As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Uknown Ponies] Troubles in Everfree Forest

Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny JackieRegistered User regular
Right, people are going to have to bear with me as this will be my first time GMing anything but lets get the general gist of things out in the open to start with:

Ponies

Roleplaying.

Using the Unknown Armies system. In particular the Uknown Ponies: Failure is magic hack.

Regarding specifics of the campaign setting it's intended to occur during season 3 but prior to the finale and will entail the players playing a group of blank flanked ponies been taken on by Luna as a night time patrol of sorts to act as her own personal counterparts to the Mane 6. The first planned adventure will be dealing with the Everfree forest and the creatures with in.

Specifics of the system will be making use of this hack: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3207923/Unknown Ponies Failure is Awesome.pdf

The Unknown Armies second edition rulebook (of which a free sample containing most of the relevant information sans combat can be found here): http://www.atlas-games.com/pdf_storage/ua2_preview.pdf

Though specific alterations to either given documents written text may occur in the name of greater playability in a play by post environment or in the general rule of having fun.

Possible players:

@Fencingsax

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    I'm interested. What all is required?

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    So yeah, I'm willing to try this.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    gavindel wrote: »
    I'm interested. What all is required?

Basically create a character (using the Failure is Awesome PDF linked) for now. Once everyone interested has character's it's just normal play by post RP with some dice rolls.

EDIT: In regards to specifics of the kind of character there's really no specific points to hit outside of currently residing in Ponyville (it can be very recent if you want to play a character from Canterlot or Manehatten) and to have in someway being interesting from the average blank flank, after all they wind up picked out by Luna.

Albino Bunny on
  • Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Hm. I'm a bit up in the air about it. I'll get back to you tomorrow after I recover from my trip and am thinking clearer.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    You know, Twilight really was the worst kind of Bibliomancer. She probably burned so many charges by loaning out books...

But the one time she got a Major, hoo doggy, did that pay off.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Rainbow Dash: Entropomancer
    Pinkie Pie: personomancer or whatever the one related to identity is
    Twilight Alternative: Cliomancer

Though I do feel the need to high light that obviously in the actual game we wont be using UA's magic rules. That could get... creepy.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Well, that's nice. Otherwise it could have gotten... weird. Anyways, I have a character kind of shaping up in my mind.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    I'm in, but to be honest this is my first time doing a forum RP on anything so I am not sure what to expect. Only interested in doing this is because it has ponies.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Just to get these out of my head:

Personally, I peg Pinkie as being a modified dipsomancer that ran on sugar highs instead of booze. She was blowing charges like crazy to do all the fourth-wall stuff to shape other's views of reality, and occasionally whammied someone with the motor mouth. Alternatively, she probably could've been a decent avatar of the Fool.

AJ: Plutomancer all the way. She was always all about makin' the bits, but you never see her spend any. I assume she's got a Scrooge McDuck-style vault under the Apple family house where she keeps them. Never really used the charges she was raking in, though. (Although I assume she blasted the crap out of Flim & Flam when they were off camera.)

RD : She'd probably make a good avatar-in-training of the MVP, although she might have problems with not breaking the taboo.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Cool so currently we have:

Definites:
    Riokenn
    FencingSax
    Gavindel

Maybes:
    CapFalcon

Spoiling all the UA magic points:
    PMAvers

probably enough people if we get 3-5 so good turn out.

• Options
    On lunch, so no book for stats. But here's a rough draft.

Charity Huffinmouf
    Earth pony

The boonies. You haven't heard of it.
    Daughter of plantation farmers.

Good at:
    Strong and fast
    Farming
    Repairing farm equipment

Bad at:
    Talking

Big Flaw:
    Inferiority Complex (Cause its just not fair! Pegasi can fly and unicorns can break the universe, and what do earth ponies get? DIRT.)

• Options
    I'll do something similar, don't have time to Stat it

Cloudbolt Skybright
    Pegasus (What a surprise, with a name like that)

From
    Cloudsdale

Good at
    Cloud Shaping
    Geometry and such
    Chemical compositions

Bad at
    Feats of Strength

Big Flaw:
    Bucking Authority (Your parents are Wonderbolts, their parents are Wonderbolts and so on back until before Nightmare Moon! So you will be a Wonderbolt too!)

• Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    I've tried the Savage World Ponies thing and Don't Rest Your Hooves, I wouldn't mind giving this a shot as well if you're still considering additional players.

If not, reserves is good too.

• Options
    Well it depends how many people sign up and create characters, I'll certainly be both flattered and saddened if I get enough people making ponies that I have to turn one away. Considering we only have two vague character outlines and 3 people who've said definite yes you're in though mate.

• Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Put me down as pretty interested. Been a while since I played UA, but I'll be interested in seeing how this hack works out.

I'll put up a character concept soon if you're not full.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    So that's five definites. Which probably makes the core group.

• Options
    I do have to warn you guys I have never played UA

• Options
    Considering the core of UA is 'roll d100(actually 2d10, one for tens and one for units), if it's under your skill you win, if it's 01 you uber win, if it's 00 you uber lose and if it's a matched pair (two two's) you either slightly better win or lose' and Failure is Magic doesn't go into any of the more complex stuff (like I dunno, Dipsomancy) it shouldn't be overwhelming.

If you have any questions regarding character creation or game mechanics though feel free to ask and I'll explain to the best of my abilities.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    If there ends up being much more interest, it might prompt someone else into stepping up and running another game for those who get left out.

Which is nice.

Anyway, have a pony. I've got middling exposure to Unknown Armies (whatever I've picked up from conversational osmosis and flipping through the book a couple times) so it might not be perfect. Let me know if you spot any obvious mistakes.

First up that thing other people seem to be doing. For funsies.

Vigilance
    Unicorn pony

Manehattan, the big city!

Good at:
    Paying attention to details
    Being understanding towards others
    Keeping calm and focused

Bad at:
    Taking action

Big Flaw:
    Bad Dreams (Little to no sleep every night, somewhat irritable and distant because of it, won't talk about it with anypony)

And a swing at the rulebook stuff. Looks like there isn't much customization beyond choosing your type of pony (and extra skills, if you're an earth pony). If Albino Bunny agrees, I might be interested in dropping speed by 10 and raising Soul by 10 as mentioned on the Unknown Ponies pdf on page 3. Not really a big deal though, I'm equally fine sticking with default stats.

Name: Vigilance
    Type: Unicorn

Attributes
    Body: 40
    Speed: 30
    Mind: 50
    Soul: 50

- Skills -

Body
    General Athletics - 25%
    Struggle - 20%

Speed
    Dodge - 25%
    Gallop - 20%
    Unicorn Telekinesis - 20%

Mind
    Basic Education - 25%
    Notice - 30%
    Hide - 25%
    Astronomy - 20%
    Unicorn Magic - 15%

Soul
    Charm - 25%
    Lie - 25%

- Emotional Triggers -

Anger
    Being questioned about their problems
    I'm not tired. Mind your own business. Nothing's wrong with me. Leave me alone!

Fear
    Hurting someone else's feelings
    That came out wrong. I shouldn't have said that. I'm sorry. Please, I didn't mean it!

Noble
    We're all in this together
    Everything ponykind has accomplished, we've done by working together. We still have so much more to do!

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    Regarding attributes you have free reign to switch out points at a 1 for 1 basis in those as you please. Provided you can justify character wise why they have those stats it's fine.

Also to give a bit more variation to starting ponies any pony may lower their default skills to take one other personal skill at a one for one point switch. So if you want your character to be exceptionally smart but not so social you could lower charm to 15% and increase education to 35%, or even just add a 'science!' skill at 10%. Provided the skills don't go over 35% to start it should more or less be fine. Unicorns and Pegasi can do this and Earth ponies still receive their usual 50% bonus in skill points.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Neat! Edited for the aforementioned Speed -> Soul exchange. Vigilance is a bit sluggish and uncoordinated, but puts a lot of stock in how others see him, and spends a lot of time dreaming about big goals.

Also knocked a couple skills down to bump Notice up a bit, and added an Astronomy skill. Vigilance is remarkably feeble with his unicorn talents, but has ample time to study up on nighttime phenomena. Knowing when the next full moon is and what that constellation is called can be quite the conversation opener.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    Here's my character concept:

Name: Steamshine Swift
    Race: Earth Pony

Good at:
    Runnin' and Pullin'
    Mechanical doohickies
    Staying on-track (figuratively and literally)

Bad at:
    Thinkin' Big

Big Flaw:
    Indecisive (Pullin' a train is easy - you just trot forward! But there's like a million options here! How am I meant to know which is the right one?)

