As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Existential [Chat]s

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Can someone make my foot stop hurting? :(

Get yourself in for maintenance, Robutt

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    My tummy is starting to make all sorts of wonky noises.
    This is probably not a good sign for later.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXHjo826R2k

for some reason this music hit just the right spot right now

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Geth roll 1d100 for "chances of explosive diarrhea"

"chances of explosive diarrhea":
    1d100 88 [1d100=88]

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    fuck.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    This [chat] inspires in me a deepseated feeling of

On-Wii.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Something that irrationally irritates me more than it should:

online commerce sites that require you to select your credit card type

you can programmatically determine that from the first digit of the card number

you don't need me to tell you that

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

I love the ones that have the Select Your Card menu still, but autoselect when you enter the number.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    EM, the thing about eastern philosophies is that they, to my knowledge, always operate under some teleological manner in which "nothingness" is merely another form of sublimation. Heidegger opened up the door, explored by Derrida, Foucault, Deleauaze, and others, that we are trapped by historical thinking-structures, of which metaphysics is always the ground floor. The problem is that in attempting to tarry with that metaphysics, we must use metaphysics itself, which is like trying to straighten out a moebius strip. They insinuate that it is very likely we can get out of it, but it seems like the universe is just an information generating machine, and once we get out of metaphysics, the new structure will just hint at another margin and meta-structure and it's just turtles all the way down

I think it's important not to make the typical western move here, which is to conflate eastern metaphysical philosophy with its religious metaphysics

I am personally not particularly well-versed in eastern academic philosophy but I know there is a lot less emphasis on teleology than you might think, though they are influenced by the dominant religions, historically (as we are influenced by Christian philosophers and theologists)

I'm not sure how we would "get out" of metaphysics, though; it always struck me as a sort of horizon of human understanding? like, that's where a human mind can no longer interface with or grasp the nature of reality, maybe ever.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    @echo
    DvDb2e7.jpg
    MY BROTTHERRRRRRRRRRRRR

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »

To be fair, there have been WAY more terrifying things on adventure time than that image.

That wreck-it ralph is badass.

I do not understand that Donald Duck

Imagine it talking in Donald Duck's voice

little droplets of spittle farting out of its throatholes

SNL did a bit which was Donald Duck having a Vietnam nightmare (which is an old bit but the old bit isn't on hulu) and maybe it's one too many group therapy sessions but it's one of those things that just makes me laugh so damn hard. Donald Duck's voice makes everything better.

• Options
    Stood in firelight, sweltering. Bloodstain on chest like map of violent new continent. Felt cleansed. Felt dark planet turn under my feet and knew what cats know that makes them scream like babies in night. Looked at sky through smoke heavy with human fat and God was not there. The cold, suffocating dark goes on forever and we are alone. Live our lives, lacking anything better to do. Devise reason later. Born from oblivion; bear children, hell-bound as ourselves, go into oblivion. There is nothing else. Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It’s us. Only us. Streets stank of fire. The void breathed hard on my heart, turning its illusions to ice, shattering them. Was reborn then, free to scrawl own design on this morally blank world. Was Rorschach. Does that answer your questions, Doctor?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

I'm pretty annoyed nowadays even at commerce sites that require I sign up for an account with them.

I don't want an account with everyone I do business with!

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular

I love the ones that have the Select Your Card menu still, but autoselect when you enter the number.

it's probably so that people don't freak out because they're stupid and they'll think something's wrong

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    The most important question: Hogan or Flair?

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    EM, the thing about eastern philosophies is that they, to my knowledge, always operate under some teleological manner in which "nothingness" is merely another form of sublimation. Heidegger opened up the door, explored by Derrida, Foucault, Deleauaze, and others, that we are trapped by historical thinking-structures, of which metaphysics is always the ground floor. The problem is that in attempting to tarry with that metaphysics, we must use metaphysics itself, which is like trying to straighten out a moebius strip. They insinuate that it is very likely we can get out of it, but it seems like the universe is just an information generating machine, and once we get out of metaphysics, the new structure will just hint at another margin and meta-structure and it's just turtles all the way down

I think it's important not to make the typical western move here, which is to conflate eastern metaphysical philosophy with its religious metaphysics

I am personally not particularly well-versed in eastern academic philosophy but I know there is a lot less emphasis on teleology than you might think, though they are influenced by the dominant religions, historically (as we are influenced by Christian philosophers and theologists)

I'm not sure how we would "get out" of metaphysics, though; it always struck me as a sort of horizon of human understanding? like, that's where a human mind can no longer interface with or grasp the nature of reality, maybe ever.

