As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Michigan Politics: Dem Trifecta!!!

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    The governor has an announcement at 10:30. I'm guessing the schools are closed.

There's conflicting reports. But yeah, press conference is imminent.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    And they are closed. Each district has to come up with a plan for continuing education which is going to be a mess.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Apparently the AG send another letter to Menards, this time instead of price gouging they were pushing sales and a lot of their stores were way past distancing guidelines for employees and customers, letter emphasizes that hardware stores are on the outer end of "essential" and should be running at minimum necessary operations and not having big event sales.

I was wondering when hardware stores might start getting hit - they were called out as essential in the guidelines a few weeks ago, but glaringly absent from the hard lockdown order. I assumed they were getting a pass after Saginaw started pulling business and liquor license from violators, but looks like a few certain stores* might ruin it for the rest.

*-A local Ace is having a tent sale today, and Harbor Freight is heavily advertising a chain-wide Spring Black Friday event next weekend, I wonder if either one will have to rethink or if they'll attract the same attention Menards has been. I've mentioned in the COVID discussion thread how both have been noticeably heavily staffed as well, HF in particular, which is the opposite of responsible.

Hevach on
  • Options
    BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    Our district doesn't seem to have an overarching plan, leaving it (apparently) up to the teachers. Our K teacher sent home several huge packets on the last day and is consistently posting additional videos and worksheets several times a week. Meanwhile, the six HS teachers for another son have collectively posted about four activities over the past three weeks.

*shrug emoji*

• Options
    https://content.govdelivery.com/attachments/MIEOG/2020/04/02/file_attachments/1417518/EO 2020-35.pdf

There's the executive order. Technically schools could re-open if the public gathering restrictions are lifted, but that seems unlikely.

• Options
    Important stuff:

Schools have until April 28 to implement a plan to continue education. Can be online or can be something else depending on each district's context. MDE is supposed to have a plan template available for us tomorrow.
    Decisions on awarding credit and issuing grades is up to each district.
    SAT that was going to be given for free for juniors this year will be given for free next fall instead.
    Seniors can either be given credit for progress through March 11, be provided an optional final, or offer some kind of alternate culminating activity. If a senior was failing a class on March 11, we have to give them a chance to recover their grade.
    Teachers can renew their certificates for one year if they were unable to meet the requirements for renewal.

• Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    Important stuff:

Schools have until April 28 to implement a plan to continue education. Can be online or can be something else depending on each district's context. MDE is supposed to have a plan template available for us tomorrow.
    Decisions on awarding credit and issuing grades is up to each district.
    SAT that was going to be given for free for juniors this year will be given for free next fall instead.
    Seniors can either be given credit for progress through March 11, be provided an optional final, or offer some kind of alternate culminating activity. If a senior was failing a class on March 11, we have to give them a chance to recover their grade.
    Teachers can renew their certificates for one year if they were unable to meet the requirements for renewal.

I fully expect local administrators to push for "everybody passes." None of them will want to ruin their local retention, persistence, and completion stats. So in practice this sounds like free grades/passes all the way around. Which I expected to be the outcome.

On the upside, a HS diploma has lost just about all quality signal value anyway. So I don't expect the downstream effects of a half a year of missed K-12 education to be all that significant.

• Options
    The stay at home has been extended to the 30th and on a couple of township Facebook groups some of my neighbors aren't happy at all. They think we should be free to go to work and the east side should be in lockdown. A couple even advocated for everyone to go to work and try to get arrested. Good times. Good times.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    The stay at home has been extended to the 30th and on a couple of township Facebook groups some of my neighbors aren't happy at all. They think we should be free to go to work and the east side should be in lockdown. A couple even advocated for everyone to go to work and try to get arrested. Good times. Good times.

Ah, the rare anti-strike. Don't not cross the nonpicket line and be an inverscab.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    I do not understand why it is so difficult for people to figure out that the economy can't be restarted until people feel safe.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I do not understand why it is so difficult for people to figure out that the economy can't be restarted until people feel safe.

because, if you're not a critical worker and you can't WFH, your paycheck depends on not understanding

I don't blame people outside of the Macomb / Wayne / Oakland epicenter for being pissed they got laid off

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular

Yeah I've seen messages ranging from "The President says it's trending down and our governor extends the stay?" to "At some point, economics has to be more of a factor than limiting deaths." which led me to blocking some very close friends on Facebook to avoid losing my mind.

