Options

[Oculus Rift+STEM+Omni] IGN best hardware '13, Best of CES 2 years running

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Vorpal wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Meanwhile, MSNBC just did a story on the Oculus Rift on-air.

Rift is going to be huge in a way it did not have the capacity to reach any time soon.

And it's going to happen fast. This is the thing thats not even released yet that Zuckerberg spent 2 billion dollars on. They are going to market this and make it socially acceptable, even.

Thank God for that. I would hate to do something that wasn't socially acceptable.

... you do know that social acceptability is a big reason that google glass is probably DOA, right?

Video gaming is socially acceptable now. Binge watching TV shows is too.

Facebook has the kind of mindshare and advertising muscle to convince people that putting on a huge mask and disappearing into VR isn't something only social pariahs do.

Yeah. Maybe it's odd, but I expect VR to be much more socially acceptable than google glass, which is the equivalent of shoving a live mic and camera into the face of everyone you look at. Many bars are pre-emptively banning them and I can't say they are wrong. It's an inherently intrusive device.

VR headsets are made to be used in a more private sphere and will remind people of star trek's holodeck or something.

Or something indeed...

johnny-mnemonic-internet.jpg

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Vorpal wrote: »

Rift is going to be huge in a way it did not have the capacity to reach any time soon.

And it's going to happen fast. This is the thing thats not even released yet that Zuckerberg spent 2 billion dollars on. They are going to market this and make it socially acceptable, even.

Thank God for that. I would hate to do something that wasn't socially acceptable.

... you do know that social acceptability is a big reason that google glass is probably DOA, right?

Video gaming is socially acceptable now. Binge watching TV shows is too.

Facebook has the kind of mindshare and advertising muscle to convince people that putting on a huge mask and disappearing into VR isn't something only social pariahs do.

Yeah. Maybe it's odd, but I expect VR to be much more socially acceptable than google glass, which is the equivalent of shoving a live mic and camera into the face of everyone you look at. Many bars are pre-emptively banning them and I can't say they are wrong. It's an inherently intrusive device.

VR headsets are made to be used in a more private sphere and will remind people of star trek's holodeck or something.

Or something indeed...

johnny-mnemonic-internet.jpg

And like everyone's favorite mnemonic courier, Palmer Luckey can now afford to have his shirts laundered like at the Imperial Hotel in Tokyo, and a $10,000 a night hooker.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    on the one hand, i realize that if i can hook it up to a PC, it can be jailbroken/bypassed/hacked to go back to pure hardware (if it does have some razer-esqe software suite nastiness attached)

on the other hand, i really don't like having to do that. practically speaking, i get what i want either way - a fantastic VR display.

but i wanted to TRUST oculus. not view them and the rift with the inherent suspicion that's associated with facebook.

I genuinely do not understand this mindset.

Like, the Oculus Rift is a display device. It runs over HDMI and USB. It is in the same bucket as every other device you buy that does these things and uses some type of drivers. This nebulous assertion that somehow it was automatically going to be so popular that Facebook will clearly put spyware into the drivers/headset/position tracking camera is insane.

I mean everyone has a Google browser installed, Android and Apple smartphones, Microsoft OS's...the idea that that type of intrusion is in someway plausible, but that none of those other companies would ever do that, is insane.

Because Zuckerberg has abused his systems - he used Facebook's password archive to break into the Harvard Crimson servers, as a notable example.

In short, people don't trust Facebook because they don't trust the leadership. Oddly enough, I could see this genuinely push people towards Morpheus.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    on the one hand, i realize that if i can hook it up to a PC, it can be jailbroken/bypassed/hacked to go back to pure hardware (if it does have some razer-esqe software suite nastiness attached)

on the other hand, i really don't like having to do that. practically speaking, i get what i want either way - a fantastic VR display.

but i wanted to TRUST oculus. not view them and the rift with the inherent suspicion that's associated with facebook.

Like, the Oculus Rift is a display device. It runs over HDMI and USB. It is in the same bucket as every other device you buy that does these things and uses some type of drivers. This nebulous assertion that somehow it was automatically going to be so popular that Facebook will clearly put spyware into the drivers/headset/position tracking camera is insane.