He constantly wears a little train conductor hat, and dreams of pulling the Flying Trotsman. Because pony puns.

Now to figure out his system stats.

• Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Well, it looks like you've got enough, so I'll sit out.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Charity Huffinmouf
    Earth pony
    Charity-Huffinmouf.png

The boonies. You haven't heard of it.
    Daughter of plantation farmers.

Good at:
    Strong and fast
    Farming
    Repairing farm equipment

Bad at:
    Talking

Big Flaw:
    A teensy bit evil.

Stats
    Body 50
    Speed 50
    Mind 40
    Soul 30

Skills
    Body: Athletics 35 Kick Tushy 35
    Speed: Dodge 25 Gallop 35 Mechanics 30 (+1)
    Mind: Horticulture and Nature 25 (+1), Notice 25, Hide 25
    Soul: Charm 15, Lie 25

Triggers:
    Anger - Inferiority Complex. Lashing out at those she perceives as flaunting their fancy magic or flight skills.
    Fear - Heights
    Noble - Helping other ponies overcome obstacles through her horticultural and mechanical background.

Creation Notes
    (Lowered soul by 10 to increase speed. Renamed general athletics to athletics. Struggle to Kick Tushy. Used 30 points of earth pony skill to create a new skill: Mechanics. Speed okay for that one? Renamed General Education horticulture and nature since she's a farm raised blank flank. Lowered charm to 15.)

gavindel on
  • Options
  • Options
    Oh are we making Fillies/Colts? I thought since we are Lunas Guards(?) we'd make adult Ponies.

• Options
    I assumed it was fillies and colts since I'm not sure if adult blank flanks are canon. That and the whole 'children of the night' thing with Luna.

• Options
    Regarding specifics of the campaign setting it's intended to occur during season 3 but prior to the finale and will entail the players playing a group of blank flanked ponies been taken on by Luna as a night time patrol of sorts to act as her own personal counterparts to the Mane 6. The first planned adventure will be dealing with the Everfree forest and the creatures with in.

If we're not, I'm confused. Not that that would be anything new.

• Options
    Honestly I want to play fillies/colts just for the imagery of Luna sending 5 kids into the Everfree Forest with just a "Have fun, kids".

• Options
    Ah I miss-read the PDF. Yeah it's Fillies/Colts.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Got a couple questions for AB:

Do we calculate the additional 10% to mind/speed/body from your race before or after adjusting our attributes? Derp. +10, not *110%. :rotate:

And are we going with earth ponies having earth pony magic, which gives them their strength/endurance/nature skills? Because the answer changes whether we can use Magic points to boost those things.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Cloudbolt Skybright
    Pegasus
    Cloudsdale
    Cloudbolt is dark blue, with orange eyes, and a yellow and sky blue mane.

Body 30
    Speed 60
    Mind 40
    Soul 40

Skills
    Body: Athletics 25 Struggle 25
    Speed: Dodge 25 Gallop 25 Flight 27 Weather Control (Cloud Sculpting) 25
    Mind: Cloud Reading 26, Notice 25, Hide 25
    Soul: Charm 25, Lie 25

Triggers:
    Anger - Fit the suit! Why can't ponies understand that some just want to work their own way in life? Ponies should be what they want to be, not what others think they should.
    Fear - Wear the Suit? At the same time, when confronted with the choice of whether Cloudbolt should be an artist or a Wonderbolt, she isn't quite sure and fills with doubt
    Noble - Art for art's sake! Cloudbolt is always tinkering with the localized weather to make it the prettiest and best it can possibly be, whether it's the best sunrays or glitteriest snowflakes. Cloudbolt will always encourage artistic expression when possible.
    I am open to suggestions, especially since right now I think my Anger and Fear triggers are awfully similar.
    Also General Education changed to Cloud Reading.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Perhaps change the Anger trigger to be when anyone is being shoehorned or coerced into a position they don't want?

