Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Mini-Phalla] of Brass: The Philosopher Kings (God Save The Queen: Cultist/Templar Win)

I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. Registered User regular
edited May 2013 in Critical Failures
Understand that what I write now is a purely hypothetical situation, for as I plainly state it could not be.

Hypothetically, a young man brandished a firearm at me as I walked through the halls of Skybarrow. He fired and injured me in a manner that would have been eventually fatal, had it occurred. I would then have observed that he was a smart man, a clever man, to have gotten past guards and courtiers, to assassinate a king. Were this fictional instance to happen, and were this man to agree, that would have sealed his fate.

For as I would have explained to him, he was a clever man, and he must have had to get past guards and courtiers to assassinate a king, and none of those could be found in Skybarrow University. A king required such things, by nature of his status as king. None could be found, and thus this cast suspicion on my status as king.

For as I would have explained to him, he was a clever man, and a king is surrounded by guards and courtiers, and there were none. A clever man would not be so foolish as to take a shot on a man who could not be king. A clever man would never have placed himself in a scenario where he could be wrong.

For as I would have explained to him, he was a clever man, and thus could never have been there. And so he was not, and the wound that had never afflicted me did not afflict me. And I walked through the halls of Skybarrow as before.

It is a wonderful thing that this is a hypothetical situation, for had I encountered that man, I would have seen on his person a ring with the skull of a horse and the jaws of a shark, and I would know that the cult of the Treacherous Prince had intentions upon me.


Headmaster-King Richard Passeridae turned his head and stared at the ring left on his desk, the one with the skull of a horse and the jaws of a shark. With a monarch's weariness, he ran his forefinger and thumb across his temples, and finished his entry.

And were that to happen, I dread to think of the harm that would come to my students.

y1KbZjM.png
A phalla dreadful for 25 players.


WHAT'S ALL THIS THEN
Nation of Brass: The Philosopher Kings is a miniphalla. If you are unfamiliar with what a phalla is please consult the thread at the top of the forums, and if you have any further questions feel free to ask them in the thread. Philosopher Kings continues the storyline started in my first two phallas, but experience with those games should be unnecessary to enjoy this one. Like those games, this game is a traditional village vs mafia game, one that is probably a bit more subdued than the games I am generally known for.

With the exception of the hook.


WHAT'S THE HOOK?
Philosopher Kings takes place in the esteemed halls of Vernland's Skybarrow University. Philosophy is a highly-regarded art in the Nation of Brass, for a well-reasoned debate from the voice of an expert philosopher can change the world. Literally.

During the game, players will be capable of challenging one another to debates regarding altering the rules and roles of the game. Should a player win the debate as per the rules outlined below, the game may change as a result. While there are rules and mechanics in place to limit this, the ultimate zaniness of the game is on your shoulders. Players may opt to run very restrained, controlled alterations and adjustments, or they may go much larger. The ability to break the game is in your hands.


WHAT ARE THE RULES?
All standard phalla rules are in effect. No editing vote posts, no copying or screenshotting host PMs, no anonymous contact, one ghost post. Include the host in proboards. Sign up in Bold limegreen to participate. The game will not begin sooner than the evening of Monday, May 6th.

The vote will close at 8 PM Pacific. Actions will also be due at this time. Actions and votes received at :59 PM will count, ones received after will not. Do not edit action threads on proboards after that time! Note that debates will close at 7 PM Pacific.

Activity requirements demand one vote post and one regular post from all players each day if they wish to remain in the game. Once will be excused, twice will result in your removal. Maybe your replacement with reserves, if I'm feeling nice. Note that while those are the activity requirements given the debate system players are encouraged to be active in the thread. I will not refuse any signups but I do suggest that players ask if they will be able to contribute meaningfully if they are called upon to debate.


NO I MEANT FOR THE DEBATES
I am glad you asked, loud imagined person!

A debate has two primary components. The first is the Proposal, the second is the Argument. The Proposals for one debate will likely occur while at the same time another debate goes through the Argument.

Any player may initiate a Proposal. This is done by posting in bold deeppink with a proposed change to the rules or alteration to roles, and naming an opposition.

EXAMPLE: I propose that I, INANTP, should be granted the power to kill a player every turn, and challenge Langly to prove otherwise. Please note that merely making some of the post deeppink will be considered valid for the sake of some people's eyes, as long as the beginning and end of the proposed argument are clearly delineated.

Players may support a proposal if they quote it and enter Support (or similar language) in darkcyan. In the event of it being difficult to quote a post due to mobile interfaces or what have you, naming the general argument you are supporting will suffice. At the end of the turn the two debates with the most support will progress to the Argument next turn. When less than 12 players are alive, only the most supported debate will progress to the Argument.

Players are permitted to Propose a debate and Support a different one, but may only have one Proposal and one Support open at a time. If a player Proposes a new debate, their former one loses all Support. If a player Supports a debate, their Support for all former debates is withdrawn. Players may Propose debates every day.

An Argument is a back and forth exchange between two posters. Two options are available: ATTACK, and DEFEND. If a player wishes to ATTACK, they must single out a point made in the favour of the change by the other player and reason against it. If a player wishes to DEFEND, they must create an argument either for or against the initial proposal. Play will begin with the Opposition named in the initial proposal forming their initial defense. Turns then alternate between the two players. Players are encouraged to mark their debate posts with something in olive or otherwise denote that their post is part of the debate, to ensure that it is noteworthy and separate from their regular posts. Those two players will be the only posts considered for the purposes of the debate – while the rest of the players are free to comment on them, players cannot ATTACK posts made by those not in the debate.

When choosing to DEFEND, a player will generate 1 point for themselves. Should they successfully ATTACK the opponent's argument, they will neutralize points that argument would have earned. A player may only ATTACK five times during a debate. Defensive or offensive posts which repeat previously made arguments will earn no points. The first person to begin the debate is the individual challenged to it. Play alternates between players with each post. Should an extraordinary amount of time pass between the beginning of the day and the start of the debate (10+ hours), the challenging player may begin.

In the event that a player dies before they can debate, the University will choose a suitable replacement.

Debates end at 7 PM Pacific, an hour before vote close.

Each player has a personal Philosophy. Arguments made that address their personal Philosophy will be worth double the points. EXAMPLE: INANTP has the Philosophy of Steamism. Every argument he makes that concerns the prospect of REDUCTION in some way will have its point value doubled.

Please note that any apparent attempts at collusion will result in the debate being dismissed by Skybarrow University. This is a prestigious organization and you will not sully it. Players intentionally repeating themselves or otherwise attempting to throw a debate because they believe the opponent's result will favour themselves will not be tolerated and penalties may be enacted. Successful debaters may, after all, find it advantageous to win their debates.

Should the player arguing in favour of the Proposal win the debate via obtaining the most points, the Proposal will go into effect on the next day. Otherwise there will be no change.

In addition to all this, some students at Skybarrow have stumbled across revolutionary debate techniques known as EPIPHANIES. They may use these EPIPHANIES via dramatically shouting the name of their technique during a debate they are arguing in. When used, unless otherwise stated in the EPIPHANY text the debate will immediately end with no victor and the effects of the EPIPHANY will come into play. Please note that immediacy of an EPIPHANY effect is dependent on host availability.

Some things are set in stone. The following subjects cannot be changed by the power of Philosophy, no matter how hoarse the debaters may grow.
-All entities are certain of themselves: victory conditions may not be changed. There can be no peace.
-Philosophy does not discriminate: powers must have the same effect on all targets.
-The celestial laws cannot be broken: all rule changes must continue to operate within the rules of the Penny-Arcade forums, and should not encourage things that are against those rules (such as spamming).
-The host reserves the right to refuse suggestions that add an amount of work to hosting that the host deems unsustainable.
-Debates may not render the game unwinnable for any players; i.e. a debate that renders villagers immune to the vote and all kills.
-A player must be permitted to vote on the targets he wishes to vote for.