I mean everyone has a Google browser installed, Android and Apple smartphones, Microsoft OS's...the idea that that type of intrusion is in someway plausible, but that none of those other companies would ever do that, is insane.

Because Zuckerberg has abused his systems - he used Facebook's password archive to break into the Harvard Crimson servers, as a notable example.

In short, people don't trust Facebook because they don't trust the leadership. Oddly enough, I could see this genuinely push people towards Morpheus.

"people" is not a really good measurement though, as 1.1 billion people are willing to log in and do stuff on Facebook every month, and are likely not even aware that Zuckerberg is a bit of a jerk.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I find it odd that they were looking to port a slimmed down - Raspberry Pi style version of Minecraft to the Rift. I play Minecrift alot and the UI never really gets in the way at all.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I find it odd that they were looking to port a slimmed down - Raspberry Pi style version of Minecraft to the Rift. I play Minecrift alot and the UI never really gets in the way at all.

apparently floating UIs not represented by physical objects in-game play hell on the eyes of Rift users.

I haven't experienced that yet, so I dunno.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

"people" is not a really good measurement though, as 1.1 billion people are willing to log in and do stuff on Facebook every month, and are likely not even aware that Zuckerberg is a bit of a jerk.

Network effects be powerful magic.

Meanwhile, you're seeing the people who would be leading the early adopter charge looking a bit gunshy with this acquisition. Also, Oculus is no longer the only game in town, which will have an impact as well.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular

apparently floating UIs not represented by physical objects in-game play hell on the eyes of Rift users.

Seemed fine to me. I did tweak the settings a little to bring the UI stuff a bit "closer" to my face and larger, but once I took the time to get it in place, it was great. I tend to play creative though - maybe crafting menus and stuff are more challenging. Certainly not enough that I would think a whole dumbed down version would be needed though.

So far though I've only really had a few games churn my stomach, so I have relatively good VR legs I think.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Floating UI stuff doesn't bother me so much. Half Life 2 on the other hand makes me want to vomit by the time I'm 30 seconds off the initial train. I'm trying to shore up my stomach!

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Floating UI stuff doesn't bother me so much. Half Life 2 on the other hand makes me want to vomit by the time I'm 30 seconds off the initial train. I'm trying to shore up my stomach!

Is that because you're using a first gen dev kit? Or that HL2 wasn't designed with the VR PoV in mind? Or does VR just mess you up in general?

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Only a bizarre start-up tech company like facebook would also have the insanity to pay two billion for OR.

A more established company like Nvidia or Sony or whoever is more cautious than that. They're never certain which new tech is going to be big and which isn't.

Facebook is the biggest, craziest investment kid on the block. This was the only way that number could end up that large.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    Sorry if this is a late to the party question, but what's the over-under on this development drawing out some litigious tech patent trolls that wouldn't otherwise have yet noticed OVR?

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    143999 wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a late to the party question, but what's the over-under on this development drawing out some litigious tech patent trolls that wouldn't otherwise have yet noticed OVR?

Well, they've already been sued by trademark trolls. I dunno if patent trolls are on their way as well.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    nk9dvCX.png

Heh, Palmer is damn good at being politely harsh, as much as I disagree with the facebook thing.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

HL2 affects my wife the same way, but that's just on a regular monitor. Every fix we tried didn't help, she always got nauseous and dizzy within seconds of loading it up.

Other Source games don't bother her one whit though, or any games period really, so I don't know. Unless she's playing a game with the mouse sensitivity set really high, I guess the sudden movement gives her vertigo or something. It happens when she watches me play games too, I guess since I crank that sensitivity up for those sweet 360noscopeboomheadshots.

I really want her to try playing stuff with the Rift. On the one hand it will probably make her projectile vomit everywhere and I'll get to laugh my ass off. On the other hand it might solve her issues with HL2 and games with a high mouse sensitivity setting.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Could be a FOV thing. I thought I was getting old when the original Borderlands and Bioshock started giving me headaches, but it turned out that overly narrow FOVs just fuck with my head. Don't remember having that problem with HL2 though; it's mostly an issue with console-PC ports in my case. Might be worth playing with if she's otherwise interested in the game.

