Options

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus | Steam Sale | Tremendous Video Game | Fuck Nazis

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I don't think anyone mentioned medi-packs as something you'd pick up automatically did they? I think it was just picking up ammo automatically if you were within a small radius.

I don't really know why that (i.e. go around and manually pick up ammo) design decision got made; it's not really all that much fun.

It's about the only complaint I can make about the Wolfenstein games (it wouldn't put me off buying the new one).

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I just got through the work camp level...

I have never murdered digital people so hard, ever.

There are so many unsettling details that are true to history, and even worse, talking to the camp survivors afterwards.

Kill the Nazis Billy, kill them all.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Goddamn.

There's been... maybe three games I've had a really strong emotional reaction to. The end of Metal Gear Solid 4, which was a loving farewell to characters I've known since I was eighteen, and Final Fantasy VII, a game that's burned into my memory as, "Holy hell, THIS is what games can be like?"

I cared more about William J Blazkowicz, Anna, and my squad members in New Blood than I did my crew in Mass Effect 3, and I LIKED that game.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Sorce wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    Did I make it up, or was there a hidden easter egg in one game that basically said that Doomguy (or one of them, anyway) was BJ's descendant?
    It's tough to be sure with franchises as dedicated to a consistent continuity as these, obviously.
    Commander Keen is BJ's Grandson.

Yeah, something about BJ's kid changing his last name from Blazkowicz to Blaze when he got into show business (Commander Keen was named William after his grandfather but goes by Billy).

Also, in Wolfenstein RPG (the cellphone only turn based game series) you kill a giant demon (who looks just like the Cyberdemon but without the cyber parts) by cutting off his arm and his leg (where the cyberdemon has cyber parts). The demon says something about returning in the future to kill BJ's descendants.

The Doom/Wolfenstein RPG games are all non-canon, but it's a fun link anyway.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    It's amazing to me how good Wolfenstein was, and I was already spoiled on a ton of plot points!
    BJ being a soft spoken Nazi murder machine who JUST WANTS TO BE LOVED DAMMIT. Also him going progressively crazy, and at every opportunity tapping into infinite rage to KILL. MORE. NAZIS. Those little interactive,
    and missable dialogue bits through the missions were genius. I about lost it at the, "pretend to drive" section.

A really strong supporting cast. Yes, BJ is doing the heavy lifting, but BJ having a team is good for him, and necessary to win.

The Nazis in the game are horrifying, and ample time is spent examining and eviscerating Nazi ideology and cruelty.

How did they do the romance in this game better than most Mass Effect games?

And, as others have said, shooting things in this game is really, really fun and really, really visceral. Like Titanfall 2, every mission throws something new at you, and the game is long, but not drawn out.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Well Mass Effect gets away with a ton of quantity and letting a handful of actual meaningful relationships of substance mature slowly over the course of multiple games. The thing between Anya and BJ is spontaneous (but sweet) and quickly develops complexity through side material, and Machine Games do quite a lot with very little on hand (like... 5-6 scenes of actual romance, probably). I'd say without exploring things like the diary it doesn't quite fully flesh out things, but it's a minor quibble. The pacing for TNO's romance is overall more suited as an action game romance :P

My favorite part about Wolfenstein is still how Brian Bloom utterly sells BJ Blaskowicz's character. The direction they took still delights me when I revisit the game - they could have easily made those brooding monologues overtly monotonous and painful to listen to, like a bad commentary over Blade Runner, but Blaskowicz emotes with such an honest tone. He still comes off as the blunt instrument of the resistance and the rest of the cast still view him as such but being able to hear thoughts that belie that character makes him so much more interesting.

Also every time he's with Anya they make him look like he has the saddest, puppy-dog eyes lol

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    You get the sense that while BJ would rather die than quit, he's just so done with Nazis and their bullshit.

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    You get the sense that while BJ would rather die than quit, he's just so done with Nazis and their bullshit.