Also, I think you made the same mistake with the stats that I did - you add a straight 10 to your speed, not 10% of the stat. Your speed should be 60.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    Well that would make more sense. Alright, I'll change that.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Well, I think that's my pony done.

Name: Steamshine Swift
    Race: Earth Pony

Dislikes: Choices, Giving Up, Cherries

Dreams of pulling the Flying Trotsman or the Midnight Express.

Appearance:
    G5wukrO.png

- Attributes -
    Body: 55
    Speed: 45
    Mind: 25
    Soul: 45

- Skills -
    Body
    Athletics - 30%
    Wrestle (Struggle) - 25%

Speed
    Dodge - 25%
    Choo Choo (Gallop) - 25%

Mind
    Basic Education - 26%
    Notice - 25%
    Hide - 25%

Soul
    Keep on Truckin' - 25%
    Motivate Crew - 25%
    Charm - 25%
    Lie - 15%

Summary:
    50 Earth Pony skill points spent on Keep on Truckin' and Motivate Crew at 25% each. Keep on Truckin' is about carrying on no matter the odds or circumstances - pain, fear, etc. Motivate Crew is about galvanising others into working harder or not giving up.

Ad justments made were Lie -10%, Athletics +5%, Keep on Truckin' +5% - since I don't see Steamshine as the type to avoid problems by lying.

- Emotional Triggers -
    Anger
    Giving up easily (Self or others)
    Hey! If you don't pull your weight we're all gonna fail here! Are you really going to sit there and let that happen? Well I won't let you!

Fear
    Indecision over a big choice
    Pullin' a train is easy - you just trot forward! But there's like - there's like a hundred options here! How am I meant to know which is the right one? I don't want to mess up again!

Noble
    Always as a team
    Hah, that was easy as squishing a cherry! See, I told you, didn't I? Together we can do anything!

Blurbl on
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    You're playing a bunch of kids being sent into the Everfree forest. Because Luna has no remorse and needs entertainment.

Regarding Earth pony magic I'm gonna go with no, or at least it is present in a particular skill systemically and more is represented by the bonus skills you get at the start. So you can't amplify racials as an earth pony because you don't get them.

Also regarding Noble impulses I feel it's important to note that the idea behind a noble impulse is something your character can't help but do for (what they believe) is the greater good. So FencingSax weather control might not be a good one but Skybright might always want to adjust the weather to help people constantly (usually over or under tweaking it due to changing it so often and due to her young age) to suit that given persons needs, even if each person is contradictory.

A good one for Charity could be a desire to help ponies who are at a disadvantage, or maybe to always want to spread knowledge of any technology she knows of.

When it comes to the extra 10% in attributes I don't think it matters, after all you could just take 10% off the stat after if you wanted. In general though I think it'd be fairly unique to have an earth pony not have the better body so if you're adjusting your racial stat below 50% there should be a good reason. Also FencingSax you just have 60 speed flat, considering the 10% bonus is always applied.

Right, so we're just missing sheets from Blurbl and Riokenn then we can kick things off.

EDIT: So that's just Riokenn. Though I'm not sure how keep on Truckin' would really apply in game terms without just being a catch all 'I'll use this now' skill. I guess you could use it as a paragdim skill or whatever UA calls it. Except rather than preventing sanity stuff it prevents you taking as much damage from a hit on a success (which would make it something for me to roll because you don't get to know damage).

Albino Bunny on
  • Options
    Though I'm not sure how keep on Truckin' would really apply in game terms without just being a catch all 'I'll use this now' skill. I guess you could use it as a paragdim skill or whatever UA calls it. Except rather than preventing sanity stuff it prevents you taking as much damage from a hit on a success (which would make it something for me to roll because you don't get to know damage).

I was thinking it would work as extreme stubbornness or determination in the face of fear, pain, etc. Now that I think about it, it would probably fit better under Soul than Body. But if you want me to remove it, that's fine.

• Options
    It probably fits under soul better. I'm sure it'll be fine, just grasping what it definitely means.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Thought I was editing. Whooops.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Blurbl wrote: »
    Honestly I want to play fillies/colts just for the imagery of Luna sending 5 kids into the Everfree Forest with just a "Have fun, kids".

Spoiler: You might have basically just spoilt the introduction. Just a smidge. :twisted: