As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Division] Re-industrializing Manhatten one gun at a time. Releasing March 8th 2016.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Xavier1216 wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Let's be fair. No marketer is ever going to say, "yeah, people with no friends will hate our game." They want everyone to buy it. They sell things. "Our game is TOTALLY solo friendly, but the multi is so good you'll be enticed into it!" Is marketing speak for the former.

Wow, buddy, "people with no friends"? More like some people actually have real, grown-up lives and interests and aren't going to schedule them around playing a video game with a bunch of kids. Games are a fun occasional hobby, but there's more to life than sitting on your ass and pressing buttons all day.

Sigh. He wasn't targeting you with that statement, but you were DEFINITELY targeting everyone here with that. The thing about Destiny was that if you joined a large enough group, you didn't need to schedule your times or anything, you just needed to get on. Multiple people said they could never raid because x,y,z... and then they did and loved it. Don't rage spaz and assume everyone on multiplayer doesn't have responsibilities or a life.

• Options
    skippymchaggisskippymchaggis Registered User regular
    Let's be fair. No marketer is ever going to say, "yeah, people with no friends will hate our game." They want everyone to buy it. They sell things. "Our game is TOTALLY solo friendly, but the multi is so good you'll be enticed into it!" Is marketing speak for the former.

Wow, buddy, "people with no friends"? More like some people actually have real, grown-up lives and interests and aren't going to schedule them around playing a video game with a bunch of kids. Games are a fun occasional hobby, but there's more to life than sitting on your ass and pressing buttons all day.

he's bashing marketers, not taking a shot at someone who wants to play solo.

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    I saw this on reddit and thought it was pretty cool. Someone painstakingly figured out that the map is mostly 1:1, but stitches areas together to compress it a bit.

4pn5xvw.jpg

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Sorry if you felt I implied you had no friends. I was being hyperbolic satirizing a marketer.

I, too, hate scheduling for video games. But Destiny was large enough and drop in capable enough that you could usually do most content with whatever free time you had available.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    What is pulling a Destiny? Being the most successful and well loved shooter in like two years?

If that's the metric I hope they pull a Destiny.

For me, pulling a Destiny is going "Hey, we plan to have this awesome story set in an open universe that you can tackle alone or with friends," and then giving us a couple hours of actual story content while pushing the newest content into annoying multiplayer raids and PvP. I haven't touched that game since grinding my way through the same dozen missions to get to the soft cap, and it was an incredibly disappointing experience.

The raids were really the best content in the game

Im sorry you missed out

The raids are only good if you want a multiplayer experience, which I don't enjoy. Bungie should have been more open about how much of their content required multiplayer instead of attempting to tout it as a MMO that you can play single player.

Gotta agree with @shoeboxjedi here - I'm not sure if there was any marketing that didn't portray it as a multiplayer experience. I'm also not sure if Division is going to be your thing either considering how much it seems to be a multiplayer experience as well

According to Bungie's top man, Jason Jones: "You absolutely are going to be able to play Destiny by yourself and have the same kind of fun shooter-experience that you could have in a single-player campaign, which is a word that we’ve weeded out of our vocabulary. But we’re going to give you this great player-progression on top of that, and we’re going to give you as many opportunities as we possibly can to expose you to other people, so that hopefully you’re drawn into some social experiences, because those are incredibly powerful and interesting, but we’re not going to force those on you. We describe it in a lot of ways as sloping the floor towards socialization, without putting a requirement on it."

If Bungie had instead been forthcoming that the campaign was a few hours of content that then forces you into multiplayer, I wouldn't have wasted my money on it.

I also wouldn't be as skeptical when Ubisoft says something like, "We are not deliberately punishing solo players or incentivising them by making it harder. It’s a great single-player game, period. We don’t use a stick, but rather a carrot, to get people on board with multiplayer."

The closed beta was pretty decent, since I spent the majority of my time out of the DZ and ran into very few people when I tackled DZ PvE. I'm not committed to keeping my pre-order, though, and I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for previews that highlight any issues with playing solo.

