As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A [Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes] thread!? Now available?! It can't be!

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    I went from never really getting him down to less than 150%. Then I was dodging his attacks, countering like a beast, and just shattered him. He wasn't any less offensive or anything. It was weird.

Welcome to muscle memory.

It takes a while to kick in.

Brain's gotta process all that shit yo. Rewire itself so it happens faster.

It takes time.

When it does: bam.

It has very, very little to do with any of the processes that you normally associate with "yourself". That's why it always feels so odd, as if something outside yourself is causing it.
    Cos it is. A different part of the brain and one your consciousness doesn't have anywhere near as much access to as we would think.

Not MGS related, but I played Infamous: Second Son, twice. The first time was on Normal difficulty and the second time was on Expert. I found all the bosses easier the second time and I wasn't even fully upgraded. Probably due to muscle memory and knowing the boss's patterns.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Maybe Phantom Pain is a retcon remake of Metal Gear 1.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Oh nice! Last time I checked he only had "The only thing I know for real" and "Rules of nature"

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I went and checked after I saw a second one.

Took a bit of time.
    Drez wrote: »
    never die wrote: »
    I went from never really getting him down to less than 150%. Then I was dodging his attacks, countering like a beast, and just shattered him. He wasn't any less offensive or anything. It was weird.

Welcome to muscle memory.

It takes a while to kick in.

Brain's gotta process all that shit yo. Rewire itself so it happens faster.

It takes time.

When it does: bam.

It has very, very little to do with any of the processes that you normally associate with "yourself". That's why it always feels so odd, as if something outside yourself is causing it.
    Cos it is. A different part of the brain and one your consciousness doesn't have anywhere near as much access to as we would think.

Not MGS related, but I played Infamous: Second Son, twice. The first time was on Normal difficulty and the second time was on Expert. I found all the bosses easier the second time and I wasn't even fully upgraded. Probably due to muscle memory and knowing the boss's patterns.

When I have played a game for long enough I end up doing things I cannot explain, do not fully understand and am not consciously aware of.
    My hands and eyes are dancing to a tune that I cannot follow. I can only remember.

And then I usually go "Holy shit!"

It's a great feeling. I search for games deep enough to give me this feeling.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular

from page 4, March 2013
    I can't fucking wait until there's this badass nextgen trailer where there's a dude in some olive drab, and he's sneaking around a military complex and you only ever see him from the neck down, and it shows him choke a soldier out, and snap back against a wall with his gun in his hand and he snaps out and goes through a factory door and the camera zooms in up on the railing and there's old Big Boss looking mean and haggard looking down and the camera follows his view down to the dude that came in and it's a young Solid looking up and it goes black and just says METAL GEAR

it's gotta come full circle, it just has to

I honestly play variations of this trailer in my mind like all the time

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular

from page 4, March 2013
    I can't fucking wait until there's this badass nextgen trailer where there's a dude in some olive drab, and he's sneaking around a military complex and you only ever see him from the neck down, and it shows him choke a soldier out, and snap back against a wall with his gun in his hand and he snaps out and goes through a factory door and the camera zooms in up on the railing and there's old Big Boss looking mean and haggard looking down and the camera follows his view down to the dude that came in and it's a young Solid looking up and it goes black and just says METAL GEAR

it's gotta come full circle, it just has to

I honestly play variations of this trailer in my mind like all the time

I would love this. I only got into the MGS series in around 2005ish, and when I tried MG it was just too old, I couldn't enjoy it. A modern remake would be perfect for me.

• Options
    EvilpolarbearEvilpolarbear Registered User regular
    It might explain Hayter not voicing Big Boss anymore, to lead into Solid fighting Boss and not confuse the issue by having Hayter yell things at himself.

Of course the Japanese VA is still the usual guy, so...

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I think Kojima's argument on that front might be that Akio Ohtsuka has arguably a lot more range than Hayter and could probably pull it off. And he does! He's a hell of a seiyuu, though it'd be awesome to get him to voice Solid and have his father voice Big Boss again

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if the big thing is going to be "OMG it was Hayter all along!" but I wouldn't be surprised if Kojima has some stuff planned.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I'm not sure which scenario I would like more, Hayter playing Solid Snake at the end of The Phantom Pain, or that not happening and all of us retroactively sounding like raving lunatics.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    It wouldn't be Metal Gear if someone wasn't sounding like a raving lunatic.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I really just want them to re-imagine MG1-2 just so we can put the Solid back in Metal Gear Solid.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    The Solid label is technically from the fact that the games involve 3D graphics (Kojima amirite), which has fit the bill since 1996 =P

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I think Kojima's argument on that front might be that Akio Ohtsuka has arguably a lot more range than Hayter and could probably pull it off. And he does! He's a hell of a seiyuu, though it'd be awesome to get him to voice Solid and have his father voice Big Boss again

Except Otsuka didn't voice Big Boss in MGS4, his dad did...

I know, I also want David Hayter to come back and do something, so I shouldn't be poking holes in our lay theories...

Akilae on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Hayter being bait-and-switched back in seems like a very Kojima thing to do, but they got Keither Freakin Sutherland to voice Boss which came out of nowhere (and frankly didn't blow anyone away with his portrayal of Boss). That's the weirdest part to me. (Also, did you know Hayter wrote X-Men 2?)
    Who knows, maybe Kojima secretly disliked Hayter's take on it or wanted a more serious tone... nah you can attach a ballon to a sheep

• Options
    Boss has so little to say in Ground Zeroes. I really haven't heard enough to form on opinion, positive or negative.

