Options

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus | Steam Sale | Tremendous Video Game | Fuck Nazis

• Options
    SyzygySyzygy Registered User regular
    Wait, why is the nazi symbol a triangle now?

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Syzygy wrote: »

I think that one is specifically for America.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Sadgasm wrote: »
    I gotta ask though, whats the end game for this setting exactly? I mean, from what I understand, the Nazis basically run the whole planet at this point, right? Unless you're going to personally murder every single Nazi, I dont really see how any sort of victory is possible

There's plenty of games left in the franchise. ;)

As a serious answer, liberating America is a big step. So is uniting the resistance groups.
    Time travel, you say?

That would be a cheap fix. The reason this setting is so good is that the world is going to have to claw back from one of the worst, most entrenched regimes ever.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I'm sure there are plenty of things they could do with whatever secret stashes Set and his friends have access to.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I gotta ask though, whats the end game for this setting exactly? I mean, from what I understand, the Nazis basically run the whole planet at this point, right? Unless you're going to personally murder every single Nazi, I dont really see how any sort of victory is possible

Mecha-Hitler.

• Options
    Mecha zombie Hitler.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

this. i vote for this.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    One of the MachineGames employees basically said Mecha Hitler is the showstopper for Wolfenstein 3, so we have that to look forward to.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Once you go Mecha-Hitler, there's no where else to go but down.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    glimmungglimmung Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Once you go Mecha-Hitler, there's no where else to go but down.

Blazkowicz needs a bomber jacket with "Mecha-Hitler or Bust" embroidered on the back.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Mecha Hitler is defeated by BJ travelling to our dimension, and recruiting Angela Merkel who gains super democracy powers by travelling between dimensions. Only a German can defeat Hitler you see, due to a magical blood pact he made. BJ must protect Merkel while she destroys Hitler with a democracy beam, which also reminds Germans worldwide of what they could have achieved as a free people. Game over! Everyone lives happily ever after.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Axen wrote: »
    Wait, wait, wait. Was this not posted yet or am I crazy? Ah well, it is too good anyway.

https://youtu.be/zz7PDBhav5s

I was expecting BJ to jump out of the dark at the end and slit Blitzmensch's throat and when that didn't happen I felt dirty. :(

Xantomas on
  • Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular

As a serious answer, liberating America is a big step. So is uniting the resistance groups.
    Time travel, you say?

That would be a cheap fix. The reason this setting is so good is that the world is going to have to claw back from one of the worst, most entrenched regimes ever.

I guess that'd be kind of hard to incorporate in a shooter, since thats a type of game that almost always ends after you shoot a specific guy, not the decades of laborous and painful reconstruction afterwards, nor the bitterness and resentment that will carry on pretty much indefinetly.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular

Probably for international marketing reasons. Lots of the EU have very strict laws about that kind of stuff of obvious reasons.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I thought them changing it to the Wolfenstein logo was easy enough

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    It is still a swastika. At least in all the videos I've seen.

I mean I doubt it is in Germany, but NA version isn't changed at least.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    Triangle symbolism use in this could be a nod to Rise of the Triad, which was originally meant to be a sequel to Wolfenstein 3D.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rise_of_the_Triad#Original_concept

Which also fits nicely with the whole "A" for America theme.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SyzygySyzygy Registered User regular
    Yeah, pause the Blitzmensch video at 0:55, the armband on Blitzmensch is a triangle, and the woman following him has a wolf on hers. They aren't going to pussy out NOW with the nazi symbolism are they?

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I don't think so, considering recent gameplay videos(including the Bethesda UK YouTube channel) have regular Nazi swastikas on the soldiers.

Some regions are more sensitive to symbolism than others however, so it may still be altered for other locations as has happened. That being said the parody cartoon is probably just meant to be an "all regions" version so they don't have to basically arrange multiple versions of the video up over a couple of flashes of iconography.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Yeah, pause the Blitzmensch video at 0:55, the armband on Blitzmensch is a triangle, and the woman following him has a wolf on hers. They aren't going to pussy out NOW with the nazi symbolism are they?

They could just be military squadron 'patches'.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Some regions are more sensitive to symbolism than others however, so it may still be altered for other locations as has happened. That being said the parody cartoon is probably just meant to be an "all regions" version so they don't have to basically arrange multiple versions of the video up over a couple of flashes of iconography.

Right, this is probably true. End of the day it might be less work to put it in that way in a drawn animation as opposed to a videogame where you could do a texture swap

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I've taken the first game off of my backlog and I've been playing through, and I think that I've reached a conclusion that I'm not happy with:

I enjoy the story, the characters, the world building, the art style, the graphics, the sound, and the cutscenes.

