As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D] Chronicles of Mystara. STOP. Burning oil and hammer time!

• Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    That link about the collector's edition in Japan says it's slated for August 22; anyone know where that came from and if its just for Japan or worldwide?

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Has there actually been anything about the supposed HD nature of this HD release? Every screenshot and video I've seen shows that the game is cropped to 4:3 automatically, so I guess there's been no sprite work to allow for widescreen. Which I don't mind at all, actually, because widescreen would be pretty weird a lot of the time. I'm guessing it'll just be a couple of filters in the option menu to smooth out the edges.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Just saw the date. :P

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2013/06/07/penny-arcade-to-stream-dungeons-and-dragons-at-launch-with-giveaways
    Hey there, D&D fans. If you missed our blog about the supremely rad Thief class the other day, you might have also missed that Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara now has firm release dates for PS3, Xbox 360, and PC (Wii U dates pending!). They are as follow:

North America: PSN & Steam – June 18; XBLA – June 19; WiiU – TBC
    Europe: Steam – June 18; PSN & XBLA – June 19; WiiU – TBC

Sooo, pretty soon! On a related note, we have a special announcement:

We are partnering up with the fine folks at Penny Arcade, PvP and Broodhollow to bring you a special playthrough launch event for Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara on June 18th from Noon to 1pm PST, and it will be live streamed via our official Twitch channel.

Tycho, Gabe, Scott Kurtz, and Kris Straub will be partying up for a four player session of looting and adventuring. We will be giving away free download codes for the game on stream as well to a few lucky viewers. It will definitely be a crazy fun filled hour, so be sure to mark your calendars and check out the stream!

19. :?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I'm a fan of these games

QkKp1Hn.jpg

:D

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    I'll be sour if the Wii U version doesn't release on the 20th, Nintendo's nominal release date for that week.

I'll be in a real bad mood if it misses June.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    In case you missed it on Tycho's news post today, free up your afternoon tomorrow (12 pm - 1 pm PST) and fire up twitch.tv to watch him, Gabe, Scott Kurtz and Kris Straub play-through the games.

A very nice warmup before downloading the game on Tuesday (PC & PS3) or Wednesday (Xbox).

• Options
    I hope TotalBiscuit makes a video of the game.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Points card is in hand! Can't wait to get a group together and play this again! Maybe we should work at getting a group together on launch day?

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I'll be grabbing it on Steam tomorrow, but I'll be playing real D&D tomorrow evening. Maybe after? Or Wednesday?

People should add me on Steam. :P

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I'm changing the thread title tomorrow. I already mentioned it earlier. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otCpCn0l4Wo

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Aw heck yeah! I came across both of these games in an arcade several years ago, and my friends & I spent almost all our money playing them. I am definitely going to be picking this up with my next paycheck. How does online multiplayer work, exactly?

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    So it's the 18th and I don't see it on Steam anywhere.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    They usually don't go up until 1PM eastern.

Edit: If you search for "Mystara" you'll find a listing, but clicking on it brings you back to the front Steam page.

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    It's up! On Steam! For the love of god, buy it!

Actually, you know what

signature.png

Donnicton on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Buying as soon as I am home from work. So much hype right now.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    As mentioned, the thread title has changed now. :)

I hope you like it.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    Bought this so hard.

Dibs on the cleric.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2013/06/18/dungeons-and-dragons-chronicles-of-mystara-release-imminent
    Don't forget! Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara comes out today for PSN and Steam, tomorrow for Xbox LIVE! We'll have a Wii U eShop date before too long as well.

If you want to see the game in action before you buy, or want a chance to win a free download code, check out the livestream on our Twitch channel (EDIT: twitch.tv/capcomunity) at noon PT today, which will be hosted by none other than Penny Arcade! Don't miss it!

Now then! Launch trailer time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWKN7V8xC2I

EDIT: It seems it will be available today for the Wii U. Keep an eye open people.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    legallytiredlegallytired Registered User regular
    Anyone tried it and can confirm that there is no option to get a limited number of credits?

• Options
    Anyone tried it and can confirm that there is no option to get a limited number of credits?

Self control. ;-)

So ah... we don't get the awesome version, it seems?
    This may a bit old, but according to their FB post, Japanese disk release version for PS3 is done by Capcom's internal dev team include very original arcade staffs, unlike its digital release.
    I think PS3 domestic version is based on Japanese PCB, international PCB for digital version.
    Split bump. The Japanese official site confirms that original arcade staff are working on the Japanese retail port, and they're adding extra stuff like the option for all 4 players to play as the same characters, and character visual editing. The screen options and stuff also seem different from the digital release by Iron Galaxy.

