As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Roll for Shoes] Welcome to Mystery Mansion!

• Options
    OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    "Hungry arachnids, clack-clack!" pipes up Bill Nye, ever so helpfully, while the boys debate.

---
    @jdarksun Mia is up to close the round, or pass.

Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Mia furiously tries to remember exactly how the priests at church get the attention of God. This isn't the same thing, because lions aren't gods duh, but it's religious iconography and she has to try something.
    ---
    Can I buy something like "Religious Ritual" at 4d6?
    Minion, roll 4d6 for this is totally the right way to prepare an offering

this is totally the right way to prepare an offering:
    4d6 14 [4d6=1, 6, 1, 6]

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Basement | Ground Floor | Second Floor

The Characters So Far
    jdarksun as Mia Ashley Levy
    "There's a scientific explanation for everything."
    Loot: 6 (Ugly Veggie-Patch Knockoff Doll, Retro Hand Mixer, Samurai Helmet, Heartbreaker Locket, Best Sword Ever, Devil's Toenail)
    XP: 4
    Skills:
    (1) Try Something New
    -(2) Nancy Drew
    --(3) Trusty Magnifying Glass
    ---(4) Nosy Nancy
    ----(5) Stolidly Steadfast Snooper
    ---(4) Inscrutable Attention to Detail
    ----(5) Improbably Perceptive Psychometry
    -(2) Joan of Arc
    --(3) Channeled Divinity
    ---(4) Religious Ritual
    --(3) Swordswoman
    ---(4) Puissant Pounce
    ----(5) CUT MORE BETTER
    - ---(6) Vorpal Blade
    ---(4) Parry
    ----(5) Parry Natural Attack
    Other Gear: Orion Disc
    Special:
    - Heartbreaker Locket gives +1 on detecting evil/looking for trouble
    - Best Sword Ever gives +1 to cutting things. Don't bore the Sword. Don't miss too much. Don't disappoint the Sword! Be the BEST!
    - Devil's Toenail turns a loss into a success, but corrupts a piece of Loot commensurate with the difference between the original roll and the new roll.
    Level 6 Skill
    Vorpal Blade
    When attempting to remove an enemy's limb, Mia succeeds if she rolls more Sixes than the opponent: Over by 1 = Lose a limb, Over by 2 = Decapitation!

premium as Davey “Juke” Williams
    "I never turn down a dare!"
    Loot: 5 (Shaman Mask, Rune-carved Plumb Bob, Soulstone, Eye of Tiger, Bloody Bandolier)
    XP: 12
    Skills:
    (1) Try Something New
    -(2) Pretty Ghostly
    --(3) Ghost Senses
    ---(4) Spirit Sight
    --(3) Ghostly Haunting
    ---(4) Poltergism
    ----(5) Animate Furniture
    - ---(6) Furniture Familiar (see below), Current Familiar is Chauncey Oakencruft (Big Desk)
    ----(5) Ghastly Gravitational Pull
    ----(5) Rapid Fire Projectiles
    --(3) Incorporeal
    ---(4) Vanishing Act
    --(3) SpoOoky Ghost Hands
    ---(4) Invasive Ghost Hands
    ----(5) Spectral Shocking Invasive Ghost Hands
    - ---(6) Shockingly Shocking Defense
    Other Gear: Constance's Hairbrush, Strange Key with Note ( "J'ouvre le lac qui n'est pas.")
    Special:
    - Plumb Bob gives a +1 on rolls to find trouble.
    - Soulstone (4 Charges). Gain 1 charge per enemy Davey helps defeat. Spend 1 charge to weaken enemy for 1 turn (-1 die).
    - Eye of Tiger. Resolves ties more gloriously. Just remember, "gloriously" is how a lot of heroes die.
    Level 6 Skill
    Furniture Familiar
    Roll to give furniture personality! Only one Furniture Familiar can be active at a time. Difficulty of animation and power level of familiar vary by object. Each Familiar needs a name, for posterity. Deactivated familiars can be reactivated without a roll, provided they are still physically intact. Here are some examples:
    1) Hat Rack, Floor Lamp: gives +1 to Davey's attacks a selected enemy each combat; minor handy ability (like shedding light)
    2) Footstool, Small Table, Chair: imposes a -1 to a selected enemy's defense each combat; sacrifice to impose a 1-die penalty on the enemy
    3) Bookshelf, Chiffarobe: very useful ability (like big bonus to knowing things, or producing useful objects); sacrifice to negate 1 hit on Davey
    4) Big Desk, Large Table: good in a fight, gets its own action to attack target of Davey's choice; sacrifice to stun an enemy for 1 round (it can only defend)
    5) Formal Dining Room Table: hard to maneuver, but formidable bodyguard