I'm curious to see how that plays out in VR. Most of the nausea related issues seem to come more from latency and an expectation of momentum/force that obviously doesn't exist. Adjusting FOV when you have something resembling real peripheral vision might be a nonissue.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    CarbonFire wrote: »

Is that because you're using a first gen dev kit? Or that HL2 wasn't designed with the VR PoV in mind? Or does VR just mess you up in general?

VR doesn't mess me up too much even with the low quality dev kit 1, I've played plenty of Dirt 2 with a wheel and I'm absolutely fine there. I used to be a bit iffy with games where I wasn't in a fixed position (cockpit, etc) but that subsided after using it a bit, but something about the motion in Half Life 2 really hits me in the gut. Even thinking about it now actually makes me feel a little dizzy.

I'm curious to see if I still feel it with the new dev kit, I'm guessing position tracking won't be in the Half Life 2 VR beta so it'll just be the better screen. I think it's something to do with the acceleration that gets me.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Like I said, we tried all the fixes. I tried a whole slew of different FOVs, removing the head bob, removing the gun model, everything we could think of and none of it worked. She played through all of Bioshock just fine, all of Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2, Halo 3 and Reach didn't bother her, just HL2.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I've been singing hosannas about VR and the Rift for a while. Mentioning that Facebook paid two billion dollars for the company has significantly increased the interest from at least a few non-gaming people in my life.

Anecdotal, obvs, but this news gives the whole arena of VR products a lot more legitimacy outside of our niche.

You're right. Totally would've never happened otherwise.

Ok? Obviously there are a myriad variety of other avenues this thing could have taken to get big exposure, but this one actually happened, and it appears to have made a bigger impact on regular news sources than anything else in the Oculus team's history. It's a Big Deal even for normals.

I guess I'm not really sure what your point is. This seems like a good avenue to mainstream a technology that I'm extremely excited for. All my eggs have never really been in the Rift basket, so them losing the romantic indie vibe doesn't bother me all that much, especially relative to the potential and opportunity that Facebook money buys.

I get that it's a bummer because Facebook is a giant company with some nefarious practices, but fuck, when you get to the big money phase of a project, you're already in the room with a bunch of devils. Unless Oculus always wanted to see their momentum beaten to hell by monoliths like Sony and MS and whoever else gets in the game, this was kind of an inevitability.
    Darmak wrote: »
    Like I said, we tried all the fixes. I tried a whole slew of different FOVs, removing the head bob, removing the gun model, everything we could think of and none of it worked. She played through all of Bioshock just fine, all of Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2, Halo 3 and Reach didn't bother her, just HL2.

That's a really bizarre case. Good that it's apparently one game exclusive though.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

Don't be snide. The Rift and the VR industry in general becoming mainstream is better for literally everybody.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    3D is the same way when things fly at you. I think you're giving the company too much credit for being able to spread a message.

Are you another person making claims about 3D vs the Rift without having tried the latter?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    On Carmack and acquisitions, I think it takes a while for these things to affect change on the kind of decisions a company might take.

“We have more resources to make steps that we wouldn’t make [if] left to our own,” he said during a panel at the event. “For people playing games, the [ZeniMax acquisition] is such a pure win. There’s no downside to this at all. We are still down here in Texas, they are leaving us alone, we are still building our products here.”

That's was in 2009.

I was going to bring this up, but we've really haven't seen a lot of id under Zenimax. Rage was mostly done prior to that and id was kinda aimless before then, so the current aimlessness may not be a symptom of being purchased.

• Options
    CarbonFire wrote: »

A bit of all three, usually.

• Options
    On Carmack and acquisitions, I think it takes a while for these things to affect change on the kind of decisions a company might take.

