Options

[Oculus Rift+STEM+Omni] IGN best hardware '13, Best of CES 2 years running

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    I really don't know why people keep bringing up the Kickstarter with this news. Frankly, who gives a shit - the Kickstarter can and probably will still be fulfilled with Facebook holding the reins, for better or worse.

The issue here is corporate interest over creative interest.

because people feel like they are owed something beyond the rewards for having contributed over kickstarter.

There is a very strange "ownership" issue that forms in the minds of kickstarters that I haven't seen anywhere else when it comes to preorders.

Which is all it is. Its a glorified preorder.

edit: there are people out there who feel like they deserve a cut of the facebook payout because they contributed to the kickstarter. That's just insane.

It makes a lot of sense, because the kickstarter model is essentially investing in a company, it just is the shittiest investment imaginable - you get no equity, just an unenforceable guarantee that you'll get some of their product in the future. That's why kickstarter is BS - you are an investor with all of the downside risk and none of the upside. But given ks backer's functional role, it doesn't surprise me that people intuit their way into realizing they should have had equity in compensation for the risk they took by backing the KS.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Can't say I agree with that, because thanks to Kickstarter, and my pledges among many others, a number of things (games, films etc.) have come to be that otherwise would have been extremely unlikely to exist.

I understand that Kickstarter pledgers feel emotionally invested in what they support - I do too - but they need a reality check as to what they're entitled to and where their expectations become wildly unrealistic. The KS pledgers got what they supported out of that particular campaign; if they think this entitles them to a say in what happens to the business, especially *after* the Development Kit (which is what the campaign was about) has been delivered, is wildly unrealistic, to say the least.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    The only "investment" you make with crowd funding is faith. Please stop pretending it is anything but that.

Edit - It's pre-ordering with risk.

Henroid on
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    My argument never was that Kickstarter backers were entitled.

My argument is that asking for crowdfunding to get "dev kits" out to people, then riding the wave of free social media advertising and hype to sell your business for $Texas seems a little shady to me.

It's ok if it doesn't seem shady to you. It's just an opinion. No one really knows what OR's intent was. We can only speculate. Some people like to give the benefit of the doubt, and others are cynical.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Did they say anything about why they went for a buyout instead of say, a venture capital investment firm?

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »
    Did they say anything about why they went for a buyout instead of say, a venture capital investment firm?

I'm sure they had 2 billion reasons to be bought out by Facebook.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    on the one hand, i realize that if i can hook it up to a PC, it can be jailbroken/bypassed/hacked to go back to pure hardware (if it does have some razer-esqe software suite nastiness attached)

on the other hand, i really don't like having to do that. practically speaking, i get what i want either way - a fantastic VR display.

but i wanted to TRUST oculus. not view them and the rift with the inherent suspicion that's associated with facebook.

I genuinely do not understand this mindset.

Like, the Oculus Rift is a display device. It runs over HDMI and USB. It is in the same bucket as every other device you buy that does these things and uses some type of drivers. This nebulous assertion that somehow it was automatically going to be so popular that Facebook will clearly put spyware into the drivers/headset/position tracking camera is insane.

I mean everyone has a Google browser installed, Android and Apple smartphones, Microsoft OS's...the idea that that type of intrusion is in someway plausible, but that none of those other companies would ever do that, is insane.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    on the one hand, i realize that if i can hook it up to a PC, it can be jailbroken/bypassed/hacked to go back to pure hardware (if it does have some razer-esqe software suite nastiness attached)

on the other hand, i really don't like having to do that. practically speaking, i get what i want either way - a fantastic VR display.

but i wanted to TRUST oculus. not view them and the rift with the inherent suspicion that's associated with facebook.

Like, the Oculus Rift is a display device. It runs over HDMI and USB. It is in the same bucket as every other device you buy that does these things and uses some type of drivers. This nebulous assertion that somehow it was automatically going to be so popular that Facebook will clearly put spyware into the drivers/headset/position tracking camera is insane.

I mean everyone has a Google browser installed, Android and Apple smartphones, Microsoft OS's...the idea that that type of intrusion is in someway plausible, but that none of those other companies would ever do that, is insane.

i don't use Chrome for precisely that reason, actually. sure, it's faster, but between gmail and youtube they have enough presence in my life. I've switched away from using google as a search engine too.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus

Or it could be that they know those places also gather info and didn't want it from another source. But, please, keep reducing people that don't agree with you to the level of sea sponges.

