As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Existential [Chat]s

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Ur had a thousand years of relative calm

who knows what the hell they got up to

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Also pods

I have always seen math as the purest and most perfect expression of logocentric thought?

If I understand you correctly, I think that way isn't well thought of anymore. When I was learning math it was all based on the notion that there is absolutely no claim whatsoever that any mathematical concept is a-priori. It is all based on postulates which are not proven. If you accept the postulates underlying a given theorem then the theorem itself is guaranteed to be true but no claims are made that the postulates have any independent truth or existence of their own.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I think it also cannot be overstated that Pythagoras was basically Time Cube guy circa 500BC.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Podly wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Sexually progressive cultures gave us mathematics, literature, philosophy, civilization and the rest, while sexually restrictive cultures gave us the Dark Ages and the Holocaust. Not that I’m trying to load my argument, of course.

I had no idea that anyone knew anything about sexual politics in Uruk period Mesopotamia.

While that quote is obviously loaded, I didn't think that the mesopotamian cultures and egyptians can be credited with inventing mathematics "proper." like, the egyptians knew about calculating triangles from the nile flooding and stuff like that but didn't make the necessary abstraction of "a^2+b^2=c^2 necessarily"
    Its just kind of a silly statement. The Greeks condoned casual child rape. The Islamic nations that invented much of mathematics have never been "sexually progressive." In China advanced mathematics was developed by followers of a moralistic school of philosophers. Sexual progressiveness is no more logically linked to rational advancement than speaking Greek or Latin.

"Culture X has attribute A. Culture Y has attribute 'A. Therefore A causes output(X)" is fallacious, lazy and glib.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    i liked the reversal bit a lot in Startrek2

haha, also i find it hilarious that they chose that plot.

I'm not sure how I felt about
    Spock yelling "KHAN!"

It felt like it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but if so, it was a really inappropriate time for that.

Maybe it's a problem with the word itself.

Everybody in that movie sounded stupid when trying to emphasize it.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    I think it also cannot be overstated that Pythagoras was basically Time Cube guy circa 500BC.

Oh god.

The Time Cube guy has invented a death ray.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    oh yeah, one thing i found weird about Star Trek into Darkness

dunno if it's a spoiler, it's really a minor background detail...
    There's a fucking robot dude on the Bridge... what the fuck was that about?

That was an alien you racist!

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular

the pythagorans and syracuse settlement were fucking BONKERS

mortally afraid of eating beans

shadow worship

basically if you were a mathematician before like ... the 18th century you thought you were at least a minor wizard

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

Maybe meant to be
    Like a proto-Data ?

Yeah, but that doesn't work, doesn't it?
    Data is supposed to be the first self-aware android to serve in Starfleet, no? I dunno, I didn't watch a lot of Star Trek. But from what i saw, Data was considered "Pretty fuckin' special" (That's technical jargon). You'd think they wouldn't have Data-class robots in that era!

Well, possibly
    what's special about Data is that he's self-aware, but that doesn't mean earlier ships couldn't have had robot/cyborg crew members that were more like automatons.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

That was an alien you racist!

Alternate universe borg.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Also pods

I have always seen math as the purest and most perfect expression of logocentric thought?

Certain fields, yes

But it also seems very good at dealing with functions that have objects that are not "logocentric"

partial differential equations and all that good shit

I'm going to disagree with that sort of! The very nature of differential calculus seems, to me, to be the attempt to reconcile various infinities and other quantitatively difficult concepts within a system of representation that is purely based on division, rigid definition, etc. It manages to apprehend through approximation, almost like creating an image using negative space, using interation to narrow down the imperfection to an infinitesimal scale.

That seems like a brilliant way to engage as much as possible with something essentially separate from itself. Maybe you're right in that math is flexible enough, potentially, to encompass that kind of thinking by clever sidesteps like imaginary numbers and differential calculus.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    The binary spectrum is divided between "Feral" on the sexually progressive side and "everything else" for sexually restrictive.

Ahem.
    Ahaha nope, not this time. Very bold of you to look, though!

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    god fucking damnit css suck my dick

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    The binary spectrum is divided between "Feral" on the sexually progressive side and "everything else" for sexually restrictive.

Ahem.

I was very strongly considering putting "Spool's wife" in there, but had to limit it to one and decided Feral was more relevant to the conversation.

• Options

Ahem.

Hmm, I see.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    you could argue that platonic thought is basically a way of legitimizing having a young boy jack you off

foucault's second volume of the history of sexuality is SUPER interesting about how young boys existed in the nebulous realm of "MALE = POWER NO BUTTSEX WOMEN = NO POWER FUCK THAT SHIT UP SON" because they were not men but could become men and clearly thus way more powerful than women

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Ludious wrote: »

css is a style sheet language, that is not possible.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »

what is

I sense there is something here that I didn't know I didn't know about, until just now.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Sexually progressive cultures gave us mathematics, literature, philosophy, civilization and the rest, while sexually restrictive cultures gave us the Dark Ages and the Holocaust. Not that I’m trying to load my argument, of course.

I had no idea that anyone knew anything about sexual politics in Uruk period Mesopotamia.

