As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Michigan Politics: Dem Trifecta!!!

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    I could have sworn that a decade or more ago, the authorities busted the same type of terrorists in Michigan, except their plan was a little less concrete than ‘gonna shoot up police stations and other government buildings.’

The Michigan Militia have been around for decades and domestic terrorists throughout that time. They're indirectly responsible for the Oklahoma City bombing.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Only difference now is that instead of shooting cops, they’ve joined forces.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »

Reporter for WXYZ out of Detroit.

Boy, if I were the FBI I'd be looking into this guy's phone records and who he's been meeting with.

OH MY GOD

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    also, that interview with the lady as well as an article from the NYT I saw had a different guy essentially say the same thing:

"Oh sure, I knew that they were in a militia, that's totally normal, this is too far though"

no it isn't, dude, it's not normal, what the fuck is wrong with these fucking chuckle fucks.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    also, that interview with the lady as well as an article from the NYT I saw had a different guy essentially say the same thing:

"Oh sure, I knew that they were in a militia, that's totally normal, this is too far though"

no it isn't, dude, it's not normal, what the fuck is wrong with these fucking chuckle fucks.

fox news, Breitbart, rush, hannity, beck, and qanon as near as I can tell

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Only difference now is that instead of shooting cops, they’ve joined forces.

Nah they still shoot cops. The boogaloo folks killed two cops a while back. The cops, naturally, blamed it on BLM.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Welcome to why they don't want to dig any deeper on these fuckers than they have to. Especially in the smaller counties, when you start busting these chucklefucks you never know who's going to get swept up into it. You could be finding cops, sheriffs, deputies, city council members... the stupid runs deep up there.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular

Boy, if I were the FBI I'd be looking into this guy's phone records and who he's been meeting with.

OH MY GOD

A "fun" thing I like to do is remind myself that George Floyd was murdered in the street by police over a matter of $20. Sheriff Goose here probably thinks that was justified but then strongly reminds us that these clowns "get a fair trial" before you assume guilt.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

OH MY GOD

Actual police reform starts at the bottom with local elections.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »

OH MY GOD

I wish people would have the guts to run against uncontested sheriffs and the like- I honestly don't care for mine, to the point I did the only thing I could on the ballot- wrote in a vote for Andy Griffith, because it's literally the only thing I can do.

But damn, did it hurt to see all those local-level positions filled by Repubs because nobody wanted to run against them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »

OH MY GOD

I wish people would have the guts to run against uncontested sheriffs and the like- I honestly don't care for mine, to the point I did the only thing I could on the ballot- wrote in a vote for Andy Griffith, because it's literally the only thing I can do.

But damn, did it hurt to see all those local-level positions filled by Repubs because nobody wanted to run against them.

Running against an incumbent sheriff is a good way to spend your entire budget on traffic tickets.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    There's no way that sheriff wasn't at least asked to participate in the scheme somehow and he settled for advising / providing a cover story.

Edit - Also bonus points to his cover story ignoring the whole thing about hostages and plans on how to handle the police that respond. Ah yes, typical things cops "simply making an arrest" concern themselves with; their hostages and how to fight their fellow officers.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    There's no way that sheriff wasn't at least asked to participate in the scheme somehow and he settled for advising / providing a cover story.

Edit - Also bonus points to his cover story ignoring the whole thing about hostages and plans on how to handle the police that respond. Ah yes, typical things cops "simply making an arrest" concern themselves with; their hostages and how to fight their fellow officers.

It's like I said above- there are those who don't want to dig all that deep into this, because they don't want to find somebody important all wrapped up in this- like that sheriff. He at least had knowledge of it, and appears to have done nothing to report a threat against the Governor and her family. Combined with the photos of him speaking at the asshole jamboree that got held up in Lansing earlier this year, I'd say that's reason for him to get a good, solid investigation by the feds as to his involvement.