Iron Weasel as Wendall "Wex" Cartright
    "Ready for candy and adventure!"
    Loot: 6 (Infernal Eyepiece, Silver Cigar Cutter, Prism of Displacement, Titan Glue, Brass Asp, Eye of Buggamoto)
    XP: 3
    Skills:
    (1) Try Something New
    -(2) Search
    -(2) MAGIC!
    --(3) A Wizard Does Not Walk
    ---(4) Blink and You'll Miss Me
    ----(5) Astral Projection
    - ---(6) Magical Musical Interlude
    ---(4) Knock, Knock
    --(3) Divination
    ---(4) Identify
    ----(5) Detect Danger
    ---(4) Monstronomy
    --(3) Dovahkiin
    ---(4) Dragonshouts
    ----(5) Fire Breath
    --(3) Elementalism
    ---(4) Earthenism
    ----(5) Scion of Bumi
    --(3) Enchanting
    --(3) Summoning
    ---(4) A Wizard Makes Do
    ---(4) Habeas Corporeal
    --(3) Transmutation
    Other Gear: Fabulous Staff, Spooky Note, Scrapulon (flotsam golem), Brass Summoning Hoop of Darkness
    Special
    - Infernal Eyepiece gives +1 to Divination checks involving dark magic
    - Silver Cigar Cutter gives Scrapulon silver-slashing damage
    - Prism of Displacement gives +1 to Teleportation magic
    - Titan Glue lets Wex bind things together, even intangible or conceptual stuff (4 uses)
    - Brass Asp: Ask the Asp a question. It will answer, but not always truthfully. When you ask the Asp, roll 2-5 dice (more dice = more detail in the answer). The GM will roll one die less than you. If you succeed, you get an honest answer. If you fail, the Asp tells you a whopper. On a tie, it may or may not be true.
    - Eye of Buggamoto: Reveals the way to one's goal.
    - Summoning/Banishing for the Discerning Dining Room Afficionado (only works in dining rooms; bonus if used in Family Dining Room)
    Level 6 Skill
    Magical Musical Interlude
    Transport your mind (or someone else's) to another place with the power of song! If Wex sings appropriate lyrics, he can put himself or someone else in a temporary space consistent with the chosen the song. Beat the opposing roll by 5 or more, and the target will receive an appropriate ongoing bonus or penalty (depending on whether used defensively or offensively) for the encounter. Just don't overuse any one song. Nobody likes overplayed music, am I right?

