As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Snap into a [Superhero Movie]!

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    What I want is a Spider-Man who's that powerful, that casually capable of fighting crime or supervillains or whatever

And then you stick him in a book that's almost exclusively about Peter Parker's personal life. Like, oh no, the Rhino showed up, but that's only concerning because he's going to be late for his dinner date with Aunt May!!!

This would be interesting, you'd just have to figure out how to handle him being conflicted.

Because no matter how strong a hero is we like to seem them struggle.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Are Japanese hero movies ok for this thread?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs5UmABELKQ

that's pretty damn cool

watchin that

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    What I want is a Spider-Man who's that powerful, that casually capable of fighting crime or supervillains or whatever

And then you stick him in a book that's almost exclusively about Peter Parker's personal life. Like, oh no, the Rhino showed up, but that's only concerning because he's going to be late for his dinner date with Aunt May!!!

This would be interesting, you'd just have to figure out how to handle him being conflicted.

Traditionally, yes, but I don't think it is mandatory at all

and even if you do consider it mandatory, philosophical struggles, social struggles, these are all interesting as well

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

Traditionally, yes, but I don't think it is mandatory at all

and even if you do consider it mandatory, philosophical struggles, social struggles, these are all interesting as well

Oh yeah.

I just hate to see an audience give up on a superhero because they can't derive any sense of tension from their conflicts, be them primarily physical.

• Options
    I mean I'd love a fight scene between Spider-Man and Mysterio where Peter has to protect a puppy while contending with all of Mysterio's bullshit.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular

Then keep conflicts where he can be made to struggle, no doubt

Just have the majority of those struggles be in his personal life, or in how he helps people, or reconciling how much more good he can do for humanity as a genius scientist than as a super hero

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I mean I'd love a fight scene between Spider-Man and Mysterio where Peter has to protect a puppy while contending with all of Mysterio's bullshit.

Or do this sort of thing, this would be great

"Captain Schnauzer NO! Get away from that!"

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    There are so many amazing moments

god I love This is the End so much

Grey Ghost

OH IS IT?
    IS IT COMPELLING ME, JAY? IS THAT WHAT IT'S DOING?

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    hey you know there were a lot of people on this forum a couple of years back who said that X, Y and Z would never work in a superhero movie and what have we learned, hmmmm?!?

I am not having a go, but I don't think we should give up on audiences like that. People are not stupid. They can consume intellectual media, and do so on a regular basis. A superhero who faces philosophical challenges is not beyond the pale! I refuse to believe it is so!

• Options
    Most of the drama in The Avengers was inter-personal rather than martial and that worked out great

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Basically every fight for Peter Park should in some form or another resemble the Flintstones episode "Pebbles' Birthday Party."

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeEUe0Tr6j4

Basically Peter Parker's entire life

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    hey you know there were a lot of people on this forum a couple of years back who said that X, Y and Z would never work in a superhero movie and what have we learned, hmmmm?!?

I am not having a go, but I don't think we should give up on audiences like that. People are not stupid. They can consume intellectual media, and do so on a regular basis. A superhero who faces philosophical challenges is not beyond the pale! I refuse to believe it is so!

Watchmen?

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Did someone say Black Panther movie?

Aw hells yes.

• Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    I think those kinds of cartoons are why I have such anxiety problems.

I can't even watch the dinner scene in Mrs. Doubtfire without feeling super uncomfortable and anxious. It is terrible.

• Options
    I keep thinking there was a Chuck Jones short that was like Tot Watcher but for the life of me I can't remember it

I thought it might have involved that big sheep dog he liked to use someitmes???

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

Watchmen?

I enjoyed Watchmen to an extent but it was not the best of movies

and, in my opinion, it should never have been a movie in the first place

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I am extra ready for a Black Panther movie. Capture what made him so good in EMH and I am sold.

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    The Watchmen movie was worth it for the beginning montage sequence. After that - meh.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    The Watchmen movie was worth it for the beginning montage sequence. After that - meh.

