As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Michigan Politics: Dem Trifecta!!!

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    It looks like Oxford Schools are in full cover your ass mode right now, and aren't allowing Nessel (Michigan's AG) to conduct a comprehensive investigation into the shooting.

I'm not quite clear why this is a voluntary thing they can simply decline, and of course the Department of Attorney General will continue to support the existing investigations, but with all the questions about the morning of the shooting and real questions about the school failing to take steps that may have prevented the shooting, a thorough 3rd party review is really needed.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/local/2021/12/07/oxford-community-schools-decline-michigan-ags-offer-to-launch-investigation-into-shooting-i-am-extremely-disappointed/

I know in New Jersey, whether the parents like it or not you can call crisis for a kid under your charge and that's going to lead to a mental health evaluation if you believe the child is a risk to themselves or others. The only say the parents have at that point is whether they ride over with the kid from the school or meet them there

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    It looks like Oxford Schools are in full cover your ass mode right now, and aren't allowing Nessel (Michigan's AG) to conduct a comprehensive investigation into the shooting.

I'm not quite clear why this is a voluntary thing they can simply decline, and of course the Department of Attorney General will continue to support the existing investigations, but with all the questions about the morning of the shooting and real questions about the school failing to take steps that may have prevented the shooting, a thorough 3rd party review is really needed.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/local/2021/12/07/oxford-community-schools-decline-michigan-ags-offer-to-launch-investigation-into-shooting-i-am-extremely-disappointed/

It likely won't be now that they have decided against being amicable. Same with courts and committees. You ask nicely, and then you ask with a subpoena.

Yeah it sounds like the sort of thing where you ask, and they say no, but then you fill out the paperwork and a bunch of state troopers and sheriff's deputies invite the school administration to stand calmly to the side.

• Options
    painfulPleasancepainfulPleasance The First RepublicRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I bet there's a zero-tolerance policy for nazis, so there won't be anything to look for other than the absence of a problem, which, if the investigation does an excellent job, will reveal that the school was covering it up.

Fuck, there's likely a zero-tolerance policy for numerous things this little race warrior did before accomplishing the task his parents whelped and raised him to do. The school did nothing because if they revealed that a student violated a zero-tolerance policy, the school broke a zero-tolerance policy.

Zero-tolerance policies serve to create a "forbidden word" situation, where a problem is not perceived or acknowledged because there's a zero-tolerance policy, so it doesn't exist.

painfulPleasance on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    RedTide wrote: »

I know in New Jersey, whether the parents like it or not you can call crisis for a kid under your charge and that's going to lead to a mental health evaluation if you believe the child is a risk to themselves or others. The only say the parents have at that point is whether they ride over with the kid from the school or meet them there

Michigan absolutely has this, too. I can only cite discriminatory and abusive uses of it from personal knowledge but even if it gets used wrong it's still a thing. The school didn't have to bow to the parents, they didn't have to let him go back to class that morning. And prosecutors have already gone after the parents, so clearly somebody is looking to run up the score here, I'm willing to bet more than a few people are having some bathroom problems over what they did or chose not to do that day.

Hevach on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I think part of it is Michigan being a home rule state. In my state (NH), towns inherit their power from the state, so when the state wants to do something, there's fuck all towns can do as the state wins automatically by the rules.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_rule_in_the_United_States

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    I have a hard time blaming over-worked and under-paid school officials for shitty parenting. Especially with the right-wing culture war in full effect. It's easy to say 'the school officials should have done something' when you aren't said school official having to deal with Trumpets who have no problem threating lawsuits and even violence. (How many stories about teachers and school officials getting physically attacked have we had so far this year?)

From my reading the school told the parents to take the kid home and they said 'No' and left. So, at that point the school's options are 'let him stay in school' or 'let a 15-year-old kid loose on the world with no supervision.' Hindsight is great but unless something drastic comes out I think the parents deserve the blame not the school. Honestly the only people I've seen saying the school is at fault is the normal right-wing chuds who are scared of the idea that they could possibly get charged for something their kid did.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Option three, is once the parents leave you call social services and they handle it - CPS and several other agencies of Michigan's DHHS have on-call workers for schools in every district and because they're not needed *that* often their response time is effectively driving time from their office to the school, in cases where violence is a concern also limited by police's response time which is almost universally slower.