But yeah- you reach into the supremacist rabbit hole to start yanking them out for prosecution, you're going to find some surprising people in there.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LowHitPointsLowHitPoints Sword of the Afternoon MichiganRegistered User regular
    Joe Biden has a very good statement about this on his website
    Joe Biden wrote:
    Earlier today, I spoke with Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer. I am grateful that she and her family are safe, and I commend the FBI and other law enforcement officers for their work to prevent this deranged act by emboldened domestic terrorists.

As a nation, we are at a crossroads. We have come to a point where, despite our shock, we are not surprised that such a heinous plot was even conceived — a plot by Americans to blow up a bridge on American soil, threaten the lives of police officers and other law enforcement officials, and kidnap an American leader, take her hostage, and stage a mock trial for treason. It’s the kind of twisted plot we expect from ISIS, but now it’s here at home.

The words of a president matter. They can move markets. They can bring peace. They can bring war. They can heal divisions or incite violence.

When Governor Whitmer worked to protect the people of her state from a deadly pandemic, and saved countless lives, President Trump issued a call to “LIBERATE MICHIGAN!” That call was heard. When protesters with Swastikas and Confederate flags, nooses, and assault rifles descended on Michigan’s capitol echoing the President’s own refrain to “lock her up,” President Trump called them “very good people.” He was heard, just as he was heard by neo-Nazis in Charlottesville three years ago, and again last week, when he told the extremist Proud Boys to “stand back and stand by.”

There is a throughline from President Trump’s dog whistles and tolerance of hate, vengeance, and lawlessness to plots such as this one. He is giving oxygen to the bigotry and hate we see on the march in our country.

We have to stop it.

I just spoke a few days ago in Gettysburg about the cost of division in this country and the need to stand up and shut down violence and hate. The moment has come. We need to come together for the country I know, for the country you know. We need to make our voice heard.

Vote.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

"Yeah I haven't looked into it much but according to *rattles off a very specific subsection of the law*--"

Yeah no, he was 100% involved in this to know that very arcane bit of information off the top of his head.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82oh49IxYhg

GOP Legislature starts attacking the victim for not making the undercover investigation public before the perpetrators were caught.

• Options
    Well, Lee Chatfield’s always been King Stupid of Jackass Mountain, but this takes the cake.

They had evidence- video evidence- that local law enforcement had been infiltrated or was friendly with the perpetrators. And it’s also proven Republicans will happily leak or sell out any info that might put a Dem in a bad light. They knew any released info would be made public in a heartbeat and anything with local law enforcement would just tip off their buddies.

Besides, how stupid do you have to be to compromise ongoing investigations just to soothe some MAGA chud’s hurt fee-fees?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Well, Lee Chatfield’s always been King Stupid of Jackass Mountain, but this takes the cake.

They had evidence- video evidence- that local law enforcement had been infiltrated or was friendly with the perpetrators. And it’s also proven Republicans will happily leak or sell out any info that might put a Dem in a bad light. They knew any released info would be made public in a heartbeat and anything with local law enforcement would just tip off their buddies.

Besides, how stupid do you have to be to compromise ongoing investigations just to soothe some MAGA chud’s hurt fee-fees?

And I'm sure these Republican lawmakers and law enforcement would feel the same if the plot had black or Middle Eastern conspirators, right?

The fucking hoops these assholes will jump through to diminish the threat of these whackjobs, indicates either a fear of, or an affinity for, that makes them unqualified for their positions.

• Options
    Why do you think they kept allowing the chuds to bring their guns and tax equipment into the capitol building?

Because they absolutely knew they were never in any danger from their constituents. Yet they still approve of the action because they’re still fighting the gun ban in the capitol building!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Grass still green, snow still cold, the Lions still suck and Speaker Chatfield is still a horrible little oik:

' "That accusation is inflammatory and untrue, and it does nothing to solve this problem. You chose to blame President Trump instead," Chatfield said. "The truth is, I started getting death threats to my family at my home the day you said my legislative actions would kill people. Please realize that."

Speaker Chatfield also asked Governor Whitmer why members of the Michigan House of Representatives weren't warned about the plans, which he said also targeted members of the Legislature.

