As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Existential [Chat]s

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Something that irrationally irritates me more than it should:

online commerce sites that require you to select your credit card type

you can programmatically determine that from the first digit of the card number

you don't need me to tell you that

I'm pretty annoyed nowadays even at commerce sites that require I sign up for an account with them.

I don't want an account with everyone I do business with!

but then how would we send you e-mails of all our latest product offerings?!

I'm annoyed by sites that use their own buggy unreliable custom-made video players instead of just using YouTube. There is literally no reason to do this except to annoy users. I literally stopped watching the Daily Show because I couldn't stand the CTV player anymore.

ad revenue, though

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Sexually progressive cultures gave us mathematics, literature, philosophy, civilization and the rest, while sexually restrictive cultures gave us the Dark Ages and the Holocaust. Not that I’m trying to load my argument, of course.

BRB, gotta go have sex for the good of civilization.

sig.gif
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I'm a huge fan of Job Board websites, which link to other job websites, which link to referral agencies, which link to jobs that are no longer open.

It's fantastic.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    i really need to get a pair of CDJ 900s and really hone my mixing skills

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    rewatching some arrested development

really hard to not view David Cross as the guy who talked about doing so much heroin he's shat himself in public

why?

I associate David Cross more with his standup than I do with the role of Tobias now, and that is something that has happened to him.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    oh yeah, one thing i found weird about Star Trek into Darkness

dunno if it's a spoiler, it's really a minor background detail...
    There's a fucking robot dude on the Bridge... what the fuck was that about?

• Options

I'm pretty annoyed nowadays even at commerce sites that require I sign up for an account with them.

I'm annoyed by sites that use their own buggy unreliable custom-made video players instead of just using YouTube. There is literally no reason to do this except to annoy users. I literally stopped watching the Daily Show because I couldn't stand the CTV player anymore.

ad revenue, though

They can embed the YouTube video on their page and display ads around it. Or have a script to play an ad video before the video you clicked for. Or include the ad as the first 30 seconds of their actual video instead of a different video.

sig.gif
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    like kant and a priori concepts of space and time

oh boy, did that get embarrassed

indeed. I posted this on Friday (been searching for stuff featuring this guy in youtube lately) and it has a really good explanation of why one of the current major projects in physics is showing how space and time can emerge from a framework rather than being fundamental concepts.

also has a really good explanation of the modern relationship (and what they usually talk about on documentaries is the early 80s view) between quantum mechanics and relativity (and between quantum field theory and descendants of string theory).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKvflWg95hs

this was so worth watching all the way through

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    @Mim I should be free-ish for the rest of the day, let me know if/when you want to play something.

And I guess what to play!

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular

ad revenue, though

They can embed the YouTube video on their page and display ads around it. Or have a script to play an ad video before the video you clicked for. Or include the ad as the first 30 seconds of their actual video instead of a different video.

that doesn't stop people from going to the youtube page itself and ignoring all said ads

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

Maybe meant to be
    Like a proto-Data ?

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Sexually progressive cultures gave us mathematics, literature, philosophy, civilization and the rest, while sexually restrictive cultures gave us the Dark Ages and the Holocaust. Not that I’m trying to load my argument, of course.

I had no idea that anyone knew anything about sexual politics in Uruk period Mesopotamia.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    WHY THE FUCK DID NO ONE LIST RANDY SAVAGE?!
    ILL SNAP INTO YOUR SPINE LIKE A SLIM JIMMMMMM

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Game of thrones and beer.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Riemann I know that feeling. The reason I am teaching myself how to draw is that I didn't want to be the writer going I NEED AN ARTIST TWO CENTS A PAGE DRAW ME THIS HELLA ELABORATE SCENE OMG

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Man I hate when I'm taking a leak at work, go to let out a fart, and realize I've got a code brown on my hands.

The mid-stream urinal to stall switch has got to be one of the most awkward moves out there.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

Maybe meant to be
    Like a proto-Data ?

Yeah, but that doesn't work, doesn't it?
    Data is supposed to be the first self-aware android to serve in Starfleet, no? I dunno, I didn't watch a lot of Star Trek. But from what i saw, Data was considered "Pretty fuckin' special" (That's technical jargon). You'd think they wouldn't have Data-class robots in that era!

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular

I had no idea that anyone knew anything about sexual politics in Uruk period Mesopotamia.

While that quote is obviously loaded, I didn't think that the mesopotamian cultures and egyptians can be credited with inventing mathematics "proper." like, the egyptians knew about calculating triangles from the nile flooding and stuff like that but didn't make the necessary abstraction of "a^2+b^2=c^2 necessarily"

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Man I hate when I'm taking a leak at work, go to let out a fart, and realize I've got a code brown on my hands.

The mid-stream urinal to stall switch has got to be one of the most awkward moves out there.

especially when you never actually stop the pissing.
    Edit: it's so hard to aim when you have a nevernding manly hardon from my pillsssssss

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    WHY THE FUCK DID NO ONE LIST RANDY SAVAGE?!
    ILL SNAP INTO YOUR SPINE LIKE A SLIM JIMMMMMM

Too traumatized.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    or, wait

are you some kind of sexual predator?

Well, I mean, I am.

But in this case I was being nice. She's worked hard and deserves to be complimented.

But he's right to be worried, and we are wrong for thinking less of him for doing so, is what you are saying.

Since it would be betting against the odds to assume you weren't going to pounce on her like a lion on a gazelle and crush her emotional trachea with your metaphorical equivalent of jaws.

is what you are saying.

I am not actually a sexual predator.

• Options
    abdy i am literally about to do the same thing

^5 bro

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options

ad revenue, though

that doesn't stop people from going to the youtube page itself and ignoring all said ads

Actually, it does. In the first case, most people won't bother with the extra click to see the same video on youtube instead of the page they're on now because of banner ads. In the second case, they can't click because they don't have the link to the video yet (if they do click, it'll open the same ad video they're currently watching). In the third case, the ad is in the video itself, so it makes no difference where they're watching it.

Plus, when users are so annoyed by your buggy software that they stop going watching your videos and going to your site altogether, I'd say you lose a lot of ad revenues.

sig.gif
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Maybe it makes me a philistine, but I haven't seen an existential pet image yet with text that made any sense to me.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    it strikes me, like quite a lot of philo of mind stuff, as something that will get slapped around a lot as experimental philosophy and neuroscience progresses

See I've always thought this as well

But as I've mentioned before, these guys are not stabbing in the dark. Hegel's dialectic philosophy is the explicit basis for a form of psychological treatment that is much more successful in treating addiction, depression, etc. than previous methods, for example.

Psychology will obviously be shaped by neuroscience as well, but I have recently seen these more esoteric philosophies as ways to explore the fringe of what our empirical investigations can touch, either for now or forever. They often end up informing or at least predicting those developments in other fields, and in the meantime they shape policy, medicine, personal lifestyle, art, when we need to grapple with those questions immediately.

• Options

Watch the prancing naked Nazis in Triumph of the Will, and then see if you'd still describe Nazi Germany as sexually repressed!

• Options
    it strikes me, like quite a lot of philo of mind stuff, as something that will get slapped around a lot as experimental philosophy and neuroscience progresses

paging @MrMister

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Also pods

I have always seen math as the purest and most perfect expression of logocentric thought?

• Options

Watch the prancing naked Nazis in Triumph of the Will, and then see if you'd still describe Nazi Germany as sexually repressed!

To be fair, german sexual politics of the Nazis were faaaaaaaaaaaaar more conservative (and murderous!) than the liberal Weimar Era

Weimar Berlin is one of the coolest places to have ever existed on earth

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options

To be fair, german sexual politics of the Nazis were faaaaaaaaaaaaar more conservative (and murderous!) than the liberal Weimar Era

Weimar Berlin is one of the coolest places to have ever existed on earth

P sure Ice Age Antarctica was cooler, bro.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    The most important question: Hogan or Flair?

Ultimate warrior
    Then the Undertaker
    Then Hogan

Flair has gotta be top 5 right?

@state of the art robot

... Baby you know I would never introduce lies into our relationship

• Options
    I was gonna go through the googles to get an image of a frolicking Nazi (of which there are MANY), but I'm at a government computer so I dunno if that's a wise search.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

While that quote is obviously loaded, I didn't think that the mesopotamian cultures and egyptians can be credited with inventing mathematics "proper." like, the egyptians knew about calculating triangles from the nile flooding and stuff like that but didn't make the necessary abstraction of "a^2+b^2=c^2 necessarily"

A lot of ancient civilizations saw the relationship between the sides of a right triangle. "Oh rad! Math is the best!" And then got to the relationship between the diameter and circumference of a circle and were like,

DEAR FUCKING GOD NOPE. NOPE. IT IS THREE. BUT ALSO, AVOID USING THIS OBVIOUSLY CORRECT KNOWLEDGE WHEN MAKING BUILDINGS.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options

A surprising amount dates back to Sumer. For example, the convention of having 7 days in a week, 60 seconds in a minute, 360 degrees in a circle (they used a number system whose digits alternated base 6 and base 10) , they calculated pi reasonably accurately etc... Tablets have been found from their scribal students practicing multiplication tables. They also have the earliest known writing system. They knew a great deal of practical geometry.

(side note): Egyptian civilization really got started in their Gerzean period thanks to their contact with Uruk period Mesopotamia (the earliest Gerzean artifacts / architecture etc... is very Uruk)

much later, but still 1700 years before Euclid, the Babylonian inheritors of Sumerian culture developed a system of Algebra and were able to solve equations. There is at least one tablet of figures that indicated they may have discovered the Pythagorean theorem 1300 years before Pythagoras.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Putting cultures on a binary from "sexually restrictive" to "sexually progressive" is a bit simplistic, too.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Maybe it makes me a philistine, but I haven't seen an existential pet image yet with text that made any sense to me.

Some of them are in the midst of the death of God period of philosophy and they're expressing their frustration with it, which is not something that we are necessarily in tune with these days, especially younger folks

Also they don't really lend themselves to sound bites if you're not at least somewhat conversant with the ideas of the movement

• Options
    Also pods

I have always seen math as the purest and most perfect expression of logocentric thought?

Certain fields, yes

But it also seems very good at dealing with functions that have objects that are not "logocentric"

partial differential equations and all that good shit

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    shit.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    The binary spectrum is divided between "Feral" on the sexually progressive side and "everything else" for sexually restrictive.

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular

I don't know how anyone puts the Arabs in the "sexually progressive" column, though things like enshrined female property rights are a plus.

This discussion has been closed.