TheRoadVirus as Prince Ellingston Hallstings Dingingworth, III
    "Jeeves said nothing of danger!"
    Loot: 5 (Game Boy, Chaos Egg, Badass Bullwhip, Holy Silver Leg Ball-Spurs, Original Cornballer)
    XP: 7
    Skills:
    (1) Try Something New
    -(2) Charismatic Billionaire
    -(2) SILENCE THE VOICES
    --(3) Frightening Visage
    ---(4) Piercing Howl
    ----(5) 56k Counterspell
    -(2) Spider-Mandroid
    --(3) Enhanced Titanium Carapace
    ---(4) Anti-grav Enabler Attachment
    ----(5) Troop Transport Upgrade
    ----(5) Turbo Dodge Upgrade
    ---(4) Unnatural Strength
    ----(5) Crushing Leap (of fire!)
    - ----(6) Severing Fireslice
    ---(4) Webbing Blast
    -(2) Supercomputronic Crystal-Core Processor
    --(3) Science Vision
    ---(4) Exploratory Upgrade: Semi-automap
    --(3) Summon Broodroids
    ---(4) Defendroids Mk XIV
    ---(4) Nanoparticle Research Attachments
    Other Gear: Writing Kit, Sinister Fountain Pen, Red Orby Thing
    Special:
    - Chaos Egg grants limited respec when eaten.
    - Badass Bullwhip gives +1 to whippy things (immobilizing enemies, swinging across gaps, etc.)
    - Holy Silver Leg Ball-Spurs do extra hurt to things vulnerable to silver and/or holy stuff.
    - Original Cornballer gains 1 charge when Ellie loses Loot. Spend 1 charge to upgrade damage dealt.
    - Unwelcome Passenger sometimes interferes with Ellie's actions.

OminousLozenge on
  • Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Mia furiously tries to remember exactly how the priests at church get the attention of God. This isn't the same thing, because lions aren't gods duh, but it's religious iconography and she has to try something.
    ---
    Can I buy something like "Religious Ritual" at 4d6?
    Minion, roll 4d6 for this is totally the right way to prepare an offering

---
    Yeah, that works well off of your previous Channeled Divinity roll. And you got 2 sixes on that roll, so the Religious Ritual thingy only costs you 1 xp!

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Mia does some super religious stuff at the ceiling's direction. Her "try everything I've seen in a church ever" approach eventually hits on a combination of rote words and gestures that does... something?

The ceiling rumbles, and a fine mist of plaster drifts down. The plaster thickens to a fog, then a choking cloud, and outside(?) a thunderclap suddenly shakes the whole world.

*Thud*

ROOOOAAR!

The plaster dust settles, and in the center of the ballroom, a gigantic lion shakes the plaster from his radiant mane and glares at the children. There's a hungry, malevolent glint in the lion's eyes...

---
    NEW ROUND, Y'ALL!
    ---
    Geth, roll 3d6 for Animatum Leonidum Heresium

Animatum Leonidum Heresium:
    3d6 10 [3d6=6, 1, 3]

OminousLozenge on
  • Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Davey

"I really hope this doesn't kill that lion because I so want to ride that thing around." Davey says as he poltershoots his scorpion at the lion's mouth.

Geth roll 4d6 for poltershoot is totally a word

polstershoot is totally a word:
    4d6 15 [4d6=4, 3, 5, 3]

premium on
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    "You have awesome hair, lion! I am a robot!"

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Davey times it pretty well and poltershoots the lion right in the mouth. The beast lets out a decidedly undignified "hurk!" sound as he chokes down the amber-covered scorpion. Then he burps. Then his belly distends a little. Then a lot.

And just when things seem to have calmed down and the poor lion's stomach begins to deflate, he explodes in a wet squelch of leonine ... parts. Standing in the center of the mess, at ground zero as it were, stands a giant scorpion clacking its claws and waving its tail around menacingly.

Alas, yet another creature Davey is denied an opportunity to ride.

"IT BEGINS! THE END! END IT TO START THE FINAL COUNT! One, two, horses are glue!" Bill Nye seems to be losing coherency, if that's even possible.
    ---
    OOC: Davey loses the scorpion-in-amber!
    ---
    Geth, roll 3d6 for Poltershotten

Poltershotten:
    3d6 12 [3d6=3, 6, 3]

OminousLozenge on
  • Options
    "Guys I don't think that improved the situation much"

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    "If we kill the scorpion, I can loot its tail and become SUPER ELLIE! Soletskillhimokyeahdoitdoitdoit"

• Options
  • Options
    "Sure, let's throw that at it too"

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    "Look, Magic is less a matter of Right or Wrong, and more a spectrum of misunderstanding and failure."