There've already been questions about why the school didn't do this which have been met with the old "can't answer questions until the investigation is over and hopefully you'll all forget to ask again."

Hevach on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Imagine your child, who you theoretically love and care about, does something awful and is going away for a long time, be it jail or an institution...and you run. You leave your probably mentally ill, maybe?, son to deal with everything on his own. You run from your responsibilities to the victims, you run from your responsibilities to the court, and most damning in my mind, you try to abandon your child who you helped get to where things are now.

Disgusting.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Option three, is once the parents leave you call social services and they handle it - CPS and several other agencies of Michigan's DHHS have on-call workers for schools in every district and because they're not needed *that* often their response time is effectively driving time from their office to the school, in cases where violence is a concern also limited by police's response time which is almost universally slower.

There've already been questions about why the school didn't do this which have been met with the old "can't answer questions until the investigation is over and hopefully you'll all forget to ask again."

That may have been in progress, just didn't happen immediately. The shooting happened the same day as the meeting

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    The parents hired an expensive lawyer for themselves, their son gets a public defender, because they're the best people.

Anyway, calling social services was not in progress, the school admitted as much days ago, and according to WILZ in the car and WHNN at work this morning is why the country prosecutor will begin investigating school officials who were involved in the morning meeting today, to see if their inaction rises to the level of criminal negligence. I can't find an online link for this, seems to have happened a few hours after this next link and the in-state news isn't really 24/7, not may stories later that this except the snow.

Edit: found close to it from yesterday, leaving the door open but not outright investigating like the news is saying this morning
    https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/oakland-county-prosecutor-leaves-open-possibility-oxford-school-officials-could-be-charged

https://www.wzzm13.com/article/news/ag-nessel-will-review-oxford-school-shooting/69-797f880a-c3a8-4542-9169-cf164cb715d7

Nessel is going to investigate whether they like it or not, citing the school's use of an inappropriate outside firm and concealing of facts from the local prosecutor.

Apparently the school can only say no thank you to the state if they have clean hands, once they're suspected of something the state can make them eat their broccoli.

Hevach on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    The parents hired an expensive lawyer for themselves, their son gets a public defender, because they're the best people.

Yeah, I saw this.

https://nypost.com/2021/12/07/accused-michigan-school-shooter-gets-court-appointed-lawyer/
    "Accused Michigan school shooter gets court-appointed lawyer, his parents hire legal team"

Yeah, these two need to fuck off, right quick.

Doesn't excuse the actions of the kid, nor should it add leniency to his trial/sentencing, but with parents like these, he clearly didn't stand a chance to be a normal kid. It was just a matter of which way his being fucked up manifested itself. And it did in the worst way possible.

I mean, fucking hell.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular

Anyway, calling social services was not in progress, the school admitted as much days ago, and according to WILZ in the car and WHNN at work this morning is why the country prosecutor will begin investigating school officials who were involved in the morning meeting today, to see if their inaction rises to the level of criminal negligence. I can't find an online link for this, seems to have happened a few hours after this next link and the in-state news isn't really 24/7, not may stories later that this except the snow.

Edit: found close to it from yesterday, leaving the door open but not outright investigating like the news is saying this morning
    https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/oakland-county-prosecutor-leaves-open-possibility-oxford-school-officials-could-be-charged

https://www.wzzm13.com/article/news/ag-nessel-will-review-oxford-school-shooting/69-797f880a-c3a8-4542-9169-cf164cb715d7

Nessel is going to investigate whether they like it or not, citing the school's use of an inappropriate outside firm and concealing of facts from the local prosecutor.

Apparently the school can only say no thank you to the state if they have clean hands, once they're suspected of something the state can make them eat their broccoli.

Yeah, figured she was going to do it anyways because she doesn't suffer fools... and because the families of everyone affected by this deserve to get the answers instead of having them buried by the Oxford school district so they don't get sued.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Schissel is out at UM for an inappropriate relationship with a subordinate. Fired just a little while ago.

