Options

"I should go", said this [Mass Effect] thread - find the new one.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Omega isn't worth the price tag, and isn't really very interesting or memorable besides.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I just want to say that that is not Big Ben. That is the Tower at the Houses of Parliament. Big Ben is the bell.

And again, the ground forces fighting the Reaper is what I call the Strider Problem.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    the old man

Is voiced by Buzz Aldrin D:
    Just goes to show you should hire an actor if you want someone to act. Buzz Aldrin is a great astronaut and a terrible voice actor.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Also why does the Normandy crash in all the endings? Joker stuck around too long? The Crucible does some sort of magic hyperspace thing that breaks the Normandy enough to make it crash but not enough to fuck it up?

This is the kind of bizarre event everyone playing post-EC will wonder about.
    The original endings were shorter and vaguer. The beam of whatever caught up to the Normandy in mass transit and blew it out and it crash landed and was presumably wrecked, and then your crew got out and stared at the horizon, and then credits. That's the last you saw of them, presumably at the dawn of their new life on a wild planet where everyone assumed they would eventually starve to death, remembered only by a tragically immortal EDI (if present).

Or something. Then in the EC, hey, they were just sight seeing, they got a few postcards, the Normandy is fine, up it goes!

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    dspimonidspimoni Registered User regular
    Just started playing ME3 again. This one spot where I'm eavesdropping a conversation between a shell-shocked commando and a therapist caused some serious feels. It's so easy to forget the small things like that.

• Options
    Also why does the Normandy crash in all the endings? Joker stuck around too long? The Crucible does some sort of magic hyperspace thing that breaks the Normandy enough to make it crash but not enough to fuck it up?

This is the kind of bizarre event everyone playing post-EC will wonder about.
    The original endings were shorter and vaguer. The beam of whatever caught up to the Normandy in mass transit and blew it out and it crash landed and was presumably wrecked, and then your crew got out and stared at the horizon, and then credits. That's the last you saw of them, presumably at the dawn of their new life on a wild planet where everyone assumed they would eventually starve to death, remembered only by a tragically immortal EDI (if present).

Or something. Then in the EC, hey, they were just sight seeing, they got a few postcards, the Normandy is fine, up it goes!
    Well that sounds like a fucking trainwreck. Better track those endings down and check them out too...

• Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    the old man

Just goes to show you should hire an actor if you want someone to act. Buzz Aldrin is a great astronaut and a terrible voice actor.

yeah but when you hire Buzz Aldrin for a few lines you can't really turn him away if the lines are terrible

I can see what they were trying to do with it and it was a cool gesture, kind of hard to know he was going to be an awful VA before they did it though

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    So, I was rather confused about why none of the Mass Effect 2 Cerberus Network DLC content was showing up in my Steam copy of the game, even after I punched in codes in on EA's website and signed in in-game. I just realized that in addition to entering the codes, you have to find a certain page in the labyrinth that is Bioware's SocialNetwork website and download 7 different installers totaling over a gig.

I don't even. WHY?! Why wouldn't they just bundle it with the only edition of the game on Steam? This is stupid.

I mean, I think this is what you have to do? Because I sign into my EA account every time I play the game and I can't even find the system that the Hammerhead stuff is supposed to happen in on the star map.

• Options
    the old man

yeah but when you hire Buzz Aldrin for a few lines you can't really turn him away if the lines are terrible

I can see what they were trying to do with it and it was a cool gesture, kind of hard to know he was going to be an awful VA before they did it though
    I think it's pretty much a given that if you hire a non-actor your voiceover is going to be terrible. Witness literally anything done by amateurs on the Internet, like mods with voice acting or fan films by people who don't know what they are doing.