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    Ellie uses SCIENCE VISION to poke around this beast for some weaknesses.
    From afar.
    Because it is a scorpion.
    No thanks.

Geth, roll 3d6

3d6 14 [3d6=6, 4, 4]

• Options
    "Spectrum of failure? You had me summon a kitty only to make a gross bug burst out of it!"

• Options
    "Technically, Davey made it explode. It was his scorpion! "

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    "Is someone going to cut it's tail off so I can ride it or what?"

premium on
  • Options
    "Well I want the tail... so, team up?"

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Ellie learns that the scorpion is weakest inside its exoskeleton. The broodroids' scans don't return anything else of value, unless Ellie wants to print out several pages of Wingdings. There must be something not-of-this-reality about the monster, which probably didn't take a genius to figure out, either.

---
    Geth, roll 3d6 for Arachnalysis

Arachnalysis:
    3d6 14 [3d6=2, 6, 6]

OminousLozenge on
  • Options
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    "Talking isn't making this thing any less dangerous," Wex says, rolling up his sleeve and clearing his throat. "I hear they eat scorpions in some places. Let's see what all the fuss is about!" The young wizard coughs a gout of flame at the beast!

Geth, roll 5d6 for Bugbecue

Bugbecue:
    5d6 18 [5d6=5, 1, 6, 5, 1]

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Wex magically fills the room with the aroma of burnt lion bits and scorpion cracklings. And a lot of fire, but mainly that horrific stench. The scorpion is still standing, but its carapace shows definite signs of heat fracture.

"Blood, blood! Unlock the cracks, release the kraken!" Bill Nye veritably shrieks into Ellie's ear.

---
    Geth, roll 4d6 for Crispy Carapace

Crispy Carapace:
    4d6 10 [4d6=4, 1, 3, 2]

OminousLozenge on
  • Options
    "Somebody do something!"

(@jdarksun, @TheRoadVirus‌, @premium‌)

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    (Jeez I'm sorry! So much going on these days. I am stretching myself thin)
    "Dude! Shut up! There's no kraken! That's. A. SCORPION.
    I thought you were smarter than this, Bill Nye."

Ellie decides to try and disarm the stingery bad dude with a slice!
    Geth, roll 5d6 for Fire leap - Add one if he is considered 'evil'

Fire leap - Add one if he is considered 'evil':
    5d6 18 [5d6=2, 6, 2, 2, 6]

• Options
    Spend 3xp for severing fireslice

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Ellie leaps at the giant scorpion's tail, scissoring his scythelike legs. As Ellie flies past, he neatly severs the large stinger and venom sac. It lands with a wet thump while Ellie brakes to an aerobatic halt.

Scorpion blood drips from the wound, which was partly cauterized by Ellie's fiery legs. Where the fluid hits the marble floor, stone sizzles and dissolves.

This monster has definitely seen better days, but it still has its claws. It waves them slowly, not much fight left.
    ---
    Geth, roll 4d6 for Snip the tip?

Snip the tip?:
    4d6 12 [4d6=1, 3, 2, 6]

OminousLozenge on
  • Options
    "Dibs on the stinger! I wonder if I could... assimilate it?

• Options
    Mia draws The Sword, attempting to fix the problem.

---
    Minion, roll 6d6 for it slices, it dices

it slices, it dices:
    6d6 20 [6d6=6, 4, 2, 2, 5, 1]

• Options
    edited May 2014
    "Giles and gimble on that, sucka!" Mia's sword shouts triumphantly. Both of the scorpion's claws fall to the ground, and this time there's a much more satisfying gout of blood - well two, actually.

Scorpion blood spreads rapidly across the floor, dissolving the marble and filling the room with an acrid stench inthe process. The exposed subfloor turns out to be a gigantic summoning circle, complete with all manner of weird runes glowing with a sickly green-yellow light!

