As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Jobs'n'sobs

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    VoproSTEIN wrote: »
    The most important thing to remember is that it has to fit right.

This is absolutely the key point. An ill-fitting suit is going to make you look uncomfortable and unprepared.

If you want to look a little more casual and not as stuffy, follow Vopro's lead and get some nice khakis, brown belt, brown shoes. You could go dress shirt and tie, or nice polo. Either way, put a nice-fitting blazer over that.

Also, you can never go wrong with a navy blue suit. Pair it with a light shirt and dark tie, and you really can't go wrong. You won't stick out for better or worse, but you'll look serious and professional enough to pass the first impression check.

• VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    It might be a little too casual for an IT professional? My interview experience has been mostly retail and restaurant (Target, Sprint Store, Barns and Nobles, Olive Garden) and all of them have been fine with such attire.

• KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Have to come into work tomorrow at 3:30 pm for some mandatory meeting. I work 3rd shift. That's my sleeping time you're cutting into.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    How weird/bad/out of place would the jacket from a navy blue suit look with nice khaki pants?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Darkness MundusDarkness Mundus Registered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »
    Have to come into work tomorrow at 3:30 pm for some mandatory meeting. I work 3rd shift. That's my sleeping time you're cutting into.
    I did an 8a-5p skills class yesterday. Then I went to work at 11:30pm. Sitting in a chair listening to people talk when the sun is out is delicious poison to my body. Sleep schedule? Fuck that!

Tox wrote: »
    How weird/bad/out of place would the jacket from a navy blue suit look with nice khaki pants?

As long as you don't do this.

PKKfubS.jpg

And do this.

zna3VFf.jpg?1

You (should) be fine.

• LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Personally I think that second picture looks awful, too, but I've never really understood suits/business wear too well

Ledneh on
    The jacket is too tight (for me) and I don't like the tie and I think pleated pants are dumb, but the dude is good looking.

Basically be a good looking person and you'll get the job.

• laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    I'm gonna cross-post this from the H/A thread I just made:
    Good news! I'm graduating this spring!

Bad news, I don't have anything professional to wear to an interview!

Long story short, I'm in the market for a first (any maybe second? most places have deals for a second one) dress suit, specifically one that will be a good pick for a job interview.

The problem is, I have no idea what to buy, and I'm not entirely certain how much I can trust what the sale guy will have to say on the matter (will he be more interested in getting a big sale? Or in earning my return business?)

For reference, I am planning to enter the IT field. I've shopped around a few places (with the girlfriend), and it's looking like what works best on me is navy blue, or charcoal w/pinstripes.

But is that going to work?

I know suits can be a little weird. You want to look professional, but you don't want to be too fancy, but you have to be formal, but you want something plain, but it should look good on you, but it should say something about you as a person!

....HELP!

This might not work for you, but it worked for me. I got lots of my stuff from different places.

Picked up a dress shirt from the Gap on clearance, got some khaki pants, brown dress shoes, brown belt and blue tie on clearance at Target, and a blue suit jacket from Goodwill that fits me perfect.

Slap on some argyle socks and I got myself an interview ready "suit" that I get compliments on. And all for around $40.

The most important thing to remember is that it has to fit right.

I was actually seriously considering this, or something like it. Basically navy blue dress jacket with nice khaki slacks. It's professional, but nowhere near dressy, and very fitting for "working man" type stuff, like running cables and all the other crap IT guys have to do.

But everybody keeps shooting it down.

It's fine if the interview is on a boat.

Seriously though, yiur best bet is a dark (but not black) two button suit. Pinstripes and double-breasted go in and out of style, so avoid those. Only go three button if you're tall or have a long torso.

If you want to avoid the suit, a jacket can work, but the blue blazer and khakis thing has associations. It's easy to accidentally look like a trust fund brat, or a boat captain. If you're set on a blue jacket, try some brown chinos. Really, I think it'd be best to either go with the suit or just shirt and tie.

You might want two interview outfits, in case you go through a two round interview process, or if you get called back for one after you've dirtied an outfit.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Nah.

For IT that's fine.

IT is full of boat captains?

I wanna work in IT :-(

• LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    IT is full of boat captains?

I wanna work in IT :-(

do you know how to correctly sacrifice a goat to the heathen gods

Ledneh on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    That's not even close to boat captain anyway.

