Options

[Thief] Finally returning!

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    But it's still fun. That's the magic. Heck, even the dated graphics have a charm. When it came out, it was immersive. Now, it almost feels artificial, like a board game or something like chess. It's a simple system that you can exploit in a very gamey fashion.

• Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    And while I'm wishing, I'd like DLC where Garrett infiltrates famous levels from other video games to steal shit.

I just snorted coffee out of my nose reading this, as I had a brief mental image of Mario rolling up to save Princess Peach only to be told: "I'm sorry Mario, but our princess has been stolen."

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    It'd be like the Lilo and Stitch marketing, where Stitch keeps on gatecrashing the other Disney movies.

Pacman turning up at the corner of the maze, only to find that the power pill has been stolen.

Cole in InFamous turning up at the start of the game, only to realise that somebody's pickpocketed the Ray Sphere.

The Team Fortress 2 guys realise that nobody has their briefcases, and stand around awkwardly.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    MordaRazgromMordaRazgrom Морда Разгром Ruling the Taffer KingdomRegistered User regular
    Rhesus, that TF2 scenario is just glorious, made my morning :)

Garrett infiltrates Aperture Science, steals Portal gun.

Garrett sneaks into Hyperion headquarters, rides off with Butt Stallion.

Monster Hunter Tri code/username: 1MF42Z (Morda)
    WiiU Username: MordaRazgrom
    Steam Username: MordaRazgrom
    WoW/Diablo 3 Battlenet Battletag: MordaRazgrom#1755
    Me and my wife have a gamer YouTube page if interested www.youtube.com/TeamMarriage
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Wreck-It Ralph meets Raffles - get Hollywood on the phone, stat!

Yes, I'll hold.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    At the very least, a score attack mode should make it in. Where each discreet level can be sliced out like RE4: Mercenaries. Add a time limit, score bonuses and whatever. Then see who can steal the most shit in the least time.

Better that then some hacked together competitive multiplayer.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    At the very least, a score attack mode should make it in. Where each discreet level can be sliced out like RE4: Mercenaries. Add a time limit, score bonuses and whatever. Then see who can steal the most shit in the least time.

Better that then some hacked together competitive multiplayer.

Or a variant on Hitman: Killer Nuns' thing, where you set goals for other people by breaking in and stealing, and then they have to take more stuff while being stealthier.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    Well on your recommendation, I bought Thief Gold on steam. I haven't played it much, but I like it so far !

The Environments are fine and actually charming, given the somewhat retro style. The character models are less good but just ok enough to not really bother me. I like the way there's no magical mini map that shows where you are, just your hand drawn paper maps and you have a compass instead. And the stealth tools are neat! Had to rebind alllll the controls first though. The voice/sound feedback for how stealthy you are seems pretty impressive.

I knocked a guard unconscious then dropped him in a pool of shallow water where he apparently drowned. Oops! Or maybe not.

The menu is oddly steam punkish for a fantasy-thief game. Maybe that changes later though.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    MordaRazgromMordaRazgrom Морда Разгром Ruling the Taffer KingdomRegistered User regular
    After you beat the game, you HAVE to play the blooper level.
    http://thief.wikia.com/wiki/OM_TG_Blooper_Reel

it was one of my favorite moments of thief ever...farting lizards, disco zombies, Matrix arrows...oh the FUN.

Me and my wife have a gamer YouTube page if interested www.youtube.com/TeamMarriage
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    The default controls are really weird, but it's also really easy to rebind them into something that's super intuitive. The first game is basically perfect, I would say. It's simple, thoughtful, challenging, and addictive, and still doesn't have many/any games that outdo that today, making it a great game to try for the first time even now.

• Options
    Oniros25Oniros25 Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Once they've got the attention of a group of people who aren't solely ex-Thief fans...

Just a small silly quibble, but there is no such thing as an ex-Thief fan. Taffers for life.

Also, because I get so rare an opportunity to ask questions of fellow Thief fans, does anyone else involuntarily shit themselves every time Garret decides to open his mouth on a mission? I always play with headphones in and every. Damn. Time. I nearly fall right out of the chair. Then I laugh because I'm an idiot and whatever Garret just said is guaranteed to be amusing.

Oniros25 on
    Nintendo Network ID: Oniros
    3DS Friend Code: 1461-7489-3097
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    "It's a throne room. How pretentious can you get?"