I can deal with the stealth. It's not the best, it's not the worst.

I don't really enjoy the shooting parts of the gameplay at all. First person shooters just aren't really my thing, and the things that I like about the game just aren't enough to make up the difference for me. I think that I'll cheer the new game on from the sidelines, and watch it via Youtube.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    New gameplay trailer. Also, spoilers.

https://youtu.be/bkrwUzWeACg

Minor thing I noticed as far as spoilers.
    I think that's Bombate railing the hell out of Frau Engel's daughter. Which is an interesting plot development, since the only other time I've seen her is in the initial trailer, where she's being goaded into decapitating someone in the Resistance (probably Caroline).

sig.gif
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    The ad campaign for this game continues to be amazing.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Igpx407 wrote: »
    The ad campaign for this game continues to be amazing.

Perfection.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmy4WW8TqL8

There's a spoiler after all the pre-order stuff if you want to avoid a thing.

Not to be avoided, though - BJ BLASTING a Klucker right in his goddamn face. Also, BJ saying, "Come and fuckin' get me, ya facist Nazi pigs!"

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

Time travel, you say?

They went after this with a trilogy in mind when they answered the question of 'why no/where's mecha hitler?' with 'we need something for the third game'

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Squee! Enemy spoiler:
    KKK enemy type!

:bro:

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Ha! They probably adjusted well to their new Nazi overlords.

Well too bad, shitheads! BJ's coming to deliver some justice.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    "So much for the tolerant left!"

sorry, can't hear you over the sound of immolating the KKK with my fire breathing robot dog.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Shiiiiiiit, this AND Super Mario Odyssey dropping on the same day.

What an embarrassment of riches.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Shiiiiiiit, this AND Super Mario Odyssey dropping on the same day.

What an embarrassment of riches.

Stranger Things season 2 as well.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Spoiler for that trailer
    Having a pregnant Anya do a slow mo slide to drop a grenade at the feet of a bunch of Nazis was freaking awesome.

sig.gif
  • Options
    To my surprise, last night my wife asked me if I thought the new Wolfenstein would run on her PC. She's been seeing a few of the ads lately. I think those ads are effective!

I told her she should play The New Order first. Her PC is definitely a few years old, but it looks like it does meet some of the minimum requirements. The only one it doesn't meet is that it says it needs an i7 processor, and hers is an i5. And I don't think that's a problem, because my PC also uses an i5. I know she heard bits and pieces of The New Order earlier this year when I was playing through it, but it'd be cool if she ends up playing it herself.

I don't think she's played a Wolfenstein game since Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

• Options
    I don't recall that game being a big systems hog so she should be fine? Also the fact that she is asking to play it, and not like, watch you play it, makes me think she might not need it to be on the easiest difficulty, but it is there if she decides she just wants to stomp some Nazis with little struggle.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    But also yes, I hate feeling so easily manipulated, but I'm very taken in by this game's vocal "Fuck Nazis" platform, and I am considering preordering the deluxe edition with the season pass and preorder bonus DLC.

I haven't even played TNO yet, and I don't own TOB (which I hear isn't as good). I should really be less cavalier with my money.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    To be fair, "Fuck Nazis" is super on brand for this franchise, I don't think it's a manipulation tactic.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    But also yes, I hate feeling so easily manipulated, but I'm very taken in by this game's vocal "Fuck Nazis" platform, and I am considering preordering the deluxe edition with the season pass and preorder bonus DLC.

I haven't even played TNO yet, and I don't own TOB (which I hear isn't as good). I should really be less cavalier with my money.

TOB is decent, but not necessary to enjoy the new game. You should play TNO first though!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    I don't recall that game being a big systems hog so she should be fine? Also the fact that she is asking to play it, and not like, watch you play it, makes me think she might not need it to be on the easiest difficulty, but it is there if she decides she just wants to stomp some Nazis with little struggle.

Fortunately, she's not bad with FPSes. We used to play with a group of friends in Left 4 Dead 1 & 2, as well as Team Fortress 2. She just tends to play more indie offerings these days.

She also wants to play the new Doom one day. I should just have her log into her Steam account on my PC so she can experience those games properly.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular

Heh, me too, although it's not exactly the marketing because I've been ignoring most of it and because I've been thinking about preordering for a while. But, I just preordered today. I bought it from DL Gamer, where I think it's the cheapest. I'm not sure if it technically counts as preordering, or whether you just get the key right when the game comes out, so if you want the bonus DLC you might want to query them about that.