As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Michigan Politics: Dem Trifecta!!!

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    The audit stuff is just a grift anyway, folks like Bannon and Lin Wood and Sydney Powell and Patrick Byrne are setting up donation pages for credulous MAGA chuds to pay for the “audit” when that money is just going back into said frauds’ and their friends’ pockets

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Nothing is ever just a grift on the right because everything is in part a grift. Grift is just what gets attached to all political action on the right. Just cause it's a grift doesn't mean they don't also believe it.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I think the more nuanced view is simply that it can be both.

A grift that attracts true believers for both financial and political gain. Some of those drawn in will be useful because they buy merch and draw in others to the fold, some will vote accordingly, some will do both.

It feels like a common back and forth we have here that the inmates are running the asylum, no it's for money, but realistically it's a mix and match. One can become the other fairly fluidly, with a person seeking political support recognizes an opportunity, or a grifter discovers that they actually have more clout than they'd expected.

Plus, there's a lot of overlap in these groups. Q heavy protests will also see other pet fringe issues show up, and we've seen several videos shared in these threads asserting that Q is becoming a catchall for far right conspiracies, in a 'board of things connected in red string' style overarching issue. There seems to be no theory too fringe or far out there that it can't be shoehorned into this, with evidence (real or imagined) further cementing those beliefs.

Does it seem to align? Evidence! Does it not align? Evidence the coverup goes even deeper!

It'd be nice if there were more consequences to be found, at least as a deterrent, but the more cynical among us will note that there never are any consequences, and there's always another loon and/or grifter waiting in the wings, Eat At Arby's, etc.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Have fun designing the districts in a month.
    The Census Bureau plans to provide redistricting data to states by Aug. 16 in a format that would require the commission to process it before it is usable.
    The Michigan Constitution requires the 13-member redistricting commission to propose new maps by Sept. 17 and adopt them by Nov. 1 following a 45-day public comment period.

They asked the court for an extension right now but the court seems to be saying you haven't even tried so why are you asking us right now.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    The Senate just passed the "petition" to repeal the governor's Emergency Power. The House needs to do it and all of the Emergency Power Act goes buh-bye without a chance for a veto. More flag waving so that the Republicans can go to their base and say they stuck it to Whitmer.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    After basically all the COVID restrictions are lifted so really this is just saying, "Haha gonna suck for y'all if that third dam in Gladwin county finally breaks."

Hevach on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Hevach wrote: »
    After basically all the COVID restrictions are lifted so really this is just saying, "Haha gonna suck for y'all if that third dam in Gladwin county finally breaks that Delta or Lambda COVID-19 variant gets raging here in Michigan but we owned the libs anyway so lulz."

Fixed that. If one of those variants gets its legs under it, it's going to be like fucking 2020 all over again, only this time Whitmer won't be able to save the fucking idiots from themselves, and us from them.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    So we are for the Proposal P right?

I see scare stuff being pushed about how it will oooh destroy oooh Michigan being every other ad I can't avoid and anyone with that money against something must be wrong.

Seems like poor protections, police accountability, and community internet? All seems good to me.

• Options
    I... haven't heard much about it here. I'll do some digging later tonight and see what's up- but I almost guarantee you the pushback is for the second part of that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    It's to revise the charter for the city of Detroit and it's 145 pages long. Good government stuff + reparations, mostly. Tax forgiveness on overassessed homes, waiving water fees, develop public broadband, etc.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    It's to revise the charter for the city of Detroit and it's 145 pages long. Good government stuff + reparations, mostly. Tax forgiveness on overassessed homes, waiving water fees, develop public broadband, etc.

Almost nothing in it seems bad with just a little feeling like an overreach.

Even the most most modest proposal would get the same ***scare music*** treatment so swing for the fences.

The Michigan GOP and their marketing angle is just too canned and obvious at this point. They reveal themselves just like John James pretend blue star on his yard signs.

• Options
    Worst Michigan Sheriff opens probe into 2020 election.

You may remember noted mega-chud sheriff Dar Leaf from such hits as appearing on stage with the band of militia members who'd later get arrested for trying to kidnap and assassinate the governor of Michigan, and many fruitless claims of election fraud back in December. But apparently now, he's trying to firmly establish his uber-chud cred:

Several local election clerks in Barry County said a private investigator recently questioned them about voting machines used during the 2020 Presidential election.

The Barry County Sheriff's office confirmed it launched an investigation after receiving a citizen complaint about voting machines connected to the 2020 Presidential election, more than eight months after voters casted their ballots.

