As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Michigan Politics: Dem Trifecta!!!

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    So, about that petition to pull back the governor's powers...

https://wwmt.com/news/state/ag-nessel-opens-investigation-into-unlock-michigans-collection-of-petition-signatures

"Residents said in the complaints that they were told the petitions were supporting LGBTQ rights, medical marijuana initiatives or small businesses, among other things.

Media reports revealed what appears to be at least one official working for the Unlock Michigan campaign who was training petition circulators and suggested they use deceptive and potentially illegal tactics to gain signatures for the ballot initiative, state officials said."

Throw the whole damned petition out, you can make an argument that at least a good chunk of the sigs gathered were under false pretenses, and hopefully AG Nessel will throw some big, heavy books at them in lawsuit form.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    So, about that petition to pull back the governor's powers...

https://wwmt.com/news/state/ag-nessel-opens-investigation-into-unlock-michigans-collection-of-petition-signatures

"Residents said in the complaints that they were told the petitions were supporting LGBTQ rights, medical marijuana initiatives or small businesses, among other things.

Media reports revealed what appears to be at least one official working for the Unlock Michigan campaign who was training petition circulators and suggested they use deceptive and potentially illegal tactics to gain signatures for the ballot initiative, state officials said."

Throw the whole damned petition out, you can make an argument that at least a good chunk of the sigs gathered were under false pretenses, and hopefully AG Nessel will throw some big, heavy books at them in lawsuit form.

New stupid argument on keeping it was that the paid people might've been bad but the volunteers are good. Then we got another video of a volunteer using the same tactic. So...no.

Also Devos got smacked down by the courts as she was trying to divert some of the Covid relief money for low income schools to private schools as she wanted it based on enrollment and not how many low income students you have. Guess how many low income students are in private schools? Not so much. States sued over this interpretation and the Appeals court said Congress was clear it would go to low income and not based on enrollment. Devos then dropped her appeal finally.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Guess which two geese got caught with their beaks in the vote suppression cookie jar?
    Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel has filed charges today against two political operatives for allegedly orchestrating a series of robocalls aimed at suppressing the vote in the November general election.

Jack Burkman, 54, and Jacob Wohl, 22, are each charged with:

One count of election law – intimidating voters, a five-year felony;
    One count of conspiracy to commit an election law violation, a five-year felony;
    One count of using a computer to commit the crime of election law – intimidating voters, a seven-year felony; and
    Using a computer to commit the crime of conspiracy, a seven-year felony.

The charges were filed today in the 36th District Court in Detroit. Arraignment is pending for the defendants. The Attorney General’s office will be working – with local law enforcement if necessary – to secure the appearance of each defendant in Michigan. It’s too early to say if formal extradition will be necessary or if they will present themselves here voluntarily in the very near future.

Burkman, an Arlington, Virginia resident, and Wohl, a Los Angeles, California resident, allegedly attempted to discourage voters from participating in the general election by creating and funding a robocall targeted at certain urban areas, including Detroit. The calls were made in late August and went out to nearly 12,000 residents with phone numbers from the 313 area code.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I'm a pretty big fan of all of the women Michigan elected two years ago, but Nessel is the best.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    WELP.

https://wwmt.com/news/state/michigan-supreme-court-strikes-down-governors-virus-orders

"The Michigan Supreme Court on Friday struck down months of orders by Gov. Gretchen Whitmer that were aimed at preventing the spread of the coronavirus, saying she illegally drew authority from a 1945 law that doesn't apply.

The court said the law was an "unlawful delegation of legislative power to the executive branch in violation of the Michigan Constitution.""

Check back in two weeks, when MI will be hitting peaks of more COVID cases because the silly geese will be out in fucking force.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    WELP.

https://wwmt.com/news/state/michigan-supreme-court-strikes-down-governors-virus-orders

"The Michigan Supreme Court on Friday struck down months of orders by Gov. Gretchen Whitmer that were aimed at preventing the spread of the coronavirus, saying she illegally drew authority from a 1945 law that doesn't apply.

The court said the law was an "unlawful delegation of legislative power to the executive branch in violation of the Michigan Constitution.""

Check back in two weeks, when MI will be hitting peaks of more COVID cases because the silly geese will be out in fucking force.

Man I hate the Republicans that are bound and determined to ratfuck our state into a death cult.

Fuck Rick Snyder and fuck every last dumbass Republican voter.

• Options
    We are so very screwed. I'm on the West side and in Trump country so as soon as this happens everyone around me is not going to wear masks. Schools aren't going to require them either I just know. I am going to have to decide if I keep them home which isn't best for their education due to their needs or send them and risk Corona.

Fuck it all.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I'm sure Ann Arbor is loving it, they can open up their ass buffets now.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    And now the 21 days became the state won't enforce the rules. So, I'm waiting for the herds to start heading into stores without masks and for the pushing for no masks at school.

• Options
    Christ, we just became fucking East Wisconsin overnight.

