As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The 7th Annual West Coast Train Trip - Looking for Group

• Options
    jthom252jthom252 Duarte, CARegistered User regular
    To be fair, if you're willing to walk I know that there's a Quality Inn a bit farther north of the convention center that you could get cheaper rates at. To be fair I tried the cheap hotel thing once, but it was only the night that PAX ended, I couldn't really see myself wanting to do it for the entire duration since you'd have to skip out on anything late night (concerts, parties, etc.) .

Still have yet to finish getting my travel settled, what is the going rate on train tickets currently?

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    @jthom, the train going there is $141, and coming back is $113. If you happen to have points you can use, it's 5,500 points each way, so you might want to look into that as well; it looks like they take transfers from all the major hotel programs, as well as Chase credit cards and a few other programs. The 4-day PAX means you just barely miss the Labor Day weekend blackout dates for points tickets.

https://www.amtrakguestrewards.com/points/transfer

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    DolusDolus Registered User new member
    TimberJon wrote: »
    First time for PAX and the PAXTrain for me.

Same here. :D

First time at PAX and first time on the PAXTrain!

I'll be coming from San Diego, so I'm making a connecting train trip. I'm also much more of a board gamer than anything else, so I'll be bringing a good few along with me. Not sure which ones, yet.

• Options
    rondhirondhi Registered User new member
    Just booked my PAXTrain tickets and filled out the roster form! I haven't been on PAXTrain since 2008, and PAX Prime since 2009.

If some of you were there in 2008, I was a short brown guy with an ukulele. A lot of Mario Kart DS was played and it was plenty of fun!

I'm excited to see how good cellular coverage is five years later, and if there is LTE coverage at all.

Movie suggestion: The Avengers or Wreck-It Ralph

• Options
    jthom252jthom252 Duarte, CARegistered User regular
    There seemed to be pretty consistent LTE coverage as long as the train was in California, but aside from that you could only really get it around Portland / Tacoma / Seattle.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    If anyone is interested I got a sleeper room and am in need a of a roommate. Boarding at LA and $186.50 would be your share.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Morgan BlackpowderMorgan Blackpowder Registered User regular
    I would like to point out to the PAXTrain that Amtrak has a pretty good AAA discount. Saved me and my SO 80 bucks on a roomette!

• Options
    ginsusamuraiginsusamurai Registered User regular
    So are we! We'll have to find each other!
    jthom252 wrote: »
    I'll probably be heading down from the Gold Line morning of if anyone else from the Pasadena area is going.

• Options
    smerksmerk Registered User regular
    @TNTrooper I'd be keen to take that

What is this 'Pants' of which you speak?
  • Options
    spamwisespamwise Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Confirmed for PAXTrain! I'll be joining you all in Emeryville. This'll be my third PAX, and my umpteenth Amtrak trip, but my first combination of the two. Looking forward to it. :D

(edit) I have a question: is anyone going to be bringing coolers (or fridges)? I'd bring one myself if I didn't need to make the return trip by plane -- just wondering if I should limit myself to nonperishables when bringing snacks to share.

spamwise on
  • Options
    YamaraYamara Registered User regular
    Tickets are bought! My husband convinced me we should get a roomette on the way there this year. We're also dragging some friends along who are new to the train. We'll be getting on in Davis and Sac.

As for perishables... I like bringing pizza, as it's good cold, and lots of people leave it sitting out anyway. With the right toppings, it can make a good breakfast. I'd recommend limiting yourself to perishable food that you expect to be eaten right away, and nonperishable stuff that'll last without the aid of others' coolers. Fruit works well.

Last time a pizza order was made midway, I think in Portland? Hopefully I kept that information. Fresh pizza and salad delivered to the train was absolutely lovely.

We want strategy board game testers! Check out Paiko's Indie Game thread.
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    We got the pizza from www.roventepizzeria.com downtown location for the last 2 years.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    We got the pizza from www.roventepizzeria.com downtown location for the last 2 years.

We should do that again. That was good pizza.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Alright, tickets bought. Gonna go for Jack London Square again instead of San Jose. Despite the new origin point, it'll still take 30m longer to get to SJC for about $5 more per person.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    Are we doing the t-shirts again this year?

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    BilboFragginsBilboFraggins Registered User new member
    I'll be there! Getting on at Union Station on Wednesday morning!

For those who don't remember me, my name's Steve and I rode up on the train for PAX 2011. Unfortunately I couldn't get tickets for PAX 2012 due to the Great Ticket Shortage. This year I managed to barely slip into the queue.

I'm super excited for the ride up and the convention itself. I was dead set on going every year after my first time and missing out last year was heart breaking.

I can DM some D&D games if people are interested. I have all of the books on my laptop and everything we need if we wanted to play. You'll just need a pencil and a set of dice (you can grab a set for $5-$10 at your local hobby shop). I can do a module or just make something up. I tend to just improvise when I DM for my friends, which has led to some great moments so far! Never fear if you're a beginner, it's incredibly easy to learn.