Former President Donald Trump won Barry County with 65% of the vote, but lost the state of Michigan.

Barry County Sheriff Dar Leaf has claimed their was voter fraud during the 2020 election and tried to use the courts to seize voting equipment.

Also, it seems like they're working with someone... who apparently doesn't want to be revealed. Gee, I wonder why?/s

Local election clerks said they were questioned by a private investigator, who appeared with a Barry County deputy during the process.

He said Sheriff's Office funds were not used to pay the outside investigator.

Then who the hell is paying for them, asshole? The public has a goddamn right to know when you throw public resources into another baseless claim to placate your buddies and try to fucking keep the pot stirring on this baseless election fraud crap that you and your boys have been pushing the last nine months or so, ever since your poor, widdle god-emperor got his ass beat in November.

Elected officials around Barry County say they don't know what's behind the Sheriff's Office investigation.

Oh, bullshit. You know what's behind this, but you don't want to admit it on camera: Sheriff Leaf is a fucking chud who has pretty much dropped all pretenses about who he really works for- and it's not the people of his fucking county or the State of Michigan.

The Michigan Secretary of State's office said after 250 audits, officials found no evidence of election fraud.

I hope this is enough to bring AG Nessel down on him, because this is the same fucking bullshit they're swinging around in Arizona, he's just testing for pushback.

Barry County Prosecutor Julie Nakfoor Pratt said she plans to meet with Sheriff Leaf on Monday to figure out what's behind the investigation.

"I'm still trying to understand what the complaint is. I never got a clear answer to any of that," Pratt said.

The complaint is their orange god-emperor didn't win the election, and they still seem to have a really, really hard time understanding that he lost. It's not hard, it's the same shit a bunch of chuds like Dar have been pushing for the last eight or nine months. You knew who he worked for back when he was on stage with the militia, when he pelted the courts with stupid fucking shit in December, and you know what he is now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh, look, more news about Sheriff Chud:

During an appearance at a "constitutional freedom rally tour" (why the hell are you wasting your time up north at this instead of doing your- oh right, you don't actually work for Barry County, do you?), Sheriff Leaf went ahead and said a little too much on just how this whole stupid bullshit got started:

During the rally, Leaf said the now retired sergeant first approached him on election night in 2020. "My retired sergeant from my office comes in really frustrated on the night and demanded an investigation into voter fraud," Leaf explained.

...his first sergeant apparently couldn't accept the fact their golden-orange boy lost, and filed an official complaint about bullshit voter-fraud going on in Barry County. But what proof did this massive, massive silly goose have that could justify all this ongoing bullshit? Was it a laptop? Bamboo fibers from China sprinkled among the ballots? Mysterious containers of votes being shipped in?!?

He said the investigation was launched after the retired sergeant presented him with documents from Michael Lindell, the CEO of MyPillow, and his attorneys in Michigan that mentioned Barry County.

You might know Mike Lindell as the man who's about to be taken to the absolute cleaners by Dominion, the company that makes the voting machines he spewed so much bullshit about that nobody would have him on-air ever again because they don't want to end up sued. That's what they're basing this whole thing on: some old chud cop who got all pissy and whiny because Trump didn't win even though he said he would, and grabbed onto something he thought would be the perfect monkey wrench: documents from someone that has apparently lost his goddamned mind and is less trustworthy than a ham sandwich. And Sheriff Mega-chud went ahead and decided that documents from Mike Lindell were absolutely trustworthy enough to file a complaint about election fraud on, and is working with an outside source that's paying a P.I. to go and stalk Barry County poll workers with a Barry County Sheriff's deputy alongside them to try and desperately find something, anything, they can seize on- nine fucking months after the election ended- because they're still so deep in denial they can't tell shit from shinola.

But it gets better: Sheriff Mega-chud has retained a "lawyer" to help him- Stephanie Lambert Junttila- a name some of you might just be familiar with. Hmmm... where have we heard that name before...?

Seven lawyers face sanctions for their push to overturn Michigan's 2020 election, including Leaf's attorney, Stephanie Lambert Junttila, in the December 2020 lawsuit.

On July 12, 2021, U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan Judge Linda Parker held a six-hour hearing to grill lawyers and allies of former president Trump, including Sidney Powell and Lin, two pro-Trump attorneys who have promoted conspiracy theories about the 2020 election, and Junttila on whether they investigated the claims of fraud and misconduct before submitting them to the court.