ORDER OF ACTIONS
Debate resolution – Vote – Metaphor – Epiphany – Logically Preceding Teachings – All Other Teachings


CLARIFICATIONS
There are no thralls, millers, or conversions.

To start with.

zxQY2JJ.jpg
I needed a gnome to post. on
«13456722

Posts

  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Player List
    The following players have requested participation early when the game was first announced some months ago. While their spots are reserved, they should still sign up in thread to acknowledge this.
    1. Langly
    2. ObiFett
    3. Invictus
    4. Zonugal
    5. premium
    6. KetBra
    7. SLyM
    8. Zombie Hero
    9. Grunt's Ghosts
    10. The Anonymous
    11. Void Slayer
    12. Iron Weasel
    13. jdarksun
    14. Megafrost
    15. vertroue Blahmcblah
    16. Retaba
    17. SeGaTai
    18. Phyphor
    19. kime
    20. Gizzy
    21. TheRoadVirus
    22. Lockeout
    23. MrTLicious
    24. Assuran

    RESERVES:


    Narrations
    Game Start
    Day 1
    Day 2
    Day 3
    Day 4
    Credits
    Credits
    Credits


    Glossary
    This is not the first game in the Nation of Brass setting. A list of thematic terms and a summary of the previous games is included below, for those who wish to indulge themselves in something as masturbatory as the lore of a host's personal setting.

    None of the information below is necessary for playing the game, but may enhance narrations, and aid in the deception of the cover role.
    Previous entries in the Nation of Brass franchise:

    Nation of Brass: The Artificial Men ( http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/143908/phalla-of-brass-the-artificial-men-mini-game-over-witch-victory/p1 )

    Summary: A party on the airship Corrigan in Westspire is interrupted by bloodshed as a troupe of machine men seek answers from their creator by force. Terrified by these frightening individuals, the partygoers seek to rout them and throw them from the ship. Unbeknownst to both parties, a pair of cultists intend to use the ship as a dark sacrifice to their evil lord.


    Nation of Brass: The Devil's Train ( http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/149255/mini-phalla-of-brass-the-devils-train-all-aboard/p1 http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/149376/mini-phalla-of-brass-the-devils-train-valuable-lessons-for-all/p1 and http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/149410/mini-phalla-of-brass-the-devils-train-real-life-victory/p1 – two threads were hit by a forum bug which caused all pages after a certain one to disappear, requiring thread restarts)

    Summary: A surviving Artificial Man seeks to flee the city of Westspire to the Djavol Theocracy in the east. The foremost spies of Vernland are set to bring him back, but need to carefully track him down. As a scenic train ride takes all parties through the countryside of a Nation of Brass, lines are drawn in the sand against murder.



    Previous Stories – As Known To The Public:
    Tragedy struck Vernland when a party hosted upon the H.R.A. Corrigan - a private steamship operated by the Widowed Duchess – was interrupted by unknown criminals. The ship was unmoored and presumably taken hostage, though no demands were transmitted. Despite the best efforts of the boys in green the ship could not be brought back and crashed in the Vernland countryside. No survivors were discovered.

    Approximately two months later, in an apparently unrelated incident, several Adabage diplomats left their embassies and returned home. Though rumor spread about political intrigue, no proof of these allegations were ever presented to the public.



    PHILOSOPHER KINGS-SPECIFIC INFORMATION:
    Skybarrow University:
    Far to the north of Westspire – 8 hours by train – Skybarrow University stands as a beacon of intellectualism. While not the only college in Greater Vernland Skybarrow is remarkable for its teachings in the art of Philosophy – in fact the only subject taught there. Within Skybarrow, young minds can be made to prosper and shine in a way they never could at lesser institutions, looked over by the Headmaster-King Richard Passeridae.