Everyone is of course entitled to play games how they want, so I don't think that is really an issue. I would like to point out however that the top part I bolded is, arguably, true. Most FPS games campaign is what? 10 hrs if you lucky? So according to their terms they did provide that. Also with the rest of the quote they talk about the loot and progression along with the social interaction being so "strong" that you will want to do it. The thing is any mmo'ish type game can generally be played solo, for either a really long time or indefinitely (depending on your particular interests) but outside of doing content when its outdated or some niche spec of a certain class there is generally always some tier of content that is behind a "multiplayer wall". Destiny did the same. Play the single player campaign, futz around with things you can do solo and gear up that way and then (outside of multiplayer in the form of the raid/nightfall, matchmade strikes and PvP) the game is done. the "single player campaign" is through. I guess the question is really a valuation of time and money. If you were to play CoD (or whatever) just for the single player campaign for $60 and then do the same with Destiny for roughly the same amount of content or more, does it mean Destiny still provided you with less value because there was more that you didn't get to do? Question isn't directed at you in particular, just a thought I had.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    If you're dead set on a solo experience, and have some kind of aversion to playing with other people, anything that could be described as 'massively multiplayer' seems like a title you would avoid like the plague. I don't understand

PSN: thewheelz
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Bubs wrote: »
    If you're dead set on a solo experience, and have some kind of aversion to playing with other people, anything that could be described as 'massively multiplayer' seems like a title you would avoid like the plague. I don't understand

While I don't know their situation on games, I've run into a lot of people who love the MMO "grind" - but hate other players being around. I think the idea of single player mmo formats appeal to folks who just want to farm loot and fill bars without the randomness that comes from other real life players.

Luckily the devs have hammered it home that this is an RPG and will offer a great single player experience. I also like the fact that while the DZ is rough for solo - it's still doable. Try getting end-level gear in WoW without a party. Impossible. With the DZ you might come across some downed gear or happen upon a bloody battle that left everyone dead with an extraction on the way. It's harder but still totally manageable to progress.

I think given the tactical nature of the game they really hit a sweet spot on the blend of PVP and PVE so that the larger demographic of players should find it enjoyable. At least from what I have played so far.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

Well that seemingly cooled off this thread a fair bit, so games are not for people with grown-up lives huh, alright then.

That puts me in quite a bind then, should I just sell my game console or my house then? What the hell is a grown-up interest supposed to be anyway... Something like building a deck or collecting stamps?

Sirialis on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    You need to keep reading because that isn't what anyone meant at all, they were mocking something from an article.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Destiny promised huge worlds to explore and all we got on launch was tiny areas separated by obvious loading sections and a whooping 5 "dungeons" to repeat ad nauseam once you were done with the small handful of single player missions they gave us. what was it.. 15 missions? something like that? Laughable.

The gameplay was still very fun, but it had an anemic amount of content.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I think if not just from experience, but from all the leaks and stories about it that we know Destiny was a total shit show at launch and during development.

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    I kind of hope the division never allows player trading.

I don't really know why.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

I don't really know why.

I think Diablo 3 has a nice balance. You can trade stuff with members the group for two hours after something drops while in the group, then it's bound to you.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

I don't really know why.

I think Diablo 3 has a nice balance. You can trade stuff with members the group for two hours after something drops while in the group, then it's bound to you.

Destiny should have had that, then I could have traded the item for Necrochasm and Vex Mythoclast within the fireteam instead of getting duplicates when some people present didnt have any.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Just in case anyone's on the fence, or didn't know about this, you can get the Gold Edition for ~$67.50 on Gamesplanet UK

https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/4599ya/just_got_the_division_gold_edition_for_6750/

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »

I don't really know why.

Destiny should have had that, then I could have traded the item for Necrochasm and Vex Mythoclast within the fireteam instead of getting duplicates when some people present didnt have any.
    Yes. Yes I agree :biggrin:

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Just in case anyone's on the fence, or didn't know about this, you can get the Gold Edition for ~$67.50 on Gamesplanet UK

https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/4599ya/just_got_the_division_gold_edition_for_6750/

Just a note for people who maybe do not know but Amazon Prime now offers a 20% discount on all preorders and new copies (within I believe 2 weeks of launch) of physical games). If you do not have Amazon Prime you can always sign up for a 30 day free trial and take advantage of it as well.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular

Well. Guess I'll be getting this on the PC.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
  • Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular

Greatly appreciated, paid and ordered.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    While I won't go so far as to say I believe the rumor, I will say that Rikers Island would make for a pretty obvious raid location.

edit- Hell, the UN building (fighting the LMB) wouldn't surprise me as a raid location either.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    MarthMarth Registered User regular
    I may have missed it, but is anyone else doing the open beta on PS4? I only have time for that Friday and Sunday, but everything I've seen for this game has been appealing to me.

Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    While I won't go so far as to say I believe the rumor, I will say that Rikers Island would make for a pretty obvious raid location.

edit- Hell, the UN building (fighting the LMB) wouldn't surprise me as a raid location either.

I feel like we've reached peak absurdity by talking about UN headquarters being a raid location in a video game, and I love it.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    So is the game actually solo friendly, or is it really meant to be played in parties?

Nothing is clear.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    It does both. I solo'd a good part of alpha and beta.

• Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    I ran solo in the PVE parts and in the Dark Zone quite a bit when it was off hours of the beta and people weren't on and had a blast.

Though in my experience the fun multiplied exponentially the more people you had in your group.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    So is the game actually solo friendly, or is it really meant to be played in parties?

Nothing is clear.

I'd put forth a bet that it ends up being like most mmo'ish rpg games in that you can solo to cap. At that point you can probably do some of the end game content no problem, some of it with difficulty and some of it not at all.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    If they have a decent lfg system, then I don't mind group content.

Doing PVE dungeons in a random group, or even instanced PVP usually works fine with a bunch of random people.

My biggest concern is how much content their going to put in the "Dark Zone", because random grouping won't work there.

Everything they've said about how they set up the DZ makes me think they don't understand how people play these types of games/areas.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    The matchmaking is pretty seamless and easy to use, and yes, there is actually the ability to group up with randoms in the DZ, you do it in the checkpoints.

Also, walking up to someone and inviting to the group is really easy too.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Nothing is clear.

From the beta you could solo in the PVE areas no issue, Dark zone you can do it, but its nerve wracking. Like trying to PVE quest on an open world pvp server in an MMO, you think this rando who walked up isn't a dick, but you don't know.

Its like everyone has a neckbeard and some of them might just be hill billys, or some of them might actually be neckbeards.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Call me crazy but I hope division uses rarity designations less as end game gear and more as best in level class gear.

I like the idea of thre being purple level 8 gear. Maybe even yellows. Getting a yellow drop from a dz chest and freaking out to extract it would be fun no matter what level you are. Sure replacing your yellows with higher level blues is weird but I think that makes for an interesting time.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    That's how it works though?

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I'm not certain it is, but it should be; that's a really fun idea.

In the beta, purple gear came at level eight pretty much exclusively.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Yeah the beta doesn't tell us much because although purple and yellow was available at level 8... 8 was the max. If follows destiny then color is less rarity and more level tier. I don't have much experience with other mmos so I don't know what the standard is.

I think Diablo let you get lower level but better quality/rare gear but I'm not 100% sure. Either way, that's one I'm hoping for.

In my ideal world each level bracket would be spent in the pve zone getting greens and blues then cap off on the dz getting purples and yellows.

So dz would be less end game and more best gear available for that level bracket.

So its like level 1-5 in pve.6-7 in the 1-7 dz. 8-12 in pve, 13-14 in the 8-14 dz and repeat. Of course skipping the dz would be an option but you wouldn't have as good of gear for your level.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I initially plan on doing some lowbie dz stuff to at least get a sense of how shit is there. But at the same time, you won't have all your tools for killing enemies and players, and you won't be leveling at the same time.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The main difference in rarity for weapons is what talents they give you, the damage difference isn't too much, so I don't see why there wouldn't be lower leveled purples. Oranges give you two talents, so that might not show up in the lower levels.

• Options
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Yeah the beta doesn't tell us much because although purple and yellow was available at level 8... 8 was the max. If follows destiny then color is less rarity and more level tier. I don't have much experience with other mmos so I don't know what the standard is.

I think Diablo let you get lower level but better quality/rare gear but I'm not 100% sure. Either way, that's one I'm hoping for.

In my ideal world each level bracket would be spent in the pve zone getting greens and blues then cap off on the dz getting purples and yellows.

So dz would be less end game and more best gear available for that level bracket.

So its like level 1-5 in pve.6-7 in the 1-7 dz. 8-12 in pve, 13-14 in the 8-14 dz and repeat. Of course skipping the dz would be an option but you wouldn't have as good of gear for your level.

Generally in mmo's you have the entire color spectrum available at most levels but it is far far more rare to see certain higher rarities at lower levels where as they become kind of base level standard at higher levels. For instance at level 20 a purple might be a super rare world drop whereas at level 60 (or whatever) it is the standard issue item from raiding that everyone participating at high level will have.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Someone has some interesting ideas with regards to theorycrafting and the 3 stats in-game. https://reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/45rdea/youd_need_to_have_a_weapon_with_3000_base_damage/ It looks like Stamina has a much larger return on investment at mid-lower levels than the other stats.

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Marth wrote: »
    I may have missed it, but is anyone else doing the open beta on PS4? I only have time for that Friday and Sunday, but everything I've seen for this game has been appealing to me.

I'll be checking it out and hopefully some of the Destiny folk will be checking it out as well

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Do we really need raids in this game?

I mean, when I think of raids I think of multi hours long quest to topple a scion or god or something.

What exactly are we going to be raiding against in The Division? A tank?

This discussion has been closed.