As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Then you'll be teaching Willie! [School]

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Depends on how many pages you will edit. I've seen offers to edit graduate school theses (few hundred pages) for $2ish per page. You can probably charge more if you're doing smaller volumes. If you're at a large school, I'd sniff around to find what the going rate is.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    That gives me a good perspective and path to follow, thanks!

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Professor: I won't be making you all buy a textbook this year
    Us: YEAH!
    Professor: Instead every week you will read several 15-40 page professional research journal studies and write summeries about them. Never mind that they involve language you don't understand and are about concepts we won't even touch upon in this class, just do it.
    Us: Uhhhh....

• Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    You guys it seems almost surreal to be attending college. Like when I was working as a journalist, I kinda assumed this would just be how it would be. Instead, I'm gonna study and end up a few years ahead of where I am now. Duders, I can't wait until I start college in like 12 days. Shit's gonna be real. Then I get my BA, and things are gonna be interesting.

Edited because hella drunk.

Lord_Snot on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    First actual honest-to-goodness class day of grad school tomorrow!

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Week 3 and the cracks are starting to show: I've discovered that classes consist of anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour of actual teaching, and the remaining 4-4.5 hours are time for our assignments. These assignments do not take 4-4.5 hours, so there's a whoooole lot of watching the clock, browsing the Internet, chatting. We're not allowed to leave early or we lose participation points. I am wasting hours a day and it's bothering me, especially considering how much work I've got to do at my real job. At least I can send my daily reports from my webmail, but there are too many days like today where I leave work, sweaty and gross from climbing all over a ship in the heat, and have to rush to school to get to class on time.
    I talked to my advisor about what the process is to switch to online, and it requires a separate orientation and I have to write to him justifying the switch and presenting how I'll be successful at it, because of the high attrition rate for online courses. The only other option seems to be the "hybrid" program, where one session of each class is on campus and the other session is online...but the on-campus days are Friday and Saturday. Not really a trade off I want to make.
    If there's no way to work around this stuff, I'm honestly just going to start looking at the other schools nearby and find one with a more forgiving schedule. I know I probably sound spoiled, but losing 60 hours+ every week between work and school is a hardship. I haven't had time for the gym since I started, I can maybe get 6 hours of sleep max on a school night, I often don't have time to make myself real food so I keep resorting to garbage, I can't keep this up for three years. It probably wouldn't bother me so much if classes were several hours of lecture, but they're not. It's several hours of teachers watching us do stuff that could just as easily be done at home when we have the time for it.

godmode on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Teacher assigned way too much work for the first week, including stuff in two chapters he did not go over in class despite ending class half an hour early because he is awful

So queue the first mini panic attack of the semester which does me a fat lot of good when the deadline for refunds on literally everything was apparently september 8th and I'm so mad I couldn't get out of work on time to return my book and now I have to return the cheap one I ordered off of amazon because I'm not going to sit on a brand new text book worth of store credit

and just

why would you teach mechanics of materials from a power point you clearly don't even know the slides of

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Over summer I've been researching and read six books and six journal articles and other work and my classmate just messaged me asking what to do, and "Cool, so I can get it done by Monday? :)"

sure?

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Has anyone ever dropped/swapped/switched out of a class because the professor is is clearly there to waste student's time with off-topic BS/use their position as a bully pulpit/talk with their head up their ass?

'cause I did this semester.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    yes, actually

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    ratemyprofessors.com has probably saved me the trouble :P

The only time I've had to drop a class (Engineering Physics) was when I found out the professor was going to dive right into calculus problems because pretty much everyone in the class had taken calculus, except for me. Even though on the course syllabus it said the class could be taken concurrently with Engineering Calc I. I ended up dropping the class and taking it the following semester with another professor who said we'd be using very little calculus. ...

builderr0r on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Math class first test (which ends up being 10% of our entire grade) was returned. I was super worried I had done horrible, but turns out I did much better than anticipated. MUCH, much better. So much better that probably half the class hates me for removing the possibility of there being any sort of grading on a curve.

Not bad for someone who hasn't cracked at textbook since years started with "19"

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    Has anyone ever dropped/swapped/switched out of a class because the professor is is clearly there to waste student's time with off-topic BS/use their position as a bully pulpit/talk with their head up their ass?

'cause I did this semester.

My wife had a Religious Studies course called "Jesus: His Life and Teachings" once. It was supposed to be taught by the head of the department, but they had to drop out.

