Yay, more babby! [Kids]

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Gilbert0 wrote: »

It's still so much an issue for our 13 month old, sleeping on a slight incline seems to help and the doctor has even recommended us to use Gaviscon as needed. We haven't used it much but when he does, it seems to help.

Sleeping on an incline is like magic. It eased Freddie's colic and now it's helping him breathe whilst he's still a bit bunged up. All my wife did was fold a towel up and put it under the mattress.

He went from barely able to breathe laid down to snoring away happily.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I recommend the Fisher Price Rock n Play Sleeper or whatever they're calling it these days. It's cheap, portable and was the only place I could get my kid to sleep comfortably until he was about nine months old.

• GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Thanks all around for the kind words and advice. The night was pretty good again so at least we got some much needed rest.

And of course now he's back home after 4 nights at his grandma's with his mum he's screaming himself sick when put down to bed. Last time this happened it was just a bit of milk-sick from his bedtime bottle, but last night it was the entire contents of his stomach, necessitating another bath, a shower for me, and another bottle to make sure he wasn't sleeping on an empty stomach.

Trying to convince him that he's not going to get to go to sleep on his Grandma in front of the tv every night is not going well.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Ugh.

Anyone have some suggestions for diaper pails that are pet proof?

Or anyone want a dog that's kinda smelly right now?

• ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Is the diaper dekor pet proof?

I have a greyhound who hates his OWN poop, and is not very trash happy, so maybe I"m just lucky.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Ugh.

I saw one the other week that has the bag as one long continuous tube of plastic bag material from a dispesner that automatically feeds it out when you open the lid, and when you close the lid it heat seals the tube shut so every dirty nappy is in its own little sealed pouch in the bag chain thing.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Ugh.

I just have a trash can with a little dome shaped push lid. Works like a charm!

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I realized yesterday that while my son is excellent at expressing his emotions using his facial expressions, they do not match up. It is very weird to see someone wince when experiencing something they enjoy. I assume he is picking up the expressions from his fellow daycare goers but without learning the proper usage first. Also we got a pool and he will know how to swim by the end of the summer I hope. We are going to get him lessons and he loves being in there so it should not be a problem to convince him to learn.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Today my daughter got mad at her mom and told her a monster was going to "make her into pieces" and then cook her into an apple pie

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    premium wrote: »
    Today my daughter got mad at her mom and told her a monster was going to "make her into pieces" and then cook her into an apple pie

this shit is so funny

dN0T6ur.png
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited May 2014

about two months ago I woke up my three year old son because it was time to get him dressed for daycare.

He gave me a look of death and said "I hate your life"

which I thought was pretty intelligent of him. I was the one waking him up after all.

Joke is on him though! Now he goes to bed a half hour earlier and wakes up a million times better!

Xaquin on
    Well, night 3 of screaming himself sick. We went to IKEA last night and picked up a comfy chair to put in his room. Now his routine will be bath, bottle, cuddle and bed but staying in his room and not coming downstairs. Hopefully that'll make his room a bit of a nicer place to be, rather than just the place he sleeps.

Babies are hard.

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    got the "baby shower" tomorrow

we have made it eminently clear that the only 'showering' involved will be related to a lingering low pressure system off the coast, and that what's going down is a barbecue with male and female friends to catch up before day dot. no gifts, please, god, we have no space.

... i don't like our chances.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    The amount of stuff associated with babies is crazy.

It's a little late now, but for friends that insist on buying something, clothes are good. Especially asking for bigger sizes since everyone wants to buy newborn stuff.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Ask for iou's that pay off with free babysitting time on a later date of your choice.

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular

...is her mother made of apples?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »

...is her mother made of apples?

Well, her mother's maiden name is Smith, so...

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    A few nights ago my wife was telling my son that he needed to clean his room (which is very true). He asked if she was going to clean her room too...he then paused for dramatic effect, smirked, and said "You, know, your room...the kitchen". She turned to me and said "that comes from you" - but I was too busy completely losing my shit to respond.