RIP AND TEAR, UNTIL IT IS DONE.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I know I've said it before, but I wish in the Old Blood I could play around with WW2 weapons like MP40s and M1 Garands and stuff. Part of the fun of a WW2 shooter is iconic weaponry.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I wouldn't say Wolf's a WWII shooter. I think it's more of a retro-futurist shooter that happens to feature nazis.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Yeah I mean by the end of World War II the Germans are using 1980s-like assault rifles. The closest thing to period weaponry are the submachine guns that mostly resemble Thompsons

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Yeah Germans have basically the 1960's retro-future version of their WWII weapons with a splash of H&K design.

The rest of the weapons are either straight retro sci-fi or resemble but are legally distinct from the Lollipop Guild real life counterpart.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I think I saw that New Order and Old Blood were like 4 bucks recently? Was Old Blood good?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Not as good as The New Order, but at that price it's definitely worth playing.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Yeah I mean by the end of World War II the Germans are using 1980s-like assault rifles. The closest thing to period weaponry are the submachine guns that mostly resemble Thompsons

They're "upgraded" STG-44s. The New Order WW2 weapons are mostly cobbled out of historic period guns. The Supersoldaten for example have quad linked MG 42s. The pistols are just lugers fitted with silencers. Even the Allies have modified tommy guns. The same is true for the allied fighters, bombers and the Nazi jet fighters, all were advanced prototypes. The only purely fictional weapons in the beginning are the robodogs and giant robot with a laser beam.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I think I saw that New Order and Old Blood were like 4 bucks recently? Was Old Blood good?

Yep! The New Order and The Old Blood are $5 each at Greenman Gaming. Using the voucher code SUMMER2017 gets you another 15% off, bringing it down to $4.25 each. I think the sale only lasts for another 8 hours or so.

• Options

They're "upgraded" STG-44s. The New Order WW2 weapons are mostly cobbled out of historic period guns. The Supersoldaten for example have quad linked MG 42s. The pistols are just lugers fitted with silencers. Even the Allies have modified tommy guns. The same is true for the allied fighters, bombers and the Nazi jet fighters, all were advanced prototypes. The only purely fictional weapons in the beginning are the robodogs and giant robot with a laser beam.

Yeah I figured when I had a second look at the pistols, but really the main thing that stood out was the way the furniture of the guns were dressed up

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    the DLC for New Colossus has been revealed and its sounds pretty good. 3 new playable characters, each with their own (mini-)campaign.

The Adventures of Gunslinger Joe: As former professional quarterback Joseph Stallion, smash through Nazi hordes from the ruins of Chicago to the vastness of space!

The Diaries of Agent Silent Death: As ex-OSS agent and assassin Jessica Valiant, infiltrate Nazi bunkers in California and discover the secrets of Operation San Andreas!

The Amazing Deeds of Captain Wilkins: As the US Army’s renowned hero Captain Gerald Wilkins, embark on a mission to Nazi-controlled Alaska to dismantle Operation Black Sun!
    All three add-ons will be included in Wolfenstein 2’s season pass, which is known as The Freedom Chronicles and will cost $24.99 in the U.S., £17.99 in the U.K. and AU$34.95 in Australia. They are called The Adventures of Gunslinger Joe, The Diaries of Agent Silent Death and The Amazing Deeds of Captain Wilkins. Each one sounds like its own side story featuring the character in question, as opposed to an add-on that lets you play through the main Wolfenstein 2 campaign as someone besides Blazkowicz.

The three characters will also appear in a prequel mission, “Episode Zero.” The mission will be available free, but only to people who pre-order Wolfenstein 2 or buy its season pass.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/7/27/16045048/wolfenstein-2-dlc-season-pass-pre-order

• Options
    See, now I want the Wolfenstein cinematic universe. All Nazi killing, all time periods.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    All of those sound awesome. Gonna have to grab the season pass too

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    I wish Resistance had DLC like that. So much wasted potential in that series.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Normally I'd be mad now because I should've pre-ordered the Digital Deluxe edition on Steam that comes with the pass.

