Options

[Thief] Finally returning!

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    @MordaRazgrom - Man, I like the cut of your jib.

• Options
    MordaRazgromMordaRazgrom Морда Разгром Ruling the Taffer KingdomRegistered User regular
    Backlog be damned, I'm starting a replay of Thief Deadly Shadows tonight!

Monster Hunter Tri code/username: 1MF42Z (Morda)
    WiiU Username: MordaRazgrom
    Steam Username: MordaRazgrom
    WoW/Diablo 3 Battlenet Battletag: MordaRazgrom#1755
    Me and my wife have a gamer YouTube page if interested www.youtube.com/TeamMarriage
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Aegeri made me want to restart my thief 2 playthrough on expert. I wanted to play on normal so I could try and find every single thing in the level, every secret room, every special thingy, but I figure what the hell. Let's do that AND play on expert.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Vorpal wrote: »
    I haven't played the Thief Series, I mostly just know it by frequent mentions as THE example of a stealth game done right. Should I pick up and play the originals on steam?

In case this hasn't been addressed directly ...

Abso. Fucking. Lutely.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    @Vorpal You should pick them up on GOG.com because the Steam versions are difficult to mod.

• Options
    Gutting the mystical lore is really silly to me. Some of the best parts of the older games were accidentally running into things you don't want to run into while tracking down ancient treasure in some crypt or ancient family tomb off the beaten track. There was a strong feeling of "oh dear".

he2dIIWh.jpg

I have this weird hunch magic hasn't been totally removed from the game.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    @Vorpal You should pick them up on GOG.com because the Steam versions are difficult to mod.

Nah, they aren't. You just put the "Don't auto update" selection. They're the GOG versions anyway.

• Options
    Oniros25Oniros25 Registered User regular
    A few thoughts from going over this thread over the course of today:

1) Y'all who are trigger happy with the quick load button are not getting the genuine Thief experience. It's like save scumming in XCOM. Don't do it. Running and cleverly using your tools to illude alerted foes is half the fun. You are literally only having half of the fun here. Keep those flashbangs handy. I mean, yeah quicksave like crazy but don't chicken out just because some chump thinks he's got you dead to rights. Proove that taffer wrong!

2) Thief without magical underpinnings isn't Thief. It permeates the whole setting in quiet ways, smart ways. It's been my blueprint for tabletop rpg's ever since. If they butcher it, I shall be very, very cross.

3) I was already fairly disappointed in Dishonored, so if it's more of that I'll pass, thanks. It was a good game, but being a hard-core Thief for life, I just felt like I was playing a shadow of the master.

4) Time to go reinstall again...

Nintendo Network ID: Oniros
    3DS Friend Code: 1461-7489-3097
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Gutting the mystical lore is really silly to me. Some of the best parts of the older games were accidentally running into things you don't want to run into while tracking down ancient treasure in some crypt or ancient family tomb off the beaten track. There was a strong feeling of "oh dear".

I was talking about running into undead and other supernatural creatures, not magic.
    The shadows aren't always safe places. I really liked that.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    Vorpal wrote:
    I haven't played the Thief Series, I mostly just know it by frequent mentions as THE example of a stealth game done right. Should I pick up and play the originals on steam?

@Vorpal If you can get past the extremely aged graphics then I would say absolutely yes, get them and play them. One could argue about whether or not the stealth mechanics are "done right" so to speak. But the thing to keep in mind, is that as far as PC gaming goes, Thief IS arguably the first true stealth game, which makes it a pretty significant piece of (PC) gaming history. It was the first game to introduce the idea of total avoidance of hostile threats as not only a viable option, but the very objective of the game.

It is also the first game I can remember, that made a point of providing audio and visual feedback to the player so they could get a sense of their degree of concealment. In many games prior to that, successful stealth was pretty much a binary state. You were either detected, or not. Thief was one of the first to provide degrees of detection (ie. guards going into a suspicious, or alerted state as opposed to instantly knowing exactly where and what you were) based on the aforementioned audio/visual feedback.

In short, I suspect one of the big reasons alot of people have fond memories of Thief is because the game made a point of putting the player in control of their success. The game provided you with the tools you needed to make your own victories, as opposed to relying on unseen random background checks that the player had no control over.

• Options

I was talking about running into undead and other supernatural creatures, not magic.

If there aren't a few missions dedicated to hiding from horrible supernatural shit I will be very surprised.