    Philosophy:
    Long long ago they called it magic. As science marched forward the logic behind it became clear, for the alteration of reality had its own logic. Philosophy is the study of reason, and the application of reason to the betterment of one's life. If it can be proven, it must be true. If you can argue that a man never existed, then he must never have. If you can reason that you should be capable of doing an action, then surely it is just waiting for you to perform it. Philosophy is a noble art to Greater Vernland, and while they have stepped away from the government many speak fondly of the lineage of Philosopher Kings.



    Headmaster:
    Richard Passeridae has lead his country to democracy. Under him Prime Ministers and Premiers have been instated, and the people can govern themselves. Now the Headmaster-King wishes only to nurture the minds of his people. With his daughter dead, Passeridae has decided to pass the throne on through Skybarrow University, a meritocracy leading to the next Headmaster-King. Until such a time as his passing comes, he will continue to teach.



    Infiltrators:
    Infiltrators? In Skybarrow? Don't be absurd.

    They were already there. Learning. Studying. Teaching. Waiting. The cult of the Treacherous Prince does not need to worry about getting its people where it needs them. It needs only worry about informing those who are in position. Did you think they would not count those close to the Philosopher King among their number?

    They were already close to his daughter.


    Deeper Knowledge of the World:
    THE WORLD:
    The glory of steam power brought a revolution to man. Kingdoms could expand to empires. The seas, and then the skies were conquered. Where once reigned ignorance and superstition, science has broken through. Mankind saw a potential their barbaric ancestors could never have imagined. Now at last they have reached the height of their greatness and may indulge in the richness of life. However, an uneasy tension exists between the nations of Vernland and the unnatural beings of Adabage. No true Vernlander could abide Son worship – not with the insurgents within their very walls.



    The Eternal Sky:
    The Sky was first, and She birthed the earth. Her eternal Grace brought life and purpose to what was once just rock and dust, and to Her all man owes its dues. We are the most grateful of children, unlike the Three Sons who raged impotently against their mother. One was struck to land, one was struck to water, and the leader and inciter struck to the space between spaces.


    Bel Hazan:
    The Treacherous Prince, Bel Hazan delights in lies and maliciousness. Typically worshipped by cults and individuals seeking personal gain, Bel Hazan rewards betrayal and turnabout. His ultimate machinations are known only to his closest followers, but one presumes that a god of manipulation is unlikely to be plotting to unleash world peace. One of the Three Sons who rebelled against the sky.


    The Martyr:
    When the Three Sons fell, one landed in Adabage Major, and death came with him. Distraught at the senseless bloodshed which accompanied his landing, the Martyr bless-cursed the people of all Adabage with life eternal. They now revere him for it, and some say that in the Great Cathedral in Kafskaw he still walks the halls silently, attended to by the papacy.


    The Dead God:
    The final son is dead. Think not of him. He has sunk beneath the sea.



    THE NATIONS
    Two superpowers stare uneasily at each other, their pasts separate but their futures entwined. As they both expand to southern colonies, the western democracy of Greater Vernland and the eastern theocracy of Adabage Major and Minor grate uncomfortably against one another. The small countries between the two watch uneasily, wondering if a day will come where neutrality is no longer an option. Thus far the southern colonies have avoided becoming pawns in a proxy war, but if the political climate continues to harbour this distrust such a state may be inevitable.



    Greater Vernland:
    Centuries ago, too long for any son of Vernland to recall, Greater Vernland and Vernland were one and the same. In the wars that ravaged the west in the name of technology Vernland rose above the rest, until the rest were consumed by Vernland. Greater Vernland is the soul of the nation, the birthplace of science and steam.

    And Westspire is the soul of Greater Vernland. The capitol of the nation, Westspire holds politicians and inventors, nobles and philosophers, priests and paupers. Truly, it is the most civilized city in the world. Along the rivers the factories churn, producing brass and science. It is a privilege to live in such a place.