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Having tried it myself I was 100% on board with the Rift, day 1 buy for me. However with the Facebook buy out I don't know how confident I am in this product anymore. I'm definitely going to have to wait and see.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote: »
    My argument never was that Kickstarter backers were entitled.

My argument is that asking for crowdfunding to get "dev kits" out to people, then riding the wave of free social media advertising and hype to sell your business for $Texas seems a little shady to me.

It's ok if it doesn't seem shady to you. It's just an opinion. No one really knows what OR's intent was. We can only speculate. Some people like to give the benefit of the doubt, and others are cynical.

Kickstarter seems like a "first-try" product. There are too many flaws inherent to the system, all of which are being revealed as more of these things happen. It's an honor system that portrays itself as a friend of artists and small businesses, which requires a certain culture of trust surrounding the process. That gets eroded every time a company does something like this.

The next step, I believe, will be a service that allows micro-investments into a company but also provides a mechanism for delivering returns. Essentially, something between a pre-order and a stock buy. If the legal and implementation hurdles could be cleared, that would eliminate most of the carping and hesitation with how KS currently functions.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Just wait until meta data-mining software is developed to determine what direction you tend to look or turn your head to, for the sake of bringing ads even more to your attention.

Also I can't decide if I'm saying this sardonically or not because that would actually be frustrating as hell and is the sort of thing marketing has researched for decades.

• Options
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    Having tried it myself I was 100% on board with the Rift, day 1 buy for me. However with the Facebook buy out I don't know how confident I am in this product anymore. I'm definitely going to have to wait and see.

Probably the fairest approach to this news. I think a lot of people are just wanting to voice their skepticism given how Facebook operates. They can't be blamed, because it's not like that shit is deniable. But I'm willing to allow a not-as-likely chance that this won't twist the Rift in some way.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote: »
    "Riding the wave of free social media advertising and hype". Huh. It's almost as if they didn't develop, and continue developing, a piece of hardware that's improving. Tell me, did they also get Carmack as a strategy to sell their business for $Texas?

It's just that your reasoning here makes little sense, because it suggests that everything they've done so far had the alterior motive of getting someone like FB interested. There are two issues I have with this: 1) The success of OR is entirely dependent on them producing a piece of tech that's promising, and KS backing alone does not guarantee that, and 2) Oculus Rift is a business. They delivered everything they promised to the backers. Which part of having a business and making money with that business is shady in this scenario?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    I wasn't aware there were so many Facebook defenders around. Like, genuinely. Some people are positively leaping to shield the Cult of Zuckerburg with zeal. Learn something new every day.

We have a pretty low bar for discourse in here. You're currently below it.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    For me, I feel like they could easily shut down most complaints by announcing soon that they're launching in November for $250. Luckey saying that it means they're able to speed up development and launch at a lower price has to actually be reflected by actions. Then again, I'm pretty sure that as with all things, the complaints are coming from a vocal minority and Oculus aren't even slightly worried about losing support or having to earn back anything. They're destined for big things whatever happens.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    A small developer creating a device by the people and for the people is certainly a romantic ideal.

From a narrative standpoint I would have liked to see them get bought out by a different company. Like ASUS, Nvidia or AMD. Facebook just seems like an odd fit - which I think is why people are kinda skeptical.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    For all my hesitation about Facebook's involvement, my excitement for mainstream VR overwhelms it. They could fuck it up, (though I have some faith in the Oculus team), but this is another big step to validating the concept in the public consciousness. It doesn't really matter if the actual Rift gets co-opted for other purposes so long as the technology finds a foothold.

• Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I think the Facebook acquisition is horrible, horrible news. It may even kill the program for good (so I'm glad there are other alternatives in the works). Facebook is not the right company to be involved with cutting edge tech development like this. Not only are they are a greedy money grubbing organization with no respect for their users who will relentlessly exploit whatever information they can get their hands on, but, more importantly, look at the way they handle games on Facebook and the way they have routinely shafted games developers. . They are not the right platform for this, at all. Their involvement is an enormous net negative. As would be the involvement of any of the big names out there who would stifle creativity and focus primarily on their own profit. I would not be happy to learn that EA had acquired Oculus Rift, for example. It needs to remain untrammeled.