• Options
    edited March 2013

If there aren't a few missions dedicated to hiding from horrible supernatural shit I will be very surprised.
    Leaked scans of the full article reveal:

*Less magical elements/undead/dinosaurs

I have no idea why you are particularly picking up on something completely reasonable I said in relation to known details about the game. I mean, maybe you think I'm making up something to complain about, but I don't really do that, as a whole. I'm a bit too literal for that.
    I can only surmise that you completely missed this information. So I thought I'd present it and clear it all up.
    We cool now?

Morninglord on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I actually always felt the worst missions in the original Thief were the supernatural ones. I might make an exception for Trail of Blood in Thief 2, which was unique due to the atmosphere and set up behind it, but the best missions IMO were always those that didn't involve creatures. Large, open spaces that might have a few creatures like the Rooftop Mission (where you needed to get into the tower, there is a building with some giant spiders IIRC) or the Bank Mission or Casing the Joint. These were IMO where Thief just shined brilliantly in its approach and style, so I naturally don't mind them reducing the magical or supernatural elements to focus on the best parts of the originals, which I feel did not involve many (or any) monsters at all.

Personally I have a less is more approach to these things. The less they are used the better they come off in the actual game, like the first time you encounter a zombie in thief is intense. The other times it kind of loses its interesting aspects, especially if you didn't play thief gold where they added more non-supernatural element missions in the game.

Edit: And of course Shalebridge Cradle in Thief 3 (which IMO, entirely justified that games existence). That mission was so tense and gripping because it made itself a genuine exception. A level like that is always welcome, but it needs to be the exception and therefore the impact that it needs to be so memorable. I can't even name most of the missions with supernatural stuff in the first game, because there were so many of them and I got over them pretty damn fast. But Thief 2 (Trail of Blood) and Thief 3 (Shaldebridge Cradle) I can name the main ones because they were glorious exceptions - not rules.

Edit2: It also occurs to me to mention that Thief 2 had a lot more zombies/monsters and similar before the huge patch they released. The patch actually removed a lot of the monsters (or cut the numbers) from certain missions, like where you needed to infiltrate the mansion there used to be a zombie in the basement - but they removed it. Quite a few other changes to level geometry and similar were made, to make some levels like the Bank a lot more interesting (I think they added more optional routes in there). If you never played Thief 2 unpatched, you should as it is quite an interesting experience to see how it was before the patch.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I'll give it a chance, but most of the info coming out now makes me very hesitant.

I like the idea of a reboot (mostly cause I didn't like the Thief 3 story), but they sound like they are gutting the lore (that was the best part of the game) and the new gameplay shit they talk about is ... worrying.

We'll see closer to release, but as I said ... hesitant.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Is this a reboot? My impression was it was a full on sequel set after the events of the third game - but the city has moved on canon wise.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Also, I always hated alot of the monster shit in Thief because I couldn't blackjack it but on later playthroughs the variety really made parts of the game. Thief 2 had better levels but lost a bit of the supernatural fun I think.

But I don't think anyone has yet mentioned the most terrifying thing of all: Undead Hammerites

Those things were pants-shittingly terrifying, especially because they would kill the fuck out of you so fast. And not in a cheap way, just in a "they can fight, you fucking can't" way.

I remember as a youngish kid basically dropping the first game cause of all the undead hammerties in the "Steal the Eye" level and not coming back for months. They made me way too nervous.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Just to be clear the levels that immediately sprung to mind when I made those comments are from thief 2.

Warehouse level: The spider meat guy with the loose spiderlings.
    The police level: The prison with the wandering ghost.
    The mechanist church: the optional catacombs with the undead hammerites and that graveyard with the noises.
    Mansion level: the crypt deep under the mansion which has a haunt in it that whispers as it moves around.

Those are the examples I thought of when I thought that I would like to see undead still be in the game. Wise use of the lore, clever use of their existence to spice up areas. Just enough to make you a little extra wary about going into the super dark places in search of loot.

Just like adding a bit of spice to a meal, it's great when used in moderation, but you'll ruin it if you add too much.

edit: Okay. So I was trying to find where I had installed thief 2 so I could pin it to my taskbar again. So I type in "thief" into the start menu search box. Thief 2 started. Handy!

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Just to be clear the levels that immediately sprung to mind when I made those comments are from thief 2.

Warehouse level: The spider meat guy with the loose spiderlings.
    The police level: The prison with the wandering ghost.
    The mechanist church: the optional catacombs with the undead hammerites and that graveyard with the noises.
    Mansion level: the crypt deep under the mansion which has a haunt in it that whispers as it moves around.