While that quote is obviously loaded, I didn't think that the mesopotamian cultures and egyptians can be credited with inventing mathematics "proper." like, the egyptians knew about calculating triangles from the nile flooding and stuff like that but didn't make the necessary abstraction of "a^2+b^2=c^2 necessarily"

I don't know how anyone puts the Arabs in the "sexually progressive" column, though things like enshrined female property rights are a plus.

I would like to point out that I did not post the quote because I found it a particularly clever insight, but because I liked its phrasing.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    whoa i just realized how strong that bigass latte was

i love the coffee shop in my hood, it's the only one around that makes coffee strong enough for me

I'm buzzin' yo

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

you need html5 for that

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    On the other hand, 21st, it could have just been JJ Abrams going, "This would be a cool thing to have!"

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    PantsB wrote: »

Its just kind of a silly statement. The Greeks condoned casual child rape. The Islamic nations that invented much of mathematics have never been "sexually progressive." In China advanced mathematics was developed by followers of a moralistic school of philosophers. Sexual progressiveness is no more logically linked to rational advancement than speaking Greek or Latin.

"Culture X has attribute A. Culture Y has attribute 'A. Therefore A causes output(X)" is fallacious, lazy and glib.

That's something that supports the statement, by the way.

Also, it should be clear from the last sentence that being glib is the whole point.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

what is

I sense there is something here that I didn't know I didn't know about, until just now.

Ur, birthplace of the LAW.

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular

I don't know how anyone puts the Arabs in the "sexually progressive" column, though things like enshrined female property rights are a plus.

I would like to point out that I did not post the quote because I found it a particularly clever insight, but because I liked its phrasing.

Abd you've committed Intellectual Malpractice™.

Which is at least the second-worst kind of malpractice.

• Options
    Spool's wife is down for a lot of kinky shit, it's true.

(you cannot be angry with me because this is factually true and just insinuating that I've cuckolded you)

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

you need html5 for that

fine it's just fucking me since I am pretty much ready to scrap doing my entire blog because of it. Somebody is getting fucked.

• Options
    wait, what's all this about partial differential equations? It ain't no mystical mamajama.

it's actually very simple conceptually.

You have a function of two or more variables where it is the derivatives (or second derivatives or Nth derivatives) of the variables which are constrained. You want to find a solution (or family of solutions) for those constraints.

EG: the way in which heat diffuses. Or the wave equation.

the only difficulty is that actually computing integrals is difficult. There are a lot more integrals where it is possible to prove a solution exists but have it be unknown than ones with known solutions. And solving a partial differential equation comes down to several integrals.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Also, Ur was in the Bible. It's where Abraham came from.

Learn your holy book Spool!

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013

Pretty sure you can embed scripting via css, using the content tag.

It's still not the css doing the sucking, that's plain old DOM and Js, but it can get things started.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options

Abd you've committed Intellectual Malpractice™.

Which is at least the second-worst kind of malpractice.

what can I say, I'm an aesthetic.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    So, perusing the SE++ Youtube thread has led me to three sci-fi movie trailers. Ender's Game being the only one I knew of before hand.

Well...I think Ender's Game is going to be the lightweight entry for sci-fi this year:

Gravity:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufsrgE0BYf0
    (This looks terrifying)

Europa Report
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbw9hlBnG74

• Options

what is

City in the southern part of what is now Iraq. It is interesting in that writing was invented in that area for the first time so it has a longer recorded history than almost any other city (though cities had been around for thousands of years prior).

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    wait, what's all this about partial differential equations? It ain't no mystical mamajama.

You have a function of two or more variables where it is the derivatives (or second derivatives or Nth derivatives) of the variables which are constrained. You want to find a solution (or family of solutions) for those constraints.

the only difficulty is that actually computing integrals is difficult. There are a lot more integrals where it is possible to prove a solution exists but have it be unknown than ones with known solutions. And solving a partial differential equation comes down to several integrals.

there is a proportionality between conceptual simplicity and amount of pages I will fill with one bullshit equation

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Talk of the Nation did a Thing today on "alt labor," which is apparently a popular categorization for labor organizations that aren't actual unions. The whole segment made me a little depressed about how marginalized labor is in the U.S. outside of specific very powerful organizations like the SEIU, NEA, AFL-CIO, etc. The stats on the percentages of unionized labor in the U.S. and references to recent anti-labor headlines (Scott Walker, etc.) were particularly :( .

• Options
    Cinders wrote: »
    Also, Ur was in the Bible. It's where Abraham came from.

Learn your holy book Spool!

well... kind of. The "Ur" in the bible has no relation to the actual city of Ur since the writers had absolutely no solid historical data (or even oral traditions or myths) going back that far.

The Old Testament is totally unreliable, even in a "based on a spark of truth" vauge kind of way, prior to like 900 BCE.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Abdy is glib.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    im not gonna give my brother a graduation gift he's a doo doo

poo
  • Options
    Welp, I learned something. Serves me right for being all smug.

• Options

there's nothing mystical about logocentrism

it's the concept that every "being" must be a single, discrete entity

i was using PDEs as shorthand for mathematical functions good at dealing with lots of different "parts" of an entity

logocentrism is tied up with univocal being, that everything that exists exists in the same way. human thought, at it's current state, doesn't deal well with things existing in multiple manners. if it IS indeed the case, mathetmatics would be our best tool for a model in which things may indeed have polysemous existence

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
This discussion has been closed.