I like to use 2001 as a metaphor for it. I think of socrates (to make him the singular "logos" for the wave of human thought that was early greek mathetmatics and hermetic philosophy) as having found some obelisk of thought, and that human thought "jumped" like an electron to the next orbit of thought. Obviously this is an oversimplification but I think the human brain is extremely plastic and, over time, consciousness itself is not anything inherent and can change. The only thing that stays the same is that we will never not be dasein, we will never be that "being" "carried alongside" the processes of a human brain.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

I'm pretty annoyed nowadays even at commerce sites that require I sign up for an account with them.

but then how would we send you e-mails of all our latest product offerings?!

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular

If you like that, you'll love this site that wouldn't let me buy concert tickets because it would 1) have my choose my credit card type and enter my number, and then 2) throw back an error when I tried to submit and automatically change my card type from Visa to American Express in the drop down.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    God damn it, the guy behind the Dogs Playing D&D poster looked into doing them on velvet and decided it was too expensive.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

Ultimate warrior
    Then the Undertaker
    Then Hogan

• Options
    also last night I was so tired from having worked two weeks in a row that even on my off day I passed the fuck out with the gf watching arrested development

didn't finish my dogfish head 60 minute and half asleep put it on my windowsill

knocked it over this morning and it spilled on my mattress

it is not an unpleasant thing for your mattress to smell of

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    but now I want a beer and luckily for me i have plenty in the fridge

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

Even if you didn't sign up for an account, the technical requirements of running an ecommerce business would mean one is still being created for you behind the scenes.

At least when you create one you can access the profile and change it if need be.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I saw Start Rek: Int Odar Kness.

I had fun. it was ennernainin.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular

I like to use 2001 as a metaphor for it. I think of socrates (to make him the singular "logos" for the wave of human thought that was early greek mathetmatics and hermetic philosophy) as having found some obelisk of thought, and that human thought "jumped" like an electron to the next orbit of thought. Obviously this is an oversimplification but I think the human brain is extremely plastic and, over time, consciousness itself is not anything inherent and can change. The only thing that stays the same is that we will never not be dasein, we will never be that "being" "carried alongside" the processes of a human brain.

It's times like these that make me regret forsaking university humanities for an artist's brush.

488W936.png
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

Ultimate warrior
    Then the Undertaker
    Then Hogan

Flair has gotta be top 5 right?

• Options
    also last night I was so tired from having worked two weeks in a row that even on my off day I passed the fuck out with the gf watching arrested development

didn't finish my dogfish head 60 minute and half asleep put it on my windowsill

knocked it over this morning and it spilled on my mattress

it is not an unpleasant thing for your mattress to smell of

I read this as you spilled an actual dogfish head over your mattress. Those things were pretty common in the Puget sound where I grew up and are nasty as hell.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    took a week off of listening to this track of mine

it's pretty damn good

it's like acid 2.0

gotta send it out to some peeps

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    i liked the reversal bit a lot in Startrek2

haha, also i find it hilarious that they chose that plot.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »

but then how would we send you e-mails of all our latest product offerings?!

I'm annoyed by sites that use their own buggy unreliable custom-made video players instead of just using YouTube. There is literally no reason to do this except to annoy users. I literally stopped watching the Daily Show because I couldn't stand the CTV player anymore.

sig.gif
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    rewatching some arrested development

really hard to not view David Cross as the guy who talked about doing so much heroin he's shat himself in public

• Options
    Sexually progressive cultures gave us mathematics, literature, philosophy, civilization and the rest, while sexually restrictive cultures gave us the Dark Ages and the Holocaust. Not that I’m trying to load my argument, of course.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i liked the reversal bit a lot in Startrek2

haha, also i find it hilarious that they chose that plot.

I'm not sure how I felt about
    Spock yelling "KHAN!"

It felt like it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but if so, it was a really inappropriate time for that.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Even if you didn't sign up for an account, the technical requirements of running an ecommerce business would mean one is still being created for you behind the scenes.

At least when you create one you can access the profile and change it if need be.

Don't care about that. Don't care about my profile. Just want to buy a thing and drive on with my life. Delete my shit after 30 days, I don't want you to retain my data either.

Picking a damned password and responding to a confirmation email is a barrier that will frequently cost some company a sale. I can get that shit on Amazon for not too much more, or wait around for a coupon or a sale.

• Options
    it strikes me, like quite a lot of philo of mind stuff, as something that will get slapped around a lot as experimental philosophy and neuroscience progresses

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Tav wrote: »
    rewatching some arrested development

really hard to not view David Cross as the guy who talked about doing so much heroin he's shat himself in public

why?

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    the twitter feed for the guy who makes the newer Penny Arcade games + Cthulu Saves the World and such is pretty good.

But god damn he is so lucky to have an artist buddy.

I actually got in some home game coding this weekend for the first time in a while and just the nagging feeling that it will never come to anything for want of art is demotivating. And not even like good art. Quality is not the issue. Just the sheer quantity required is staggering.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    The Undertaker
    Roddy Roddy Piper
    Andre the Giant.

Lock the thread.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options