    Adabage:
    Adabage is a country with boundaries defined by tragedy. Many centuries ago, a Son fell. Where he landed was Adabage, and where he landed was death. Was it spite or mercy that guided his hand next? The thousands of deceased were granted the bless-curse of eternal life, their bodies continuing long after their hearts cease. Now the country is split into Adabage Major and Minor. Live your life to its fullest in the farms and countrysides of the Minor counties, and when at last your inevitable passing comes retire to the holy city. Retire to Adabage Major, to the capitol city of The Marxkst. There you can live among those who understand the bless-curse, who know what it is to live between. There you can contribute to industry.

    There you can live in the same halls as the Djavol. The bless-cursed body of an Adabagian is a formality. The bless-curse preserves your soul, and theoretically any vessal that can hold a soul could hold you. In following this thought, the scientist-priests of Adabage Major drafted the nation's pride: The self-cathedral of the Djavol. A clockwork brass body, made in the Son's image. Inscribed. Ornate. Pious. To count yourself among the Djavol is to be one of the most elite citizens. Only the wealthy and the holy can acquire this honor... but a citizen of Adabage has centuries to save.



    Other Nations:
    The world is a grand place. The southern colonies hold many intricate cultures and peoples within them – but their barbarism is shameful, and they will eventually be educated. Far to the east, beyond the devil's kingdom of Adabage, the Dominion of Jade is a place of legend to most Vernlanders. Tales of soul-witches and wind-knives entertain children and adults alike, but the tension between Vernland and Adabage means that most will never see them. Many small countries lay between the icy superpowers, including the Unwanted City D̸̛e̵̕nm̶o̕͟u̵̴͘t̢h͞. They serve as both neutral parties and dens of iniquity for those who need either.



    Noteworthy Factions and Families:
    von Kamanov
    The von Kamanov line is a proud one. A modern success story, merchants married and invested to propel their lineage forward. The von Kamanovs have benefit the most from such arrangements, and at least one family member can be expected to visit any society event. Unfortunately they are not untouched by tragedy. Their prodigal son, Gorges, perished in the Corrigan crash along with his wife. Much attention of late has been paid to the young Vanessa, who is expected to marry soon. Hopefully such a joyous event can bring some light back to the poor von Kamanovs.

    Lalonde
    Death defines a man of Vernland. It is, quite literally, what separates them from heretics. Proper respect for the dead – the appropriate ceremony, a gentle recreation – is of incredible value and having a personal mortician is considered a great sign of status. As far as morticians go, Lalondes are simply the best there is. From an early age, all Lalondes are introduced to death and apprenticed to a family member. They learn rites, surgery, makeup, sewing – every skill required to do their job. So skilled are they that many a rumor has arisen suggesting that they have supernatural abilities to glance beyond the pale – but any member of the family will tell you that is quite ridiculous. Tragically they lost a great man in Sigmund Lalonde in the Corrigan crash, and Florence is rumoured to have run off to the east. The Lalondes suffer these losses with dignity, for they are no strangers to death, but the patriarchs of the house grow increasingly concerned about the mortality of their lineage.

    The Suits
    The Suits are a popular band of super-spies in the penny dreadfuls children purchase, and nothing more. There is no Jack of Hammers waiting for the perfect moment to take what is his. There is no Queen of Powder searching for her lost sister. There is no King of Sparrows afraid of what he knows. And there is certainly, absolutely, positively no Ace of Cogs, and nothing you have heard about him is true. Even if they did exist, who knows if they succeeded in their most important moment?

    The Golden Dawn:
    Though citizens of the world are now privileged enough to know the truths about gods, previous civilizations have had their own heresies. Some occultists have found themselves enchanted by the notion of the sun lords worshipped in the Osiron, and a minor organization has slowly spread throughout Vernland nobility. The Golden Dawn advances their agenda politely, but remain in the shadows.

    The Artificial Men:
    Though no evidence of their existence has been verified, Peter Kent of the Westspire Gazette released a scandalous expose claiming that the Vernland government funded research into their own robotic bodies to challenge the Djavol in a feared war. If one believed the rumors, 6 men were quietly collected shortly after their suicides and preserved in a lab where every part of them was replaced with the ticking of gears, using stolen Adabage technology and sorcery-science from even further east.