I was very excited about Oculus Rift, now I'm concerned the taint of Facebook may kill it entirely. When games like minecraft start ditching their OR deals....it's hard to remain hopeful. Having facebook call the shots is going to kill the desire of game developers to work with OR.

That's not even really considering all the users may be turned off from anything facebook related after all the stunts they have pulled. (which is also significant - if there was a lineup of VR systems, the one from facebook would literally be the last one I would buy). But this is bad news even from purely a games developer standpoint.

This is probably bad news for the rift but good news for VR generally.

Vorpal on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Meanwhile, MSNBC just did a story on the Oculus Rift on-air.

Rift is going to be huge in a way it did not have the capacity to reach any time soon.

And it's going to happen fast. This is the thing thats not even released yet that Zuckerberg spent 2 billion dollars on. They are going to market this and make it socially acceptable, even.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    For me, I feel like they could easily shut down most complaints by announcing soon that they're launching in November for $250. Luckey saying that it means they're able to speed up development and launch at a lower price has to actually be reflected by actions. Then again, I'm pretty sure that as with all things, the complaints are coming from a vocal minority and Oculus aren't even slightly worried about losing support or having to earn back anything. They're destined for big things whatever happens.
    Yeah, I mean, if it means making the Rift cheap enough that I could buy it without feeling like a massive fucking tool, I don't care who is behind it in an abstract sense. I mean, I'm not a huge Facebook fan, but even if I hated them I'm not sure I'd hate them enough to want to pay extra for a Rift just to avoid a Facebook logo on the side which I can cover with electrical tape.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I like Facebook

• Options

Rift is going to be huge in a way it did not have the capacity to reach any time soon.

And it's going to happen fast. This is the thing thats not even released yet that Zuckerberg spent 2 billion dollars on. They are going to market this and make it socially acceptable, even.

Thank God for that. I would hate to do something that wasn't socially acceptable.

• Options
    Lezard ValethLezard Valeth Registered User regular
    I'm sure Facebook just want to compete against Google Glass and/or expand their operations using new technology. The easiest way is to buy someone who's already working on augmented reality. What's next? Now they're going to kill the OR or rebrand it as something different (like, I don't know, Facebook Glass).
    If you were expecting to use the Rift for videogames, sorry; that's not going to happen.

firma1m.th.jpg
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    The only "investment" you make with crowd funding is faith. Please stop pretending it is anything but that.

Edit - It's pre-ordering with risk.

That's a nice opinion, but it's not much more than that.
    It' pretty uncool to tell people how they should feel regarding Kickstarters, because the issue is far from that simple.

BTW, I do believe that the best approach is waiting and seeing.

I do not believe that FB will turn the Rift into a Orwellian nightmare, I'm worried about FB getting bored with the Rift or not knowing what do with it and shutting it down. Or going all EA on it.

But, again, I don't know if that will ever happen. All we're doing right now is guessing, both the people who loved the news and the people who hated it. We're all guessing.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Vorpal wrote: »
    When games like minecraft start ditching their OR deals....it's hard to remain hopeful.

To be fair, a game didn't ditch a deal. A man named Notch who already thought his game would be an odd fit for the device agreed to think about making a version of it, and 2 weeks later this made him reconsider. I doubt any work had even started on the project.
    Notch wrote:
    Of course, [Oculus] wanted Minecraft. I said that it doesn't really fit the platform, since it's very motion based, runs on java (that has a hard time delivering rock solid 90 fps, especially since the players build their own potentially hugely complex levels), and relies a lot on GUI. But perhaps it would be cool to do a slimmed down version of Minecraft for the Oculus. Something free, similar to the Minecraft PI Edition, perhaps? So I suggested that, and our people started talking to their people to see if something could be done.

And then, not two weeks later, Facebook buys them.

And I think Notch is well known to be temperamental and opinionated.

And his decision here has no bearing on whether or not Minecraft is supported on OR, because it already is.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Thank God for that. I would hate to do something that wasn't socially acceptable.

... you do know that social acceptability is a big reason that google glass is probably DOA, right?