Mary Sue back in charge for.now.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Schissel is out at UM for an inappropriate relationship with a subordinate. Fired just a little while ago.

Mary Sue back in charge for.now.

Even his sex scandal emails are boring, btw.

ALSO: dude is a shit tipper. 10% during the pandemic? You made a million a year, asshole.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Co-chair of the Michigan Republican Party said on tape that the Trump campaign organized all the fake electors.

Anyone surprised? Not me. I dread DREAD election season here. I'm in conservative land in the west side of the state and already I see the signs for Ryan Kelley for governor. The big lie is truth around here.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    That’s… actually not the most batshit thing that co-chair of the Michigan Republican Party has said this week.

Here’s Meshawn Maddock going all-in on the rumor that under Democratic policies from the Democrats in power, schools have to provide litter boxes for those students who identify as “furries” to relieve themselves in.

This, of course, is utter bullshit, but it’s getting lots of playtime.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    It's been going around the state for a few weeks, mainly seems to be centered around the tri-cities. The Midland superintendent has had to make two public statements on it because apparently there's just something in the water up there.

Hevach on
  • Options
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    That’s… actually not the most batshit thing that co-chair of the Michigan Republican Party has said this week.

Here’s Meshawn Maddock going all-in on the rumor that under Democratic policies from the Democrats in power, schools have to provide litter boxes for those students who identify as “furries” to relieve themselves in.

This is a thing on the right wing internets for sure. Version of it for Colorado schools but there it's a furry section in the cafeteria with bowls that they just stuff their face into and what not.

I think whoever is trolling the right wing internet isn't aware of quite how stupid and gullible and powerful they are.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    It's been going around the state for a few weeks, mainly seems to be centered around the tri-cities. The Midland superintendent has had to make two public statements on it because apparently there's just something in the water up there.

Dow chemicals.

• Options
    JaysonFour wrote: »

This is a thing on the right wing internets for sure. Version of it for Colorado schools but there it's a furry section in the cafeteria with bowls that they just stuff their face into and what not.

I think whoever is trolling the right wing internet isn't aware of quite how stupid and gullible and powerful they are.

And that's the problem. If these people were the "frothing at the mouth in the weird corners of the internet", fine, whatever.

The fact that these fuckers are not just elected (people like Gohmert etc are always going to have some area that'll vote for nuts), but are powerful enough to have their ideas considered into law, is where we get the problem.

• Options
    Also Midland? In fucking Midland? Seriously? MIDLAND?

• Options
    It was brought up in a school board meeting in Midland (I'm certain there's a copy of it on YouTube), and he just went and ran with the thing like it was factual... and that might be a problem, because apparently lie or not, it might be one of those things that gets morons out to the polls.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2022/05/23/james-craig-perry-johnson-shouldnt-make-ballot-michigan-gubernatorial-primary-state-bureau-elections/9895349002/

Two leading Republican candidates for governor failed to get enough legit signatures to get on the primary ballot.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Great so now I get to fear the biggest nutter in the state is going to be the GOP frontrunner instead of boring ass old school normal terrible Republican.

When a lot of the state dislikes Whitmer for whatever dumb (sexist) reason.

God I hate politics.

• Options
    So barring a lawsuit, they're officially kicked off.

• Options
    Whitmer was polled against the remaining nobodies. Margin is inflated (37 points) because nobody knows who the fuck they are, but she's at at least 57+ which is good news.

• Options
    Whitmer was polled against the remaining nobodies. Margin is inflated (37 points) because nobody knows who the fuck they are, but she's at at least 57+ which is good news.

The concern remains, have the Republicans installed enough lackeys at the local and county levels, that it will matter.

Part of the reason for the Big Lie shit of the past 18 months is so that they can contest an election they lost (ie, 2020). But the other part is that if they put in place the right goobers, they can cheat outrageously, and then use any argument that the election wasn't fair as a massive deflection. If Democrats win, it's rigged. If Republicans actually cheat, it's just Democrats saying the same thing.

The true goal wasn't to overturn one election. It was to sow doubt that the result of EVERY election is broken, and that Democrats won't stand fast, and/or will defer to the eventual SCOTUS challenge (as per Bush v Gore).