There are already wingnuts screaming that we ought to fling open the doors and return everything to normal and burn all the masks. I’m keeping my happy ass home from now on. Winter can’t come fast enough. Maybe making it harder to get around will help burn this out.

Fucking Republicans, fucking Nurgle death cultists, fucking deniers all wanting us to die so they can have their sports and their lattes and their doggies groomed and fuck everyone trying to stay well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

There are already wingnuts screaming that we ought to fling open the doors and return everything to normal and burn all the masks. I’m keeping my happy ass home from now on. Winter can’t come fast enough. Maybe making it harder to get around will help burn this out.

Fucking Republicans, fucking Nurgle death cultists, fucking deniers all wanting us to die so they can have their sports and their lattes and their doggies groomed and fuck everyone trying to stay well.

Or North Indiana.

Gotta say, sitting in Chicago, I just love how insane every cardinal direction has become.

• Options

Winter is going to drive everyone indoors which is bad.

• Options
    I "love" the statement from the Republican leader of the legislature saying that the focus will be on "Education" and not "Enforcement" when asked about a required mask law. Everyone has heard what you have to do. It's just a matter of either doing it or not.

• Options
    Fuck.

I’m just so fucking done with this state and the Republican Nurgle Death Cult dragging us screaming and hollering into the disease pits because they want normalcy when people are fucking dying and a fatal pandemic is raging. Do they not see the shitshow that is Wisconsin? You can’t fucking find an ICU bed because they’re full of fucking COVID-19 patients and hospitals are straining.

How is that a fucking goal to achieve? How is that a desirable fucking end-state for anyone?

Education. Sure. These are the only lessons I imagine they’ll teach:

1) When asked to wear a mask, babble out “muh freedumz lol git fuked libs” and push past them.

2) Your rights to an easy convenient life outclass the desires of everyone else to not catch COVID and die.

3) If you or someone you love gets sick or dies of COVID, it’s STILL the libs’ fault somehow.

Just... you babble on about your rights and freedoms- what about mine? What the FUCK about my right to not catch this shit or not have to dread fucking going outside because the crazies are already running around like loons?

I wish Speaker Chatfield would catch this shit. Let him get a good solid taste of it and see if he thinks this bullshit is still a great idea.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MI Repubs: lol git fuked libs we win!

MI Health and Human Services Chief: Well, actually... no, you don't.

Whitmer may have lost the fight to keep the restrictions in place... but the Michigan HHS chief just re-issued the same orders, citing a 1978 law that allows him to act to control a pandemic- and that law was based off one from 1918- one crafted to stop the Spanish Flu pandemic. The usual suspects are screaming angry, but attacking the health department just doesn't look as good as standing up to the governor.

I think they have a really, really good chance of sticking- and since it's a different law being cited, the reopening fuckheads are almost shit out of luck getting more sigs for the election.

I might be a terrible person for loving their lamentations on this, but fuck them, seriously.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    MI Repubs: lol git fuked libs we win!

MI Health and Human Services Chief: Well, actually... no, you don't.

Whitmer may have lost the fight to keep the restrictions in place... but the Michigan HHS chief just re-issued the same orders, citing a 1978 law that allows him to act to control a pandemic- and that law was based off one from 1918- one crafted to stop the Spanish Flu pandemic. The usual suspects are screaming angry, but attacking the health department just doesn't look as good as standing up to the governor.

I think they have a really, really good chance of sticking- and since it's a different law being cited, the reopening fuckheads are almost shit out of luck getting more sigs for the election.

I might be a terrible person for loving their lamentations on this, but fuck them, seriously.

You aren't. These shitheads are literally trying to kill people to score political brownie points.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Oh my god this is amazing

Gonna have to keep the dental dams, Ann Arbor

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2020/10/08/feds-thwart-militia-plot-kidnap-michigan-gov-gretchen-whitmer/5922301002/

So this is a big enough thing that I almost wonder if it should go in the election thread?
    The FBI says it thwarted what it described as a plot to violently overthrow the government and kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, and federal prosecutors are expected to discuss the alleged conspiracy later Thursday.

The alleged plot involved reaching out to members of a Michigan militia, according to a federal affidavit filed Thursday.

"Several members talked about murdering 'tyrants' or 'taking' a sitting governor," an FBI agent wrote in the affidavit. "The group decided they needed to increase their numbers and encouraged each other to talk to their neighbors and spread their message."

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    That’s what we call a terrorist plot and not a militia plot.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Apropos of nothing

p0uynkfhanep.jpeg

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Why am I not the slightest bit surprised they are in Hartland?

Fucking Livingston County man. What is it with that place?

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Why am I not the slightest bit surprised they are in Hartland?

Fucking Livingston County man. What is it with that place?

Y'all can just blame Michigan's boot, (former Indiana native.) since it's the birthplace of the KKK. So apologies for my state's fuckery.

