As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age Thread - In Anders we Trust

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I should probably @AspectVoid and @Toxic Pickle to make sure they see it too

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    AcharenusAcharenus Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Pretty sure the only "proof" we have that Flemeth is a body snatcher is Morrigan's word.

And, personally, "Trust me" isn't really enough evidence when it's coming from someone who talks about how much fun it is to lie to and manipulate people.

She makes a motion to hand you the book during conversation...it's kinda hard to tell with how origins handles it.

It can probably be assumed that as long as the PC is literate he/she read it.

When confronted flemeth will immediately offer to turn into a dragon and attempt to kill you or lie to morrigan.

You're turning a blind eye to an awful lot to dislike morrigan, she's not perfect but she's not the devil she's being made out to be here. She was raised to hate and distrust everyone, even her mother I think it's pretty telling that while she'll disagree with a lot of what you plan to do she wont turn on you for them. I think it needs to be kept in mind where her opinions come from and the limits of her human interaction before being forced on the warden.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I don't think Morrigan ever really talks about how fun it is to manipulate people

Mainly because she doesn't have the experience with people necessary to really do that. Part of the impression that I got from talking to her is that she doesn't really know how to lie, because lying to Flemeth is impossible and she's barely ever talked to anyone else.

Unless you mean luring templars to their deaths, but that just involves a lot of screaming and running.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    And thank you @Cambiata you are a peach

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Acharenus wrote: »
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Pretty sure the only "proof" we have that Flemeth is a body snatcher is Morrigan's word.

And, personally, "Trust me" isn't really enough evidence when it's coming from someone who talks about how much fun it is to lie to and manipulate people.

She makes a motion to hand you the book during conversation...it's kinda hard to tell with how origins handles it.

It can probably be assumed that as long as the PC is literate he/she read it.

When confronted flemeth will immediately offer to turn into a dragon and attempt to kill you or lie to morrigan.

You're turning a blind eye to an awful lot to dislike morrigan, she's not perfect but she's not the devil she's being made out to be here. She was raised to hate and distrust everyone, even her mother I think it's pretty telling that while she'll disagree with a lot of what you plan to do she wont turn on you for them. I think it needs to be kept in mind where her opinions come from and the limits of her human interaction before being forced on the warden.

Morrigan mentions a few times that she's the only one that can read the book. She does offer to teach Shale how to read it though.

edit:
    Shale: I understand the swamp witch is out to slay its own mother?
    Morrigan: Entirely in self-defense.
    Shale: So it claims. It could not have been its plan from the very beginning, then.
    Morrigan: I knew nothing about my mother's... intentions... prior to finding the book. 'Twas your notion I arranged that?
    Shale: Unnecessary, considering it is the only one who can read the book. It could just as well be a journal, or a book of recipes.
    Morrigan: Would you like me to teach you how to read the book? Then you can see for yourself.
    Shale: (Snorts) Now it is testing me.
    Morrigan: (Chuckles) Well do you care enough to learn, or no?
    Shale: No. I do not care.
    Morrigan: Then leave me be.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I liked Morrigan a lot in DA:O actually. Well voiced and not afraid to not agree with you. You had to dig a bit to get to the core of the character because she had a bunch of walls up against other people. I never played Witch Hunt so I don't know what happened to her in the end

I also liked Sten, because figuring out which response would make him happy/angry was like a puzzle at times while the others were a lot more transparent. I know he respects you if you sometimes put him in his place and other times he'll get mad if you're too much of an asshole

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    I wasn't familiar with Claudia Black before DA:O but she seriously climbed the list of my favorite VO's in that game, I mean damnation

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Farscape turned me on to her (hur hur hur) and since, I've never gotten tired of Claudia Black's voice.

My withdrawn, human-society-distrusting Dalish Warden with no preconceived notions of "good" or "evil" magic (Witch Hunt spoilers)
    ran off with her at the end of Witch Hunt to see his son.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I wasn't familiar with Claudia Black before DA:O but she seriously climbed the list of my favorite VO's in that game, I mean damnation

Watch Farscape, bro. It's on Netflix.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

Not anymore they removed it a couple months back. I think it is on Hulu? But maybe Hulu +

• Options
    A game with Morrigan, Isabela, and Aveline as your followers would just

It would just be the best, oh my God

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Neaden wrote: »

Not anymore they removed it a couple months back. I think it is on Hulu? But maybe Hulu +

What? Noooooo.

