As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PbP] INTO THE ODD - Horrific, Rules-Lite D&D

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Tiris lowers some rope to help get Kairon out of the pit.

• Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    As Kairon starts to climb the rope he notices the sides of the pit are extremely slippy. It looks like they've been greased. Still, with help from the rope, he's able to climb back out.

The sounds from the north have fallen quiet now.

• Options
    OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    "Whew, thank you. Blighted walls are greased, as well. Of course, now I'm dying to know what happens if one pulls the rope. Hmm..." Kairon eyes the pit and the rope again while he shoulders his pack.

"We should probably keep moving, though."

Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • Options
    "Something tells me the greased walls to a pit and a solitary dangling rope would not end well for the person inside the pit. My advice would be to leave it be for now."

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    "So do we attempt to go up the stairs, potentially meeting... whatever's up there, or turn around past the curtain, and risk re-meeting a cyclone?"

• Options
    "Here, let's have a look at the map. I don't think we investigated the source of the rushing water sounds to the west of the stalactite cave, but the only probable means of progress appears to be up those stairs."

ITO_zps479a19ff.png

• Options
    "Then it probably makes sense for us to proceed up the stairs. We should all be armed and ready, though. Who knows what was making that sound."

• Options
    "Agreed, we'll need a plan of action. Perhaps the musket and bow should cover the passage while we hammer some guide ropes into place. I can fire up the arcana to help provide illumination, and as a line of defense in case that thing is hostile."

• Options
    "I've been waiting for that since we got in here."

• Options
    The muskets and bows cover the rest of the group as they hammer dome spikes into the stone staircase heading north.

As you do this, you hear movement from the room above. Sounds like a large creature moving, with a wet slapping noise. After a moment, it goes quiet again.

The stairs are now spiked and roped, so you can climb up safely. Anyone that wants to fire up an Arcanum can do so easily, as there's no immediate danger here.

• Options
    Kairon activates his Arcanum at the top of the stairs, just after hammering in the last spike. Crouching by the entrance, he uses the illumination he now gives off to facilitate re-lighting his torch. "Quickly now! We definitely aren't alone."

• Options
    Tiris looks at his items; Musket, Pistol or Sword. He mumbles to himself, "Only have two hands," and holsters the pistol and sword. "Musket it is," he says as he loads and readies his weapon of choice.

• Options
    Kairon manages to get a look at the room above.

It's either a natural cave or an incredibly crude attempt at a room. It looks like its just been blasted into the mountain. The cave reaches 30ft up and the same in width and depth. The only light is your torch and a distant glow coming from the western passageway.

The other two exits, to the North and East, are completely dark natural tunnels.

Something is hunched in the Eastern tunnel. Something the size of a horse. Its glistening skin reflects some flickers of torchlight but you can't make out its exact form from here.

It's skin is marbled pink and white, and it looks back at you with large, solid white eyes.

• Options
    "Hideous... but is it hostile?" Kairon glances quickly around, looking and sniffing for signs that this thing might be carnivorous - bones, leavings, territorial markings. He slowly moves closer.

• Options
    "If the ocean is any sign, colorful things that live in deep, dark places are rarely friendly, so be careful."

• Options
    edited April 2013
    The only leavings in the cave are a few patches of translucent slime on the ground, leading a trail to the creature.

As Kairon approaches the creature it rears up, barking out a rasping gurgle. On closer inspection, it looks somewhere between a skinned horse and a shelled lobster.

You can make out some movement in the tunnel, behind the creature. Sounds like there's at least one more back there.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    Kairon returns to the group. "I think it's guarding young over there. We'd probably best give it a wide berth and see what's giving off light to the west."

• Options
    "I agree. No need to upset Mama, or is it Papa, bear."

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Peering to the West, you can see that the narrow tunnel runs around 50ft before opening up into a room. You can see the flicker of torchlight in the distant room.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    Cenk sidesteps softly behind the others toward the western tunnel, keeping eyes and bow toward the east.

