As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Oculus Rift+STEM+Omni] IGN best hardware '13, Best of CES 2 years running

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    More RTS games need the first person / possess mode that Dungeon Keeper had.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    More RTS games need the first person / possess mode that Dungeon Keeper had.

I think I read that the Spring RTS Engine can do that. Now whether or not games that use the engine utilize that feature, I don't know.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Incindium wrote: »
    Thing is Oculus Rift sporting events like that has the potential to disrupt live sports as we know it. I went to NCAA Midwest regionals this weekend and was lucky to only pay $150 total for the three games and only because I bought the tickets 6 months ago as soon as they were available for sale. To be able to pay even as much a $20 a game for courtside virtual seats would be a no brainer assuming I already had the hardware to experience it from.

The $20 virtual ticket is not competing with the $150 stadium ticket. It's competing with the $0 experience of having friends over, chatting face to face, moving around a physical place, eating snacks/ drinking (seriously, eating and drinking), all while watching the game. So, for $x of Oculus you get an allegedly higher fidelity experience, and the choice of not knowing what's actually around you while being in a virtual stadium. This is not even considering that for many sports, the television directed experience is far superior to the view enjoyed by someone from a vantage point in the stadium, simulated or otherwise.

Do I need to even mention sports bars? When it comes to changing the way people experience sports, $2 billion is nothing. $20 billion is nothing; it's too big and has too strong of a culture to be brute-forced by money. You need something sports fans actually want.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Thing is Oculus Rift sporting events like that has the potential to disrupt live sports as we know it. I went to NCAA Midwest regionals this weekend and was lucky to only pay $150 total for the three games and only because I bought the tickets 6 months ago as soon as they were available for sale. To be able to pay even as much a $20 a game for courtside virtual seats would be a no brainer assuming I already had the hardware to experience it from.

The $20 virtual ticket is not competing with the $150 stadium ticket. It's competing with the $0 experience of having friends over, chatting face to face, moving around a physical place, eating snacks/ drinking (seriously, eating and drinking), all while watching the game. So, for $x of Oculus you get an allegedly higher fidelity experience, and the choice of not knowing what's actually around you while being in a virtual stadium. This is not even considering that for many sports, the television directed experience is far superior to the view enjoyed by someone from a vantage point in the stadium, simulated or otherwise.

Do I need to even mention sports bars? When it comes to changing the way people experience sports, $2 billion is nothing. $20 billion is nothing; it's too big and has too strong of a culture to be brute-forced by money. You need something sports fans actually want.

If it is lightweight and easy-to-use, I could see it gaining a place as a party favor. Less everybody sitting around wearing VR headgear and more of a "pass me that thing" diversion while watching the game.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I think virtually sitting in one place watching the game while you pretend to be there is sort of doing a disservice to what this tech can do. What about having a VR tech who lines up replay shots on-the-fly from specific and awesome angles that make you feel like you're actually on the field, for instance? I'd love to be able to feel like I was walking along the side of a court at the French Open or Wimbledon and getting whatever view I want of a Federer/Nadal match. Maybe let people have freedom to fly around and save their own footage to view later. The technology isn't there yet, but it may be someday.

• Options
    You mean I could be permanently watching the attractive / famous people in the crowd at Wimbledon, as opposed to just between sets? Sign me up!

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    You mean I could be permanently watching the attractive / famous people in the crowd at Wimbledon, as opposed to just between sets? Sign me up!

Just staring deeply into the Queen's eyes as she gazes blankly past you.

It's not creepy at all!

• Options
    Still preferable to tennis.

• Options
    Silence thine harlot tongue, Philistine.

I guess I didn't realize that Luckey had said last month that he had no intentions of selling Oculus. Not that it isn't his decision to do it, though.

People get a little crazy when big money starts getting thrown around.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Personally one thing I really want VR for is augmented reality finally done right. It doesn't feel the same holding up a device, looking at a tiny screen with stuff overlaid onto a camera feed.