I actually thought parts of this were way too hamfisted

Like The Comedian being the shooter on the grassy knoll, or the flower in the guBANG

Actually I take it back the gun barrel thing was great

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I'd really like a Punisher vs. Daredevil film.

You can have some awesome philosophical/ideological battles in a story like that.

• Options
    Gun Barrel flower thing was pretty inventive yes

the superhero movie we all need, of course

is a Booster Gold movie

in which Booster Gold is making a movie about himself

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    There are so many amazing moments

god I love This is the End so much

Grey Ghost

OH IS IT?
    IS IT COMPELLING ME, JAY? IS THAT WHAT IT'S DOING?
    GUESS WHAT?

IT'S NOT THAT COMPELLING

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

I actually thought parts of this were way too hamfisted

Like The Comedian being the shooter on the grassy knoll, or the flower in the guBANG

Actually I take it back the gun barrel thing was great

I wanted to see the Comedian killing Woodward and Bernstein but I guess that's harder to represent in a purely visual way

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Just give me a Great Lakes Avengers movie and I'll be happy.

• Options
    @Solar, go with me here.

Do a Booster Gold film about him trying to get a Booster Gold film made all in the style of Get Shorty.

• Options

You can have some awesome philosophical/ideological battles in a story like that.

See I dunno

I think that would be hard to do since the Punisher doesn't really have a philosophy

he's a serial killer and he has his reason and all that

but he is certainly a monster. You can't really do an ethical comparison. You could go down the route of to what we allow our anger to define us, because Daredevil has always been a really, really angry guy

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Daredevil Vs. Punisher isn't a philosophical fight.

Hell, Matt's perfect girl is a hand assassin.

Nah. Punisher Vs. Dardevil, if Matt ever caught him in Hell's Kitchen, would be a bloodbath.

• Options

See I dunno

I think that would be hard to do since the Punisher doesn't really have a philosophy

he's a serial killer and he has his reason and all that

but he is certainly a monster. You can't really do an ethical comparison. You could go down the route of to what we allow our anger to define us, because Daredevil has always been a really, really angry guy

I could make an argument that Frank Castle has a Deontological lean to him.

So yeah, he's got some philosophy to him.

• Options
    Daredevil Vs. Punisher isn't a philosophical fight.

Sure it is. You have Frank deconstructing Matt while Matt deconstructs Frank.

You have the Punisher go on about how Matt's really doing nothing as he's just feeding a corrupt system while Matt deals with what it means to be an agent of justice within the law & outside of it.

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    So this is the most relevant thread to post this so here goes.

I just finished the first episode of Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated.

Holy shit, that is a fun cartoon show.

Also good lord, Fred loves his traps. Like Jesus Christ, that man & his traps...

And Patrick Warburton is the sheriff?!?! YES......
    tumblr_mbnuspkCCk1qgps5f.png

Moth 13 on
  • Options
    I will always consider the PunisherMAX Castle to be the real Castle

and he is not really in a mental state that can be considered human any more

• Options
    Why didn't any of you homps tell me there was gonna be new Sandman stuff this year

• Options
    New sandWHAT

Please Christ tell me Gaiman is on the project, I literally wouldn't trust anyone else in comics with that property

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    New sandWHAT

Please Christ tell me Gaiman is on the project, I literally wouldn't trust anyone else in comics with that property

Sandman: Overture
    Prequel to the existing Sandman stuff, Gaiman is writing, JH Williams III is doing the art

• Options
    edited July 2013
    ACCEPTABLE
    Though I would have loved The Continuing Adventures of Daniel

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Really looking forward to more Gaiman-penned Sandman.

In regards to a Booster Gold film, I nominate James Roday as Booster Gold and Dule Hill as Blue Beetle(Ted Kord). 80s montage and/or dance scene required.

Corbin Bernsen can be Supernova if he shows up.

• Options
    I'm Booster Gold and this is my partner, Gee Buttersnaps

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    hey i made a tumblr for chatting about comics so that i can collect the random thoughts i have about comics that get spread between here, sa, twitter, and my farts, there's a link in my sig you should click it and read those posts

This discussion has been closed.