“We have more resources to make steps that we wouldn’t make [if] left to our own,” he said during a panel at the event. “For people playing games, the [ZeniMax acquisition] is such a pure win. There’s no downside to this at all. We are still down here in Texas, they are leaving us alone, we are still building our products here.”

That's was in 2009.

I was going to bring this up, but we've really haven't seen a lot of id under Zenimax. Rage was mostly done prior to that and id was kinda aimless before then, so the current aimlessness may not be a symptom of being purchased.

Besides, the dude changing his mind isn't indicative of shit, other than that he was initially wrong in his belief. Zenimax isn't Facebook, we don't know for a fact that he's going to be displeased with how things turn out this time. Right now with the limited info we've received all we can do is wait and see. I choose to do so while giving this news the benefit of the doubt.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Darmak wrote: »

That's was in 2009.

Besides, the dude changing his mind isn't indicative of shit, other than that he was initially wrong in his belief. Zenimax isn't Facebook, we don't know for a fact that he's going to be displeased with how things turn out this time. Right now with the limited info we've received all we can do is wait and see. I choose to do so while giving this news the benefit of the doubt.

The way Carmack behaved under Zenimax actually gives us really good confidence in how he will behave at Oculus under Facebook.

Remember guys, he's not a co-founder or a shared investor or anything- Oculus hired him as a CTO. Presumably he's on a salary with some benefits. He's not seeing much of that 2 billion personally, what he's seeing is the resources to realize his VR dream. If they start to provide roadblocks to him realizing that dream, you can be sure he'll fuck right off and go work for Sony on Morpheus.

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular

Interesting post on that here: http://enemystarfighter.com/blog/2013/9/5/vr-lessons-learned

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Henroid wrote: »
    The only "investment" you make with crowd funding is faith. Please stop pretending it is anything but that.

Edit - It's pre-ordering with risk.

That's a nice opinion, but it's not much more than that.
    It' pretty uncool to tell people how they should feel regarding Kickstarters, because the issue is far from that simple.

The problem with crowd-funding is that so many people have different ideas about what it is, should do, and operate, that having discussions about it is hard.

I'm particularly aggressive against the concept of it being an "investment" however because it is not. Like factually. This isn't a "well y'know, kinda sorta!" thing. It does not operate like an investment, and it isn't labeled as an investment, and it isn't labeled as an investment while operating as something else, and it isn't labeled as something else while operating as an investment. It is a purchase of some sort with goods and / or services given in return for higher purchase rates. What you see is what you get right there.

The Oculus Rift crowdfunding was centered on dev kits. It was delivered on. Facebook's acquisition, as much as I don't like it, has nothing to do with the funding from long ago.

Edit - And I know I keep dragging it up but I don't like the idea of my peers running around with a false sense of what 'investment' means.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    The problem I have with the way Carmack as an indicator for how Facebook treats the Rift is that Carmack has already left one group Facebook bought out that he initially thought looked great and Facebook proved him wrong. The warning signal has already gone off. We already know the kind of shitty goals Facebook has, and the shitty things they do to achieve those goals, and how wreck things when they can't figure out how to twist something to benefit Facebook stuff.

The "mystery" of what is probably going to happen the Rift now is something the Scooby-Doo gang could have figured out 5 minutes into a show. After all having lobotomies.

Ignore me! Because I was screwing stuff up mightily.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Only a bizarre start-up tech company like facebook would also have the insanity to pay two billion for OR.

A more established company like Nvidia or Sony or whoever is more cautious than that. They're never certain which new tech is going to be big and which isn't.

Facebook is the biggest, craziest investment kid on the block. This was the only way that number could end up that large.

Agree - I was more afraid Oculus was going to end up the victim of being the first mover in a space that needs to develop a market first, and there was no $ in trailblazing. I'm glad they got acquired rather than just obliterated by Sony/Microsoft when they enter the 2nd or 3rd generation of this market. The $2bn is just $400m in cash and $1.6 bn in stock, but still, that seems excessive by like a factor of 10. They must think the patent portfolio is worth a lot, as nobody ever spends his much on an acqui-hire for the talent.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    The problem I have with the way Carmack as an indicator for how Facebook treats the Rift is that Carmack has already left one group Facebook bought out that he initially thought looked great and Facebook proved him wrong. The warning signal has already gone off. We already know the kind of shitty goals Facebook has, and the shitty things they do to achieve those goals, and how wreck things when they can't figure out how to twist something to benefit Facebook stuff.