I've dreamed for years of board games come to life. I've been thinking eventually hologram technology might get there, to where you could have a glass box with a 3D game going on inside, little soldiers on a landscape or whatever. But you could do the same thing with VR, just put down AR markers to define the edges of your coffee table and literally see a war happening on it, get up close to it with your face. Put markers on your fingers and interact with it physically, a god game where you can pick up the little people and toss them around. Whatever.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Personally one thing I really want VR for is augmented reality finally done right. It doesn't feel the same holding up a device, looking at a tiny screen with stuff overlaid onto a camera feed.

I've dreamed for years of board games come to life. I've been thinking eventually hologram technology might get there, to where you could have a glass box with a 3D game going on inside, little soldiers on a landscape or whatever. But you could do the same thing with VR, just put down AR markers to define the edges of your coffee table and literally see a war happening on it, get up close to it with your face. Put markers on your fingers and interact with it physically, a god game where you can pick up the little people and toss them around. Whatever.

....have you heard about castAR?

• Options
    Morran wrote: »

....have you heard about castAR?

Nope! Geez.

I guess I need to actively search for Kickstarters every few weeks or something.

Though I think I would still sooner buy a VR device like the Rift over this, because the projection must be limiting in some respects...for one thing it doesn't look super bright.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    VR101VR101 Registered User new member
    For AR, i'm planning on getting the Atheer one.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I'm bemused by "oh my god I'll look like a dork wearing a VR helmet".

I mean seriously? If that's your concern, then at this point I don't think gaming or possibly general existence is really for you.

On a related note, I have been wondering if there's an arcade-resurgence possible here. Cheap VR + Omni systems would lend themselves to arcade-like LAN shops, where you'd have a bunch of capable hardware that was maintained with high-speed networking for a smooth experience.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    I dunno. I say let people feel embarrassed if they want and don't try to make them feel worse by saying that they don't belong in gaming at all.

It can be sort of a gut thing. Different people are embarrassed by different sorts of activities to different degrees, and that's fine.

I wouldn't necessarily argue that this is going to be a major problem for the device going forward, that people will be embarrassed at the thought of it like they are with Google Glass...I'm just saying it's fine if someone is embarrassed. Maybe they'll get over it, maybe not, but it's fine to feel that way.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Embarrassment passes as things become more mainstream too. Right now my Rift is an oddity that every kid that visits my son will notice down in the game room (the fact it's on a styrofoam head even moreso). As soon as the same tech is out from Sony and Microsoft and Facebook and has been experienced by more people I'm guessing it will be more normalized.

Tons of people would have said "I would never pull out a gameboy to play in public" but now they are tending crops and playing with some flappy and angry birds constantly in public on tiny computers. A ton of people would have never played video games in public and then almost overnight bars were full of Wiis. I know people that never would go to karaoke bars but then they were hosting Rock Band nights. I can picture VR going the same way.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I think virtually sitting in one place watching the game while you pretend to be there is sort of doing a disservice to what this tech can do. What about having a VR tech who lines up replay shots on-the-fly from specific and awesome angles that make you feel like you're actually on the field, for instance? I'd love to be able to feel like I was walking along the side of a court at the French Open or Wimbledon and getting whatever view I want of a Federer/Nadal match. Maybe let people have freedom to fly around and save their own footage to view later. The technology isn't there yet, but it may be someday.

I'd want to do this with theatre. Get up and view the performance from on the stage.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    darleysam wrote: »

I'd want to do this with theatre. Get up and view the performance from on the stage.

The next evolution of Karaoke Revolution-style gameplay: you're an actor on the stage, move to the right marks and recite your lines correctly or you screw up the whole thing and get penalized.

04zUfpt.png

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    I would be a rift for Star Citizen alone.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Silence thine harlot tongue, Philistine.

I guess I didn't realize that Luckey had said last month that he had no intentions of selling Oculus. Not that it isn't his decision to do it, though.

People get a little crazy when big money starts getting thrown around.

He probably didn't have any intention on selling it. Because no one ever thought someone would offer two billion for it.

Sure, you can turn down $100 million as an entrepreneur or something. Even if you don't make that amount back entirely, you have the satisfaction of growing your business and you'll probably still be well off somehow.

But two billion? That's richer than god money.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

I mean seriously? If that's your concern, then at this point I don't think gaming or possibly general existence is really for you.