• Options
    ILMTitanILMTitan Registered User regular
    While I agree that Leviathan is better than Omega, I also feel Omega has more to be experienced than Leviathan. Not only is there more new combat, there is also that great series of renegade interrupts that feel like a tough decision. A youtube translation of Omega loses a lot more than a youtube translation of Leviathan.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    @TychoCelchuuu
    When the endings first came out, and the internet collectively told Bioware to go fuck itself and come up with a better ending, Bioware PR basically said, "No, we will not change it, because it is ART and cannot be changed. But we will expound on it since you plebeian idiots cannot understand it."

Thus nothing that was in the original ending, no matter how stupid, was deleted, it was just "expanded" so it was less bleak.

As a result instead of having the Normandy permanently crashed on a new Eden (where, presumably, the writers thought that EDI and Joker would spawn a new race by themselves), the extended edition had them crash... and then leave. Now the scene has no purpose! ART!

Also since you probably won't see it from the last time I posted it, here are actual notes from one of the writers of the ending (I think Mac Walters?)

1332190712246.png

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    So, I was rather confused about why none of the Mass Effect 2 Cerberus Network DLC content was showing up in my Steam copy of the game, even after I punched in codes in on EA's website and signed in in-game. I just realized that in addition to entering the codes, you have to find a certain page in the labyrinth that is Bioware's SocialNetwork website and download 7 different installers totaling over a gig.

I don't even. WHY?! Why wouldn't they just bundle it with the only edition of the game on Steam? This is stupid.

I mean, I think this is what you have to do? Because I sign into my EA account every time I play the game and I can't even find the system that the Hammerhead stuff is supposed to happen in on the star map.
    On the upside, downloading and installing it that first time gives Steam the OK to automatically download it every subsequent install.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    To be fair to Buzz Aldrin, he was given terrible lines. A veteran voice actor couldn't salvage them.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Don't bother with the Firewalker stuff, it's awful.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    my sweet.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    my sweet.

/shiver

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Red is the best choice, Tycho.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Here Tycho, this is all three original endings, placed next to each other. It starts immediately after you select red, green, or blue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPelM2hwhJA

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Don't bother with the Firewalker stuff, it's awful.

You're awful.

• Options
    Oh god, I forgot about it when the music drops in the original ending, when the Normandy is being engulfed in the wave. It was like I was watching some kind of 50's comedy or something.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    oh yeah, they even had to revise the music cause they made that song end badly too.

man, this time last year, people were PISSED.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    I was less pissed and more depressed, confused, and disillusioned.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    What determines whether you get the "good" or "bad" versions of control and destroy, or the vaporization version of destroy? And was there any difference between good and bad control? I missed that. Those endings are stupid. Holy cow.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    the old man

It still makes me wonder: Buzz Aldrin is 4 years older than Yuri Gagarin (the first man in space). If Gagarin were still alive--would people be hiring him to do crappy lines in video games and movies?

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    What determines whether you get the "good" or "bad" versions of control and destroy, or the vaporization version of destroy? And was there any difference between good and bad control? I missed that. Those endings are stupid. Holy cow.
    This is mostly speculation (just like the writers of the original ending wanted), but I'm pretty sure the Destroy endings are based on war asset thresholds. For control, I'm not sure, it could be the good/bad split is based on the whole paragon/renegade thing, where you either end up as benevolent space cthulhu jesus or space cthulhu dictator.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, destroy is based on war assets. Can't remember control.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    This is mostly speculation (just like the writers of the original ending wanted), but I'm pretty sure the Destroy endings are based on war asset thresholds. For control, I'm not sure, it could be the good/bad split is based on the whole paragon/renegade thing, where you either end up as benevolent space cthulhu jesus or space cthulhu dictator.

Ain't it still only a line or two difference though?

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    More speculation from everyone!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    the last of us is how you do "up to interpretation" for an ending. every developer out there should learn from how ND handled themes there...