If people are interested please say so. It'll be 4th Edition as that's easiest to learn, although I certainly wouldn't be opposed to doing a game of Mines of Madness from DnD Next! Anyone who needs access to the books PM me your e-mail address and I'll send them to you.

@TimeCruiserMike if you don't mind, can you set up a sign up for D&D in the OP?

• Options
    TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Looking for Group
    Table Top/Pen and Paper RPG's are a great way to break the ice and make new friends on the PAXTrain. If you'd like to run a game, post in the thread that you are a GM along with your details, and I will add your info here, and link to this post in the OP
    • Game: We need to know what game you'd like to run. Doctor Who, Battlestar Galactica, Pathfinder, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, etc.
    • Time: When do you plan on running your game?
    • Number of Players: How many players are you looking to bring into your adventure? As player slots fill please be sure update your post in the thread.
    • Characters: Should players make their own characters ahead of time or would you prefer they roll them on the train? Or would you prefer to offer a selection of pre-made characters?
    • Equipment: Will your players be expected to bring their own dice or do you have dice to lend? Are there other things you would like them to bring if they're able?
    • Misc.: Other information you may feel is important for potential victims players to know about your game.
    • Contact: how would you like potential players to contact you?

If you'd like to join a group but don't see an available game that you'd like to try post in the thread with:
    LFG
    • Game: what sort of game(s) would you'd like to join
    • Time: when are you available to play
    • Equipment: can you bring dice, figure, rulebooks, etc. anything that might make it easier for your potential GM to run a game for you.

Running a Game:
    N/A

Looking for Group:
    superwoot
      *Game: Any *Time: Getting on at Santa Barbara around noon on Wednesday. *Equipment: Dice, laptop, possibly books. *My girlfriend and I are both looking for a game. She is novice, I am noob.

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • Options
    TimberJonTimberJon Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Well
    kropotkin wrote: »
    Speaking as someone who will attend their 10th PAX when this Prime runs, I think that what you're proposing is a profoundly bad idea.

1st PAX here so (edit) please (/edit) don't grill me. I'll apologize in person if my bad idea truly offended you.
    I didn't know this show runs into the AM or I would have held back. Either way, looking forward to meeting you on the Train.

TimberJon on
  • Options
    TimberJonTimberJon Registered User regular
    @TimeCruiserMike, I'm a little short on gear but I think I might be able to contribute with a Fan. Its an 18", oscillating, 2000 CFM fan. I'm willing to lug it on and off the train. You mentioned fans are needed like it is rare for anyone to bring one so I'll step up.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    TimberJon wrote: »
    Well
    kropotkin wrote: »
    Speaking as someone who will attend their 10th PAX when this Prime runs, I think that what you're proposing is a profoundly bad idea.

1st PAX here so (edit) please (/edit) don't grill me. I'll apologize in person if my bad idea truly offended you.
    I didn't know this show runs into the AM or I would have held back. Either way, looking forward to meeting you on the Train.

I don't think anybody's offended, we're just trying to warn you that you'd be doing yourself a disservice (some of us a bit more forcefully than necessary, I'll admit). I've only been to one PAX, but I'm pretty sure the only day I made it back to my hotel room before 2AM was the last day. If you're getting a hotel room out by the airport, you'll either have to cut your time short, or get a car (and deal with the hassle of parking downtown, driving when you're already exhausted from PAXing it up, etc). Far better to find some way to stay in walking distance. There are a few options that are more budget friendly than the major convention hotels within a mile of the convention center, and there's always the option of room-splitting.

CuvisTheConqueror on
    xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Learning pains.

We learned not to book rooms too far from the con i.e. Holiday Inn i.e. the year it rained often and got really windy i.e. the year everyone got really sick.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    superwootsuperwoot 6th Annual Triwizard - Slytherin DE Santa barbara, CARegistered User regular
    Game: Any
    Time: Getting on at Santa Barbara around noon on Wednesday.
    Equipment: Dice, laptop, possibly books.

My girlfriend and I are both looking for a game. She is novice, I am noob.

In the strangest of ways...
  • Options
    SpaceGhost2KSpaceGhost2K Registered User regular
    Hey all.

I did the Rock Band thing one year, with the projector. Was super fun but I 'bout killed the kid who wouldn't quit butchering "Mississippi Queen." To note: Part of the deal with taking over the arcade car is that we have to let anyone on the train who wants to play RB do so.

I did the train two years, a plane one year, and drove last year (from Bakersfield). I have a friend in the SF area with perpetual foot injury so I drove him so he could take his scooter and other necessities. Since we're both going again this year, the train is out for me again. (Still want a shirt when the time comes.)

My biggest piece of advice, after having my laptop stolen from the train on the ride home near Albany OR - don't take anything you can't trust out of your site. The PAXers aren't likely culprits but there are a lot of other people on the train. Watch that RB stuff like a hawk. I literally slept on the floor of the arcade car where my stuff was, with my stuff between me and the wall.

Otherwise, I miss Mike and Maryann and all youse nutses.

• Options
    LordFizzlebeefLordFizzlebeef Registered User regular
    Is there any news on shirts this year? I don't remember who organized that in years past.