• Options
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, a Detroit area hospital is functioning as the canary in the coal mine. This might be the underfunded, city hospital (give you 3 guesses what kind of population they predominantly serve!), but they are still technically a hospital, so you might expect the other local hospitals to start getting really slammed soon if things don’t peak

• Options
    Newest theory around the west side of the state is they are over stating all the deaths so that they can get more funding.

My parents are on that side of the argument stating that it’s not so bad so just open it all up again.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    West Michigan vs Detroit is a real ugly intrastate issue huh

I have conservative friends in Ottawa County and they talk like Detroit is another country they’re at war with

• Options
    Detroit has black people, so the rest of the state hates it.

• Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular

Well, its more just all ugly nasty sprawl with ridiculous traffic. I hate when my company has required in person meetings downtown and it takes me 4 hours to get out of the city.

• Options
    monkeykins wrote: »

Well, its more just all ugly nasty sprawl with ridiculous traffic. I hate when my company has required in person meetings downtown and it takes me 4 hours to get out of the city.

I hate to say it, but what you are describing is a direct consequence of @enlightenedbum's comment. De facto segregation involved more than the Eight Mile Wall.

• Options

This happens just about everywhere, but the level at which it expresses in West Michigan is like on par with Georgia/Atlanta...

• Options
    Some of my neighbors are going to that stupid traffic jam thing to stand up for their constitutional rights. Maybe instead they should talk to some health care workers about what is happening.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    It's extra dumb cause there's half an inch of snow in my yard and everyone is flipping out about not being able to buy gardening supplies. The fuck are you planning on planting in freezing temps?

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    6ggw6ofsoyqj.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2020
    mRahmani wrote: »
    It's extra dumb cause there's half an inch of snow in my yard and everyone is flipping out about not being able to buy gardening supplies. The fuck are you planning on planting in freezing temps?

We're at the end of the optimal range for crabgrass preventer. MSU GDD Tracker. Mulch should go down too but that can wait.

I won't deny it: I would be buying and putting down crabgrass preventer and have my garden mulched and deadheaded if I could.

enc0re on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    I love Whitmer's response to the stupid protests in Lansing yesterday:

“I was disappointed to see people congregating, not wearing masks. I saw people handing out candy to kids unprotected,” she said. “I know people are angry. If you want to send it out my way, fine. I support your right to free speech, and I respect your opinion. I urge you don’t put yourself at risk. And don’t put others at risk either.”

Article source is here.

She reminds me of a mother handling a bunch of whiny, over-privileged teenagers exactly how they need to be handled- let them rage, let them get mad, but keep your calm and don't back down.

However, there are still problems- several county sheriffs are refusing to enforce the lockdown orders. This is going to end up causing more deaths and suffering, because one hotspot has the potential to spark a whole new wave of corona across the state. Details here.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Things are going to get bad in West Michigan in about 10 days, I'm guessing. Probably lots of in person Easter services.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Can someone explain the protest? From what I'm seeing on Facebook from people in the area or people who went, the protest was about "freedom" and that the quarantine is government overreach, and this is all overblown. However it seems 80% of the folks that went stayed in their vehicles? Isn't that counter to their entire point? You think it's overblown and want stuff to open up, but it's a credible enough threat that I'm going to stay in my car?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Can someone explain the protest? From what I'm seeing on Facebook from people in the area or people who went, the protest was about "freedom" and that the quarantine is government overreach, and this is all overblown. However it seems 80% of the folks that went stayed in their vehicles? Isn't that counter to their entire point? You think it's overblown and want stuff to open up, but it's a credible enough threat that I'm going to stay in my car?

"Waaah waaah, the Democrat governor is being all mean to us and our God-Emperor by thinking of our safety and standing up to him and so we're going to risk exposing ourselves to this just so we can piss and moan and whine about not being able to start up our landscaping services and things because of the lockdown. Also, we don't believe in science and think herd immunity is the way to go. Also, MAGA/KAGA *waves guns around*."

Pretty much a rally for Donnie the Clown without the three-ring circus. Plenty of backup clowns, though. It's just so goddamned stupid- and if there were any active corona carriers among them, they're going to know in a few weeks...

