Options

[Iron Man 3, Man of Steel] Phase 2 begins now.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    The Avengers was so bad it retroactively ruined Iron Man for me. I am not sure I'll watch the new one.

dang, that's a real lonely opinion to have there

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    The Avengers was so bad it retroactively ruined Iron Man for me. I am not sure I'll watch the new one.

what did you think was so bad about the avengers

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I...what

I mean thinking Avengers is bad is one thing

But letting it ruin another perfectly good movie? Thats dumb

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Straightzi wrote: »
    In the context of the movie, I liked it, in the context of an adaptation, not so hot on it.

eh, I these aren't adapting specific stories, so whatever

I want more changes to comic book stories and characters when they're adapted to movies, forget how hardcore comic nerds are going to react, because they're a tiny portion of your audience

do what is going to make the movie better

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    In the context of the movie, I liked it, in the context of an adaptation, not so hot on it.

eh, I these aren't adapting specific stories, so whatever

I want more changes to comic book stories and characters when they're adapted to movies, forget how hardcore comic nerds are going to react, because they're a tiny portion of your audience

do what is going to make the movie better

Oh totally. I agree pretty much all around, especially because I'm not even really an Iron Man fan.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I'm trying to think of what in The Avengers could ruin Iron Man

If you're an Iron Man fan, by all accounts you should have fucking loved The Avengers

He was front and center and full of that snark the whole time

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Just picked up ultimate spider-man volume 1 and also a dresden files comic.

The free comic day comics were picked pretty clean.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    People getting mad about the Mandarin twist are stupid

On top of being a brilliant twist within the movie, it was also a twist on comic fans expectations. I went into this thing thinking I had most of the plot of the movie figured out, that twist alone me realize that a lot of this movie was about messing with comic fans expectations. The PTSD, the fact he barely spent time in the armor, and him quitting being Iron Man were all things ment to subvert our expectations.

If they had used Mandarin exactly as we expected them to would it have been nearly as satisfying?

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    I thought Iron Man 3 was great. A movie that features the Melter as the main villain is going to make a bajillion dollars.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    IM3 Spoilers.
    I wonder how Ben Kingsley feels about the Mandarin twist.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    IM3 Spoilers.

$$$$$$$

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    IM3 Spoilers.

IM3
    He must have known about it from the start
    It's not like they sold it to him that he'd be the main villain

He probably thought it was a lot of fun
    It looked like he enjoyed himself at least

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Gots my ticket for IM3 this afternoon.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Ben Kingsley got to play two roles, essentially.

Also, I love WARMACHINEROX.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

dang, that's a real lonely opinion to have there

Good heavens.

That's like... two things that don't make sense in the same sentence.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »

A fun little thing they did with
    WARMACHINEROX was that as Tony types in the password you see the letters flash really quickly. That gat another chuckle out of me

Semi-related, is the Iron Man 3 prelude comic any good?

• Options
    PUnisher Warzone is a movie where a policeman tries to read a guy his right and the Punisher just blows his head off and Officer just screams "GODDAMN IT CASTLE"

Why does this wonderful movie need defending?

It defends itself so well.

Okay, yes, I enjoyed that scene.

• Options
    Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    I get the feeling I am not going to leave this thread alive.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    I think you're dramatically overstating your own controversy

this crowd has been inoculated against people exhibiting poorly reasoned negative opinions of the avengers movie

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »

WARMACHINEROX was that as Tony types in the password you see the letters flash really quickly. That gat another chuckle out of me

warmachine_68

Dude wasn't even on the ground floor to reserve his own name in the limited world of the what 10 people that can access that satellite

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Dichotomy wrote: »

this crowd has been inoculated against people exhibiting poorly reasoned negative opinions of the avengers movie

I mean, I could still pitch a fit at you, if you want.

I'm sure I've got a tantrum brewing about some damn thing or other, I could just replace what I'm really angry at with you, if you feel like it would help, Paladin.

Edit: Interesting, quote markers... very interesting.