His delivery on that line is amazing and something that always sticks in my mind... not only because I played the Thief demo of Bafford's Manor a ton.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I still get immersed in thief 2. The dated graphics don't bother me after a few minutes. The models are a bit odd looking but if you actually disturb them they will take you apart quite handily, which I find engenders the appropriate level of respect.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Oniros25Oniros25 Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Thieves' Highway makes me feel like a godamn legend every time I play Metal Age. A rooftop run, a bank heist, a castle raid and a steampunk skyscraper to skulk about in all in one level? Most modern games don't give me that much joy over the course of their whole game, much less a single level. That will always be my favorite level in a video game. Period.

Oniros25 on
    Nintendo Network ID: Oniros
    3DS Friend Code: 1461-7489-3097
  • Options
    Metal Age has one of the best opening levels of all time, too. Well, not including the tutorial mission that lasts two minutes. Shipping and... receiving is glorious. It's like a couple of hours' worth of exploring and tip-toeing around a huge docks area with just hundreds of nooks and crannies and little side rooms and warehouses and things to look around for sooo much loot.

• Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    Beat the first mission. Had to kill a couple guards, but was otherwise super-stealthy. Loving this game so hard. The only thing that bothers me about the graphics is how guards rotate to fight you, and their heads almost fall off their shoulders. Otherwise, everything is stunningly immersive despite the age.

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Metal Age has one of the best opening levels of all time, too. Well, not including the tutorial mission that lasts two minutes. Shipping and... receiving is glorious. It's like a couple of hours' worth of exploring and tip-toeing around a huge docks area with just hundreds of nooks and crannies and little side rooms and warehouses and things to look around for sooo much loot.
    It's a nice carefree mission as well. You aren't doing a favor for a guy, the plot hasn't kicked in yet, it's just you and the rent money you don't have yet.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    man, having tons of trouble installing thief even with help from that TTLG site. only thing i haven't tried is manually installing it...

19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    From disc? What trouble are you having?

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    It's a nice carefree mission as well. You aren't doing a favor for a guy, the plot hasn't kicked in yet, it's just you and the rent money you don't have yet.

After the initial playthrough I find all the backtracking and opening and closing of doors you have to do boring as fuck and I usually skip it.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Oniros25 wrote: »
    Once they've got the attention of a group of people who aren't solely ex-Thief fans...

Just a small silly quibble, but there is no such thing as an ex-Thief fan. Taffers for life.

Also, because I get so rare an opportunity to ask questions of fellow Thief fans, does anyone else involuntarily shit themselves every time Garret decides to open his mouth on a mission? I always play with headphones in and every. Damn. Time. I nearly fall right out of the chair. Then I laugh because I'm an idiot and whatever Garret just said is guaranteed to be amusing.

Garrett has indeed made me nearly piss myself on multiple occasions. Also, me and buddy would always laugh that in thief 1 he's wearing fucking WOODEN boots. There's no other emanation for why his footsteps are so loud on anything remotely hard.

Edit. Emanation is supposed to be explanation. I don't know why, but I don't want to fix it. Autocorrect...you win this round

MordaRazgrom on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    My favorite thing about the Thief games was eventually you'd start to panic about making noise in Real Life. Like my brother would come in and start talking, and I'd whisper Quiet! They'll hear you!

Also, there is at least one continuity problem I've noticed from the Game Informer article.

Contains a late game spoiler for Thief 3
    In Thief 4, Garrett's home base is supposed to be the "haunted" clock tower, which has been abandoned for years. However, the clock tower was destroyed in Thief 3.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    There could be more than one?

Also, this isn't a continuation, this is a reboot of the original, right?

• Options
    As much as I love Garrett he's basically a god at the end of 3 and the idea of him continuing to go up against human guards is almost comical.

My hope for the reboot is that it's a hundred years or so after the third game and the protagonist is a descendant or namesake of the original with the original (and Stephen Russell) showing up as the main plot unfolds.

• Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    As much as I love Garrett he's basically a god at the end of 3 and the idea of him continuing to go up against human guards is almost comical.

My hope for the reboot is that it's a hundred years or so after the third game and the protagonist is a descendant or namesake of the original with the original (and Stephen Russell) showing up as the main plot unfolds.

You mean, like Raiden and MGS2... which everybody hated cause "We want to play as SNAAAAAKE!"

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    He isn't really. He's as good at sneaking in 1 as he was in 3. In 3 he still lives in a little flat and scrapes the rent together with little jobs. And he has 0 combat ability save for knifing someone in the back.

