As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Grim Dawn] Somehow even grimmer

• Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    Dranyth wrote: »
    On the main menu you just change your difficulty setting. And you can change it back to go to normal/veteran whenever you want as well.

Gotcha. Thanks

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Man that Bastion of Chaos is no joke. So many environmental hazards and hoards! Last guy was just a giant ball of awesome to look at while I was watching my health bar! No legendaries sadly, but gained 2 levels down there!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    ToyD wrote: »
    Man that Bastion of Chaos is no joke. So many environmental hazards and hoards! Last guy was just a giant ball of awesome to look at while I was watching my health bar! No legendaries sadly, but gained 2 levels down there!

You won't get much legendaries to drop on Normal/Veteran, which is one of the reasons to switch to Elite. I just played on Elite for ~90 min and got 3 legendaries (though that's more lucky than usual in my experience). Been very lucky with this Pyro so far, even the legendary I got from killing Log was an awesome weapon upgrade. Only downside from wielding/wearing a bunch of legendary equipment is that the screen is so full of spell effects from all the procs I have no idea which ones are enemy spells and which poison clouds, meteors, fissures and pentagrams are mine.

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that's an issue with a lot of Diablo-ish aRPGs though, effects start to get nuts/detrimental at high level.

• Options
    Figured I should try Port Valbury once just so I could see what it is like despite not really enjoying fighting the late-game Aetherals and the stupid crystals and ouchy floor. Managed to slowly make my way a bit deeper, not really enjoying myself but slowly making progress when the damn game crashes, first time for me in ages. I think that was the last chance I was going to give to doing that place, not going there again. I did get one useless legendary and a bunch of xp and some lore snippets so not a total waste, looks like the game saved not much before I crashed.

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Well I did start my Poison/Acid Witch Hunter the other day, got to Homestead today and hit 36. It's starting to come into its own now.

I was a little apprehensive about playing the Witch Hunter though, I'm already iffy about having to refresh Blood of Dreeg every 30 seconds, adding Pneumatic Burst every 24 seconds seemed like it was going to be really annoying, but I guess it isn't all that bad. I do have a couple of end-game-ish pieces for this guy in storage, but man am I missing a lot in the way of mid-game gear. It should be alright, this is one of the least gear dependent character styles, and is supposed to be really good for farming. We'll see!

• Options
    Finished up the Warden on my first elite run last night. Man resistances are the way to go! I had no problems at all the second time through the first act because I had almost all my main resistances up over 50 very soon after restarting.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    407 hours played and killed Ultimate Log for the first time just now. Not even 85 yet with this druid, using a sort of pet build that relies entirely on Wind Devils, Storm Totems and devotion procs to kill stuff. Only direct attack I have is Grasping Vines and that barely scratches anybody, though it has one more devotion proc tied to it.

Expansion is coming soonish too, there's another Grim Misadventure post from the devs tomorrow that might finally reveal the second new mastery. They've already shown the first new mastery (Inquisitor, has skills for using two pistols), a transmogrifer NPC and the new higher level legendaries that can alter skills when equiped (Summon Familiar summoning 2 Ravens, increased radius for skills, stuff like that). It all looks good to me, can't wait for the expansion. ^_^

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    If I'm going for a Pet build and committed to at least using Occultist, what's a good pair for that? It seems like Shaman but is there something I'm not seeing?

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    If I'm going for a Pet build and committed to at least using Occultist, what's a good pair for that? It seems like Shaman but is there something I'm not seeing?

Occulist/Shaman is a good combo. I played through with this build and it worked really well.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Occulist/Shaman is a good combo. I played through with this build and it worked really well.

Occultist/Shaman is pretty much the only pet build generally thought as good right now. I went with Occultist/Arcanist for mine and it ended up kinda lopsided. Shaman would have worked a lot better probably. Of course once the expansion hits there'll be two more good pet build combinations, Occ/Nec and Nec/Shm.

Mirkel on
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    ooo I luvs me some necromancer. when does that come out?

edit: oh man SUMMER? f to that

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    I think I will try to build an aether focused character once the expansion drops. Hopefully we get some more info about all the masteries so I can try to plan something out!

• Options
    Arise, dead thread, for the Necromancer (and Inquisitor) are upon us!
    Ashes of Malmouth, the Grim Dawn expansion is coming next month!

https://youtu.be/oz2Z6hN5YBs

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    Arise, dead thread, for the Necromancer (and Inquisitor) are upon us!
    Ashes of Malmouth, the Grim Dawn expansion is coming next month!

https://youtu.be/oz2Z6hN5YBs

Im glad its next month. Too much good stuff this month to burn out on

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    oh wow. haven't touched this game in a while but that might bring me back in.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Grimtools already updated for the expansion, so if you are curious about the new classes that's a good place to see what sort of skills they get.

ETA: It also has the new constellations.