But this way I get to throw more money at MachineGames, since they actually deserve it.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Normally I'd be mad now because I should've pre-ordered the Digital Deluxe edition on Steam that comes with the pass.

But this way I get to throw more money at MachineGames, since they actually deserve it.

doesn't steam have an option to upgrade your purchase?

• Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Okay that all sounds awesome. Time to go back and finish the first one.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

Not necessarily -- it's on a game-by-game basis. The proscribed way is usually to refund it and rebuy the edition you want.

• Options
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Wraith260 wrote: »

Not necessarily -- it's on a game-by-game basis. The proscribed way is usually to refund it and rebuy the edition you want.

i did not realise that. was sure i had seen it offered at some point though, so glad to know i'm not totally losing my mind.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Tons of gameplay videos if you want to watch 'em. I'm going in blind so I will ignore all of this.

• Options
    Wait, wait, wait. Was this not posted yet or am I crazy? Ah well, it is too good anyway.

https://youtu.be/zz7PDBhav5s

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I want to awesome that, but doing so makes me feel weird. Like, I am impressed with Machinegames' willingness to show what the Wolfenstein Earth is like, but at the same time, it's still a commercial for a show about a Super-Nazi that fights 'bad guys' like Uncle Sam and Lady Liberty.

Related, The Illegal Eagle is a hilarious name for a character.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    I want to awesome that, but doing so makes me feel weird. Like, I am impressed with Machinegames' willingness to show what the Wolfenstein Earth is like, but at the same time, it's still a commercial for a show about a Super-Nazi that fights 'bad guys' like Uncle Sam and Lady Liberty.

Related, The Illegal Eagle is a hilarious name for a character.

I more or less agree, but I'd gladly subscribe to Fraulein Fox's newsletter.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I would legitimately be tempted to buy a collector's edition if it included a Blitzmensch action figure.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I mean, I watched an episode of Hogan's Heroes for the first time the other day. The "bad guys" in that show seem to be bumbling Nazis, and even then they seem pretty okay.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    A lot of that is going to be toned down and romanticized to fit the standards of a 1950s broadcast television comedy sitcom, but Klink and Schultz were also much more affable characters in general because of their in-story background; as I recall both Klink and Schultz being more chivalrous(yet inept) old line WW1 veterans who were forced back into the military by the Nazis. For example Schultz retired from WW1 to become the owner of a childrens' toy company before being forced to return to service and his factory being taken by the state and converted to military production. The other German officers that showed up over the course of the show were characteristically much more vicious and in line with the Nazis at the time, though again kept to within acceptability standards of 50s television. (i.e. one of them realistically would have simply shot Hogan in short order - but you can't kill the main character!)

• Options
    so i finally got around to playing The Old Blood and while it doesn't back the same punch that New Order does, it was entirely worth it for this exchange alone.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Wraith260/video/34709381

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I would legitimately be tempted to buy a collector's edition if it included a Blitzmensch action figure.

I am a bit surprised the Collector's Edition doesn't come with Terror-Billy and Blitzmensch.

I legit want all of these actually.

https://youtu.be/BM5shE229v0

• Options
    Terror Billy is such a good name for an action figure.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    I found it funny (and a tiny bit odd) that that's actually what the Nazis call him as well

I mean, if you're going to stop him from becoming a martyr figure of the resistance I don't know if lionizing him like that is going to work to your advantage

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    I gotta ask though, whats the end game for this setting exactly? I mean, from what I understand, the Nazis basically run the whole planet at this point, right? Unless you're going to personally murder every single Nazi, I dont really see how any sort of victory is possible

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Time travel, you say?

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    Time travel, you say?

At the end of the game, with BJ about to give his life to save the day a portal opens. . . "Time to split!"

Then MachineGames announce they are making a TimeSplitters reboot.

I could die happy.