"Why weren’t we in the Legislature warned of the plot to take hostages at the Capitol?" Chatfield's letter said. "The plot by these terrorists was against us, too. Why weren’t House sergeants warned? You knew, and we weren’t even given a warning. We had people working in the building every day doing essential work, and their lives matter, too." '

Gee, maybe because blaming Trump is absolutely 100% warranted based on his past actions? Or have we memory-holed "LIBERATE MICHIGAN!" and all the stupid fucking whining and pissing and moaning Donnie aimed at the governor already?

And maybe an actual terrorist group in the "collecting materials to carry out plot while conducting surveillance of said target's homes" beats a "well, ackshually I was getting threats too lol"?

And you weren't in any danger of getting shot by said redneck terrorist chuds because you represent everything holy and good to them by being a member of the Republican party, and these guys were literally only after Democrats?

But yes, by all means, take a threat against the Gov. and her family and the state government to scream "butbutbutwhaddabout meeeeeeeeeeee? I'm the reeeeeeeeal victim here!"

Fucking disgraceful.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    https://wwmt.com/news/local/michigan-sheriffs-association-condemns-statements-from-barry-county-sheriff

MI Sheriff's Association comes out condemning the statements by Barry County Sheriff and militia-sympathizer Dar Leaf, but of course hasn't started calling for his resignation. The longer he's allowed to remain as Barry County Sheriff, the more of an embarrassment that man is to the state.

Meanwhile though, Sheriff Chud keeps trying to babble that he's standing behind the law (or something), even though he might have gotten the interpretation wrong, according to the Barry County prosecutor. There's a lot of resentment against the man, though- apparently he locked down his Facebook page thanks to the calls for him to resign...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Question about the MSU board of trustees: Brian Mosallam is running for reelection as a Democrat. Does anybody know what sort of role he took in the Nassar scandal? I don't want anybody who enabled that bullshit back on the board in 2021.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    Question about the MSU board of trustees: Brian Mosallam is running for reelection as a Democrat. Does anybody know what sort of role he took in the Nassar scandal? I don't want anybody who enabled that bullshit back on the board in 2021.

He was the least shitty of the Trustees and the first one to figure out how badly they had failed. But he was on the board for a large portion of the time where MSU was enabling Nassar. I've been weighing that one for a long time and might leave that spot blank.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    edit: Bum's here now and I hadn't refreshed, too busy staring into the void after watching that video of the sheriff

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Like, if the Michigan Democrats had renominated Joel Ferguson I would have voted for the Republican to replace him, even if the Republican were bugfuck crazy. I don't really want to vote for Mosallum but I won't be super sad if he wins because he did start pushing for reforms from within.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    That's great info. Not happy that he was there through the whole thing, but if it's making him actively push for reform that's worth something.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    UM is locking down undergrads* for 2 weeks.

*Athletics excluded, of course.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »

God Nessel is Pure Michigan

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Not a Michigander, but if she didn't introduce herself at the start, I could have sworn "Why is Mindy St Claire telling people to vote from home?"

Please tell me I'm not the only one who sees it?

• Options
    Maribeth Monroe is a Michigander, so yes.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    I turned in my ballot about 10 days ago. Easy drop off at the township and I'm done. They should've done the no-reason absentee ballot long time ago. I'm sure more people would vote if they had this option (which is why it was never expanded before now).

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Another stupid fucking lawsuit from MI Republicans.

This time, they're trying to be able to get their "poll watchers" and "poll challengers" (read: redneck militia members covered in guns and sans mask - like the kind that just got busted wanting to kidnap and kill the governor - watching for non-Trump voters) to be able to get within six feet of voters. Yes, because that's exactly what poll workers need in this election- to have a gun-toting Trump-loving redneck with possible COVID-19 to be looking over their shoulder, itchy trigger finger and everything, ready to scream like a toddler in the candy aisle if their good ol' boy doesn't win.

Combined with the "open carry allowed at polling places", I imagine it's only a matter of time before the inevitable happens and we get a shooting. I love most of our state government, but the state supreme court and the House need a good de-Republicaning.