Guess I'm importing this collection. Again. :P

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Y'know, here I was stewing over how I felt ripped off by Chantelise even though I got it on the cheap the other week (long story short, it's a frustrating and not very enjoyable game; no offense to SpaceDrake or the rest of the Carpe Fulgur team because programming it wasn't their fault). But this reminds me I have a perfectly fun duo of hack 'n slashers to play online with other folks, so I'm not that bummed any more. Thanks, Capcom, for the first time in a good long while!

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Wait, are they talking about 4 Fighters in Shadow (for example)? Cause I'm sure that you could have multiples of the same character/class in Tower (just switch around the titles if I got them backwards). Hence why there were different sprites/colors for the characters in the sequel.

And editing the sprites would have been cool (provided it was more then just changing the colors).

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Yea, you can do that in Mystara, but not in Tower.

I just played through Mystara. Somehow I lost my short sword on my thief, and I got kinda pissed. But then we ran into the Storm Blade, so all was forgiven. :D

• Options
    AgahnimAgahnim Registered User regular
    Damn, I can't wait to play the wizard on the Wii U gamepad. No more having to cycle through spells!

2.jpg
    3DS FC: 2148-8300-8608 WiiU: AgahnimD
  • Options
    IvanIssacs wrote: »
    Bought this so hard.

Dibs on the cleric.

Everybody loves the cleric.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Since they talked about how to play on the stream, some tips.

In Shadows over Mystara press start during character select to choose the alternate version of the character (ie: dwarf with a skull helmet instead of the horned helmet). The cleric and magic user alts get different spells from their base versions.

SoM adds desperation attacks (attack + jump) which (as usual) cost some life to use. EXCEPT the cleric. His desperation attack is the turn undead spell, which was a regular spell in ToD. The only downside to using turn undead is that enemies killed this way offer no XP.

Having an elf in your party will get you a secret, third passage after the airship crash. Same with the dwarf after the Cave of Rafael (aka, the Red Dragon lair).

The thief's rising attack (down, up, attack) has her throw a custom version of large burning oil on the ground. She can also steal items from enemies by dashing into them (don't try this on the lich or spectre!).

The dwarf gets extra gold pieces by attacking chests that have been opened.

The elf gets unlimited arrows and the thief gets unlimited sling stones. Both can rapid fire.

The fighter can dual-wield if you find and equip a short sword.

The magic user's forward+attack is relatively weak stab with a dagger. Every 16 or so uses will be a critical hit that will outright kill weaker enemies and devastate bosses. His backdash is a teleport with invincibility frames.

That's not even getting into the secret stuff like getting the special items from stores, the bonus items based on your character's name, uncursing the two cursed swords, the aptly named Final Strike spell, and more.

MetalMagus on
  • Options
    IvanIssacs wrote: »
    Bought this so hard.

Dibs on the cleric.

Everybody loves the cleric.
    I dunno, Elf-chan looks pretty fun to me. . .

• Options
    Chan? I know nothing about japanese language but shouldn't it be Elf-sama?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    General rule of thumb if something/someone looks/acts cute. Just internet animu memage. That said, game looks like it'll be a blast to play regardless of class.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    When does Live update what's on the marketplace, anyways? I want to play this now... but my laptop is a dinosaur that lags on Facebook games, so...

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Tomorrow.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    Usually around late morning or midday CST, I wanna say.

I'm staring at the four pack, my finger over buy. Must restrain.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Sweet Moses, I have missed this game! I know Shadow over Mystara is the more advanced sequel, but for some reason I love Tower of Doom more. SoM just seems more...Capcom-y in its presentation and character designs, which is cool, but Tower of Doom really looks like its own thing, and plays as a more straightforward, traditional sidescroller. The UI on Tower of Doom is also less obtrusive, imho.

Any PS3 people down for online? These games really, really make you feel on your own if you don't have a party backing you up...

• Options
    PsiberianPsiberian Registered User regular
    eeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!! so excited for this game. i dropped so many paychecks into these games in college. now if only my damn steam wallet would accept my card.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The sword of ___ weapons are so overpowered on thieves. I mean, they are for everyone, but it seems like especially thieves.

Loving this so much, but now I have to abandon the thief for a while to work on other cheevos. Sadface. :P

• Options
    edited June 2013
    From Capcom Unity: http://store.steampowered.com/app/229480
    Dungeons & Dragons! To reiterate the news, Chronicles of Mystara is out today on PSN and Steam, tomorrow on Xbox LIVE. Speaking of Steam though, they're now offering a special 4-Pack deal--get 4 Steam copies for the price of 3 ($44.99 total). Since these games prominently feature 4-player coop play, this is the perfect chance to hook up three of your friends for a discount. Don't miss the opportunity!

EDIT: Can someone check if the game available on the Wii U?

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    General rule of thumb if something/someone looks/acts cute. Just internet animu memage. That said, game looks like it'll be a blast to play regardless of class.

I think the "-sama" is more regal considering the age. She ain't got decades, she has hundreds. :)

XBL - ArchSilversmith