Does anyone with older kids have opinions on when it's ok for them to start staying at home short stints by themselves? Luke gets himself on the bus in the morning - about 30 minutes after we leave - but he really wants to stay by himself after school next year for about 1.5 hours a day. We're in a safe neighborhood and in a duplex with a neighbor who is generally home all day and he has a cell phone so we're thinking about letting him try it.

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    So I had the scare of my life last night. My 1 year old was just playing in the living room, and she likes to tear dvds off the shelf in to the floor. Well, I didn't realize she was using her little teeth on one of them and managed to bite a little chunk of the clear plastic wrap that goes around the cover of the dvd. She got it stuck on the back of her tongue and it started gagging her, which of course made my wife and me panic and jump into action. Then came a short stint of her screaming and gagging while I swept out her mouth to try to get it out, and I made her gag and throw up doing it. I didn't get it the first time so had to go back in and while I felt I kept my cool as well as I could to try to just get it out of her mouth, I was in a full blown panic at the same time just fighting to make sure I was doing what I could to help.

By far the most scared I've ever been in my life. No more playing with DVDs for the little biter. This is not going to help with my general anxiety issues.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'd get used to it. Kids go through phases where they seem determined to kill themselves with anything and everything, in strict defiance of the laws of God and man.

You look at them playing with something, think "oh that's pretty innocent," look away for a second, and then when you look back it's all "what?! no that doesn't go there, how did you even do that, holy shit kid."

edited May 2014
    As soon as I saw her gagging on something in her mouth all I could think was I was about to watch my little girl choke to death in front of me. I'm horrified now just thinking about it.

Joshmvii on
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, but you totally saved the day though. Be proud and happy for that!

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Does anyone with older kids have opinions on when it's ok for them to start staying at home short stints by themselves? Luke gets himself on the bus in the morning - about 30 minutes after we leave - but he really wants to stay by himself after school next year for about 1.5 hours a day. We're in a safe neighborhood and in a duplex with a neighbor who is generally home all day and he has a cell phone so we're thinking about letting him try it.
    When I was growing up, the law was 12 years old (no idea if it was specific for my state), but my parents left me and my brother home alone much earlier than that.
    Honestly, the problem is not the trouble he'd get into at home, but the trouble he'd get into before he went home. Maybe he'd stop by a friend's house first. When I was in elementary school, a group of us broke into a vacant houseto hang out in before and after school. .. Not that your son would do anything like that. But I would try to see if there were a way to make sure he was at home.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    When I was growing up, the law was 12 years old (no idea if it was specific for my state), but my parents left me and my brother home alone much earlier than that.
    Honestly, the problem is not the trouble he'd get into at home, but the trouble he'd get into before he went home. Maybe he'd stop by a friend's house first. When I was in elementary school, a group of us broke into a vacant houseto hang out in before and after school. .. Not that your son would do anything like that. But I would try to see if there were a way to make sure he was at home.

He actually has a cell phone so he can text when he gets home and the bus comes to our driveway so he doesn't have a huge chance to stray. He'll be 10 and I was thinking 5th grade was about when I was starting to not need a sitter for every little time in the house too. I'm actually glad we kept our 3rd phone line we didn't need and gave it to him...it's been handy.

As a side note - a 9 year old with a cell phone can be a riot - he spent one day during a vacation texting me pictures of all the pokemon he was catching that day.

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    It's a little late now, but for friends that insist on buying something, clothes are good. Especially asking for bigger sizes since everyone wants to buy newborn stuff.

Yeah, for their first couple of years, relatives got our kids mainly clothing, and fewer toys, which as far as parents are concerned is a much better idea. We have a few bits of super-tiny newborn stuff saved for sentimental reasons, but those really didn't last very long before becoming too small.

(nowadays we've lucked out -- our bigger kid is small for his age, so he's been getting a lot of passed-on stuff from friends/cousins/etc, and we haven't really needed to buy him any clothes other than socks and underwear for a year or two. It's still nice to have him wear things that we chose rather than other people, but having big bags of leftover clothes show up every so often is a definite bonus)

• testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »

we have made it eminently clear that the only 'showering' involved will be related to a lingering low pressure system off the coast, and that what's going down is a barbecue with male and female friends to catch up before day dot. no gifts, please, god, we have no space.