The replacement was from the Theology department.

She quit (along with a friend) after the replacement prof spent a huge chunk of a class asking them why they "didn't have any faith" as atheists. :(

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    You know, I always thought that the whole "Grad student in their office at 6PM on a Friday eating take-out sushi and reading some impenetrable text" was, like, just a cliche.

And yet here I am....

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »
    You know, I always thought that the whole "Grad student in their office at 6PM on a Friday eating take-out sushi and reading some impenetrable text" was, like, just a cliche.

And yet here I am....

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha 6:00 PM

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    Baidol wrote: »
    Khavall wrote: »

And yet here I am....

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha 6:00 PM

Well time hasn't made it later yet. Also actually today I have a hard cut-off because we have a sort of meet+greet party. So I can't stay later than 7 today.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Wednesday is get-an-internship day... really hope I can land the one that's on campus rather than the one at the archive that's two hours away by bus in good traffic*!

*It's never good traffic

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    School update: it turns out that, much like in high school, I loathe projects and will procrastinate the hell out of them.
    Other school update: Starting next week, I'm no longer doing 20 hours a week in seat! I'll have two courses: one Friday evening from 5:30-10:30, and one Saturday morning from 8:30-1:30, I think, then the rest of the work is online. Losing Friday nights and Saturday mornings isn't ideal, but I'm at least going to have free time during the week again that I was desperately missing.

godmode on
  • Options
    I start back on Wednesday, I'm nervous! Final year.

• Options
    You're almost done!

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Does anyone know of a good publisher for work books for math, chemistry, and physics? I spent about 30 minutes at Barnes and Noble trying to figure out what was worth getting, if I should get work books for those subjects, if I should get ones for each level of the subject or if I should get a work book that covers a chunk of them, I also wasn't sure if I should just get an SAT or ACT study/work book and which would be better to get. It was pretty frustrating. I ended up buying a sudoku book, a cryptograph a day book, and a copy of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

The desire for this is to get up and running on this stuff again since I haven't done it in a while and I seem to not retain it all that well so I also plan on writing in my own notebook so I have easy reference when I need it. I also might check out some universities that have entrance exams so I want to be able to effortlessly crush them since I'm about to be 27 I want to at least look like I didn't waste a chunk of my life in community college.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    shout outs to leaving class an hour and a half early cuz you already finished the lab last week

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    I reallllly am not enjoying having to prompt this stats teacher to do things right.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Stragint wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a good publisher for work books for math, chemistry, and physics? I spent about 30 minutes at Barnes and Noble trying to figure out what was worth getting, if I should get work books for those subjects, if I should get ones for each level of the subject or if I should get a work book that covers a chunk of them, I also wasn't sure if I should just get an SAT or ACT study/work book and which would be better to get. It was pretty frustrating. I ended up buying a sudoku book, a cryptograph a day book, and a copy of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

The desire for this is to get up and running on this stuff again since I haven't done it in a while and I seem to not retain it all that well so I also plan on writing in my own notebook so I have easy reference when I need it. I also might check out some universities that have entrance exams so I want to be able to effortlessly crush them since I'm about to be 27 I want to at least look like I didn't waste a chunk of my life in community college.
    if a university you want to go to requires the SAT/ACT you should probably get a prep book

at least

also, free books https://www.gutenberg.org/files/84/84-h/84-h.htm

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Someone's ringtone went off in the library and it was Kim Possible lol :'D

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Had my first test in mechanics of materials tonight, I think it went well?

Answered every question, the only one I felt truly lost on I understood as soon as I read it more carefully and saw I had missed a very important "of" the first time through

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    On Tuesday we had our second major test in my math class, and each major test counts for almost 10% of your total grade. I'm always really nervous after I hand in these tests, because math is hard and until I get my grade back I'm always freaking out that I bombed the whole thing.

On Thursday, after teaching us stuff from the next chapter, the teacher said she was going to hand out blank copies of the test, with the questions you got wrong written on the front. You could do those problems over again, and if you got them right, you'd get those points back on your grade. When you were done you could leave.

Some people had huge columns of numbers showing what they got wrong. Some had small columns.

I didn't have a column, I had one number. Actually one letter, saying I got part H of the one multi-part answer on the last page wrong.