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Your first mistake was assuming a consistent, credible thought process of the people involved.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

Your first mistake was assuming a consistent, credible thought process of the people involved.

haha yeah that's what it seems. I'm seeing photo's on FB of folks armed to the teeth, Whitmer as a Nazi, misspelling all over the place, and a ton of Trump signs, flags, etc. I guess I'm not surprised. I'd imagine a lot of these folks are probably out of work right now and are angry. Trump opened the floodgates by attacking Whitmer, making it acceptable in their eyes.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I mean when they roll up to the protest with confederate flags that's all you need to know. Like literally that's it, its just white male rage.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

The ownership of our country wants things to reopen because they believe the market demands human sacrifice to be happy. So they created some astroturf protest groups and got wall to wall media coverage for them.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I mean when they roll up to the protest with confederate flags that's all you need to know. Like literally that's it, its just white male rage.

Also, if hypocrisy could be turned into clean energy, what with people with confederate flags pushing/supporting a President who declares he has total authority over the states, climate change would be solved.

I mean, I know that it's about, and has always been about, racism and power, but they've clearly given up on any pretense that "states rights" has any validity to their argument.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the Presidency having as much power as it's accrued (especially with the checks and balances clearly being feckless). But those fuckers are arguing in the worst possible faith.

• Options
    BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    Also, some of the orgs sponsoring/supporting this have received at least $250,000 from the DeVos family in just 2018. Apparently that's the price tag of a true grassroots, supported by the people protest these days.

The Michigan Conservative Coalition is an unsuprisingly ugly group, peddling right-wing Pepe the Frog and Islamophobic memes on its Facebook page.

They were so conscientious, they worried about ambulances trampling their freedom to be assholes. These lovelies even blocked the nearby hospital's driveway.

The flames...side of my face...

• Options
    Here's one of their big posts.
    As Supervisor of Byron Township, I took an oath to defend the Constitution of the US and the Constitution of Michigan. I believe that the Governor of Michigan has exceeded her Constitutional authority in many ways. I believe that my constituents and taxpayers of Byron Township need clarity in trying to muddle through her edicts. While she has some authority to suggest guidelines for safety during this COVID-19 health situation, she doesn’t have the authority to forbid citizens from assembly as families, as churches or as citizens to assemble or criticize her decisions. Her method of selecting “essential vs non-essential activities is seriously flawed as her models used to arrive at numbers. I believe her goal is to destroy the economy of Michigan and to lay the blame on our president. She sees the purchase of alcohol, pot, lottery tickets and access to abortion as essential but a multitude of other purchases as forbidden. You cannot purchase paint and other home improvement supplies but can purchase beer, wine and spirits. You can’t buy grass seed or fertilizer or seeds for a home garden, or even purchase a lawnmower. You can’t visit relatives or family who live outside your home under threat of fines, while encouraging us to tattle on others. She stops landscapers and outside builders from working but allows coffee shops and fast foods to continue working. You can canoe and kayak or rowboat but you can’t fish from a motor boat. Ordinances in Byron like keeping lawn cut and junk cleaned up are banned by her edicts. In Byron Township, I am encouraging common sense in everything. You may not agree with your neighbors choices but unless they infringe on your right, you can’t stop them. Businesses too, need to exercise common sense. A landscaper or someone mowing your yard for you is not putting anyone at risk.i encourage those businesses to continue. I will not stop or fine them unless they are doing it against the owners wishes. The writers and signers of our Declaration of Independence recognized that when a “ruler” steps over the boundaries of fairness and “ common sense” rule, it is the right and responsibility of the people to throw off that rule. No other state, even ones led by her own party, have such a draconian set of rules. In Byron Township, we are emptying out trash barrels, mowing our parks and cemeteries. You will be able to vote May 5th and still drop off your payments and call if you have questions. Our staff is here to serve you while keeping you and the staff safe.
    Blessings, Tom Hooker

It boils down to "defend the Constitution" and "Declaration of Independence applies here because you're a bad ruler and we don't have to follow your rules."

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    In completely unsurprising news, anti-quarantine geese are also anti-vaxxer geese:

Will Sommer is a reporter for the Daily Beast.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    In completely unsurprising news, anti-quarantine geese are also anti-vaxxer geese:

Will Sommer is a reporter for the Daily Beast.

Honestly, it reminds me of the jpeg of the steam group for boycotting MW 2 more than anything else.

• Options
    I thought of that while watching the Free Press' video on the rally errr protest.

3v1tr7o25p22.jpg

• Options
    Impressive how much coverage something like 100 assholes has gotten.

• Options
    It’s inception. Some news talks about an event, so the news becomes some news talking about the event, so you must also cover the event.

Plus the allure of the Cletus Hunt.