As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Oculus Rift+STEM+Omni] IGN best hardware '13, Best of CES 2 years running

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Hey, there's nothing wrong with it looking like this too:
    eo8c8LA.jpg

I can crash you from here!

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    are you pro enough to have your rift look like this?
    JohnnyMnemonic19943_zps9e7e10e2.jpg

That looks like a butt

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    are you pro enough to have your rift look like this?
    JohnnyMnemonic19943_zps9e7e10e2.jpg

That looks like a butt

... can't unsee.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Virtuix Omni is available for preorder, shipping in September (or July if you backed its Kickstarter, or something) (it's $499 by the way) (for the treadmill, one sized harness, and one sized pair of shoes): http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-08-USD499-virtuix-omni-vr-treadmill-shipping-september

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    TSR will be getting very excited.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Also someone needs to come up with a fitness/running game controlled just by the Omni.

Round 1: Run away from shambling horde of zombies to safe house by river.
    Bonus Game: Duck and jump 20 attacks from killer fish.
    ROund 2: Pedal boat (by running) to escape across river, being chased by Merman.
    Bonus Game: Walk backwards to pull the boat on to a bank.
    Round 3: (Interval training) Sprint extremely quickly away from running zombies, then when you lose them, walk slowly until they spot you, then sprint again. Repeat!
    Bonus Game: Pump up tyres on a car by ducking and standing repeatedly.

And so on. You'd end up with a lot of skinny gamers.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    And that's exactly one of the reasons why I doubt the Omni will take off or ever be anything other than a niche product. People may think they want to have the visceral, physical experience that the Omni promises, but I don't think many will actually want to be limited by their own physical fitness in games, which by and large are power fantasies.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    I think it'll take off, but as you suggest, be somewhat of a niche market. I'd love to see something like this at a gym, virtual workouts, 360 degreee movement. But even then you have to compete with needing specific shoes, and switching out three different sized support belts. Practically it'd be a bit of a nightmare.

I can also see arcades using it, putting it in the same ballpark as Racing and DDR machines.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Did TSR get outright banned? I figured it was a temporary thing...

• Options
    I think he's gone forever, which is a shame. He was certainly opinionated but also ridiculously informative and passionate about this stuff.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    If I could put the money together for the walking harness and shoes, I'd buy it.
    you don't need to set the game up to be physically brutal, your characters can run endlessly without tiring.
    but just moving about and walking is leagues better than simply sitting on the couch

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    If I could put the money together for the walking harness and shoes, I'd buy it.
    you don't need to set the game up to be physically brutal, your characters can run endlessly without tiring.
    but just moving about and walking is leagues better than simply sitting on the couch

I watched a guy playing Arma 3 with the rift and the omni and that does not look fun at all. If I want to go schlep 20 kilometers ill go schlep 20 kilometers. I'm all for VR but I can't get behind something like the Omni. It seems like a cool arcade experience.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular

One pair of shoes and a harness are included in the purchase, so there's that, if that helps?
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I think it'll take off, but as you suggest, be somewhat of a niche market. I'd love to see something like this at a gym, virtual workouts, 360 degreee movement. But even then you have to compete with needing specific shoes, and switching out three different sized support belts. Practically it'd be a bit of a nightmare.

I can also see arcades using it, putting it in the same ballpark as Racing and DDR machines.

Line them up along the walls and have people earn merits for playing on them...
    P8sMccJl.jpg

forumsig.png
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    And that's exactly one of the reasons why I doubt the Omni will take off or ever be anything other than a niche product. People may think they want to have the visceral, physical experience that the Omni promises, but I don't think many will actually want to be limited by their own physical fitness in games, which by and large are power fantasies.

meh, that's why I want it. I want some more physical activity in my life where I don't have to worry about the weather or getting mugged or paying exorbitant gym fees, or having to operate on a gym's schedule. When I was still playing Call of Duty I was playing while cycling on a stationary recumbent bike, but then that series went to shit. Sure I wouldn't want to play every game like that, and I'd still game from the couch when I get too fatigued to continue, but this is the kind of thing that would help me keep up my fitness regiment much in the same way that Rocksmith keeps me playing my guitar far longer per session than I would with just tabs and youtube or whatever.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Oh, I absolutely believe it that way around. The Omni could help a number of people exercise more who without the game/VR aspect wouldn't have the discipline. Will that make enough people buy one to make it profitable or even a large success? That's what I have my doubts about.

Have there been things similar to the Omni before? I'm thinking that in terms of VR the Oculus Rift is not the first or second application, and the developers have learnt from the VR failures of the '90s. However, I don't remember corresponding 360° treadmills getting much press when the early, clunky VR goggles were.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    I believe there were a number of treadmill devices and/or other movement simulation stuff. I recall there being a hampster ball device back in the old VR days. I think the Omni is the first one even remotely feasible for the average consumer.

I agree, I doubt it would have even remotely close to the same potential for larger-than-micro-niche success as the Rift or Rift-like devices have. I just want it to succeed in a way that's at least nominally profitable.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I believe there were a number of treadmill devices and/or other movement simulation stuff. I recall there being a hampster ball device back in the old VR days. I think the Omni is the first one even remotely feasible for the average consumer.

I agree, I doubt it would have even remotely close to the same potential for larger-than-micro-niche success as the Rift or Rift-like devices have. I just want it to succeed in a way that's at least nominally profitable.

If it works as well as I hope it does, I will be seriously tempted to purchase one. If I even turn a small percentage of my gaming time into exercise it would be ridiculously beneficial to me.

• Options
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    Oh. Fuck. Yes.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Will that make enough people buy one to make it profitable or even a large success? That's what I have my doubts about.

