to limit the number of people leaving the house to run errands.

Currently 35,296 known cases and 2,977 deaths.

And people will still be mad over this.

• Options

What's allowed:
    Boating.
    Shopping, with face masks required in enclosed public spaces. No fines will be issued to those who do not adhere to the face-covering restriction, but businesses can refuse service.
    Nonessential retailers that had been closed can now reopen to offer curbside pickup or delivery.
    Travel between residences, including outside the state and moving into a new home. People can travel to vacation homes, but are discouraged from doing so.
    Outdoor activities like running, hiking or cycling as long as social distancing guidelines are followed.
    Care for a family member, dependents, persons with disabilities, the elderly or a family member's pet in another household.
    Pick up nonessential supplies using curbside pick-up from a store that is otherwise closed.
    Attend an addiction recovery meeting, provided no more than 10 people are in attendance.
    Volunteer or work for an organization that is providing food or other essentials to those who are economically disadvantaged.

What's not allowed:
    Non-essential health procedures, including veterinary operations or check ups for pets.
    Renting a vacation property, except to provide housing for a health care professionals or volunteer contributing to COVID-19 efforts.

Officials advise households to limit the number of people leaving the house to run errands.

"Golfing, but without golf carts."

Or as Trump would call it, "Fuck that, what am I supposed to do, walk? Like a peasant?"

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

What's allowed:
    Boating.

What's not allowed:

Or as Trump would call it, "Fuck that, what am I supposed to do, walk? Like a peasant?"

Disabled and mobility-impaired people also play golf.

• Options
    I Zimbra wrote: »

What's allowed:
    Boating.

What's not allowed:

Disabled and mobility-impaired people also play golf.

And I have no issue with them using said equipment. More power to them.

It wasn't a criticism of golfcarts. It was a criticism of the laziest President in my living memory, and how he takes even a low-impact sport, and makes it even lazier.

HE DRIVES HIS CART ONTO THE GREEN!

Sorry, I'm not a big golfer myself, but that's just fucking pathetic.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Half of that stuff should still be not allowed. You just know the protesters are going to start babbling about this being a freaking victory and they're just going to keep up the pressure until it all pops open...

To be honest, kind of dismayed she folded like a house of cards on a lot of this stuff. I expect another peak within a month thanks to this kind of shit.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Half of that stuff should still be not allowed. You just know the protesters are going to start babbling about this being a freaking victory and they're just going to keep up the pressure until it all pops open...

To be honest, kind of dismayed she folded like a house of cards on a lot of this stuff. I expect another peak within a month thanks to this kind of shit.

I think the West side of the state is going to ramp up once the restrictions are loosened.

• Options

I think the West side of the state is going to ramp up once the restrictions are loosened.

That's one of the main reasons I didn't want the travel restrictions loosened- because everyone is going to head west away from Detroit, and up north to the U.P.- and while we've had cases out this way (Kent, Kalamazoo, Calhoun, Berrien counties), we haven't had the dramatic explosion of cases like they have over in Detroit.

But above all, we don't have the tests available for something like this. Letting people run wild will just make another peak. We've learned nothing- not from 1918, not from anything.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    Wow, that's one of the broadest list of exceptions I've seen yet. So basically stay at home, if you feel like it, please? Unless there's something better you want to do or something.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    And more silly geese around me. I’ve read from neighbors that the numbers of deaths is way overblown as the CDC is inflating them with deaths that have nothing to do with the pandemic.

The best was people shouldn’t wear masks at stores and just lie and say they have a medical condition because the masks are just there to promote fear.

This is the same area where people had a rally for Patrick Colbeck so I’m not too surprised.

lwt1973 on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    More protests at the capitol today as they don't want the Emergency Powers to be extended.

Good for the Lansing Mayor for calling them out:
    “I am disappointed that people continue to come to Lansing and gather at the Capitol and put themselves, as well as Lansing residents, at risk of contracting or spreading COVID-19. We all need to be practicing social distancing by staying home or only working essential jobs in our own communities to ensure that we beat this virus,” said Mayor Andy Schor

Nice social distancing:

jvc2lzpcw95q.jpg

lwt1973 on
  • Options
    The predicted West Michigan outbreak is happening. Kent County (Grand Rapids) is up to 1400 cases and about to pass Gennessee (Flint) for fourth most in the state. Doubling time of about a week right now. Smaller surrounding counties are also seeing spikes, though not quite as severe. Naturally, Muskegon (highest black population per capita in West Michigan) is showing the highest death rate.

• Options
    The state legislature (Republicans) not only refused to extend the state of emergency about the coronavirus, they're also apparently suing Gov. Whitmer over this, claiming she overstepped her authority.