Mirkel on
  • Options
    Would anyone be interested in running some MP with the new classes once this drops? Bonus points if you have Crucible and we can get some easy devotion points up front :biggrin:

• Options
    i'm probably never on or available but heck yes

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Expansion is going to be $18 on Steam, btw.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    any idea when it'll be up to pre-order?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Release date for the expansion is 11th of October.

Maybe I'll manage to finish Divinity OS2 before that.

• Options
    Has anyone picked up the expansion yet? Too many recent games and life responsibilities have kept me from devoting any time to cleansing Cairn so I must live vicariously through other people.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I have, so far I like the inquisitor pretty decently but I am only level 8, haven’t hit any of the new content yet.

• Options
    Grim Dawn is super cheap on GOG right now f anyone hasn't got it yet.

I played a little Necromancer so far and wow early on skeletons are brutal. They're really fast and annihilate anything that gets near you almost instantly

• Options
    m!ttens wrote: »
    Has anyone picked up the expansion yet? Too many recent games and life responsibilities have kept me from devoting any time to cleansing Cairn so I must live vicariously through other people.

Yeah, been playing the new content a bit on my Saboteur on ultimate and I mostly love it but the bosses aren't much fun for my rather fragile melee. I've had to basically kite every one of them, and one was so hard I was contemplating on giving up until it got stuck between a crystal and a stone pillar and I spent the next 10 minutes slowly whittling it down. Getting to 55 devotion points helped a bit and the trash is mostly interesting to fight. On a more positive note everything looks absolutely gorgeous, they've managed to make a swap look great which is something many games fail at. There's some interesting factions too, witches and .. uh .. very wholesome and nice and definitely not suspicious village folks and so on.

Tons of content all in all, cheap at full the price.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Never did end up finishing this.

Probably going to end up restarting as gunner.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Necromancer is so good. You get tons of skeletons with different abilities.

Also trying a demolitionist/inquisitor for full john woo firestrike goodness

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »

This is what I'm doing first and it's rad as hell.

• Options

I wasnt sold on it at first. Then I realized it was due to my awful guns after I upgraded and everything just started melting when I looked in their general direction

• Options
    edited October 2017

I wasnt sold on it at first. Then I realized it was due to my awful guns after I upgraded and everything just started melting when I looked in their general direction

Getting all those fiery devotion procs helps a ton as well, once you start filling the screen with Fissures and Meteor Showers it really gets going.

Mirkel on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    I approve of any game with necrodancers, but ones with awesome necrodancers even more so!

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna start playing this
    what do i do

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    what do i do

Just wing it the first time around, much more fun than reading 1000 guides that are all focused on end-game builds. Put most of your stat points into physique, all the other stuff is easy to respec.

• Options
    what do i do

click on things watch them die pick up loots

see zombies, get scared!

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Mirkel wrote: »
    what do i do

Just wing it the first time around, much more fun than reading 1000 guides that are all focused on end-game builds. Put most of your stat points into physique, all the other stuff is easy to respec.

I made a necromancer and went for all the pets. I'm level 40 and have facerolled everything playing on Veteran. I finally died to an offscreen meteor a bunch of mines that took me a while to figure out were mines in a field north of Ft. Ikon. Once things start to get hard, I may check out a guide for both build and crafting advice. One thing this game can drive you crazy with is itemization since pretty much anything can drop and there are so many items and affixes, finding something both good and that works for your build can be challenging.

Here is the build I will probably use as a template once I'm higher level. This is based on the fact that it is a petmancer and there is actually a thread with feedback which suggests the builder has some sense of what they are doing. http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56793

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    what do i do

Maxing out your main attack skill relatively quick helps in the beginning, especially if it has bonus damage.

There are some nice touches in the expansion. Some of the text changes if you are a shaman in the expansion, when the events relate to that. I wonder now if the necro gets the same. And the town is fantastically awful.

Kipling on
    3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    Doing a pet focused Necro/Occultist and so far I'm rolling over everything. Granted it's only normal, but so far my army of pets is just steaming through everything. Even the big dude in the cave that's several levels higher than you are when you first encounter him was a complete joke. Drop a curse, direct pets to attack, throw out a row of bones and watch him melt. Very satisfying so far.

• Options
    Expansion has been pretty fun. I made a skelemancer which is wrecking face and about halfway through Act 3 Elite. Huge single target damage, solid trash clear, and CC not really needed due to all the Threat generated by my minions. This is the farthest I've ever gotten a character as I get bit by alt-itis right around the time I finish the normal/vet campaign. All the cool mid/high level drops I'm seeing now though are quickly filling my stash and making me want to build/level characters that can actually use them so maybe it's time to roll another new character...

Has anyone built a fun Inquisitor yet? I have a Purifier (Inq/Demo) gunslinger that is relying on WPS but it's much slower and squishier than the necro I referenced above.

• Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Slightly OT but figured people in this thread might be interested. Nordic just released an expansion for Titan Quest AE.

PC Gamer
    Steam store page
    Ragnarok.

New mastery is the rune master. 85 max level. New Act. And you can wear pants apparently. Not sure if American or British pants but pants it is. Always fun to murder Celts in pants.

danx on