It goes without saying, but if you live or have family or friends in MI, tell them to go vote now, before Election Day- do it in-person or drop your ballot off. The chucklefucks are going to try something Election Day.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    If we're going to elect them, we should just drop the game and make it a partisan ballot.

I'd be quite partial to a dedicated Judicial Party that internally vets properly non-partisan judges and nominates on a merit process but I prefer my Nazis not take off their uniforms.

• Options
    I'm voting in person tomorrow because I have to be at work before 8 and my polling place is literally next door so I figure whatever I'll show up at 7 AM and not risk SCOTUS.

Still think I'm going to leave Mosallum blank. And I don't want to vote for a Green.
    State 20-1 Proposal

A proposed constitutional amendment to allow money from oil and gas mining on state-owned lands to continue to be collected and state funds for land protection and creation and maintenance of parks, nature areas, and public recreation facilities; and to describe how money in those state funds can be spent

This proposed constitutional amendment would:

· Allow the State Parks Endowment Fund to continue receiving money from sales of oil and gas from state-owned lands to improve, maintain and purchase land for State parks and for Fund administration, until its balance reaches $800,000,000.

· Require subsequent oil and gas revenue from state-owned lands to go into the Natural Resources Trust Fund.

· Require at least 20% of Endowment Fund annual spending go toward State park improvement.

· Require at least 25% of Trust Fund annual spending go toward parks and public recreation areas and at least 25% toward land conservation.

Unsure on this one. Sierra Club is a no, League of Conservation voters is a yes. My inclination is that budget stuff shouldn't be in the Constitution so I'd go no?

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    State 20-1 Proposal

A proposed constitutional amendment to allow money from oil and gas mining on state-owned lands to continue to be collected and state funds for land protection and creation and maintenance of parks, nature areas, and public recreation facilities; and to describe how money in those state funds can be spent

· Allow the State Parks Endowment Fund to continue receiving money from sales of oil and gas from state-owned lands to improve, maintain and purchase land for State parks and for Fund administration, until its balance reaches $800,000,000.

· Require subsequent oil and gas revenue from state-owned lands to go into the Natural Resources Trust Fund.

· Require at least 20% of Endowment Fund annual spending go toward State park improvement.

· Require at least 25% of Trust Fund annual spending go toward parks and public recreation areas and at least 25% toward land conservation.

Unsure on this one. Sierra Club is a no, League of Conservation voters is a yes. My inclination is that budget stuff shouldn't be in the Constitution so I'd go no?

Well, one issue with that is that it already is in the constitution. So neither a yes nor a no vote changes that. It's an amendment to a program that's already present in the state constitution.

If you haven't seen this yet, it's got some good info on it: https://ballotpedia.org/Michigan_Proposal_1,_Use_of_State_and_Local_Park_Funds_Amendment_(2020)

• Options
    LeTwigLeTwig Registered User regular
    Daenris wrote: »
    State 20-1 Proposal

Well, one issue with that is that it already is in the constitution. So neither a yes nor a no vote changes that. It's an amendment to a program that's already present in the state constitution.

If you haven't seen this yet, it's got some good info on it: https://ballotpedia.org/Michigan_Proposal_1,_Use_of_State_and_Local_Park_Funds_Amendment_(2020)

So is a safe interpretation of that language Yes makes parks better and No does nothing at all?

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    LeTwig wrote: »
    Daenris wrote: »
    State 20-1 Proposal

So is a safe interpretation of that language Yes makes parks better and No does nothing at all?

Unfortunately I don't think it's that straightforward. The arguments from the oppose side seem to hinge around the fact that a yes vote will likely result in there being less money available in the fund for land purchase/protection, since more of the funds will be going to recreational facilities upkeep/development.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Not a Michigander, but if she didn't introduce herself at the start, I could have sworn "Why is Mindy St Claire telling people to vote from home?"

Please tell me I'm not the only one who sees it?

Thank you!

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    What the hell, is James actually going to hold on?