Video gaming is socially acceptable now. Binge watching TV shows is too.

Facebook has the kind of mindshare and advertising muscle to convince people that putting on a huge mask and disappearing into VR isn't something only social pariahs do.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    More than Sony and every other company that is pushing 3D tech at every turn?

How will they get the word to us? Private message everyone informing them about OR? Pushing ads to every page? 3D stuff is everywhere and isn't exactly lighting the world on fire. People are well aware 3D exists... They just don't want it. People will be aware that VR exists and they'll have the same opinion. When it doesn't catch on in the blue ocean market what will FB do next?

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Frankly I don't care what facebook does with the rift, I've seen no indication the hardware will cease doing what we've wanted it to do

If anything, those of us buying it for our nerdy little hardcore games are going to be getting the hardware subsidized by all the people buying it for farmville 3d

• Options
    edited March 2014
    More than Sony and every other company that is pushing 3D tech at every turn?

How will they get the word to us? Private message everyone informing them about OR? Pushing ads to every page? 3D stuff is everywhere and isn't exactly lighting the world on fire. People are well aware 3D exists... They just don't want it. People will be aware that VR exists and they'll have the same opinion. When it doesn't catch on in the blue ocean market what will FB do next?

Because it's not 3D and the effect is significantly, staggeringly more immersive. Suspension-of-disbelief inducing at times.

But people have to try it, and there needs to be a huge public awareness push that this isn't janky virtual boy bullshit or the 3D feature on your television set... and Facebook is well positioned financially to be that messenger.

And by them pushing and promoting the concept hard to their 1billion+ user base, every other entry in the field, from Sony's Morpheus to Microsoft's unnamed project to all the unannounced headsets is elevated.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    3D is the same way when things fly at you. I think you're giving the company too much credit for being able to spread a message.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus

... you do know that social acceptability is a big reason that google glass is probably DOA, right?

Facebook has the kind of mindshare and advertising muscle to convince people that putting on a huge mask and disappearing into VR isn't something only social pariahs do.

I don't know about that; I think you're extrapolating their success way too far. And maybe I'm about to do the same with their hardware failure: Home. That was technically competent product that was also a complete dud because they clearly overestimated users' loyalty, and how people wanted to use their platform and where it fits in with other services they use.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I'm actually cautiously excited because by such a large company buying this, companies that scoffed at the idea like Zenimax might be reevaluating their position

• Options
    Elki wrote: »

I don't know about that; I think you're extrapolating their success way too far. And maybe I'm about to do the same with their hardware failure: Home. That was technically competent product that was also a complete dud because they clearly overestimated users' loyalty, and how people wanted to use their platform and where it fits in with other services they use.

I mean, there is plenty of room for failure here... but it is going to take a big company with a huge social presence to get past some of the societal hurdles "tuning out" of reality presents.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I for one like this Facebook acquisition, the thread hasn't been this active in months!

I will still gladly snap up my Facebook sponsored Commercial rift, post a picture of me with it on Facebook and then play some awesomely immersive none-facebook games.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular

Yeah. Maybe it's odd, but I expect VR to be much more socially acceptable than google glass, which is the equivalent of shoving a live mic and camera into the face of everyone you look at. Many bars are pre-emptively banning them and I can't say they are wrong. It's an inherently intrusive device.

VR headsets are made to be used in a more private sphere and will remind people of star trek's holodeck or something.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I've been singing hosannas about VR and the Rift for a while. Mentioning that Facebook paid two billion dollars for the company has significantly increased the interest from at least a few non-gaming people in my life.

Anecdotal, obvs, but this news gives the whole arena of VR products a lot more legitimacy outside of our niche.

• Options
    I've been singing hosannas about VR and the Rift for a while. Mentioning that Facebook paid two billion dollars for the company has significantly increased the interest from at least a few non-gaming people in my life.

Anecdotal, obvs, but this news gives the whole arena of VR products a lot more legitimacy outside of our niche.

You're right. Totally would've never happened otherwise.

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    I would have much preferred if they had done an IPO instead of this. Partially because they wouldn't have been exclusively responsible to a parent company and partially because I would have liked to buy stock in them. That, and I don't really want to buy facebook stock.

We'll get back there someday.