• Options
    ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    A LordFizzle beat me to it. I also was wondering about shirts!

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    DurinthalDurinthal Registered User regular
    It looks like I got the right train for the return trip without consulting the thread first. While I live out east and will be flying to Seattle, I'm going to visit friends in Portland after the show (they have to go back to work right away, otherwise they'd likely be on the train with me).

I did the train trip for East 2011 and I'm familiar with how much fun it is, so I'm looking forward to joining you all after an even more exhausting PAX and my first Prime.

• Options
    Morgan BlackpowderMorgan Blackpowder Registered User regular
    Quick Question: Anyone know if the Roomettes lock? Would be nice to secure my things.

• Options
    StingrayXStingrayX Redding, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Got my ticket! =D Will be leaving from Redding, CA (around 3 a.m....bleh). It will be my first PAX and my first ever train ride. Get HYPE!

StingrayX on
    StingrayX.png
  • Options
    Chee-Kay EchsChee-Kay Echs Registered User regular
    Quick Question: Anyone know if the Roomettes lock? Would be nice to secure my things.

Hello.

I don't believe they do from the outside (I will check when I go to work Wed.), but since the only people who have access to the sleeper cars are sleeper car passengers themselves, it has never really been a problem.

I am thinking of taking train 501 down to PDX the day of the trip and getting on The Coast Starlight to ride up again. I have that week off so I will see what things look like the closer we get.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Provided my procurement of PAX passes works out, I may be joining with you guys in the PDX. Will only be on the train for a few hours, but still a fun initial meet and greet!

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Chee-Kay EchsChee-Kay Echs Registered User regular
    Hello.

Sorry I took so long to get back. Summertime is a busy time for the rails...

Sleeper roomettes or suites do not lock on the outside, only from within.

• Options
    I had a dream last night that we all decided we couldn't wait for PAX and got the train to Seattle and back for no reason at all.

The closer we get to PAX, the more I have PAXTrain on the brain.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    Thought I'd give this a bump for any Left Coasties making last-minute travel plans. Train tickets are still available, and still cheap!

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Still more expensive than the Bolt Bus though. I am very torn. Spend four hours on the train with you guys for more dollahs, or save dollahs and just ride the Bolt Bus. I have no idea why I'm being a mizer about this all things considered.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    samdavidsamdavid Registered User new member
    ouch. just bought our tickets, and the prices went up! oh well, excited for my first paxtrain trip to my first PAX.

• Options
    superwootsuperwoot 6th Annual Triwizard - Slytherin DE Santa barbara, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Any news of Table Games going on!? I will be bringing along Settlers of Katan, but I really would like to get down on a D&D game!

superwoot on
  • Options
    skydiver8skydiver8 Registered User new member
    I totally spaced on the thread and roster sheet, I bought my tix a while ago and will be hopping on the PAX train. I put on the form that I'll be getting on in LA, but really I'm starting in San Diego, so if anyone else is leaving from SD, give me a shout. I am sorry to say I can't bring much gear, as I'll be meeting my hubby after PAX and going on a cruise to Alaska. I am a complete, total, 100% tabletop/board game NOOB (i didn't come into my nerdhood until late), but if you guys are willing to teach, I'm willing to learn.

What I CAN contribute is a well-run poker game (for M&Ms or pennies or whatever) if anyone is interested.

• Options
    MitchEviousMitchEvious Registered User regular
    Got my tickets a while ago. I went last year, but didn't realize I was on the PAX train. This year I'm bringing two newbies with me.

• Options
    ginsusamuraiginsusamurai Registered User regular

[/quote]

I don't think anybody's offended, we're just trying to warn you that you'd be doing yourself a disservice (some of us a bit more forcefully than necessary, I'll admit). I've only been to one PAX, but I'm pretty sure the only day I made it back to my hotel room before 2AM was the last day. If you're getting a hotel room out by the airport, you'll either have to cut your time short, or get a car (and deal with the hassle of parking downtown, driving when you're already exhausted from PAXing it up, etc). Far better to find some way to stay in walking distance. There are a few options that are more budget friendly than the major convention hotels within a mile of the convention center, and there's always the option of room-splitting.[/quote]

Actually, I recommend the car service Uber, which does late night pick up and drop offs, door to door. You can download the app to your phone, and they charge a credit card on file, so you don't have to carry cash. You can get a car for 4 people to pick up and drop off within a few miles of the convention center for around $10 (split with a group, that's less than train/metro tickets, and they run late nights). Bigger cars for up to 6 are around $20. Use the link below, and you even get a $10 credit after your first ride!

https://uber.com/invite/fq0bo

My crew and I are staying near the stadium (about 1.5 miles from the convention center), and we plan to take turns paying for the car as necessary. Not as convenient as being AT the convention center, but we have a sweet place to stay for half the cost, and we get shuttled around like rock stars!

• Options
    This is my first PAXtrain as well, but I will suggest to all other first timers to read through this thread. There is a fair amount of useful info!

Also, I am still searching for a DM for the trip. I will be bringing my gameklip and Settlers just in case no DMs are available.