Love how the national media won't admit this was a terrorist plot. Pisses me off to no end.

• Options
    It would mean they’d have to confront the fact they’re fucking Trump chuds and you’d have to declare the whole campaign a terror organization.

Or they’re fucking QAnon.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    They could also be Proud Boys, too. This sounds like something they'd be behind a hundred fucking percent.

Also...

"In a recorded phone call with an FBI confidential informant, investigators said Fox reported that he needed 200 men to storm the capitol building in Lansing and take hostages, including the governor, who they would try for treason. Also during that call, he said they would execute the plan before the November elections."

But we can't ban fucking guns from the fucking Capitol because fucking why you goddamned fucking cocksucking assholes? How close did this come to fucking happening a few months ago? How many of those goddamned lunatics were in the halls of the Capitol building waving their penis extenders around and howling like fucking loons? But no, we can't ban guns because "muh rites an freedumz"!

Fucking disgusting.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    That’s what we call a terrorist plot and not a militia plot.

They're too pale to be terrorists. Just a pack of lone wolves.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    https://wwmt.com/news/local/fbi-thwarts-plan-to-kidnap-gov-whitmer-overthrow-government

Up to 13 people charged. There's talk of state charges of terrorism.

EDIT:

"Among those faces state charges are Michael Null, William Null and Eric Moliter; all three were charged with terrorist acts and felony weapons in Antrim County, Michigan."

Antrim is a county up in northern lower Michigan, just northeast of Traverse City, with some 24k people in population- sounds like pretty much the exact kind of place something like this would show up from.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2020/10/08/feds-thwart-militia-plot-kidnap-michigan-gov-gretchen-whitmer/5922301002/

So this is a big enough thing that I almost wonder if it should go in the election thread?
    The FBI says it thwarted what it described as a plot to violently overthrow the government and kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, and federal prosecutors are expected to discuss the alleged conspiracy later Thursday.

The alleged plot involved reaching out to members of a Michigan militia, according to a federal affidavit filed Thursday.

"Several members talked about murdering 'tyrants' or 'taking' a sitting governor," an FBI agent wrote in the affidavit. "The group decided they needed to increase their numbers and encouraged each other to talk to their neighbors and spread their message."

The filing linked near the start of that is worth a read. The whole thing's incredibly bonkers.

It's fortunate these guys were as stupid as they are malicious.

• Options
    LowHitPointsLowHitPoints Sword of the Afternoon MichiganRegistered User regular
    My wife reminded me that back in mid-August there was video shared to the community FB page showing a string of unmarked vehicles roll up on a house in unison, a bunch of Very Serious People getting out with what looked like tactical gear and enter the house. It was never covered on the local news from what we could tell. Now with this bombshell and the seeing that several of the people and meetings took place in the Kent county area I am guessing that raid is connected with this.

• Options
    The state supreme court ruling and legal uncertainty has caused the cancellation of the school board meeting where they were going to discuss the return to in person learning. Kind of hilarious.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    My wife reminded me that back in mid-August there was video shared to the community FB page showing a string of unmarked vehicles roll up on a house in unison, a bunch of Very Serious People getting out with what looked like tactical gear and enter the house. It was never covered on the local news from what we could tell. Now with this bombshell and the seeing that several of the people and meetings took place in the Kent county area I am guessing that raid is connected with this.

Jesus, I forgot about that. Mid-August is like a century ago these days.

• Options
    https://wwmt.com/news/local/gov-whitmer-responds-to-arrests-in-kidnapping-plot

"Whitmer thanked law enforcement, FBI, the Michigan State Police, Attorney General Dana Nessel and both federal prosecutors for uncovering the plot.

She rebuked President Donald Trump saying he was complicit in fomenting the hatred that led to the plot and pointed to the first presidential debate when he was asked to condemn white supremacists.

"'Stand back and stand by' he told them. It wasn't a rebuke, but a rallying cry, as a call to action." Whitmer said."

Dropping this firmly right at Trump's feet, and I don't fucking blame her.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

"This is our first look at four of the suspects state and local officials say targeted Governor Gretchen Whitmer."
    *image of four guys exactly as you imagined when you first read about this happening*
    - WXYZ is a Detroit news station

I mean, really. EXACTLY as I'd imagine they'd look.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    You could tell me that's the same person and I'd believe you

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    This is clearly the face of Antifa.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    This is clearly the face of Antifa.

All Notably Totally Incredibly Fascist Assholes

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Null?

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    Null?

Got this idea from another thread- this is magic sovcit shit where you can’t be tracked because being named “Null” throws off the government databases

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Null?

Got this idea from another thread- this is magic sovcit shit where you can’t be tracked because being named “Null” throws off the government databases

Jeez don't they know you have to make your last name ; DROP TABLE Idiots;-- ?

• Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    Having Bobby Tables resurface as a right-wing militia figure is ... unexpected.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Null?

Other way around, all entries with null values now default to you. You become the dumping ground for everything

Madican on