    Unfortunately, fires ravaged much of the poorer Westspire districts that year. Any evidence of such claims, including the alleged testimony of one Bartleby Brown, has been lost.

    Peter Kent is missing and presumed dead.

    And much much more!
    There are many households, many names in the world. All of them waiting for an exceptional member of the family to demonstrate their worth. Who knows who the history books will be writing about in the years to come?

    I needed a gnome to post. on
    zxQY2JJ.jpg
    Geth
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Sign up!

    I have a bachelors in philosophy.

    This is going to be my fucking jam.

    2mw6ukw.jpg
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    oh hell yes

  • premiumpremium Registered User regular
    That is a long OP.
    Maybe I'll read it one day

    Grunt's Ghosts
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    And everyone should be forced to read the setting information.

    its incredible

  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Man, what is with all these wacky games lately

  • MillMill Registered User regular
    INANTP is an awesome narrator IMO. So I figure this will be a good game to play right before taking a phalla break (I feel like I could use one and I have other stuff I need to do coming up soon anyways).

    Also I'm going to be a total bastard and not bother closing my tags. :P

  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. Registered User regular
    Farangu wrote: »
    Man, what is with all these wacky games lately

    This game's been ready to run (minus role PMs) since about February, but I put it off until I had more time.

    So basically fuck Invictus' games. ggalMaS.gif

    zxQY2JJ.jpg
  • GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Tentative signup!

    Greeper on
    Greeper is now Minister Of Communication in my new regime.
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Syndalis, if you knew anything about Greeper, you would know Greeper is never not field dressing a stag.
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    OH SHIT

    Steam Starcraft SLeague of Legends
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I haven't phallad in a while

    Steam Starcraft SLeague of Legends
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Rubblebelt state of mindRegistered User regular
    I'm in

    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Also I am super glad I didn't go to bed and miss this one like holy shit

    Steam Starcraft SLeague of Legends
  • AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    I wish you well, I wish I could play, but there is no way I'd have the time while my main is going.

    Have fun everyone!

  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    This post might had gotten me fired from my job if I was signing up while at the grill of McDonald's. Now I might be a clever man and retreated to the restroom to post. You'll never know.

  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    Don't mind if I do

  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    This post might had gotten me fired from my job if I was signing up while at the grill of McDonald's. Now I might be a clever man and retreated to the restroom to post. You'll never know.

    I bet you were just working the deep fryer. No one cares what goes on over there.

    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited May 2013


    - all games by inantp are good
    - I play in all good games
    - I sign up for all of inantp's games

    Langly on
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    This post might had gotten me fired from my job if I was signing up while at the grill of McDonald's. Now I might be a clever man and retreated to the restroom to post. You'll never know.

    I bet you were just working the deep fryer. No one cares what goes on over there.

    I work at night so I'm grill, fryer, and I run the table by myself while drunk people flood the place since we are the only place in town open after 1am other then Waffle House.

  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    I'm the worst at debates, but I don't want to miss this.

    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • KaplarKaplar Registered User regular
    I'm the worst at debates, but I don't want to miss this.

    Or do you?

  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    No, I checked.

    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    oh my god I am so in on this

    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina

    Path of Exile current character: Delplari
  • MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    You are really brassking for it.

  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Alright, now it's time to learn about the debates:
    Must we wait until the opponent has posted before we can post, or can debaters post multiple consecutive argument posts?

    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina

    Path of Exile current character: Delplari
  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. Registered User regular
    Invictus wrote: »
    Alright, now it's time to learn about the debates:
    Must we wait until the opponent has posted before we can post, or can debaters post multiple consecutive argument posts?


    The first person to begin the debate is the individual challenged to it. Play alternates between players with each post.

    Should an extraordinary amount of time pass between the beginning of the day and the start of the debate (10+ hours), the challenging player may begin.

    zxQY2JJ.jpg
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    and each post can only make a single argument, worth either 1 point (modified for stuff) if it's defensive, or undermining one defensive argument if it's attacking?