Gonna leave it like that.

sarukun on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Every now and then I'll toss in Avengers just to watch the last half hour.

• Options
    Oh, bullocks, I don't own the Avengers on bluray.

This is a distressing realization to come to.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

I think perhaps you are overestimating how much it takes to get people angry at you.

Which I suppose was your point since this was your follow up post to two really tame and reasonable replies

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    the deleted scene where Loki is like "your aliens suck they stink", to which he is told "well you have the scepter dumbbutt command them"

but whoops the scepter is back on the roof

classic Loki

Weaver on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I never understood the accolades Avengers got, myself. I mean, it was a pretty good movie, the last fight scene was pretty awesome, but as a film, not so much. And the ending was... well let's put it this way. It cribbed from Phantom Menace.

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »

warmachine_68

Dude wasn't even on the ground floor to reserve his own name in the limited world of the what 10 people that can access that satellite

im3
    I assumed that he uses that as his user name for everything. the 68 is presumably the year he was born

• Options
    Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    The previous post might not have been Entirely Serious.
    Dichotomy wrote: »

Excellent. I fit that profile pretty well.

But seriously, The Avengers wasn't actually a bad movie in any objective sense. I just can't stand most of the characters in it who aren't Tony Stark. Obviously that movie wasn't aimed at me. Dimension hopping norse deities kinda go against the feel Iron Man had going in his solo run, and render the solo plotlines pretty insignificant on the global scale.

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I never understood the accolades Avengers got, myself. I mean, it was a pretty good movie, the last fight scene was pretty awesome, but as a film, not so much. And the ending was... well let's put it this way. It cribbed from Phantom Menace.

What?

It's definitely a film that rewards watching other movies but it's decent as a stand alone.

I have no idea what you're talking about regarding Phantom menace

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    I hope there's a similar kind of twist in Amazing Spider-Man. Gwen falling off a bridge is just... predictable now. We all know it's gonna happen. Surprise us!

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

What?

It's definitely a film that rewards watching other movies but it's decent as a stand alone.

The way the chitauri are defeated vs the way the robots are defeated.

And as I said, it's a decent movie, but, well I guess it's just like everything I've seen of Whedon. It has some great ideas in it, but it doesn't always gel. For me, at least, I don't give a shit at all about the villains. And the ending is rushed.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

What?

Kill the command center and all the soldiers shut down
    It's how they beat the battle droids in Ep. 1

• Options
    It was okay for The Avengers to be one big climax because it had five movies of exposition preceding it

I don't expect The Avengers 2 to be any different

Just an ultimate team-up fuck-shit-up movie

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »

warmachine_68

Maybe Rhodey was born in 1968.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Bridge falls off a Gwen Stacy.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Also I watched The Amazing Spider-Man again the other night, after Iron Man 3

Irrfan Khan was in both that and Life of Pi in the same year, I didn't really think anything of it, just when I saw Life of Pi I thought "oh, the guy from Amazing Spider-Man"

But then he was talking to Curt Connors and brought up Richard Parker and my mind was blown

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    This felt a lot more like Iron Man 1, a lot more self-contained, because while it made reference to the events of The Avengers as some important shit that happened, it wasn't as jammed full of easter eggs or references to the comics and the larger cinematic universe like IM2 was

Really all I can think of is
    the Extremis soldiers having names of comic characters while being completely unrelated characters otherwise

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    Bridge falls off a Gwen Stacy.

star trek generations joke

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    not liking the avengers is fine (well, no it's not but whatever), but how does it ruin iron man for you? The only iron man related beef to have about the avengers is perhaps that there wasn't enough iron man, but if that's the case oh hey we got you iron man three, which should be right up your alley

ed: also it isn't like the idea of a bunch of little robots being controlled by one big robot brain which the heroes can destroy at great personal risk is something that only two movies ever came up with

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

If you're looking to say things just to get people to react (which you are), I think you'll find that people just don't give a shit about what you have to say and will basically ignore you.

Langly on
This discussion has been closed.