As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] going one way, people another

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Damn, accidentally fell into a bottomless pit, now I have to sit by a fire for 5 minutes. Worst mechanic.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Also, this american made aquavit is delicious.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    http://play.freeciv.org/

And now [chat] dies as everyone plays the HTML5 version of FreeCiv...

Nah, I never could get into the Civ games.

Eh, same really. I played one game of Civ 5 because I got it free with my XCOM preorder, but haven't touched it since. Just thought I'd share in case anyone in [chat] happens to like the games.

How's Japan?

Good good. First day back at work since my vacation in Bali, and while obviously I'd rather be off sitting on a beach in the sun I am pretty happy to be back at work. Looking forward to getting back into the rhythm of work and the gym and kendo, and looking on winning some boardgame converts in my area soon.

How is you?

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    As I play San Andreas, I like to imagine that the various humiliations CJ endures help broaden his worldview. Like, after being deposited with no weapons or money in the middle of the sticks, he secretly develops an appreciation for country music. Then after going to San Francisco I make sure he sports a pink mohawk, dresses really well, and turns the dial to the techno station.

You play GTA in a weird way.

it fits! the whole game is kind of about learning that the hood life is stupid bullshit.

also I need some kind of plausible reason for why I like dressing in the biker outfit, riding around the mountains and listening to All My Exes Live in Texas

Not gonna lie, I used to play imaginary meta games in GTA all the time. Like I'd sometimes actually just walk around the streets at a normal walking pace just to get a sense for what the city feels like to an AI pedestrian. In IV I would sometimes take full-length cab rides and not skip them, just to look out the windows and watch the city go by.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    As I play San Andreas, I like to imagine that the various humiliations CJ endures help broaden his worldview. Like, after being deposited with no weapons or money in the middle of the sticks, he secretly develops an appreciation for country music. Then after going to San Francisco I make sure he sports a pink mohawk, dresses really well, and turns the dial to the techno station.

it fits! the whole game is kind of about learning that the hood life is stupid bullshit.

also I need some kind of plausible reason for why I like dressing in the biker outfit, riding around the mountains and listening to All My Exes Live in Texas

Not gonna lie, I used to play imaginary meta games in GTA all the time. Like I'd sometimes actually just walk around the streets at a normal walking pace just to get a sense for what the city feels like to an AI pedestrian. In IV I would sometimes take full-length cab rides and not skip them, just to look out the windows and watch the city go by.

I do this too!

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Met a Palestinian guy this afternoon coming out of the FedEx place. He was a regular at my Walgreens, so he's been an acquaintance for a couple of years now. I busted out my Leventine Arabic on him, and he said I had a "very good accent."

Just so rewarding to have my efforts to become Ali of Arabia recognized.

how could you even tell where he was from without hearing him scream

i dont get it

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    The daughter of our vice-president, whose entire political experience constitutes being her father's Personal Assistant, is now 5th place in our Senatorial elections. The guy who converted a former slum town into a bustling tourist attraction of a city is at 13th place, just outside the last seat in the running. He is behind the guy who made 2 coup attempts during the 90s to oust the president.

Fuck this shit. I'm drinking.

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    Oh my God I can't hear anything

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    You know, I'm incredibly pleased to be living in this time.

I've lived through the birth of the internet, the completion of the human genome project, the discovery of the Higgs boson and voted the first black US president into office.

That's pretty fucking cool.

And the future is incredibly exciting.

Even if it somehow all goes to shit it has been an awesome time to be alive.

• Options
    In the Half Life 2 games I would walk any time I wasn't in combat. Going through the world slowly lets you drink it all in.

I love when a game inspires me to want to do that.

Another example that came to mind was Shadows of the Colossus. Did a lot of nice slow strolls with my horse.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    So, Magicka.

Eh?

Eh?

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Now that I've filled out all these court forms I guess I should look into filing them.

Names are scary.

• Options
    The daughter of our vice-president, whose entire political experience constitutes being her father's Personal Assistant, is now 5th place in our Senatorial elections. The guy who converted a former slum town into a bustling tourist attraction of a city is at 13th place, just outside the last seat in the running. He is behind the guy who made 2 coup attempts during the 90s to oust the president.

Fuck this shit. I'm drinking.

Senate is a more prestigious office, so name recognition goes mich further than actual credentials, as compared to the House.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

I do this too!