    Is there any assessment of whether arguments are sufficient to succeed? There's no discussion of evaluating arguments.

    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina

    Path of Exile current character: Delplari
  • premiumpremium Registered User regular
    -The host reserves the right to refuse suggestions that add an amount of work to hosting that the host deems unsustainable.

    Can we get an idea of where the line will be drawn on this?
    Would a battle phalla be considered too much?
    Time travel phalla, where we can have any action or vote affect any day?
    Time travel battle phalla with a map?

  • premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Also now I want to run a time travel battle phalla with a map but I think it will literally kill me

  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. Registered User regular
    Invictus wrote: »
    and each post can only make a single argument, worth either 1 point (modified for stuff) if it's defensive, or undermining one defensive argument if it's attacking?

    Correct.
    Is there any assessment of whether arguments are sufficient to succeed? There's no discussion of evaluating arguments.

    The only evaluation given is whether arguments are made with the intention of losing the debate - never playing to your Philosophy or repeating arguments fall under this category. Thus the value is on the most arguments, rather than the soundest (Though unsound arguments may be exceptionally easy for someone to craft a quick Attack to (But perhaps you desire to bait them into attacking that intentionally weak argument! (STRATEGY)))
    premium wrote: »
    -The host reserves the right to refuse suggestions that add an amount of work to hosting that the host deems unsustainable.

    Can we get an idea of where the line will be drawn on this?
    Would a battle phalla be considered too much?
    Time travel phalla, where we can have any action or vote affect any day?
    Time travel battle phalla with a map?

    The goal for each night is for the host to post narration no later than one hour after vote close. Proposals will be evaluated based on how much they interfere with that goal.

    Remember that INANTP is not exceptional at math.

    zxQY2JJ.jpg
  • GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    Grr as much as I want to I'm sure I don't have time, so I must Unsignup

    but I will be watching with great interest.

    Greeper is now Minister Of Communication in my new regime.
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Syndalis, if you knew anything about Greeper, you would know Greeper is never not field dressing a stag.
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    On what basis are attacks assessed as being successful or not?

    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina

    Path of Exile current character: Delplari
  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. Registered User regular
    Invictus wrote: »
    On what basis are attacks assessed as being successful or not?
    A counterpoint that has not been repeated.

    zxQY2JJ.jpg
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Invictus wrote: »
    On what basis are attacks assessed as being successful or not?
    A counterpoint that has not been repeated.

    What counts as a counterpoint? Does 'you're stupid' (or, alternatively, 'your point is stupid') count as a counterpoint?

    Invictus on
    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina

    Path of Exile current character: Delplari
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Relatedly,
    If I've already made the counterpoint 'your point is stupid,' does the counterpoint 'your point is dumb' count as a repetition?

    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina

    Path of Exile current character: Delplari
  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    A counterpoint addresses the argument made by an individual and explains why it is wrong.
    Invictus wrote: »
    Relatedly,
    If I've already made the counterpoint 'your point is stupid,' does the counterpoint 'your point is dumb' count as a repetition?

    A rephrasing through synonym counts as repetition.

    I needed a gnome to post. on
    zxQY2JJ.jpg
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Excellent. I think I know, but just to make sure, how strict will you be with regard to what counts as explaining that a point is wrong? I hope (and think) that 'your point is stupid' does not suffice without some explanation of how the point is stupid.

    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina

    Path of Exile current character: Delplari
  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. Registered User regular
    Invictus wrote: »
    Excellent. I think I know, but just to make sure, how strict will you be with regard to what counts as explaining that a point is wrong? I hope (and think) that 'your point is stupid' does not suffice without some explanation of how the point is stupid.

    This is an university of some prestige, and it is our fervent hope that no underachievers have made their way in. The core to a successful debate is not necessarily being correct, but justification.

    zxQY2JJ.jpg
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Yes, good, excellent.

    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina

    Path of Exile current character: Delplari
Sign In or Register to comment.