• Options
    He has a lot to say if you listen to the tapes. They're pretty much just conversations between him and Kaz.

I don't have a problem with him not talking too much during the E3 demo. Ocelot was speechifying, which I wouldn't ever interrupt. And then Boss was infiltrating a base. Why would he talk?

• Options
    I was counting the tapes. They're not that long.

• Options
    Dirty wrote: »
    I was counting the tapes. They're not that long.

Oh. Well, I guess they were enough for me.

All this talk of voice actors and various character possibilities reminds me that I'm hoping for some MGS2-level mind-fuckery in MGSV, but I won't be disappointed if that doesn't happen.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Hayter being bait-and-switched back in seems like a very Kojima thing to do, but they got Keither Freakin Sutherland to voice Boss which came out of nowhere (and frankly didn't blow anyone away with his portrayal of Boss). That's the weirdest part to me. (Also, did you know Hayter wrote X-Men 2?)
    Who knows, maybe Kojima secretly disliked Hayter's take on it or wanted a more serious tone... nah you can attach a ballon to a sheep

Sheep doesn't negate serious in Kojima's head.

Yes it all makes sense now, doesn't it?

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Not to mention that the bulk of Big Boss' army now appears to be dudes that he kidnaps and brainwashes, instead of actually appealing to their shared philosophies as "soldiers without borders." (Or maybe it's Kaz who does all the brainwashing?)

Kaz: We don't have homes! We're all orphans of the battlefield.
    Trooper: I have a home! It's in Russia!
    Kaz: But you were in Afghanistan. They took from you any purpose you might have had in life.
    Trooper: I volunteered! The pay's not bad and I'm saving up to propose to my girlfriend. My father owns a pirogi shop and I was gonna take over when my tour is over! I wanted to go home and be a family man!
    Kaz: We're your family now.
    Sheep: Baa.
    Trooper: O-Okay...

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    It's always been like that.

They stick them in the brig until they agree to work for them in the previous game.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    The trick with metal gear is that there are two different, separate, completely unconnected atmospheres in every game.

The sheep moments side. It is meant to be some light hearted humor, the game part of the game, fun and enjoyment. It is not connected to the story, although sometimes you'll get some in the story as a reference.

And a serious side, which is meant to be taken seriously, presented seriously and is in no way connected to the sheep moments.

Don't confuse the sheep for the serious (or vice versa) or you'll have no idea what is going on.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Basically the game elements and the film elements. You CAN put cheesecake magazines on the ground or stick C4 onto enemies or throw live snakes or puff knockout gas from fake cigarettes or get in an oil drum and roll into battle, but that's not in the story.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Weeeeelllll I broadly agree but sometimes the game elements and the film elements are heavily connected.

I just see those things and recognise the humor without mixing it up.

But now I have a name for it.

"Ah, that's a sheep moment."

edit: WAIT A MINUTE THROWING SNAKES IS LEGIT

Morninglord on
  • Options
    You're probably right, though I can't think of any at the moment.

But the story can get super silly all on its own. More or less so depending on how you view the story.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'd call them a "cardboard box" moment, myself.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    What are you talking about the cardboard box isn't humor.

It's destiny.

• Options
    Wait what usage of legit are we working with here?

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Gotta love the two-person cardboard tank box.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Renzo wrote: »

"It would work"

Unless you think you'd be calm and cool when some chuckle fuck is throwing poisonous snakes at you.

Or worse you are on patrol and a snake LEAPS at you out of the bushes. You are just here to do a job. And now you've got leaping snakes.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »

"It would work"

Unless you think you'd be calm and cool when some chuckle fuck is throwing poisonous snakes at you.

Or worse you are on patrol and a snake LEAPS at you out of the bushes. You are just here to do a job. And now you've got leaping snakes.

Oh, yeah sure. I just think it's also a little outside the usual repertoire of a spy or military operative. I guess? I'm mainly thinking of the silly way the soldiers react to it, by flailing and running away. Same with shooting down a hornet's nest.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    A swarm of hornets can kill you though.

They're trained to fight men not wildlife.

I like it because it shows he's thinking with the tools he has available.
    And honestly its logical. You can catch poisonous snakes. Snakes freak people out. Chuck em.

The way the soldiers react is gamey, but so is everything else the soliders do. You discharge a firearm, wait ten minutes, and everything is fully back to normal. They usually don't even change their patrols in most games once the caution phase ends.

So I'm thinking about it from the point of view of what you can do rather than how they react.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    What about wearing a croc cap and poking its head around a corner?

I don't care how badass a hardened soldier you think you are. That's a crocodile motherfucker. Run!

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I didn't know you could do that! Awesome.

I like the one where you hang over the ledge while fighting Ocelot with the croc cap on and they all laugh at you.

But you know the best thing? Ocelot shooting down hornets onto you.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    I think what would absolutely legitimize the awesomeness of Mother Base would be if during cutscenes soldiers you specifically rescued showed up in cutscenes, just to give the game the player's touch even further

"Listen up, soldier. We fight for ourselves. Not for any country or ideology. They rejected us, and we're going to pay them back in kind."
    "... y-yes, sir! We're right behind you, Boss!"
    "Baaa-aaa-aah."

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    The story of what could have been, right up there along with the story of the MGS theme...

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »

He said Metal Gear V, not Metal Gear SOLID V.

Still hope.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Oh man, I enjoy the desperate optimism in this thread so much.