Way to empower the CoD fanboys running around the Capitol playing soldier-man, guys. News flash- most of us don't want to end up dead from this, but apparently the need for someone to get a haircut is more pressing than the stylist's family not getting fucking corona from these stupid fucks.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The state legislature (Republicans) not only refused to extend the state of emergency about the coronavirus, they're also apparently suing Gov. Whitmer over this, claiming she overstepped her authority.

Way to empower the CoD fanboys running around the Capitol playing soldier-man, guys. News flash- most of us don't want to end up dead from this, but apparently the need for someone to get a haircut is more pressing than the stylist's family not getting fucking corona from these stupid fucks.

The only question is, will enough of the "most of us" actually vote against Republicans in a large enough manner to override the gerrymandering?

If at least 80*% of citizens are against opening up the state until safe to do so, and 60**% is necessary to do so, then it comes down to if less than 20% will put their own safety over that of voting in a partisan manner.
    * At least according to the polls I've seen.
    ** I think that's the number needed to override?

I'm pessimistic on that outcome.

• Options
    Dems won 52-47 in the popular vote in 2018 and came 3 seats short of flipping the legislature. Dems probably need to win by 7 to win a majority. But Republicans have 51 (out of 110) seats they won by at least 10 points even in that bad year.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52496514
    Gun-toting protesters against Michigan's coronavirus lockdown have rallied in the state capitol building.

Hundreds of demonstrators, a few of them armed, gathered in Lansing and many did not wear masks or socially distance.

Police checked their temperatures before some were allowed into the capitol, where lawmakers were debating.

Governor Gretchen Whitmer, a Democrat, extended her stay-at-home mandate earlier this month until 15 May.

Michigan has been hard hit by the coronavirus, with 3,788 deaths.

More than 41,000 infections have been recorded across the Midwestern state, mostly in the Detroit metro area.

Thursday's protest, dubbed the "American Patriot Rally", was organised by Michigan United for Liberty. It called for state businesses to reopen on 1 May in violation of state orders.

So...Michigan is being taken over by white supremacists?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    LeTwigLeTwig Registered User regular
    0wisie6qgdp5.png

Hundreds?

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Gun-toting protesters against Michigan's coronavirus lockdown have rallied in the state capitol building.

Hundreds of demonstrators, a few of them armed, gathered in Lansing and many did not wear masks or socially distance.

Police checked their temperatures before some were allowed into the capitol, where lawmakers were debating.

Governor Gretchen Whitmer, a Democrat, extended her stay-at-home mandate earlier this month until 15 May.

More than 41,000 infections have been recorded across the Midwestern state, mostly in the Detroit metro area.

Thursday's protest, dubbed the "American Patriot Rally", was organised by Michigan United for Liberty. It called for state businesses to reopen on 1 May in violation of state orders.

Not surprised. My understanding is that the Upper Peninsula has the highest concentration of Militia membership in the country, surpassing even Idaho.

• Options
    UP is saner than West Michigan. Or like, Washtenaw outside Ann Arbor.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

So just like the rest of America, then.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Michigan's always had a pretty serious white supremacist bent. The UP, west side, and Thumb all have significant groups. A group from the thumb is basically why you'll get kicked out of a lot of tattoo parlors if you ask for anything Norse.

Edit: there was a minor Satanic panic some years back in Carrollton, an old church was bought by an unknown buyer and was painted with occult symbols. When they turned out to just be Aryans the neighborhood dropped their complaint.

Edit 2:
    https://imgur.com/gallery/wvZYOiz

I don't know guns but found this post amusing. Assuming original poster knows guns (sounds like they do?) the protestors all had random mismatched bargain bin knockoff gear, one had a gun he couldn't safely fire (left handed without the correct mechanism), and one had a bunch of magazines that didn't match the gun he was carrying.

The Best People, as always.

Hevach on
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    No, they probably don't. Or it's a shipost from someone on arfcom. Because $800-1000 is no longer lower end pricing as the market has grown significantly in the last 20 years and prices have been driven down heavily by competition. There's no way he can tell from a photo this zoomed out if the ACOG is a Chinesium knock off. A left handed person can absolutely safely fire a gun which is designed for a right handed user. EoTech is not bargain bin in any way. Vortex is more budget friendly (sometimes) but it isn't bargain bin either.

Basically, it seems like the person has maybe a surface level knowledge of the things they are writing about, or it's a deliberate shitpost by some arfcom "patrician" with a $2500 rifle.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    regardless of what guns they are carrying, they're all wearing masks which means one or both of two things. 1: they recognize the pandemic problem. 2: they're afraid of being recognized because they know they're dipshits.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Considering several of them told MLive their names and at least one of them said the virus is a hoax, I'd go with option 3: it's part of the ensemble.

• Options

Worth referencing. Also the GOP Senate leader called the terrorists "jackasses" today.

Harwood's a CNBC newsperson.