Doing this with the stagecoaches in Red Dead was both awesome and slow and boring at the same time.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular

And this is why you shouldn't give boys ear jobs.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    In the Half Life 2 games I would walk any time I wasn't in combat. Going through the world slowly lets you drink it all in.

Another example that came to mind was Shadows of the Colossus. Did a lot of nice slow strolls with my horse.

Have you played Bioshock Infinite yet?

It has some of the best "just hanging out" moments ever.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    The car is coming to get me in three hours... Should I even bother trying to sleep?

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular

Concert or club? :P

• Options

I do this too!

So did I.

Also I never fast traveled in Skyrim unless I couldn't avoid it.

OH! And the wagons between towns in Red Dead Redemption.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

I do this too!

I only do this in RDR. But the scenery there is so pretty.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    rdr was more fun to ride around on your own

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    http://play.freeciv.org/

And now [chat] dies as everyone plays the HTML5 version of FreeCiv...

Nah, I never could get into the Civ games.

Eh, same really. I played one game of Civ 5 because I got it free with my XCOM preorder, but haven't touched it since. Just thought I'd share in case anyone in [chat] happens to like the games.

How's Japan?

Good good. First day back at work since my vacation in Bali, and while obviously I'd rather be off sitting on a beach in the sun I am pretty happy to be back at work. Looking forward to getting back into the rhythm of work and the gym and kendo, and looking on winning some boardgame converts in my area soon.

How is you?

The usual amounts of boredom at work plus the stress of not knowing how my group interview went earlier this month. I'll be finding out by the end of the week, though!

But on the plus side, I've been watching the old seasons of Arrested Development during my commute and loving it :)

工事中
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    Damn, accidentally fell into a bottomless pit, now I have to sit by a fire for 5 minutes. Worst mechanic.

Is this what happens when you die in Neverwinter?

I wouldn't know you see.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    If I could, I would fast travel through cab rides IRL

• Options
    Winky wrote: »

Have you played Bioshock Infinite yet?

It has some of the best "just hanging out" moments ever.

Nah not yet unfortunately. And it will probably be a while before I get around to it to be honest. I have enough on my plate that I want to do that I don't really feel like I have the time to sink into Infinite enough to really appreciate it.

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    RDR needs to be on pc goddamnit

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    rdr was more fun to ride around on your own

No car equivalent of "Surprise! Cougar!"

• Options
    RdR needed dlc that wasn't multiplayer or zombies

• Options

I do this too!

Oh my gof we're basically the same person!

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Girl + Magic: the Gathering t-shirt + kitten
    935572_10201057318612142_941912981_n.jpg

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

Concert or club? :P

Concert, which was essentially a rave. I danced hard for three hours, in addition to running this morning I definitely filled my exercise quota for the day.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    spool32 wrote: »

I do this too!

So did I.

I want to play a survival mod for Skyrim. No fast travel, and you have to eat and sleep regularly in order to survive.

This has to exist already, I should go find it.

• Options
    Zampanov wrote: »
    RDR needs to be on pc goddamnit

I was surprised and disappointed by this.

• Options
    That kitten is so adorable.

• Options
    Gah, why are all these impressions of A Study of Emerald being written by people after having played the game once.

Its a complicated deck building game that interfaces with a worker placement / area control game with a bidding system.

Bro, you are going to have dick all that is meaningful to say about this game after one play.

• Options

I do this too!

So did I.

I want to play a survival mod for Skyrim. No fast travel, and you have to eat and sleep regularly in order to survive.

You and I have completely different ideas of what constitutes fun in an RPG.

I think needing to eat and sleep in your games is perhaps the worst mechanic ever invented. But this is OK!

We can like different things.

• Options
    Deebaser wrote: »
    RdR needed dlc that wasn't multiplayer or zombies

Dude, I loved the multi. I actually played some multiplayer poker for a while.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

I do this too!

So did I.

I do this too!

So did I.

It does.

It's okay, though I find that it gets a bit much with Skyrim.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Having to eat in a game is fine if it is like, an integral, well thought out part of a game.

If its just like, a stupid bar that drains over time that makes you do stupid side things to refill it? Yeah, that is just annoying.

• Options
    Games with gamepad (or specifically 360 controller) support is such a minor thing that's made such a big difference for me. Like I can't imagine having to play GTA4 on PC with a mouse+keyboard; driving would be wonky and not at all fun. Plus it means I can play on my 40" TV with my legs up.

Basically what I'm saying here is that SteamBox is onto something.

This discussion has been closed.