On a related note, I have been wondering if there's an arcade-resurgence possible here. Cheap VR + Omni systems would lend themselves to arcade-like LAN shops, where you'd have a bunch of capable hardware that was maintained with high-speed networking for a smooth experience.

I'd say it's less an embarrassment thing and more of people going "nope, not for me." Similar to what happened with the Wiimote with many hardcore gamers. (Yes, I know that's a bad example since that caught on like wildfire with the general public, but the gut-level "no" was similar to what I'm bracing for many in the public to do.)

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I'd say it's less an embarrassment thing and more of people going "nope, not for me." Similar to what happened with the Wiimote with many hardcore gamers. (Yes, I know that's a bad example since that caught on like wildfire with the general public, but the gut-level "no" was similar to what I'm bracing for many in the public to do.)

I'm desperate to try the Rift, and the minute they announce a date and price the consumer kit, I'll start planning a new PC and budgeting to afford it all. And even with that, I'll still feel a bit self-conscious the first time I put on my nerd hat and declare myself to be 'inside' a video game.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Embarrassment passes as things become more mainstream too. Right now my Rift is an oddity that every kid that visits my son will notice down in the game room (the fact it's on a styrofoam head even moreso). As soon as the same tech is out from Sony and Microsoft and Facebook and has been experienced by more people I'm guessing it will be more normalized.

Tons of people would have said "I would never pull out a gameboy to play in public" but now they are tending crops and playing with some flappy and angry birds constantly in public on tiny computers. A ton of people would have never played video games in public and then almost overnight bars were full of Wiis. I know people that never would go to karaoke bars but then they were hosting Rock Band nights. I can picture VR going the same way.

Here are some things you can have/do while playing a gameboy: peripheral vision, and the ability to look up around you and be immediately aware of all your surroundings.

The reason I play my DS on the bus, and wouldn't wear a helmet on the bus is not because the latter lacks public acceptance. They are not equivalent experiences.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular

Here are some things you can have/do while playing a gameboy: peripheral vision, and the ability to look up around you and be immediately aware of all your surroundings.

The reason I play my DS on the bus, and wouldn't wear a helmet on the bus is not because the latter lacks public acceptance. They are not equivalent experiences.

I don't even like wearing headphones in public because it blocks out my awareness to the outside world and I feel like a massive tool--I can't imagine wearing a big ol' headset, even in the comfort of my own home, will ever feel comfortable or natural.

And yet I see folks all the time not wanting to bring their DS/3DS out of the house because they feel like they'd be look down upon socially. Weird.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited April 2014

The experiences don't need to be equivalent, he was just listing some examples of things that were once embarrassing and now are not, or less so.

It doesn't have to be about things done on the bus. Some things are even embarrassing in the comfort of your own home, or in front of your family. Maybe for other people those things are not embarrassing.

I don't see anything wrong with the argument that a lot of things start out being seen as embarrassing and over time they are seen as less embarrassing. You're not really arguing that VR will permanently be embarrassing?

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

The next evolution of Karaoke Revolution-style gameplay: you're an actor on the stage, move to the right marks and recite your lines correctly or you screw up the whole thing and get penalized.

Having just finished reading Ready Player One (which is fucking amazing OMG!), I would love for those interactive movie games to become a reality! Imagine playing through Die Hard as John McClane himself, while having to recite his lines and actions perfectly. Ooooh!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    I'm desperate to try the Rift, and the minute they announce a date and price the consumer kit, I'll start planning a new PC and budgeting to afford it all. And even with that, I'll still feel a bit self-conscious the first time I put on my nerd hat and declare myself to be 'inside' a video game.

Do we have any sort of idea when a consumer kit will be released and how much cheaper it will be than the current dev kit?

I wonder if having horror games with Rift levels of immersion will cause actual trauma...

• Options
    Emperor_Z wrote: »

Do we have any sort of idea when a consumer kit will be released and how much cheaper it will be than the current dev kit?

I wonder if having horror games with Rift levels of immersion will cause actual trauma...

Only speculation ranging from "some time late this year" to "by 2016", and "less than it would've been without Facebook's money". Nothing more solid or official than that.

forumsig.png
  • Options

The experiences don't need to be equivalent, he was just listing some examples of things that were once embarrassing and now are not, or less so.