Too late, I'm already imagining tech support with pirate voices.

But yeah, I tend to overanalyze that sort of thing, so ignore me.

Bu still thinking all "arrr, what be ye technical difficulty".

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    My life would be a lot simpler if I could make the people who annoy me walk a plank.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    have ye tried turnin' it off and then turnin' it on again?

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Keel-hauling is very appealing

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    My interview today was in a black collared shirt and nice jeans.

Games industry owns

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    i LOVE CHICKEN TANDOURIUA.

eAT THAT SHIT!

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    nOOOOOOOOO

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    Well I SuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuCk.

Sorry.

I suuuuuuuuuuuuch.

I am terrible. Thanksassholes.

• MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    hi tonkka

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
    Hewy Veretas

Phhhhhhhhht.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    Tonkka

Have you been drinking?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Looks like Tonkka did all the shots.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Veretas wrote: »

Games industry owns

it actually wigs me out. many people show up in t-shirts and blue jeans, and i want to show up every day in a nice button up and slacks

anyway i'm done my tool/extension thing so the other dude can do his job and i can do mine at a reasonable hour

i will point to it if i need an example of how awesome i am, but i'm not doing it again

fin

• vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Veretas wrote: »

Games industry owns

I dress better now than I did at my interview, but part of that is the drastic increase in disposable income and part of it is a newfound love of fashion.

Just finished a twenty hour day. Started off shitty and got good. Fixed three major broken windows and I'm pretty sure I secured good times with reviews coming up.

Now to pass out and head in at lunch.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Binary SquidBinary Squid We all make choices Registered User regular
    My job is to sit in the lobby and try not to doze off...
    I am not very good at my job

You're the person who the protagonists need to sneak by, in order to get both in and out of the building.

When a security camera goes blank or shows the same footage on a loop, you're the one who either doesn't notice it or complains about building maintenance slacking off again.

I'd say you were very good at your job; pretty much by the book as far as those things go.

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Tonight I applied for a job at Clearly Contacts!

The role is advertised as "Eyeware Designer" but then they ask for product design experience and general design experience, both of which I have.

What bugs me is I could talk this up and justify why I'm applying in a cover letter, but you have to apply on their site and you can only upload a resume! I'm awesome at cover letters, this sucks.

Find their HR address. Send them a coverletter that has watermarked instructions on how to fold it into a pair of glasses. Papercraft style.

• SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I graduate in May which means I lose my awesome job working at the school.

I don't want to get a real job and have to work hard!

I remember this.

It can be really stressful trying to find the next job after leaving school. Don't be afraid to start putting in applications now.

You will find a job. Just remember that.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i managed to sleep till like 4am and then half awake half asleep for another 3.5 hrs so thats cool

closer to normal...

it's like i've been jet lagged but i never went anywhere out of this time zone

poo
  • sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Are the lights extra bright and the AC is extra cold on the train this morning, or am I dying?

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I will never understand how someone gets into a tech-heavy position like QA and doesn't know how to properly copy and paste.

• AirAir Registered User regular
    i interview in a nice fitting dark gray suit, light blue shirt, and black tie
    it is a pretty basic interview look for a reason, so maybe wearing it shows that you know what you are doing, and having it fit right shows attention to detail?
    basically you want this one outfit to make you look not just like a serious guy in a suit, but like a cool guy from a mens magazine who you cant be sure if they are dressed up for their high paying executive job or its the weekend and they are going out for drinks but they always wear a suit because it suits them so well

and then on top of that you try to come off as relaxed and confident during the interview and seem like a cool dude

that way you dont risk looking underdressed, you probably seem like a better person than someone in a tshirt, but you also dont seem like youd have trouble fitting into a more relaxed work environment and you can step up (2 the streets) when needed

darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • AirAir Registered User regular
    shazkar is your job still pounding you

darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I try to remember to iron my pants.

• Slacker71Slacker71 subgenius RentonRegistered User regular
    For an interview suit it depends on where are interviewing.

The last time I wore a suit and tie to an interview, the hiring manager did not wear a tie and person I ended up working with was in a Brazil football t-shirt. This was for a state government IT position.

What I have done since then is just a nice button up shirt and bring a tie, in case when I get to the lobby it looks like a classier place.

This discussion has been closed.