And I can't say with certainty that Democrats won't. I hope they don't, but the seeming insistence of sticking to "norms", and that SCOTUS isn't a horribly corrupt institution, will be severely tested, and has failed almost every time so far.

• Options
    MorganV wrote: »

The concern remains, have the Republicans installed enough lackeys at the local and county levels, that it will matter.

Part of the reason for the Big Lie shit of the past 18 months is so that they can contest an election they lost (ie, 2020). But the other part is that if they put in place the right goobers, they can cheat outrageously, and then use any argument that the election wasn't fair as a massive deflection. If Democrats win, it's rigged. If Republicans actually cheat, it's just Democrats saying the same thing.

The true goal wasn't to overturn one election. It was to sow doubt that the result of EVERY election is broken, and that Democrats won't stand fast, and/or will defer to the eventual SCOTUS challenge (as per Bush v Gore).

And I can't say with certainty that Democrats won't. I hope they don't, but the seeming insistence of sticking to "norms", and that SCOTUS isn't a horribly corrupt institution, will be severely tested, and has failed almost every time so far.

15 point fuckery is pretty hard to imagine.

• Options

I hope I'm wrong. I expect to be (more likely than not they won't swing it enough), but I'm not betting my house against it, either.

And maybe not Michigan, but Wisconsin, Minnesota or Pennsylvania? I figure at least one of the four just straight out dunking on democracy isn't out of the question.

And all four will almost certainly have some kind of extended legal challenge, if not some kind of insurrectionist bullshit as a result of Big Lie style response to the election being stolen.

It's not just about the win by illegal means. It's about making the justification of seizing of power (or at least delegitimizing of the opposition) even when they lose.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

I hope I'm wrong. I expect to be (more likely than not they won't swing it enough), but I'm not betting my house against it, either.

And maybe not Michigan, but Wisconsin, Minnesota or Pennsylvania? I figure at least one of the four just straight out dunking on democracy isn't out of the question.

And all four will almost certainly have some kind of extended legal challenge, if not some kind of insurrectionist bullshit as a result of Big Lie style response to the election being stolen.

It's not just about the win by illegal means. It's about making the justification of seizing of power (or at least delegitimizing of the opposition) even when they lose.

The folks who tried to assassinate her were acquitted.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

Hopefully Michiganders bring back Benson and Nessel too

• Options
    edited June 2022
    State Supreme Court ruled against three of the signature fraudsters, 6-1. Remain off the ballot. Two of these three were the two most relevant ones. Other two have a separate case upcoming but can't see them getting much traction.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    State Supreme Court ruled against three of the signature fraudsters, 6-1. Remain off the ballot. Two of these three were the two most relevant ones. Other two have a separate case upcoming but can't see them getting much traction.

Six to one? That seventh (am assuming it's the same in all three cases)? That fucker is suspect.

• Options

Six to one? That seventh (am assuming it's the same in all three cases)? That fucker is suspect.

Weirdly, he's usually pretty liberal. Wanted to hear oral arguments in the case.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Weirdly, he's usually pretty liberal. Wanted to hear oral arguments in the case.

Ah, a "so open minded his brain fell out" sort.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options

Hmm... so this wasn't a full hearing, but a hearing on whether to have a full hearing? ie, it wasn't about the merits of the case, but of the case had merit?

OK, that's a little different.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Yeah I could see wanting to go to oral arguments to see what sort of excuses the fraudsters put out before ruling against them anyways

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    It can't be election season on the West side of the state without someone protesting by holding up an "Indict Biden" sign on the corner of the road.

I also tried to watch the Republican governor debate and just couldn't after the "How are you going to work with Democrats?" question.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    It can't be election season on the West side of the state without someone protesting by holding up an "Indict Biden" sign on the corner of the road.

I also tried to watch the Republican governor debate and just couldn't after the "How are you going to work with Democrats?" question.

Was the candidates' response evil laughter that would make a Saturday morning cartoon villain blush or did they lie?

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    I have to be honest, can someone win a GOP primary if their answer there isn’t something like “arrest them?”

Captain Inertia on