Oh, that's where- she was part of the group that got abso-fucking-lutely embarrassed by the federal judge in the U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan in that six-hour hearing back on the 12th, along with such notables as L. Lin Wood and Sidney Powell, over how they couldn't apparently do their jobs!

It's just... so fucked up. And apparently there's no way to remove this guy without the local voters recalling him, and Barry County went something like 64-36 for Trump...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    oh yeah, what ever happened with that 6 hour hearing?

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
  • Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    oh yeah, what ever happened with that 6 hour hearing?

The lawyers that brought the voter fraud lawsuit got sanctioned just the other day by Judge Parker and could still face potential disbarment.
    CNN wrote:
    Parker is ordering the lawyers to reimburse the attorneys' fees that the city of Detroit and Michigan state officials paid in seeking the sanctions. The lawyers must also take legal education classes, the judge said, and she is referring her decision to the Michigan Attorney Grievance Commission, and "the appropriate disciplinary authority for the jurisdiction(s) where each attorney is admitted," for potential disciplinary action.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    So what's been going on here in Michigan, lately...? Let's see here...

Ted Nugent came to a tiny Michigan town to do a rally about God, Guns and the God-Emperor... which didn't get as many as they'd hoped.

Pretty much what it says on the tin- noted superchud Ted Nugent was in Centerville (a town in southwest MI about some 50 miles or so from my little corner of heaven) trying to stir shit up as usual for a "rally"- and I mean he was literally chumming the water and trying to provoke a reaction on absolutely everything they could throw at the wall to get to stick:

Nugent provoked a reaction when he brought up Black Lives Matter during his speech.

“Aren’t there any BLM punks who want to come up and harass me?” Nugent told a crowd of supporters Friday.

One person (who totally wasn't a plant, I mean, super-seriously, guys /s)- one person walked into a horde of gun-toting racist chuds to try and pwn them all) did. It went about as well as you'd expect, and they apparently let him leave peacefully.

During his remarks, Nugent said Michigan joined New York, New Jersey, California and Illinois as "the most rotten, obnoxious, embarrassing states in the nation."

The rocker also called Gov. Gretchen Whitmer a tyrant during his afternoon speech. Nugent has previously called Whitmer a tyrant several times previously.

Did Big Gretch have anything to say about Nugent pretty much sticking his fingers in his ears and calling her a poopyhead like a six-year-old would?

A spokesperson for Whitmer declined to respond to Nugent's comments.

Heh. Gonna have to try harder, little chud.

As for why this is relevant to Michigan politics:

Several Republican candidates for state office spoke at the event, voicing their support for the second amendment and anti-mask mandates.

The state Republican party is embracing these fucking idiots and going all pro-gun and anti-mask for the 2022 statewide elections.

Now, honestly, they managed to fuck up the entire day of Centreville- in fact, well... they had to lock down the local schools because of anticipation of how much firepower the crowd was likely to be packing, and lots of students just stayed home- in fact, they threw in the towel about noon and just sent everyone home to keep them away from the concentrated chud. But there's some good news, at least- they were hoping for 600, but only managed a hundred people to show up, along with few to no protestors (apparently the regional Dems can smell bullshit because Nugent was fucking spoiling for a brawl, as shown above, plus with the amount of guns around it could have ended really, really badly).

So it sounded like everything went over with a wet fart in the end- they didn't get the crowd or the brawl or gunfight the chud warriors wanted, so I'm chalking it up as a good thing.

There's also something about the trials for the Whitmer assassination cases: they're being delayed because the defense attorneys need more time to "go over materials submitted to them by the feds".

I'm calling kind of bullshit on this- they know they're rightfully fucked, and I imagine their whole case will be about slandering the feds to try and make them the bad guys who entrapped True Patriots /s in a plot they didn't want to be in.

Elsewhere... Parchment, MI (a city right next to Kalamazoo/Portage, also very near me in SW MI) had their high school decide on a "USA Day" as part of their homecoming festivities, where everyone was to wear red, white and blue patriotic stuff.

Gee, I wonder what the fuck could have gone wrong here?

Parents who reached out to News Channel 3 said that small percentage of students showed up to school on September 14th, wearing shirts supporting former President Donald Trump, Trump flags and baseball caps that read, "Make America Great Again."

Yep. They broke out the chud gear and came to school with all the bells and whistles- shirts, hats, flags, everything- and we all know why (because high schoolers can be cruel, evil, vindictive little assholes and very, very silly geese).

Some of the parents' responses make me swear out loud, too:

“We teach our children to have a voice and they have to stand up for what they believe in,” said Christina James. James is the parent of a Parchment High School senior.

James said she supports the students who wore President Trump apparel.

“There’s nothing intimidating about that, that’s them voicing their beliefs,” said James.

Yes, the reason why the non-chuds were so uncomfortable was because they were being special snowflakes and easily offended, not because of anything like the fact the guy the clothes and hats and flags support tried to overthrow the government on January 6th and have expressed opinions of white supremacy, homophobia, misogyny and everything else and have killed minorities and threatened violence against everyone not like them, nope. It's the complainers' fault they're offended- that whole "tolerate my intolerance lol" shit. Goddamn, the nerve of these fucking people...

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Apparently the governor wasn't in the mood to reply as she was getting ready to show up somewhere else:

Here's Big Gretch herself and her Lt. Gov. Garlin Gilchrist III, choosing instead to rock out at Motor City Pride.

In other news, one of the chuds the Republicans are thinking about running for governor happens to be a semi-local for me- Garrett Saldano. If the name's not familiar, he's a chiropractor out of Mattawan who's trying to get his grimy hands on the Republican nom for Governor. He's also a fervent anti-vaxxer and all-around asshole, who made a habit of going on YouTube and making a bunch of misinformation videos.

Well, there's one glimmer of good news in this: Youtube just gave him the boot from the service for spreading COVID misinformation.

Now, faced with something like this, what do you think he chose to do next? Have a rightly kind and spirited discussion wi- *bursts out laughing*

Oh, no, of course he's not going to be reasonable- he's a chud. His Facebook concerning this is several flavors of "teh librulz r beeein all meeeeeeeean to poor widdle me!!!!!1!!"

He's since moved to Twitter- how long do you think before he's just left with his Facebook, I wonder?- and is punching down at a bunch of randos who have submitted an online petition to get his chiro license yanked due to the COVID stuff.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    https://www.wxyz.com/news/whitmer-senate-agree-on-budget-deal-that-bans-mask-mandates-in-schools-vaccine-passports?fbclid=IwAR0plTFK-uNj5CqinQl10pc11p9Qcq56zruxB2QYyGb1-H9Qqoj8sR-mRpo

Fuck off Whitmer, and as always fuck off the Michigan legislature.

Michigan budget deal bans county health departments from issuing mask mandates and moves things to school boards.

• Options
    I blame the legislature entirely for that. From what I read, it was either “the budget with all this stuff you don’t want” or “no budget at all and shit goes haywire”. They’ve had it in for her ever since she locked us down last year, and the only protection they think we need to do is to wash our hands.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    I blame the legislature entirely for that. From what I read, it was either “the budget with all this stuff you don’t want” or “no budget at all and shit goes haywire”. They’ve had it in for her ever since she locked us down last year, and the only protection they think we need to do is to wash our hands.

They think you need to wash your hands? Truly a bunch of RHINOs right there!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    https://www.wxyz.com/news/whitmer-senate-agree-on-budget-deal-that-bans-mask-mandates-in-schools-vaccine-passports?fbclid=IwAR0plTFK-uNj5CqinQl10pc11p9Qcq56zruxB2QYyGb1-H9Qqoj8sR-mRpo

Michigan budget deal bans county health departments from issuing mask mandates and moves things to school boards.

Why is she capitulating with Michigan shit ass GOPers? Unlike Oregon Gov Brown, whom let Amon Bundy and his Ilk, run roughshod over the Oregon Dems, Whitmer was not fucking around with the attempted kidnap and assignation of her by Michigan militiamen, so why cower to the fuckheads in the Michigan GOP?

Fucking shameful.

Edit: nevermind, Jaysonfour already explained the reason.

Still fuck the Michigan GOP.

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »

Why is she capitulating with Michigan shit ass GOPers? Unlike Oregon Gov Brown, whom let Amon Bundy and his Ilk, run roughshod over the Oregon Dems, Whitmer was not fucking around with the attempted kidnap and assignation of her by Michigan militiamen, so why cower to the fuckheads in the Michigan GOP?

Fucking shameful.

Edit: nevermind, Jaysonfour already explained the reason.

Still fuck the Michigan GOP.

She now said it's unconstitutional and won't be enforced. It will still be on the books but not enforced.

• Options
    As somebody who was fined for a flag code violation: unconstitutional laws on the books aren't just relics devoid of function, they're tools for police or judicial misconduct.

• Options
    Anybody else see yard signs up for Ryan Kelley already?