It doesn't have to be about things done on the bus. Some things are even embarrassing in the comfort of your own home, or in front of your family. Maybe for other people those things are not embarrassing.

I don't see anything wrong with the argument that a lot of things start out being seen as embarrassing and over time they are seen as less embarrassing. You're not really arguing that VR will permanently be embarrassing?

I see it becoming an acceptable experience whose power necessarily confines it to being a solitary indoors activity, except for some very directed or organized experiences. All the things that make it attractive, gain nothing from a public setting, besides that vague human fear of not knowing what's happening around you.

From the Abrash hiring post
    a VR system that can create a sense of presence – the feeling, below the conscious level, that you really are someplace.

Visually immersive experiences and public spaces are antithetical.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options

I see it becoming an acceptable experience whose power necessarily confines it to being a solitary indoors activity, except for some very directed or organized experiences. All the things that make it attractive, gain nothing from a public setting, besides that vague human fear of not knowing what's happening around you.

a VR system that can create a sense of presence – the feeling, below the conscious level, that you really are someplace.

I can't wait for the first schlock horror movie that shows somebody gaming on a Rift and the killer creeping up slowly behind them with a knife.

It'll have the same effect as that Psycho scene, which to this day makes me feel a little vulnerable in the shower.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    who's even talking about wearing VR goggles on a bus? Why are we discussing this particular thing?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

I probably wouldn't use a rift at home when my wife is also home, because we try not to close off lines of communication when in the house. Even if she's watching tv and I'm playing a computer game, we can look at each other and have a conversation. Isolating myself from everyone around me to drop into VR is something I'm not ready for yet. (The kids a generation below me might be.)

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    who's even talking about wearing VR goggles on a bus? Why are we discussing this particular thing?

Seriously, doesn't it essentially require a PC? Who is hooking up their PC on a bus?

Whether something is embarrassing or not, or has the capability of becoming less embarrassing, has nothing to do with whether you use it on a bus.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014

Not everyone watches sports as a social experience, me included. I tend to watch sports alone, because a) it's my relaxation time, and b) most of my friends aren't in to sports. I know plenty of others who don't invite friends over for a party for every sporting event, or go to a bar for every event.

I would lover to be able to watch a Formula 1 race through a VR headset. Can you imagine how awesome the in-car shots would become?

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I would lover to be able to watch a Formula 1 race through a VR headset. Can you imagine how awesome the in-car shots would become?
    There is a already a demo video for that and, yeah, it's really good.

• Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Not everyone watches sports as a social experience, me included. I tend to watch sports alone, because a) it's my relaxation time, and b) most of my friends aren't in to sports. I know plenty of others who don't invite friends over for a party for every sporting event, or go to a bar for every event.

Pretty awesome. And also, niche. Something expensive that would have to be produced in addition to the regular broadcast that's going out to most people.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    360 degree videos in the rift are awesome. I tried a boat ride down the River Thames, very cool.

360 degree adult videos are also interesting.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    360 degree videos in the rift are awesome. I tried a boat ride down the River Thames, very cool.

360 degree adult videos are also interesting.

Is that just like, a 360 degree camera in the middle of a room with an orgy going on? So you can look around and see all the peoples going at it? Or is it just a couple of people on a bed and you can choose to ignore what they're doing and instead look at the carpet and the people filming and out the door into the hallway?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    The thing about google glass that people dislike is that it is like the person wearing them has a shotgun MIC and a camera in your face without your permission.

yes, cameras are all around us and are watching sure, but nobody is behind them for the most part until you need it for evidence or other some such.
    Security companies spend significant portions of research and development to make cameras unobtrusive and out of the way. A glass user practically invades a nonuser's personal space with the device, and because there is a user in the other end of the camera, that is a big deal.

you don't know if they are recording or not. I know when you use a video camera or a smart phone that you are actively recording. A glass user seems almost voyeuristic by comparison.

if google wants its product to be accepted by the general populace, I need to look at it and a pair of sunglasses and not be able to tell the difference between the two. No mic, no lens, no lights.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    so surveillance without consent is okay if no one can tell you're doing it? :p