Those are the examples I thought of when I thought that I would like to see undead still be in the game. Wise use of the lore, clever use of their existence to spice up areas. Just enough to make you a little extra wary about going into the super dark places in search of loot.

Just like adding a bit of spice to a meal, it's great when used in moderation, but you'll ruin it if you add too much.

edit: Okay. So I was trying to find where I had installed thief 2 so I could pin it to my taskbar again. So I type in "thief" into the start menu search box. Thief 2 started. Handy!

I think all of those were fantastic uses of the spiritual/undead. I know the specifically made that changed based on feedback from players wanting more humans and less monsters. And I do prefer Thief 2 overall, gameplay wise at least. The less common use of them made them all the more terrifying when you'd run into something because you'd get to the point you ALMOST forgot the world had such things, then...hm...a crypt... and you'd be worried the whole time, even if there ended up being nothing actually in there.

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Is this a reboot? My impression was it was a full on sequel set after the events of the third game - but the city has moved on canon wise.

Garrett has been away from the City for a while (I can't remember, something like a year or longer) and when he comes back a lot has changed. I think it is a direct sequel to Thief 3.

When it was first announced it was referred to by the developer as Thief 4. They even had that silly Thi4f logo didn't they.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    They dropped it from being Thi4f/Thief 4 to just Thief, and the developers are saying it's a reboot, so I assume that means a complete scrap of the storyline and everything like most reboots.

EDIT - Though I DID notice that on the cover of GameInformer, it looks like he still is missing his right eye that has been replaced:

original.jpg

Not that they couldn't have just kept that little bit of lore even if they scrapped the story. But hmmmm.
    Though in the concept models I've seen, he had both eyes. WHO KNOWS!

vamen on
  • Options
    Maybe it will just be a standalone story with winks and nods to the previous games.

Essentially Deus Ex Human Revolution. And that game was a direct, canonical prequel and yet almost nothing in the story had a contiguous effect on that of Deus Ex. It was all world building and backstory.

I'm imagining Thief will be the same. Everything will be reintroduced for new players. The City. The atmosphere. The main factions. But then at one point in the game Garrett will, I don't know, stumble past a temple or maybe even a run down old asylum and say some one liner like 'Don't wanna go in there'. Or something. And that will be it.

I don't think it will be a complete, burn it to the ground reboot like, say, the new Tomb Raider. There was a lot of quality world building in those three Thief games and to throw all that away would be wasteful. Especially as these guys know how to use a franchise well as we saw in Deus Ex.

If this is like 'The Adventures of Young Garrett' and he's just started his training then that's treading on ground already seen in Thief 1. If it's placed between games then it will suffer a lot of the same problems Deus Ex Human Revolution had, in that nothing of consequence can happen in the story because it all has to end up where Deadly Shadows began.

I expect it will be after Thief 3, story wise. But standalone. In the sense that it will start a new overarching narrative and only use snippets of the old City for flavor and atmosphere.

I mean, Thief 3 did wrap things up quite neatly, after all.

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    My body is ready.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Where are people getting that it's a reboot?

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    vamen wrote: »
    They dropped it from being Thi4f/Thief 4 to just Thief, and the developers are saying it's a reboot, so I assume that means a complete scrap of the storyline and everything like most reboots.

Man, if a complete reboot means we get to go back to the Shalebridge Cradle, I'm all for it.

... unless I chicken out because seriously fuck that place.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    @The_Scarab - I agree, T3 wrapped it up with a bow and everything. Of course, loving the series as I do, that didn't stop me wanting yet another game in the series.

@Fencingsax - Because game sites kept tossing that term around. I haven't read the GameInformer article so I have no idea if it's specifically mentioned in there.
    Right now there seems to be lots of conflicting news. Some sites specifically say reboot, others say it's still a diect sequel. I just read on one site, article written Mar 8th, that Eidos confirmed it will be a direct sequel to Thief 3.

It's all very confusing. All I know is I'm pumped there's a new game in the works at all.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    To be fair, videogame sites are run by morons.

• Options
    It's a reboot in the sense that it is an all new team making an all new game for an all new console generation. With all new gameplay mechanics and tone and that jazz. Whether it is a narrative reboot remains to be seen, though I think very unlikely.