The mechanical eye is far from an 'augment'. It does absolutely nothing for 2 games and in the third it has an incredibly shitty and useless zoom function, if 5m can really be called a zoom. Flashbangs, a portable rope ladder and an arrow that puts fire out doesn't exactly make him batman. He's just a guy good at breaking and entering and being unseen.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    I love Garrett, but I was actually looking forward to playing as
    Garrett's new ward that appears in the final cutscene of Deadly Shadows

• Options
    Rami wrote: »
    He isn't really. He's as good at sneaking in 1 as he was in 3. In 3 he still lives in a little flat and scrapes the rent together with little jobs. And he has 0 combat ability save for knifing someone in the back.

The mechanical eye is far from an 'augment'. It does absolutely nothing for 2 games and in the third it has an incredibly shitty and useless zoom function, if 5m can really be called a zoom. Flashbangs, a portable rope ladder and an arrow that puts fire out doesn't exactly make him batman. He's just a guy good at breaking and entering and being unseen.

By the end of 3 he
    has fulfilled crazy-ass proficiencies, defeated two Gods and an army of mechanized killing machines, has become The One True Keeper and refers to himself as such, and has The Final Glyph (of unknown power) burned into his hand.

He's pretty much the God of Stealth and I think continuing to use him as an everyman protagonist from that point forward would be pretty silly.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular

By the end of 3 he
    has fulfilled crazy-ass proficiencies, defeated two Gods and an army of mechanized killing machines, has become The One True Keeper and refers to himself as such, and has The Final Glyph (of unknown power) burned into his hand.

He's pretty much the God of Stealth and I think continuing to use him as an everyman protagonist from that point forward would be pretty silly.

The trick about Garret's stealth is that it's not a deus ex machima. The player had to use skill in every case. It's not like he suddenly gained a massive powerup. He didn't get more skilled in stealth suddenly. He's the same he's always been. He was always the God of Stealth.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited March 2013

I think that was one of the possiblities of what Thief 4 was going to be when the Thief IP was still worked on by Looking Glass Studios, before they went under.

If I remember right, it was supose to be set several hundred years in the future with a new Garrett, the "steam" of the setting's steampunk was going to be replaced with "cyber," and the plot was going to be (spoiling this cause so of it might be relavent to the reduction/removal of magic being mentioned for the reboot):
    The Dark Project/Trickster plot. Aparently, the Final Glyph wasn't just a reset button on magic and the Keeper Order, but a cosmic reset button as well, starting a new cycle eventually culminating in all the events from the original Thief trilogy happening again, just in a different age/tech level.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

Er, the mechanical eye couldn't do 'nothing for 2 games', it didn't exist in 1 and in 2 it allowed you to throw wireless cameras to investigate areas which had a zoom function as I recall.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Dranyth wrote: »

Er, the mechanical eye couldn't do 'nothing for 2 games', it didn't exist in 1 and in 2 it allowed you to throw wireless cameras to investigate areas which had a zoom function as I recall.

Yeah it was great for scouting rooms and figuring out where guards were, what direction they were facing, etc.

I am glad to see a grapple hook (almost like a rope arrow) rather than those stupid climbing gloves from 3.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    edited March 2013

By the end of 3 he

The trick about Garret's stealth is that it's not a deus ex machima. The player had to use skill in every case. It's not like he suddenly gained a massive powerup. He didn't get more skilled in stealth suddenly. He's the same he's always been. He was always the God of Stealth.

Excuse me?!? I was always the god of stealth. Garret was just my muppet :P

MordaRazgrom on
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    Dranyth wrote: »
    From disc? What trouble are you having?

i click "install" in the setup thing, and the window just closes. it's probably a windows 7 issue (thats what the TTLG forums indicate) and i've tried running it in the compatibility wizard in several different windows setups (XP and 98 and stuff) but it just never starts up

actually there's one part in the FAQ that says sometimes i should just leave my computer open and the installer will eventually get to work after like an hour... maybe i should try that

19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    Interesting... I don't think I had any trouble installing in Windows 7 about a month ago, the -lgntforce switch to run setup was fine and I don't remember the install button giving me any issues. I don't believe I set any compatibility modes either actually.

You might try to do other things for a while and see if the installer continues after a long time, but yeah that's definitely weird. Not sure what's causing that.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    For people running on multi-core processors, remember to go to task manager after starting up and set the game's affinity to just one core. That problem fucked with me for a while.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    If the new Thief has quicktime events I am going to kick a kitten over a cliff.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Is there any expectation that it will?

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Is there any expectation that it will?

Nope, just finished Tomb Raider and now I'm paranoid.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    For people running on multi-core processors, remember to go to task manager after starting up and set the game's affinity to just one core. That problem fucked with me for a while.

For Thief 1 and 2? As long as you have the new unofficial patch, it takes care of the affinity problem. And adds native support for all your supported resolutions including widescreen for that matter.