The tearing sound in the basement that everybody was teleported away from comes back with a vengeance, and now it's accompanied by a visible rip in the fabric of reality directly over the center of the ritual circle...
    ---
    Davey's up to close out the round.
    ---
    Geth, roll 3d6 for Finishing Move

Finishing Move:
    3d6 7 [3d6=2, 1, 4]

OminousLozenge on
  • Options
    “Good news, everyone! I’m pretty sure we’ve completed most of the ritual I found on that Spooky Note back in the garage: the Scorpion has devoured the Lion (sort of), we crushed the water-bearer with a red Moon, and the Belted hero has been belted with a ladle.

All we need to do now is consume the world in flame and the Great Evil will be released – MWAHAHAHAHA!

Wait, what?”

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Davey

"Guys I'm really starting to think maybe we're not doing this right." Davey says, as he tries to get a good look at the summoning circle with his spirit vision.

Geth roll 4d6 for spirit vision

spirit vision:
    4d6 18 [4d6=6, 5, 6, 1]

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Davey looks at the summoning circle with his ghostly eyes, and on the other side he sees the tuxedoed demonic monstrosity from the basement laboratory. He's cackling gleefully as he peels back layers of some barrier, like a giant existential onion skin. As he peels, the rift in reality widens over the summoning circle. The runes glow more brightly by the second, and the demon hums merrily to himself. It's nearly through, just a few layers of thin ephemera between the physical world and this terrible monstrosity.

Meanwhile, Bill Nye disentangles himself from Ellie to caper around the edge of the summoning circle. "Come along! Come to me! I'm so close, I'm almost free!"
    ---
    Geth, roll 3d6 for Spirit schmirit

Spirit schmirit:
    3d6 12 [3d6=5, 3, 4]

OminousLozenge on
  • Options
    "Waaaaait. I don't think he was helping us at all!"

• Options
    "So I think we might need a new plan or something because there's a nasty looking demon about to come through that rift and he is so overdressed."

• Options
    ---
    Oh! New Round! People, feel free to act on Davey's ominous revelation. Or practice origami tributes for your new infernal overlords.

• Options
    "Is this the sort of thing that requires offense or defense? Should we be building barricade, getting set for a charge?"

• Options
    Wex shrugs helplessly. “There’s no wiki for this, alright? I’m pretty much making it up as I go!”

He rummages in his pocket for the Eye of Buggamoto. “What do we do next?” he wonders.

Geth, roll 3d6+1 for Divining a Strategy Guide.

Divining a Strategy Guide:
    3d6+1 13 [3d6=3, 3, 6]

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    "Broodroids! Put that scorpion tail on me! I want it operational ten minutes ago!
    Hup hup hup!"

Geth, roll 4d6

4d6 10 [4d6=3, 2, 3, 2]

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Wex asks the Eye for some guidance, and suddenly two glowing trails light up around him. A red dotted line ending at an image crossed swords goes to the widening rift, and another path in yellow with a weepy sad face leads through the doors that head toward the front of the mansion. Fight or flight, it seems.

Ellie's broodroids briefly consider adding the stinger to Ellie's forehead, but he gets wise and instructs them to put it in a more tail-appropriate location. They fuse the monster part to his cyberachnidian carapace. It will require some field testing to know if the stinger is combat-ready, but it's on and in the right place, so that's something!

---
    Geth, roll 2d6 for Something in your Eye
    Geth, roll 3d6 for lol u nvr sed whr 2 put it

Something in your Eye:
    2d6 10 [2d6=6, 4]
    lol u nvr sed whr 2 put it:
    3d6 6 [3d6=4, 1, 1]

OminousLozenge on
  • Options
    "Ok, so we stand and die like heroes or flee like babies," Wex says, watching for his friends' reaction and inching ever so slightly closer to the doors.

"Oh, and if we run away, everyone everywhere will die in fire. Including us. So there's that."

Currently Playing: