As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PbP] INTO THE ODD - Horrific, Rules-Lite D&D

• Options
    Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    Alfonso drops to one knee and fires at the arm with which the middle gunman holds the protomusket's barrel. Save: 5, Damage(if any is inflicted): 5

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    Blood splashes from the middle gunman's arm. He drops the gun as he shouts out in pain.

• Options
    OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    Kairon tries to load and fire the tube-gun the dead guy had.
    I don't know if this is possible, but he doesn't have much else to do apart from throwing his one melee weapon at them. And that doesn't seem wise!

Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, the weapon's mechanism is rather unusual. You try to load it, but you'd need a bit of time to familiarise yourself with the weapon to be able to use it.
    Generally engagements are close enough that you can charge with your melee weapon and attack on the same turn. Still, no shame in staying safe if you want to stay out of it.

• Options
    BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    Oops: Bow Damage: 1d6 5

• Options
    edited April 2013
    The arrow ricochets off the cave wall just behind the gunman.
    Gunman3 Made his Save. Just waiting on @jdarksun.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    @SUPERSUGA
    I'm overextended and sick with the flu. Can you replace me with someone? If not, I'll catch back up tonight.

• Options
    No worries @jdarksun We've got more than enough players to go on. We'll assume that your guy is tagging along, so feel free to jump back in later, if you want to.
    The two gunmen that are still armed return fire.
    6 damage to Alfonso, 5 to Cenk. Both are reduced to 0hp and need to pass a DEX Save to avoid Critical Damage.

The middle gunman is still fumbling on the ground for his weapon.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Dex Save: 14.
    Do any of the gunmen seem to have a melee sidearm?

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    Anfonso is thrown to the ground, narrowly avoiding a shot past his head.

The gunmen are barely covered with animal skins, each with a pouch attached. They don't visibly have melee weapons.
    Just as a bit of a time-saver can you put Pass/Fail next to your save results? Just saves me going back and looking up your Ability Score.

• Options
    Kairon charges the middle gunman to buy time for his comrades.
    We just jump to rolling damage, right? If so:
    hatchet to the face!: 1d6 4

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    As Kairon charges the middle gunman, Hansel turns to the remaining armed gunman and shouts "HOLD!" However, the quiver in his voice lets loose that his resolve may be too shaken for his strange power to work.
    WIL save 20. FAIL.

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Tiris, after reloading his weapon, takes aim again at the far right gunman.
    Musket Damage: 1d6+1 = 6 (5)

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Hansel struggles to get to grips with his Arcanum.

Tiris' shot finds the gunman on the right, crippling his leg and sending him sprawling to the ground, out of the fight.

Kairon's axe leaves a deep wound on the middle man's right arm. He cries out in pain, drops his gun, and drops to his knees. The gunman on the left joins him in dropping his weapon and raising his hands.
    Gunman 3 is incapacitated. Gunman 2 takes Critical Damage and surrenders, Gunman 1 following suit.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    While Kairon's axe drips blood menacingly, Cenk stows his bow and collects the primitive's weapons into a pile out of their reach. Returning to the prone grouping, he notes, "So, it seems what we've got here is a failure to communicate."

Bhow on
  • Options
    "Uh... hmm. Taking captives wasn't really part of my plan. Perhaps we can bind them up and leave them here, then let fate decide what becomes of them?"

Kairon steps back and wipes off his hatchet while he considers the gunmen.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Alfonso takes a few moments to catch his breath before saying "If we can, we should try to return them to their tribe and show it we mean no harm without getting blown to bits. Doing that without being able to speak their language, though, is quite a challenge. Still, I'd hate to be ambushed by a few dozens of hunters looking to avenge their kin."

If I want to administer some first aid, should I roll for it?

Grey Paladin on
  • Options
    "I agree that it seems risky to walk right into their tribe, good-will or not. We've already killed one and injured two more. I am also wondering what happens if we let them go; do they come back with more reinforcements or let us be?"

• Options
    Hansel speaks slowly, with intent. "Keep your weapons armed but lowered, friends. I want to try something."

He stashes his musket, and slowly lifts the boar, carrying it towards the surviving gunmen, keeping his eyes on them all the while. Then, he places it in front of them, waving his hands to signal for them to take it, before raising his hands and stepping back.

"Take it. It was your hunt."

• Options
    The unwounded man hesitantly reaches forward and takes the boar.

You patch up the other two. Nothing life threatening, and they seem relatively compliant.
    No roll for run of the mill first aid such as this. You'd be able to patch up the wounded men well enough.

• Options
    Hansel takes off his pack and sets it behind him, before kneeling in front of the unwounded man again. He looks to Alfonso, patching up the wounded gunmen, and turns back to the man carrying the boar with a smile, before slowly extending a hand.

"Friend."

• Options
    The man with the boar eyes Hansel before cautiously taking his hand and shaking it.

• Options
    Moving slowly and keeping his hands in sight, Cenk squats beside Hansel and sketches a rough map of the immediate area in the dusty floor in front of the primitives. He places a dot for each individual in the room, hoping to make connections by pointing to each person and dot in turn. Lastly, he draws the primitives' attention to the as yet unexplored areas, hoping they can fill in some of the empty space.

• Options
    You have seen many blank stares in your life, but the primitives give you the most blank stare yet. Completely baffled.

There's shouting from the south passage. Sounds like at least three more of the men.

Now some more. Maybe five or more approaching.

• Options
    "Well, this is less than ideal," Kairon mutters when he hears the shouting. He positions himself near the entrance to the southerly passage, but off to the side.

• Options
    "Maybe it makes sense for us to get moving. We have the advantage right now, but if five more show up with weapons we may not."

• Options
    Hansel, hearing the shouts, turns slowly, bows slightly, and heads for the ladder.

He turns back briefly to the man holding the boar and puts his hand to his chest. "Friend."

As Hansel climbs up the ladder, he mutters, "I really, really hope he had some idea of what I was talking about..."

• Options
    "Wait, we're retreating? We didn't enjoy a wealth of options for going forward up there."

• Options
    Hansel stops on the ladder. "Perhaps you're right; the noise may have upset mama bear."

He hops down, and moves to the side of the southerly passage opposite to kairon, his hand resting on his hatchet in case he needs to draw it for battle.

• Options
    "What's our play here?" asks Cenk as he unslings and charges his musket. "Do we take the fight to them or hope they recognize Hansel's diplomacy?"

So saying, his readied musket loosely covers the three on the floor from his hip.

• Options
    "If we are going to stay here, might as well hope the diplomacy worked out. We've already removed the weapons from these three, so we'd only have five to deal with worst case," Tiris says.

• Options
    "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst, I say. Be calm, don't make a scene, but keep your arms close at hand... just in case."

• Options
    "Alright, maybe we can at least see who's coming to join us."

Picking up a torch that had fallen, Cenk sidearms it down the hall, then resumes his position with the three natives between him and the door.

• Options
    One of the disarmed men shouts something down the passageway. A gruff voice shouts back, before the disarmed man repeats himself.

There's a short pause. The wounded, disarmed man looks to Hansel and gestures to the passageway, cautiously starting to shuffle towards it.

• Options
    "Friends, if this is it... it's been an honor."

After a deep breath, Hansel moves toward the passageway, following the wounded, disarmed man.

• Options
    Cenk relaxes his stance, helps another of the men up from the floor and gestures him toward the passage, following Hansel.

• Options
    Kairon returns his hatchet to its loop on his belt and falls in with the rest of the group. "If we survive, this should be quite the tale for our grandchildren..."

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Following the disarmed men, you're lead down the winding passageway for around thirty feet, before reaching a huge cave. There are twelve more primitively dressed men here. You recognise two of them as the "ones that got away" from the first trio you saw. Half of the men are carrying pipe guns, similar to the ones you disarmed, four are carrying old-looking crossbows and two have makeshift polearms ending in a serrated glaive.

The cave itself is at least 50ft square. There are hunks of meat, similar to those you saw before, hanging from the ceiling, and the ground is littered with armed beartraps. There are passageways to the North and South.

Every gun, crossbow and glaive is pointed at you. The two men with glaives move forward and try to herd you towards the East wall. You can see that this wall has glass-like tubes protruding from its surface, just as in the first room you entered. One of the disarmed men steps to the glassy tubes and grasps one, tugging it sharply. A tiny, glowing bud forms on the tip of the tube.

He points to Hansel, then to the light.

"Mup!"
    I should have mentioned that, when taking your short rest to patch up the surrendering men, you had enough time to have a Short Rest yourselves, so everyone's back to full HP.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    Hansel cautiously moves to the East wall and reaches to examine the glass tube.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    As Hansel's hand nears the tube, the light reaches out to him. The moment he makes contact he's bathed in light for a moment before disappearing completely.

Hansel only (NO PEEKSIES GUYS)
    Your vision whites out for a moment, and you feel strangely weightless. As your vision returns you're greeted by a cave filled with dismembered corpses. Looks like humans, scraps of clothes suggesting primitives.

There are very narrow tunnels to the north and East, just wide enough to crawl through. The North tunnel is barricaded with rocks and wooden boards, but you should be able to dismantle it.

Glass tubes protrude from the West wall.

You hear a guttural roar from behind the barricade.

The primitives beckon for the rest of you to follow Hansel's lead.

SUPERSUGA on