I mean, look at Garrett's bow and the architectural design of the world. It looks more advanced. The plot synopsis is already Dishonored enough, it would make sense for a Thief 4 to be set years after Thief 3, with enough of a gap so that everything feels fresh yet still has little references to the old games.

Either way, the fact that it exists at all is enough for me. Couple of years ago I felt such a creeping doom over the industry. And yet now, all my favorite genres and game types are everywhere. Dishonored was already Thiefy enough for me. We got a new Deus Ex that wasn't shit. A new X-Com that wasn't shit. A new Baldur's Gate, a new Planescape Torment. A new Tribes. A new Planetside. And now a new Thief?

The only thing missing is System Shock 3. Though I guess that was already made years ago in BioShock wasn't it?

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if it turns out someone is already working on a new Dungeon Keeper the way things are going.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Is there like a good LP of Thief I can watch? I don't plan on playing it, but I'd like to at least see what the hubbub is all about.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Thief 1-3 were all games I played demos for and had a lot of fun with, but never got around to buying the games (being a kid with no income also helped). This new one being made by one of my favorite new devs is just sweet.

• Options
    Is there like a good LP of Thief I can watch? I don't plan on playing it, but I'd like to at least see what the hubbub is all about.

http://lparchive.org/title/thief

Bobbin Threadbare's over at SA are the best.

• Options
    edited March 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyd0ox2MaSI

Yes, I am joking. I just find these speedruns of thief 2 really funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtwGzSAW8FU

Morninglord on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Is he just causing a massive ruckus in one part of the map to attract all the guards, and then running in through another part?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote:
    It's a reboot in the sense that it is an all new team making an all new game for an all new console generation. With all new gameplay mechanics and tone and that jazz. Whether it is a narrative reboot remains to be seen, though I think very unlikely.

Yeah, even if it does turn out to be a narrative reboot, I suspect it really won't bother me that much. Thief 3 really was a fairly solid ending, so it's not like they have any narrative loose ends to tie up really. As long as the game is fun, and whatever setting they choose is interesting they'll have me on board.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Is he just causing a massive ruckus in one part of the map to attract all the guards, and then running in through another part?

He's doing a lot of stuff in quick succession in the second vid, including firing arrows ahead of him to cause guards to throw open the door for him, sucking down invisibility positions at opportune moments and using shadows, quiet flooring and speed to whoosh past startled and confused guardsmen who really aren't expecting this sort of thing, I mean really, just charging in, who does that?

Basically what I like about it is that even though it's quite clearly abusing the ai's limitations...those limitations feel sort of similar to really badly trained house guards whose only qualification is their ability to hold a sword, so the whole thing comes off as massively smart ass trollery rather than glitching.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I never played a theif game, but the mix of magic and steampunk always interested me. Sad to see them decide to remove that, it seemed to really make the setting unique.

• Options

He's doing a lot of stuff in quick succession in the second vid, including firing arrows ahead of him to cause guards to throw open the door for him, sucking down invisibility positions at opportune moments and using shadows, quiet flooring and speed to whoosh past startled and confused guardsmen who really aren't expecting this sort of thing, I mean really, just charging in, who does that?

Basically what I like about it is that even though it's quite clearly abusing the ai's limitations...those limitations feel sort of similar to really badly trained house guards whose only qualification is their ability to hold a sword, so the whole thing comes off as massively smart ass trollery rather than glitching.

The genius is that Garrett's character is exactly the kind of person that would exploit AI limitations in a video game. So it works thematically as well as mechanically.

God I hope they get the same voice actor back for this one.

• Options
    The_Scarab wrote: »

The genius is that Garrett's character is exactly the kind of person that would exploit AI limitations in a video game. So it works thematically as well as mechanically.

God I hope they get the same voice actor back for this one.

That's the MAIN thing I'm concerned about. It wouldn't be the same if they don't use Stephen Russell for his voice.

• Options
    You've got to imagine they have. They did with Deus Ex, got everybody back.

• Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    Am I the only one disappointed they didn't continue the series with making the girl that tries to pickpocket him at the end of 3 the protagonist? It seemed like the perfect opportunity for a lead change.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    Rakai wrote: »
    Am I the only one disappointed they didn't continue the series with making the girl that tries to pickpocket him at the end of 3 the protagonist? It seemed like the perfect opportunity for a lead change.

Not really. I mean, Garrett is one of my favorite protagonists ever, so I'm glad he's back...
    at the same time I keep thinking they could totally pull a Metal Gear Solid 2 on us and then use that girl as the actual main character.