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    Okay, well, everything is dumb. I went back and read through some of this thread and I guess the Extended Cut adds some stuff that I would've thought was obviously in the original because otherwise it wouldn't make any goddamn sense (which, considering how bullshit the endings are right now, is an achievement) but nope, that stuff was added later. You'd think for all the effort they put into basically everything else in this game, they'd have bothered making the endings at least coherent, even if it was completely beyond their abilities to make them good. But unfortunately the BioWare writers have their heads so far up their asses that they think forcing people to speculate about the plot by just writing nonsense is the same as being deep. I noticed some hour long YouTube video popped up as "suggested" and it was all about how all the endings are just an illusion and how Shepard is indoctrinated. Good job, BioWare, you managed to turn the ending of your game into an opportunity for conspiracy theories.

• Options
    oh, you don't even know the HALF of it. people were grasping at holographic straws, whatever they could think up that would offer some kind of closure beyond 'the story just jumped off a goddamn building'

that's why Citadel is my canon ending.

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    You have no idea. The height of the ME3 ending fiasco was amazing!

I've never seen that kind of backlash in my life.

YouTube videos, professional screen writers had comments and blogged about it, charity donations to change the ending, consiracy theories going from indoctrination to EA holding back the real ending for DLC $$$, essays, boycotts, reporting to the BBB, hilarious jokes and memes popped up, rage, indifference, tears of unfathomable sadness...

It just went on!

As much controversy as the ending caused, you can say this: If Bioware didn't write such amazing characters and an awesome setting, no one would use cared. The huge backlash and rage, is a testament to how powerful their characters are.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    ILMTitanILMTitan Registered User regular
    You have no idea. The height of the ME3 ending fiasco was amazing!

I've never seen that kind of backlash in my life.

YouTube videos, professional screen writers had comments and blogged about it, charity donations to change the ending, consiracy theories going from indoctrination to EA holding back the real ending for DLC $$$, essays, boycotts, reporting to the BBB, hilarious jokes and memes popped up, rage, indifference, tears of unfathomable sadness...

It just went on!

As much controversy as the ending caused, you can say this: If Bioware didn't write such amazing characters and an awesome setting, no one would use cared. The huge backlash and rage, is a testament to how powerful their characters are.

You forgot about cupcakes.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Okay, well, everything is dumb. I went back and read through some of this thread and I guess the Extended Cut adds some stuff that I would've thought was obviously in the original because otherwise it wouldn't make any goddamn sense (which, considering how bullshit the endings are right now, is an achievement) but nope, that stuff was added later.

The EC also adds
    that bit on the run to the beam where you say goodbye to your squadmate and the Normandy evacs them. Originally they just got blown away by a laser or something and you didn't see what became of them, and if they weren't shown getting off the Normandy in the crash people were like "uh so they died on Earth?"

So then we get that scene with a goodbye and also the Normandy swooping down and Harbinger, by this point characteristically of reapers, patiently waiting for them to wrap up and leave so he can get back to attacking.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    @TychoCelchuuu

The last dream sequence.
    That wasn't the clone from Citadel, that shit was in the base game.

And don't blame the entire writing staff on the ending for ME3; that (originally) was all Casey Hudson and Mac Walters, with no other oversight/input. The Extended Cut is where the rest of the team was brought in to salvage what they could.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    @TychoCelchuuu

The last dream sequence.
    That wasn't the clone from Citadel, that shit was in the base game.
    Yep, that's the joke I was making.

• Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    the old man

It still makes me wonder: Buzz Aldrin is 4 years older than Yuri Gagarin (the first man in space). If Gagarin were still alive--would people be hiring him to do crappy lines in video games and movies?

No, because Yuri Gagarin was a hero of the soviet empire.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    And don't blame the entire writing staff on the ending for ME3; that (originally) was all Casey Hudson and Mac Walters, with no other oversight/input. The Extended Cut is where the rest of the team was brought in to salvage what they could.

Amusingly Mac Walters pretty much stopped tweeting forever as a result.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    oh, you don't even know the HALF of it. people were grasping at holographic straws, whatever they could think up that would offer some kind of closure beyond 'the story just jumped off a goddamn building'

Indoctrination theory

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options

Indoctrination theory
    Intoxication Theory is better.

sig.gif