I can feel this is going to get ugly on the West Side of the state. I'm in Ottawa county and we have a gutsy Health Department that is sticking to medical fact on the mask mandate for schools in the midst of parent protests and threats of losing funding. I've seen signs comparing Fauci to Cat in the Hat and Guns and Faith and Unmask our Kids. I'm waiting for my neighbor to put up the "Stop the Bullshit" Trump 2024 sign.

• Options
    Well, they didn't have a snowball's chance in hell, but they tried it anyways:

Gov. Whitmer vetoes Michigan GOP attempts to limit voting:

There's a lot in here, but to copy it directly would end up being like three-quarters of the article itself, but to TL:DR it, the GOP tried to get the same kind of voter suppression shit they have elsewhere and get it sent into law, but Governor Whitmer pretty much went "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAno".

Though this is kind of lukewarm because all signs are pointing to the Republicans making an end run around Whitmer by getting a petition-driven initiative all set up to get an exact copy of the bill sent to the legislature, where they could codify it into law without Whitmer.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Pretty massive wave of threats at schools yesterday and today in the wake of the Oxford murders. Bunch of schools including mine are closed tomorrow. Weather is great for December, none of that is snow related.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Shooter's parents are charged with four counts of involuntary manslaughter for their gross negligence.

EDIT: Currently considered fugitives after they cut off communication with their attorney (Shannon Smith, last seen representing Larry Nassar, btw)

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Reportedly returning now to be arraigned, but Shannon Smith is an enormous liar so who knows.

• Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    https://mobile.twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1467021996525424640

Shannon Watts is the founder of Mom's Demand Action.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/1467088678422036485

Shimon Prokupecz works for CNN.

Apparently they withdrew $4000 cash from an ATM, drove to Detroit, were spotted outside of their car, fled on foot, and were captured in the basement of a big nonresidential building.

• Options
    Definitely seems like they were trying to get to Canada and didn't think things through.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Definitely seems like they were trying to get to Canada and didn't think things through.

I can't see why we wouldn't have just sent them back.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

I can't see why we wouldn't have just sent them back.

That would be part of the not thinking things through.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    They're lucky they got caught in the US, fleeing into a foreign country definitely harshens penalties.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Pretty massive wave of threats at schools yesterday and today in the wake of the Oxford murders. Bunch of schools including mine are closed tomorrow. Weather is great for December, none of that is snow related.

Quite a few of them are apparently the same threat, nonspecific and anonymous (state police already determined it wasn't posted locally) so every district where enough parents see it has to do something. Carrollton, MI stood up to a few parents on those grounds, email sent to all the parents lists all the schools in the Tri-Counties closing because of one single threat and basically saying, "Well shit, it can't be all of us, right?"

Edit: the parents

GOOD. They bought him the gun, allowed him to store it unsecured, apparently figured out he had it that day, and had already been called to the school THAT DAY over disturbing drawings and written plans and insisted he stay in class while the school wanted him out and to get psychological help. Fucked up that the school caved and let him, but way worse that the parents forced it. The local police said the mother texted him that they're not mad, just learn not to get caught.

Betting once investigators and the internet dig into their shit they'll turn out to be real pieces of work.

Fleeing to Canada would have been a boneheaded move. Michigan and Ontario work together on warrants better than Michigan and Ohio.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Hevach wrote: »

Quite a few of them are apparently the same threat, nonspecific and anonymous (state police already determined it wasn't posted locally) so every district where enough parents see it has to do something. Carrollton, MI stood up to a few parents on those grounds, email sent to all the parents lists all the schools in the Tri-Counties closing because of one single threat and basically saying, "Well shit, it can't be all of us, right?"

Yeah I saw two things from kids social media:

1) A general threat for every school within an hour of Oxford that Crumbley was the first of a wave.
    2) A very specific threat against a sports team in my district.

And there's media reports of one arrest in another district for a specific threat.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    More specific threats are absolutely something to act on, I know there's been a few (are you in Midland? A manager at my work has a daughter off school for the exact same thing, threat against a specific team's players). But the generic threats that so many districts are acting on I'm not so big on shutting down for, because there were similar generic threats last week and they were hardly even reported on, let alone acted on.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Ann Arbor

• Options
    $500k bail for each of them.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    $500k bail for each of them.

Glad it's that much. Given they already tried to run, wish it was more, or flat out denied.

Waiting for the conservative numbnut brigade to make them the next cause celeb. An still reading reports, but there's got to be an angle they'll exploit where they're the victims here.

MorganV on