The "mystery" of what is probably going to happen the Rift now is something the Scooby-Doo gang could have figured out 5 minutes into a show. After all having lobotomies.

Wait, which group did Carmack leave when Facebook bought them out?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

You don't remember playing Doomville?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2014

Zenimax/id, but it wasn't in response to being bought out, as far as I know.

Nothing to see here, just being dumb.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Facebook doesn't own Zenimax, what are you talking about?

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Facebook doesn't own Zenimax, what are you talking about?

Nothing, apparently. Just sticking my foot in my mouth and biting down, hard. I don't know what I was getting mixed up, but I'll edit stuff so I won't confuse/conflate the issue.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options

He left iD because Zenimax would not let him work on virtual reality at iD. That was last year, four years after Zenimax bought iD.

Facebook had nothing to do with it and never has.

• Options
    Yeah, I was fucking things up, I went back and edited out the stuff I had wrong. Just ignore what I was saying.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular

He left iD because Zenimax would not let him work on virtual reality at iD. That was last year, four years after Zenimax bought iD.

Facebook had nothing to do with it and never has.

It's just "id", btw. iD is a fashion mag :)

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    God, I haven't written is as "iD" since high school. Back when I called 'em DooM and WarCraft.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    You know, I have to say after spending a fair amount of time reading reactions and opinions across multiple websites that this thread is the odd exception. The vast majority of the response has been overwhelmingly negative and there is very little optimism about this I've seen in general. I honestly wonder if the point that reaching casual consumers - those who use facebook - is going to outweigh the fact they seem to have driven off a huge section of the core gaming and enthusiast audience with this. As a company looking for a secure future taking someones 2 billion is the obvious answer and those being all incensed about Kickstarter funding are inane once the OR guys delivered on their basic promises. The backlash from those who invested in the thing on kickstarter is just a general reflection of the mood of the gaming community against this decision.

Also I will say that while I use Facebook, I honestly don't like or want much to do with Facebook beyond the fact I can talk to my family and high school friends on there. I would not be interested in any platform that is designed for them to fill with adware, "social" garbage and that they might do to games on the platform what Facebook did with their FB games (that is, crap all over them). I'm not saying Facebook's Oculus Rift is going to generate the VR version of Zynga, but even if the first consumer model isn't weighted down with a ton of irrelevant crap in it I am not convinced it would remain that functional.

To be honest, I have almost no dog in this show because I could honestly not give a hoot if VR fails or succeeds as a medium. In saying that, I don't want to support a Facebook lead version of VR, but it's not like VR relies on the Oculus Rift to succeed given that both Sony and most likely Microsoft are going to be developing the technology and trying to market it. I would be much happier buying such a product from Sony or Microsoft, who have a solid track record in delivering good gaming experiences for years, over a company that degenerated Facebook games into pester centered experiences like Farmville (I still spend a lot of time shutting down crapware game requests on Facebook in one way or another).

Like with many things, I no longer blindly trust companies anymore and instead I wait to see what they end up doing in future. Given Facebooks track record with games as "social" experiences, I can't think of that future being anything I want to have any interest in whatsoever. The fact is, Facebook and the developers of the Oculus Rift have to prove to me this is a good thing and won't negatively impact the use of the VR. While I'm immensely ambivalent about VR, I would like to try it and would have perhaps invested in it if it was the right price. Now that I have considered everything about this, I honestly wouldn't buy even a non-crap ware filled initial OR from Facebook - given what they might start to do with it later on down the line especially. What this does is mean if I do check out VR, it's more than likely going to be whatever Sony or Microsoft end up offering in the end.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Let's keep in mind that this is the same community who voted EA worst company in America.

Their opinions carry very little weight.

Dhalphir on