Unlike adult gatherings, saying "no gifts" for any occasions involving young children is futile. The gifts will arrive anyway. The best you can hope for is to steer people toward smaller or more useful objects.
    Possibly every single child-related gathering I've attended since becoming a dad has had the "no gifts" proviso, and every single one of them ended with a table full of presents. You'd be better off asking the sun not to shine. There are deep-seated cultural norms at work here that can't be shaken off.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
    What would happen if you asked for "all the gifts" instead? Does reverse psychology work here? :)

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »

Unlike adult gatherings, saying "no gifts" for any occasions involving young children is futile. The gifts will arrive anyway. The best you can hope for is to steer people toward smaller or more useful objects.
    Possibly every single child-related gathering I've attended since becoming a dad has had the "no gifts" proviso, and every single one of them ended with a table full of presents. You'd be better off asking the sun not to shine. There are deep-seated cultural norms at work here that can't be shaken off.

"If you bring a gift I will burn it in front of you.

No. Gifts."

I'd never tell people not to buy my little girl gifts. We just came home with far too many toys from her 1st birthday. But I understand that friends and family just want to do something for her, and for them, seeing a picture of her in an outfit they bought is a special thing, or they get some joy out of seeing her play with a toy they bought for her. I can always donate the stuff to charity later and hopefully it brings another kid some additional joy.

• RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    A few nights ago my wife was telling my son that he needed to clean his room (which is very true). He asked if she was going to clean her room too...he then paused for dramatic effect, smirked, and said "You, know, your room...the kitchen". She turned to me and said "that comes from you" - but I was too busy completely losing my shit to respond.

I don't have kids so I can't give you advice from that angle but when I was 10 and my sister was 11, my parents let us stay home alone after school since the school was right across the street. I think since it was the two of us, my parents felt confident enough to leave us to our own devices but as long as you think he's responsible enough, you could do a trial run.

Rayze on
  • MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I was babysitting my little sisters when I was eight. Probably not the best age for that, though.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Everything is made out of atoms. And you can make toys out of everything.

except for body parts

like eyeballs

I tried to tell him about knucklebones and pig-bladder balls but I'm not sure he was convinced.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I was home after school by myself around ten or eleven. Which meant I was home with my brother, who was 6 or 7 round about. And that stayed that way until I went away to Uni.

• CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    Staying home really depends on the individual kid. I was home alone every day after school starting in third grade, and I was fine. I mean, I got into all kinds of trouble and started fires on a few occasions, but I never literally burned the place down.

My daughter is finishing up fourth grade, and I would never leave her alone. Not because of her age, but I just don't think she could handle it. She gets nervous being alone in the living room when I'm in my bedroom, so I kind of doubt empty house would work for her.

My son is five, and he asks to stay home alone. Trying to hurry him up to go to the store or whatever, he'll get all exasperated and tell me to just go, that he'll be fine until I get back. :D

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
    I was fine. I mean, I got into all kinds of trouble and started fires on a few occasions, but I never literally burned the place down.
    I got into all kinds of trouble and started fires on a few occasions
    started fires on a few occasions

:|

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Look, turning a can of WD-40 with the straw attachment into a flamethrower with the help of a grill lighter to melt action figures is too tempting to resist whether my parents are home or not - 9 yr old me

3basnids3lf9.jpg

I'm not saying I didn't also play with fire, but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement of leaving kids alone.

I still worry about leaving my kid alone in another room for more than a minute or two at a time. Nothing like a weird loud noise when you're not nearby to get the ol' adrenaline pumping.

• premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    I'm not saying I didn't also play with fire, but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement of leaving kids alone.

I still worry about leaving my kid alone in another room for more than a minute or two at a time. Nothing like a weird loud noise when you're not nearby to get the ol' adrenaline pumping.

Loud noises mean everything is probably OK. It's when they get quiet that you really need to worry.

Truer words never spoken. Silence is the worst, especially if they're eating, because that must mean they're choking and they're turning blue and they're going to die oh my god call 911 wait no he's fine, he's just staring at the TV with a half-chewed piece of sausage tucked in his cheek.

This discussion has been closed.