I mean I own the DVDs, but still nooooooooo.

• Options
    AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    Wow. The OP has everything one would need. It's glorious. Hadn't seen the DA3 concept art before; very nice that they're keeping the graphical style and not going back to brown.

• Options
    Morrigan, ladies and gentlemen.

John_aeryn.jpg

One of many reasons you should watch Farscape if you haven't already.

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
  • Options
    I think it was probably my love of Claudia Black from Farscape that makes me like Morrigan, regardless of the mean parts of her personality.

Dat voice.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I've never watched Farscape but I really liked Morrigan even though she didn't work for me as a party member due to her being evil and me being a goody-two-shoes.

Admiral Xen can go straight out the airlock though.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I'm sorry, I can't watch any sci fi show or film where they have aliens who just HAPPEN to look exactly human. Not "sort of human", like Asari in Mass Effect.

They are in fact just human.

And it's so fucking dumb.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I'm sorry, I can't watch any sci fi show or film where they have aliens who just HAPPEN to look exactly human. Not "sort of human", like Asari in Mass Effect.

But but but

Claudia Black and Ben Browder, man!

Live a little!

• Options
    I think it was probably my love of Claudia Black from Farscape that makes me like Morrigan, regardless of the mean parts of her personality.

Dat voice.

When I was younger and creepier, I thought that if I ever got a chance that I would ask Claudia Black at a con if her husband just asked her to read from the phone book to put him in the mood.

I have grown beyond the point where I would ever ask such a question. But not beyond the point where my curiosity on the topic has withered away. It is a conundrum.

• Options
    Achire wrote: »
    Wow. The OP has everything one would need. It's glorious. Hadn't seen the DA3 concept art before; very nice that they're keeping the graphical style and not going back to brown.

I love the concept art. I have the Dalish camp one as my desktop. :D

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Also sorry, Asari are just basically human females, if you can stand them then you can stand the Peacekeepers.

• Options
    Also sorry, Asari are just basically a race of Hooters waitresses, if you can stand them then you can stand the Peacekeepers.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Also sorry, Asari are just basically human females, if you can stand them then you can stand the Peacekeepers.

I never really got the space babe thing for Asari anyway, those head tentacles are creepy, and not at all hair-like.

I think they are silly too, but the fact that they did put in some effort and the imagination they used for the other races is enough for me to overlook that silliness.

Farscape just makes no effort at all.

I don't pretend that it's a fair criticism, and it's totally my problem, not the show's. But I wouldn't be able to enjoy it because I'd spend the whole time rolling my eyes.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Dhalphir...

...there is a reason.

And in any case, sure, one race is basically human. Have you even seen the other Farscape species?

Shadowen on
  • Options
    I've never watched Farscape but I really liked Morrigan even though she didn't work for me as a party member due to her being evil and me being a goody-two-shoes.

Admiral Xen can go straight out the airlock though.

Xen is crazy, but also great in her way.

I bet she's the one responsible for the Reeger. Plus there are notes in the game somewhere about the advances she makes on the Crucible.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited April 2013

And it's so fucking dumb.

Physiologically, the number of differences between Asari and Human are - or, well, appear to be anyways - massive compared to the number of similarities. Bipedal. triploplastic, bilateral symmetry, spine centered at the base of the skull rather than the back, two upper appendages, each appendage having the same number of joints and approximate segment length, etc, etc, etc, I mean, a lot of these are REALLY significant characteristics that basically only humans or primates have. Most species on planet Earth don't even share these qualities; the idea that most species in the galaxy would seem like it'd require a shitton of disbelief suspension anyways.

Also, dude, $$$. Srsly.

hippofant on
  • Options
    PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    On my first playthrough I romanced Morrigan purely because of her voice. It was the only attractive thing about her, but it was enough. I guess I have no choice but to watch Farscape now.