• Options
    Kairon quietly approaches the room with the torchlight as well, taking care to listen for signs of movement.

• Options
    Getting closer to the Western room you can see that it's a natural cave, with two torches fixed to holders on opposite walls.

There's a chute leading straight down, with a rope ladder spiked in place. Peering down the chute you can see this leads down into another torch-lit room, but you can't make out its contents from here.

It doesn't sound like there's any movement down there.

• Options
    Hansel follows closely behind the others, keeping his musket at hand... just in case. He speaks calmly and quietly, as not to give away their location.

"Can't say I like how quiet it is down there... but it's a lead, at least."

• Options
    BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    "Did we climb up to climb down? If we can do so without provoking the beast to the east, I'd like to at least peek into the northern chamber before climbing down."

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    "Only one way to find out." Zeno goes back and takes a few steps towards the northern tunnel, trying not to provoke the bizarre creature.

• Options
    "It does look that way, yes. You go have a look, we'll cover you from here. I'll keep an eye on this hole, make sure nothing climbs up the rope ladder while we're looking the other way."

• Options
    Cenk lights another torch and moves, cautiously, to the north exit, all the while keeping half an eye on the oversized grub to the east.

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    (Oh damn. I forgot about this. I'll be keeping an eye out for future ODD threads.)

• Options
    The room to the north of the blasted cave is a man made room, 20ft square, with a very high ceiling.

There are four hunks of meat hung from the ceiling by ropes.

There's a passageway to the east.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Tiris follows, mumbling, "Don't touch anything. Don't touch anything. Don't touch anything..."

He sees the meat and asks, "Who exactly would hang meat here?"

(How fresh does the meat look? Is it dripping blood? Starting to brown? Flies all over it?)

am0n on
  • Options
    Looking up, the ropes are tied to precarious looking wooden beams in the ceiling.

The temperature is similar to the last room. The meat looks at least a few days old.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    "Yech. So this must be beastie's breakfast nook."

Keeping well away from the swaying, soon-to-fester meat, Cenk crosses toward the other doorway, peering toward the eastward passage. He'll get as good a look as he can without crossing the threshhold, then regroup with the others in the room with the shaft to relay his discoveries.

Bhow on
  • Options
    The eastern passageway ends after around 20ft with a wall of rubble. Looks like it's caved in.

• Options
    "Some meat, if anyone's feeling peckish. Beyond that, looks like it's caved in. So, downward?"

If no one objects, Cenk will drop his torch down the shaft. If no one/thing investigates the sudden appearance of a burning stick, Cenk will toss his bow upon his back and begin climbing down, trying to be quiet. He'll stop before emerging into the room to listen and, as best he can, look into the room below.

• Options
    "Up and down. Someone should rename this Yo-yo Mountain," snickers Kairon as he crouches by the chute, ready to follow Cenk once he gives the all-clear. Or help pull the man back up to safety if that becomes necessary.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Cenk drops the lit torch down the shaft. No more than a few second later, three figures shuffle over to it, peering up the shaft to Cenk.
    molemen.jpg

One of three primitive-looking men is hauling a boar over his shoulders, the second has a missing hand and the third is carrying a 4ft long, thin, metal pipe.

Upon seeing Cenk, they shout out an a language you don't understand.

Fweg mah! Juja ak manipa pat?

The man with the missing hand continues to peer up as the other two back away, out of sight.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    Hansel arms his musket, ready to fire if anything comes back up after Cenk.

• Options
    Having watched the torch fall, Cenk exhales and points his foot toward the rope ladder, quickly drawing back as the figures appear.

After exchanging bewildered looks with his peers, Cenk calls down, as best he can, "Manipa pat?"

• Options
    edited April 2013
    You hear one of the figures out of sight laugh, before the man with no hand grunts back at him.

He looks back up at you. "Hm majra la rekanti mal pat! Ur mel yab ab manipa?"

SUPERSUGA on