I actually think so if they catch on as physical fitness tools and arcade toys. Just pop in Titanfall and you'll lose all the weight.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Will that make enough people buy one to make it profitable or even a large success? That's what I have my doubts about.

I actually think so if they catch on as physical fitness tools and arcade toys. Just pop in Titanfall and you'll lose all the weight.

Thats what I've been planning from the beginning, right now I use a Technogym Exercise Bike with a 50 inch TV in front of it while playing Dark Souls 2.

Dark Souls 2 released a month ago and I've burned 21.000 calories just from playing DS2 and biking an hour+ each day.

Now imagine the next Fallout (one of my favourite series) with the Oculus Rift and a treadmill (Virtuix Omni perhaps?) yeah, I'd probably burn 1200+ calories a day while running around and exploring that game.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I couldn't see myself doing multiplayer video games on it (I get kinda srsfaec about my score/performance) but it could be fun for some single player shenanigans though. The downside (for me at least) is that I don't play single player games when I'm at home. I build em into a backlog so I can play them when I'm out at work.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

It would be hard not to, with all the vomiting.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Probly already been said but I can imagine someone playing a game like Amnesia or Outlast using this thing

and all the lawsuits from family members of people who subsequently died of heart attacks and explosive diarrhea.

• Options

It would be hard not to, with all the vomiting.

Eh, I don't think Titanfall would be all that jarring to the senses. The wall running keeps the player pretty much straight up and down vertical which would prevent any sort of huge disassociation that could get the brain to freak out.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    The camera moves quite a bit when you get into your titan, though. They say they want to support the rift so maybe when that's patched in, rift mode will have that removed.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Yeah, basically in a Rift game you can NEVER take control of the camera away from the player's head. Even cutscenes will be impossible to do traditionally - they will have to be cutscenes where the player is involved and able to move his head.

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    I kind of wonder how much motion sickness for some people could be solved by a little blurb during the intro talking about 'inertia dampening' technologies.

Sort of like how people thought Portal was bullshit from the falling until they put those little metal bits on her legs. Give the brain something to hang that suspension of disbelief off of.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    BYToady wrote: »
    I kind of wonder how much motion sickness for some people could be solved by a little blurb during the intro talking about 'inertia dampening' technologies.

Sort of like how people thought Portal was bullshit from the falling until they put those little metal bits on her legs. Give the brain something to hang that suspension of disbelief off of.

The two are completely different, unfortunately. The disbelief for Portal's falling situation was an intelligent, reasoned, mostly conscious decision to not really believe what you were seeing.

The nausea created by unnatural camera movements in the Rift is a biological response and no easier to shut down than the feeling of your stomach dropping in an elevator.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    The camera moves quite a bit when you get into your titan, though. They say they want to support the rift so maybe when that's patched in, rift mode will have that removed.

Ah yeah, there is that. I had totally forgotten about that transition. That is definitely the sorta thing that can lead to some upset stomachs.
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    BYToady wrote: »

The two are completely different, unfortunately. The disbelief for Portal's falling situation was an intelligent, reasoned, mostly conscious decision to not really believe what you were seeing.

The nausea created by unnatural camera movements in the Rift is a biological response and no easier to shut down than the feeling of your stomach dropping in an elevator.

Basically that. The mind sees its surroundings going one way while the body is doing something else. Everyone has different thresholds but that's what it boils down to.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Well, hopefully whatever reason I get nauseated and headachey for some (not all) first person games will let me enjoy the Rift in peace.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    I dunno. That's the cause of it but the mind can get used to some really weird shit. I'd bet money that an explanation like that would help a measurable fraction of users get over the motion sickness. Is it worth it? Who knows. But I'm sure it would solve the problem for some people.

Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Get ready to puke in Titanfall every time someone snaps your neck and your view suddenly rotates 180 degrees.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    I think a scene that would make me nauseated would be Dead Space 3 in first person view with the needle machine in the eye.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    oh fuck that noise, @sirialis I had trouble watching that in third person. now I'd get to 'live it' with the rift?

nopenopenope.avi

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    oh fuck that noise, @sirialis I had trouble watching that in third person. now I'd get to 'live it' with the rift?

nopenopenope.avi

Couldn't you just, you know, close your eyes? :P

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    tarnok wrote: »
    I dunno. That's the cause of it but the mind can get used to some really weird shit.
    I've got my Bearing Sea jr. sailor badge. Lemme tell you all about it. >_>

But yeah, everyone can tolerate and get used to different things at different levels. My sister gets car sick. I sleep like a baby in twenty foot seas. Humans are weird yo.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I had a chance to muck around with the rift at PAX.

Played some kickstarter game where dolphins are sitting at desks and taking a test, an dyou have to cheat off other dolphins to get a good score as the questions are ridiculously hard.

I walked away completely impressed with the experience, even with the "screen door" low res DK1.

It kind of reinforced my beliefs though that as fun as this is for games, it is (much like the kinect) a waste of this technology if it only stays in the gaming sphere. This shit is potentially world-changing, and I totally and completely understand why Facebook paid what they did now.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    I couldn't see myself doing multiplayer video games on it (I get kinda srsfaec about my score/performance) but it could be fun for some single player shenanigans though. The downside (for me at least) is that I don't play single player games when I'm at home. I build em into a backlog so I can play them when I'm out at work.

heh, I tried to pace my character in Call of Duty: MW2 back when I was playing that with the xbros and using a recumbent exercise bike. For anyone who hasn't played MW2, the typical SMG build sprinted at about 55km/h and had infinite sprint. I eventually stopped trying to keep pace because I couldn't communicate with the team. Had to settle with a slow and steady 30km/h. Then everyone started hating CoD and I stopped entirely.