So while the rest of the class buckled down to spend the next hour working their asses off to improve their scores, I got to flip to the last page, write "∞", hand in my paper, and walk out. And once outside away from prying eyes, break into a massive relieved smile (and maybe a small dance).

The possibility the rest of the class hates me is increasing.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular

if a university you want to go to requires the SAT/ACT you should probably get a prep book

at least

also, free books https://www.gutenberg.org/files/84/84-h/84-h.htm

Cool, I will look at the site.

I think it is a separate entrance test from sat and act. Mostly I just want work books to go through college algebra to calculus so I can get back up to speed though the farthest I've gotten is trig and I passed that with a C.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    There are a lot of smarty pants in this thread. :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    First project of three for this one class as a Grad student presented(with 2/3rds of the normal lead-up time)!

I was super, super, super nervous going into it, because there were a lot of questions and ways for the whole thing to go wrong. I was having semi-nightmares about the many ways in which this whole thing could explode.

It ended up working perfectly, the response was exactly what I was hoping it would be, the critique I received back was exactly what I was hoping it would be, and everyone(including the professor) seemed to totally get what I was going for, and what I was going for seemed to totally work.

Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

now time to start on the next project because oh god I'm already out of time.

• Options
    Protip: if for some incredibly convoluted reason you find yourself mounting things on sheets of remay (looks like fabric softener sheets) with wheat starch paste, do not do it on a white table because that shit is next to impossible to find after it's been given a good coat.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    paper due on last Thursday > shitty week so I still haven't even started it > sit down to start it and realize that my edition of the text is one back and the syllabus only contains reading #s and no content, author, or title and all the readings are wrong > ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Options
    cabsy wrote: »
    paper due on last Thursday > shitty week so I still haven't even started it > sit down to start it and realize that my edition of the text is one back and the syllabus only contains reading #s and no content, author, or title and all the readings are wrong > ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Boooo that sucks, I hope you have a positive week next week!

Tomorrow I am taking soil samples to judge the ph - maximum excitement!!

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    My one in class class this semester is crazy annoying, the work is basically busywork, we don't do anything for the hour of class we have (we did 30 minutes of breathing exercises on day) and now I got this group project with these two kids (I'm 29, their both 18. I can say kids) who are all about fitness and running and staying thin and keep flirting with each other instead of doing class work, and this guy keeps shoving my overweightness into my face.

ugh I hate teens

• Options
    Group work is so annoying. I hope they end up doing their part @Bucketman :(

I'm supposed to be studying for my midterm exam that's on Tuesday, but procrastination!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Yeah I have an annotated bibliography due tonight but I hate this lgbt studies class so much that it might just be late.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular

For people who like me had trouble with or forgot basic through algebra math or just wanted to brush up I will always flog the barrons GRE prep books. They start at bloody 'this is a number line" and go from there. It was huge in getting me a good score on the GRE math by not only reinforcing and reminding me of things, but teaching me a lot of clever ways to break problems down to do them faster. It will make you better at a lot of practical math as well, I use stuff from it pretty often when doing weird dilutions/conversions in the lab. It does not go into calculus or higher though.

• Options
    Took a trip to the state archives tonight with my class. Coolest non-Hawaiian thing they have: the original customs form for Apollo 11.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular

For people who like me had trouble with or forgot basic through algebra math or just wanted to brush up I will always flog the barrons GRE prep books. They start at bloody 'this is a number line" and go from there. It was huge in getting me a good score on the GRE math by not only reinforcing and reminding me of things, but teaching me a lot of clever ways to break problems down to do them faster. It will make you better at a lot of practical math as well, I use stuff from it pretty often when doing weird dilutions/conversions in the lab. It does not go into calculus or higher though.

Unless you're specifically studying for a standardized test, I don't recommend using their prep books as study-aids. Especially the GRE- that math is very test-specific, as is the advice. (If you're going with a test-prep book, ACT would probably be best.)

If you want general math/science help, pick a college, find their bookstore's website, and look at the books being sold for their lowest-level classes. (You won't find those books at a general brick and mortar Barnes and Nobel.) Then buy an earlier edition of the workbooks on Amazon because it's way, WAY cheaper. And also get the answer keys, because those are actually super helpful.

As for specific publishers, I remember the university bookstore I worked at stocking Pearson, and McGraw-Hill.

• Options
    ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    Man, I had no idea you need to apply for graduation until someone mentioned it offhand today, bleh!

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601