Also @Pharezon come at me bro

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular

I never really got the space babe thing for Asari anyway, those head tentacles are creepy, and not at all hair-like.

I think they are silly too, but the fact that they did put in some effort and the imagination they used for the other races is enough for me to overlook that silliness.

I don't pretend that it's a fair criticism, and it's totally my problem, not the show's. But I wouldn't be able to enjoy it because I'd spend the whole time rolling my eyes.
    rly
    they are humans aliens took them from Earth a long time ago.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Going to be seriously heartbroken if Morrigan doesn't show up in 3.

She's my ultimate Bioware waifu.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    On my first playthrough I romanced Morrigan purely because of her voice. It was the only attractive thing about her, but it was enough. I guess I have no choice but to watch Farscape now.

Also @Pharezon come at me bro

dragon-age-templars-1.png

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

They're not tentacles! They're semi-flexible cartilage-based scalp crests that grow into shape! And they don't "flop around"!

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    I should probably @AspectVoid and @Toxic Pickle to make sure they see it too

Huh, wait, what, my name was mentioned? I was going to ignore this thread, since its filled with nothing but Demon Puppets in waiting, those dirty mages, but then I saw my name mentioned. What was I supposed to see? The thing from vsove I saw in the other thread.

Yeah, well, I'm not really expecting anything from Bioware post DA3, so that's no surprise. When the Doctors left, it was a sign that Bioware had entered the EA Death Spiral that claimed the lives of Origin and Westwood Games. It sucks, but EA does like to destroy talented developers, and it was bound to happen eventually.

But hey, if Obsidian can turn out the huge dialog games I crave, I really don't need Bioware anyway. My loyalty will lead me to buy DA3 sight unseen, but after that, Bioware will be just another company to me that will have to prove their game's quality before I even consider spending my money on it.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Maybe I bat signalled the wrong person, but I thought you were one of the people saying "It's totally 100% because of VO, you guys! That's why they can't have more dialog!" So the quote seemed a relevant refutation. Maybe it was just Toxic Pickle saying that.

• Options
    I like how every game since probably Baldur's Gate 2 has been "Bioware's LAST CHANCE to prove themselves!"

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    So after a long period away I finally decided to replay DA:O
    It's one of my favorite games of all time and I had a playthrough all tucked away for when DA2 came out, but unfortunately my computer's hard-drive crapped itself.
    I have Awakening and all the DLC so I can work my way up to DA2 (which I've never played.)
    Any recommendations for marathoning this sucker?

• Options
    Ironically I tried really hard to play Skyrim and just couldn't because the story failed to engage me. I only want a sandbox when there's a strong story behind it. Generally speaking I can even do without the sandbox if the story is good.

The last sandbox game I really, really loved was Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and that was (of course) because I really loved the story (never saw Scarface so maybe I'd have been more bored with the story if I had? dunno).

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    We're gone after DA3?

Damn, someone should probably tell that to EA + everyone who works at BioWare, it sounds like information that we desperately need.

I know it doesn't fit in well with the 'EA DESTROYS EVERYONE' rhetoric, but uhh, many people who work here would argue we're better off since EA bought us.

And that's really the last I'm going to say on that subject because fuck I am tired of this line of thought.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    AcharenusAcharenus Registered User regular
    vsove wrote: »
    We're gone after DA3?

Damn, someone should probably tell that to EA + everyone who works at BioWare, it sounds like information that we desperately need.

I know it doesn't fit in well with the 'EA DESTROYS EVERYONE' rhetoric, but uhh, many people who work here would argue we're better off since EA bought us.

And that's really the last I'm going to say on that subject because fuck I am tired of this line of thought.

The rhetoric doesn't come out of thin air.

I'm sure many of the employees of the companys they've shut down thought they were better off to.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    but @vsove, don't you understand?

EA is a CORPORATION.

And CORPORATIONS are EVIL.

They do EVIL things.

CAPSLOCK.

Dhalphir on
This discussion has been closed.